• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Mupod

I feel like people have forgotten how to do Oryx now that the alt strategy, which I now feel is completely inferior to just killing the ogres and knights method, has become the standard. Way too many groups getting hung up there now.

I've been using both strats depending on my group and I feel like the 'kill knights' is safer for the runner but it can fall apart really easily. The group I ran with last Tuesday was able to keep it together with two deaths. We even once got all 4 detonations with 0 losses, although we got a little lucky as I detonated two myself.

With the knights strategy a lot of people don't seem good at knowing when to get the hell out of there and try to track/finish off the light-eater from the safety of the bubble. Tethering the last knight worked for us but you don't always have that.

I think we need to just start having people sticky grenade + LMG the ogre nearest them as it spawns. The faster it dies, the faster their knight spawns and the longer they have before the ship or acolyte eyes murder them.

The problem I find when I'm not in my normal group is that I'm used to running things a certain way and with a PUG that just doesn't happen.

Blessing bubble in middle strat at Oryx is so much easier than the no knight one for me and it's less boring. I never want to have to do no knight again, it's more boring than totems.

Agreed. If I'm every looking for a group to kill Oryx maybe I'll start making it clear that I want to do the kill ogres method.

Are people really finding they need to find a spot where the orbs can't get to them for Golgoroth? Just stare at his chest and shoot the orbs as they come out.

This is actually the first time I even heard of a cheese. We usually take the gaze top left, run towards that opening in the front left and stay there. The orbs are all coming in a straight line at you, almost one by one.

I've never heard of this wall cheese, but how is it legit and why is it needed? I've never had a problem at Golgi with the standard 1 bubble strat (worst case scenario group wipes 2 or 3 times), and I haven't heard of people having trouble with him outside of day 1. Why try cheesing now?

I meant "legit" as in it works, not that it's necessary.
Nobody's forcing anyone to use it, it's just there (for the moment, at least).

flkraven

Firstly, wow @ getting a good DestinyLFG group. I've only heard horror stories about that site.

Secondly, I agree - pugs on GAF have gotten kinda poor in execution as of late. I've seen too many folks die from silly things, and as time passes in the raid after several wipes, I end up dying from silly things soon (like fall damage after getting the relic when torn between dimensions ugh...).

At the moment, my regular folks are Nami, Figs, and Breezy. I'd like two other people but Math has work to deal with and Twilight Gap is Twilight Gap.

This is just people being hyperbolic. DestinyLFG, reddit/fireteams, are all pretty much the same. The added bonus about GAF is that you typically get people that are older bc of the membership requirement.

As far as getting stuff done, I've always been able to accomplish what I set out to do when using DestinyLFG. Unfortunately, you do sometimes end up rolling with younger people or temperamental people (but you find that everywhere).

There must be. I keep meaning to capture a kill so I can post it as a guide for people, but I forget every time.

It's basically the normal mode strategy except what our group usually does is have 2 permanent floaters, the runner, and then the 3 platform people who are each assigned a number, 1-3. 1 always goes to the platform Oryx slams, 2 to the 2nd, 3 to the 3rd. That way the floaters are always the same. The floaters put up a blessing of light bubble and use touch of malice to melt the ogres as they come up. Platform people are responsible for their knight that spawns opposite them. One of the floaters will need to take care of the 4th knight since there isn't a platform person there. Otherwise, it's the same as normal strategy.

Edit: What flkraven said below

Using ToM and a bubble for infinite double DPS sounds as much like a cheese as the alternate strat. Is there a non bubble method?

E92 M3

While I don't necessarily disagree with this statement, our group had all members over 311 (except me). So, I'm not sure how this applies to them, seeing as how people with such a high light level have to have cleared the raid at least a few times and I can't see them racking up all those kills without accumulating at least a basic level of understanding of the mechanics and how to adapt to them.

I will say that it was surprising to see no one in the group had experience taking the gaze or being the spotter for Warpriest, but neither of those tasks demand particularly quick decision making. I spotted for the first time at WP and it wasn't particularly taxing. I've only been the gazer once (didn't take the gaze in this case though), but shadestep makes it trivial too.

From what I saw, most of the deaths were due to error in judgement and not due to lack of understanding or people being unable to multitask. Quite possibly, most of the people in the group were having an off day.

The problem, like with most raids is that a lot of people don't want to do the "special role" of using relic or whatever. Personally, I loved using the relic, sword, gazing, warpope or jumping. I'll gladly do any of those roles. Fortunately, KF forced many to learn how to jump, but used to be a hassle at daughters before.

And the errors occurred because a lot of things are going on at once. HM can be very challenging.

