• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

JonCha

So the NM run that happened last night took just three hours which I was happy with but it sounded like drops for most people were pretty lame (I got a 302 chest and 300 shotgun ...). Goodness knows when I'll get above 300 Light; it seems like it's going to be an arduous process. That's if I can get even be bothered to keep doing the raid every week.

So the NM run that happened last night took just three hours which I was happy with but it sounded like drops for most people were pretty lame (I got a 302 chest and 300 shotgun ...). Goodness known when I'll get above 300 Light; it seems like it's going to be an arduous process. That's if I can get even be bothered to keep doing the raid every week.

3 hours is a really good time for new players but you can pretty easily get it down to ~1 hour once everyone knows what to do. So it's not too bad to mock it out each week but the loot tables are always bad. Can't fix that, just have to hope you get lucky :-/

JonCha

3 hours is a really good time for new players but you can pretty easily get it down to ~1 hour once everyone knows what to do. So it's not too bad to mock it out each week but the loot tables are always bad. Can't fix that, just have to hope you get lucky :-/

It's actually my third run, but the runs before that took five hours which was a painful experience. The main holdups were Golgoroth and and the witches; Oryx was pretty painless actually.

I don't have the 310 artefact so that's maybe something I can look into getting next week if I do the raid again. I have 297 arms which are holding me back along with my weapons - my Hung Jury is 304 but Black Spindle and the sword are 300.

What level do I need to be for Hard Mode? 307+?

Mindlog

So the NM run that happened last night took just three hours which I was happy with but it sounded like drops for most people were pretty lame (I got a 302 chest and 300 shotgun ...). Goodness known when I'll get above 300 Light; it seems like it's going to be an arduous process. That's if I can get even be bothered to keep doing the raid every week.
Now I just figured out what Moldering Shards, Etheric Light etc should really be used for.
They should temporarily boost your light level.
I had it wrong before when suggesting a permanent light level boost.

There are quite a few existing mechanisms that could help players on the cusp of doing the next event that boosts their light level.

Instead of sparkly head after a Nightfall imagine some brilliant incandescence.
Instead of a full week the Nightfall bonus could last only 3-4 days with reset always canceling the bonus.
This means Tuesdays are still a big deal, but players aren't as beholden to Tuesday clearing everything as they were before.
The bonus scales to give sub-290 a bigger boost that 300+

Yes, Nightfall should offer Brilliant Incandescence. BI works on an inverted IB power level curve and provides a very modest boost to light level.

It's actually my third run, but the runs before that took five hours which was a painful experience. The main holdups were Golgoroth and and the witches; Oryx was pretty painless actually.

I don't have the 310 artefact so that's maybe something I can look into getting next week if I do the raid again. I have 297 arms which are holding me back along with my weapons - my Hung Jury is 304 but Black Spindle and the sword are 300.

What level do I need to be for Hard Mode? 307+?

1. Golgoroth gets easier once everyone gets the timing down. The daughters portion remains a pain even on Hard Mode unless everyone on the team is at least halfway decent at running the relic.

2. You can skip most of the Taken War stuff and get the 310 artifact in 2-3 hours.

3. I did the Hard Mode when I was 305. You can do pretty much everything before Oryx at 305, if you're competent. At Oryx you are really going to need everyone to be around 308+ due to the DPS check.

1. Golgoroth gets easier once everyone gets the timing down. The daughters portion remains a pain even on Hard Mode unless everyone on the team is at least halfway decent at running the relic.

2. You can skip most of the Taken War stuff and get the 310 artifact in 2-3 hours.

3. I did the Hard Mode when I was 305. You can do pretty much everything before Oryx at 305, if you're competent. At Oryx you are really going to need everyone to be around 308+ due to the DPS check.

I got through everything up to daughters on my 300 hunter alt, albeit I suppose with 305 weapons and 295 armour.

I am by no means slayerage!!! I'm probably below average for gaf.

We had a few people at 313/314 though :) Group average was probably around 306 or so.

Daughters would probably be OK too so long as the whole group can muster the DPS.

Ken

Some WIP on the Destiny UI design excercise I'm doing for fun right now.

Now that I've finished (90%) of how Emotes will work, I'm moving on to do Consumables, Loadouts and Subclass in-game radial menus and the "back end" menu work of how a player assigns items in radial menus.

PS: I'm not a graphic designer or a UI designer, so please excuse me if it looks rough or doesn't really match up with Destiny's aesthetic.

You should do something with the Quests UI cause it is way too busy and full of useless graphic clutter.

Hi guys. I'm finally giving destiny a go in a few weeks. Getting game with all DLC as a birthday gift from the wife.

I doubt I will play the pve stuff to a point I will raid so I was wondering how PvP is?

I currently just use bf4 for PvP when I'm in the mood but I'm kinda bored of the cod and bf style these days. If PvP in destiny popular / decent.

Don't care about how competitive it is really, just how fun it is. Or is it an unballenced mess?

GutZ31

Hi guys. I'm finally giving destiny a go in a few weeks. Getting game with all DLC as a birthday gift from the wife.

I doubt I will play the pve stuff to a point I will raid so I was wondering how PvP is?

I currently just use bf4 for PvP when I'm in the mood but I'm kinda bored of the cod and bf style these days. If PvP in destiny popular / decent.

Don't care about how competitive it is really, just how fun it is. Or is it an unballenced mess?

Crucible is unbalanced for many reasons in destiny, but the fun factor is there if you make use of your abilities and loadouts.
You will still need to do at least the first few missions to unlock crucible if I remember correctly, but shouldn't take long.
If you are coming from battle field, you may find this a whole lot more arcadey.
No bullet drop from sniping.
Shotguns with high impact are effective at auto rifle ranges.
Pulse rifles with high rate of fire/stability are king.
All other primary weapon types are ok, but hand cannons are nerfed to hell.

Hope this gives you a bit of insight into the state of destiny pvp.

Crucible is unbalanced for many reasons in destiny, but the fun factor is there if you make use of your abilities and loadouts.
You will still need to do at least the first few missions to unlock crucible if I remember correctly, but shouldn't take long.
If you are coming from battle field, you may find this a whole lot more arcadey.
No bullet drop from sniping.
Shotguns with high impact are effective at auto rifle ranges.
Pulse rifles with high rate of fire/stability are king.
All other primary weapon types are ok, but hand cannons are nerfed to hell.

Hope this gives you a bit of insight into the state of destiny pvp.

I like Arcady shooters as well. Best ever for me are the unreal tournament days on PC. Plus pvz garden warfare and stuff like team fortress 2. I will prob also do most the pve single player stuff before I do the PvP. I mean to try it once I'm bored of pve stuff. Kinda how I use battlefield and pvz and filler games when nothing else is out that takes my fancy.

Balboa

So the NM run that happened last night took just three hours which I was happy with but it sounded like drops for most people were pretty lame (I got a 302 chest and 300 