I've been using both strats depending on my group and I feel like the 'kill knights' is safer for the runner but it can fall apart really easily. The group I ran with last Tuesday was able to keep it together with two deaths. We even once got all 4 detonations with 0 losses, although we got a little lucky as I detonated two myself.

With the knights strategy a lot of people don't seem good at knowing when to get the hell out of there and try to track/finish off the light-eater from the safety of the bubble. Tethering the last knight worked for us but you don't always have that.

I think we need to just start having people sticky grenade + LMG the ogre nearest them as it spawns. The faster it dies, the faster their knight spawns and the longer they have before the ship or acolyte eyes murder them.

Yeah, survival is more important than anything. I think some people may be having trouble sniping their knight down quickly, too. You can kill him before he's even standing if you get a headshot in quickly.

This is actually the first time I even heard of a cheese. We usually take the gaze top left, run towards that opening in the front left and stay there. The orbs are all coming in a straight line at you, almost one by one.

Exactly.

Afrocious

This is gonna sound like a weird request filled with hypocrisy, but I wish there were boss fights or encounters in this game that didn't have cheese and required pure skill to get through it.

I loved the raids in The Old Republic, but that game won't have any new raids for a while I think.

flkraven

I meant "legit" as in it works, not that it's necessary.
Nobody's forcing anyone to use it, it's just there (for the moment, at least).

This is just my opinion, so whatever works for other groups is fine but I find that whenever you try to shoehorn cheese into a strategy that works it typically just takes longer and goes to shit more often than anything else. And it's much less satisfying when you die and when you succeed.

People like cheese because they are so terrified of dying that anyway to make themselves virtually immune is a must-do. This is a carry over from the vanilla days of hiding up top the nexus strike, or staying up top vs the gatekeeper, or hiding in the doorway at phogoth etc etc. I don't know if its people not being good enough or its just the crippling fear of failing in front of your teammates, but as I said before: attempting to cheese (especially with a group not used to it) causes more problems than its worth.

If people are geared enough for hard mode and skilled enough for hard mode, then everyone just plays their role and things go smoothly. edit: except when lag and glitches fuck everything up lol

Using ToM and a bubble for infinite double DPS sounds as much like a cheese as the alternate strat. Is there a non bubble method?

Can always just snipe down the ogres like usual. Probably have the floaters stand on the daughters platform for that.

I don't really see how using the mechanics they give you can be seen as "cheesing", though. It's a term that has lost all meaning in the Destiny community. Is shooting ToM from the invincibility Aura cheesing? Is stacking weapons of light and tether to melt all bosses cheesing? Using ToM plus blessing is utilizing how that weapon and that skill work effectively.

I know right?!

Say, ape, you think you'd be up for some Trials through the weekend? I know I'll be on Sunday at the very least. Debating about if I'll be out of town.

Yessir. I'll be around tonight and tomorrow morning for a few cards. Sunday is a maybe right now. I have a wedding to go to Saturday night and their might be some get together stuff during the day on Sunday. Not sure yet. If you see me on just hit me up.

Afrocious

Honestly, now that I'm 314-315 across all three guardians, I'd be down for doing HM Oryx the normal way.

Yessir. I'll be around tonight and tomorrow morning for a few cards. Sunday is a maybe right now. I have a wedding to go to Saturday night and their might be some get together stuff during the day on Sunday. Not sure yet. If you see me on just hit me up.

Cool beans. Will definitely hit you up when I can.

flkraven

This isn't cheesing. This is using the tools you are provided and figuring out a way to make them fit to succeed. I'm sure there are other strategies, but this one way the puzzle fits together. Also, it saves the floaters from having to spend synths like crazy.

Honestly, now that I'm 314-315 across all three guardians, I'd be down for doing HM Oryx the normal way.

Cool beans. Will definitely hit you up when I can.

I'll be around for Trials later today as well if you guys or anyone else would like to give it a go. Gonna be in relaxed mode, as I seem to do way better when I care less about how I'm doing haha.

I also need to get another Oryx kill at some point as I had to go out of town for a couple days earlier this week.

This is just my opinion, so whatever works for other groups is fine but I find that whenever you try to shoehorn cheese into a strategy that works it typically just takes longer and goes to shit more often than anything else. And it's much less satisfying when you die and when you succeed.

People like cheese because they are so terrified of dying that anyway to make themselves virtually immune is a must-do. This is a carry over from the vanilla days of hiding up top the nexus strike, or staying up top vs the gatekeeper, or hiding in the doorway at phogoth etc etc. I don't know if its people not being good enough or its just the crippling fear of failing in front of your teammates, but as I said before: attempting to cheese (especially with a group not used to it) causes more problems than its worth.

If people are geared enough for hard mode and skilled enough for hard mode, then everyone just plays their role and things go smoothly.

My group heard of this cheese only recently. We had cleared hard mode 6+ times already. If a gaze-taker wants to make their life easier by sitting in a wall instead of shooting the balls and risking death/wipe, then be my guest.
Weird that this is getting such negative response here. If people aren't 100% certain in their skills, yet get the gaze duty due to having lowest damage, then cheese away. I had no problems being in groups that cheesed Crota as well.

So I decided to give Red Death a try yesterday since I can't seem to find a primary that really does it for me in TTK and I miss my messenger so very much.

Of course, I happen to have bought a shit ton of planetary materials so I only had 96 Legendary Mark so I had to knock that shit out really quick.

So I did the PvP Daily (+15=111), PvE Daily (+15=126), 2 of my weekly heroics (+20=146), and then dismantled 2 legendarys that I had been holding on to for no real reason.

Bought my Y2 Red Death and gave it a shot. I had used it in Y1 but didn't care for it. I don't remember my exact complaints but I recall not liking the upward pull and the Rate of Fire, but both of those seem to have changed for the better for me in Y2.

I played a few rift games with it last night and had a blast.

This was the very first one, so I think I may have found a new staple for me:
g3swSE9.png

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This is gonna sound like a weird request filled with hypocrisy, but I wish there were boss fights or encounters in this game that didn't have cheese and required pure skill to get through it.

I loved the raids in The Old Republic, but that game won't have any new raids for a while I think.

I've played with people who have repeatedly had trouble staying alive during the opening adds part of Golgoroth. Not sure making boss fights require more skill would be a good thing (though I welcome it - maybe that's what challenge mode is for).

This isn't cheesing. This is using the tools you are provided and figuring out a way to make them fit to succeed. I'm sure there are other strategies, but this one way the puzzle fits together. Also, it saves the floaters from having to spend synths like crazy.

Isn't that what people are doing when they wait to kill the ogres? Just making the timing of the puzzle work in their favor? I don't think either is a cheese, but I'm curious how some people think one is, but somehow the other isn't.

Afrocious

So I decided to give Red Death a try yesterday since I can't seem to find a primary that really does it for me in TTK and I miss my messenger so very much.

Of course, I happen to have bought a shit ton of planetary materials so I only had 96 Legendary Mark so I had to knock that shit out really quick.

So I did the PvP Daily (+15=111), PvE Daily (+15=126), 2 of my weekly heroics (+20=146), and then dismantled 2 legendarys that I had been holding on to for no real reason.

Bought my Y2 Red Death and gave it a shot. I had used it in Y1 but didn't care for it. I don't remember my exact complaints but I recall not liking the upward pull and the Rate of Fire, but both of those seem to have changed for the better for me in Y2.

Goddamn. I just got my first ever Red Death in Destiny this morning. I gotta buy the Year 2 version later.

New raid cheese: Stagger Oryx before he claps his hands and you won't wipe from the darkness.

I've got a better super secret tip. When oryx summons the ball of darkness and you have to fight the Echo, the person who goes into the echo ball isn't random, but is actually the person further away from Oryx. So you can decide who goes in by standing the furthest away from him.

Aetheon plays by the same rules when teleporting people in time.

kappa

flkraven

My group heard of this cheese only recently. We had cleared hard mode 6+ times already. If a gaze-taker wants to make their life easier by sitting in a wall instead of shooting the balls and risking death/wipe, then be my guest.
Weird that this is getting such negative response here. If people aren't 100% certain in their skills, yet get the gaze duty due to having lowest damage, then cheese away. I had no problems being in groups that cheesed Crota as well.

Like I said, everyone is entitled to play how they want. I just personally can't wrap my head around why people enjoy doing that. Moreso speaking about the habitual glitchers that don't do anything but glitch, but I don't even know what this game is for them? If any difficult content means glitching into a wall or hiding on a platform so you don't have to engage with it, then what is the motivation to play at all? To get the gear? But why get better gear if the difficult/complex stuff is just being cheesed anyways? Is it just the addiction to pulling the leaver?

I did the HM Oryx normally with a GAF group when I was 308. Others were around 310-314-ish. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you don't really need everyone to be 314 to do it the normal way. 1, 2, 3 platform designation along with two high-level floaters doing DPS on ogres means that platform guys really only have to worry about the Light Eater Knights. So, once you know WHERE they'll spawn, two sniper shots can easily dispatch them. You do need to be hyper-aware of taken adds which might put up Acolyte eyes and kill you (by you, I mean platform holders), but if you aren't completely oblivious, it isn't that difficult to deal with them.

It's actually an easier strat than the alt one where the ogres are left to roam around freely and can stomp the relic-carrier mid-animation when he's trying to steal the aura. It also requires less coordination among the teammates and there's no chance to mistime the ogre kills since you're killing them ASAP anyway.

flkraven

Isn't that what people are doing when they wait to kill the ogres? Just making the timing of the puzzle work in their favor? I don't think either is a cheese, but I'm curious how some people think one is, but somehow the other isn't.

When talking about cheese, I was mainly discussing this new glitch-through-the-wall at Golgoroth. I don't feel that the no-knight strat is cheese, I genuinely think it's inferior, more subject to rng/chance, and less fun.

StMeph

Hit 40 last night, Light level around 210. I'll be picking up the exotic armor from Xur later tonight, so that should boost it by ~10 points. I'm also saving legendary marks to get the 280 ghost shell from the Vanguard vendor, but I have only one Arms weekly quest left, which isn't enough to get me to Rank 1 and so I'll miss out on the Eirene sniper/a 280 weapon.

After that my gear progression is unclear. Am I just supposed to grind engrams and slowly decrypt them and climb that way? How high do Rares go? At what point do I switch to Legendaries that I need to infuse with higher Light Rares instead?

Must have used it a long time ago. It's been like this for a while. The fire rate used to be slower than now but it did more damage. They nerfed the damage even more going into 2.0. Used to do 36 headshot with AB now it's 34.

It's prominence is starting to make me hate it. It's a real solid gun with an exotic perk that's pretty damn bonkers for something so competitive already. There's nothing better in short-mid engagements.

Cruxist

Ran the daily all by my lonesome yesterday. Not terribly tough, but that goblin invincibility on the last boss is super frustrating. Wiped there once only though.

The lore(ish) design for that encounter is really spectacular by the way.

Afrocious

Hit 40 last night, Light level around 210. I'll be picking up the exotic armor from Xur later tonight, so that should boost it by ~10 points. I'm also saving legendary marks to get the 280 ghost shell from the Vanguard vendor, but I have only one Arms weekly quest left, which isn't enough to get me to Rank 1 and so I'll miss out on the Eirene sniper/a 280 weapon.

After that my gear progression is unclear. Am I just supposed to grind engrams and slowly decrypt them and climb that way? How high do Rares go? At what point do I switch to Legendaries that I need to infuse with higher Light Rares instead?

Just do missions with the purple markers that give out armor upgrades and such. You'll climb light levels easily.

When you're around 290-300, you'll want to do KF Normal.

Bradach

I'd recommend loading the dreadnaught patrol and joining some randoms doing a court of oryx. Once you have done one go to the tower and talk to Eris. She'll then give you the court of oryx quest which, when complete, rewards you with a 300 light artifact.

flkraven

Continue doing quests (you'll get some shiny exotics along the way too). If you are bored with that do the Court of Oryx or the Strike Playlist.

Then you gotta define cheating in the scope of Destiny.

See what I'm getting at?

Cheating is abusing the game and/or other playeres by outside sources. The perfect example is of course the lag switch, or pulling the cable on Crota.

Cheesing is abusing the in-game mechanics and causing an aspect of the game to become trivialized beyond the point of effort (in my opinion). I don't think the No-Knight strategy is cheesing because you still have to actually perform several tasks of the encounter. The ogres still have to die, the bombs still have to go off, oryx still has to be stunned, and the echo still has to die. However, something like pushing Aetheon or the Templar off the map via grenade avoidance is cheesing. You have players that are there to do nothing but literally just watch while someone else does all the work, the enemies were never meant to move in those ways, and the game was obviously not designed to be played in such a way.

Cheating should be a pretty hard definition for people, but Cheesing is usually whatever someone sees as devaluing the game, and that's fine. Some people like the challenge more than others. Some people take pride in their gameplay and don't want something to diminish that.

This is really all there is to it.

Must have used it a long time ago. It's been like this for a while. The fire rate used to be slower than now but it did more damage. They nerfed the damage even more going into 2.0. Used to do 36 headshot with AB now it's 34.

It's prominence is starting to make me hate it. It's a real solid gun with an exotic perk that's pretty damn bonkers for something so competitive already. There's nothing better in short-mid engagements.

This is probably one of the reasons I actually like it, because the perk is actually noticable and not any of the super shitty year 2 exotic perks that are very specialized and don't even have guaranteed chances to proc...

Top Bottom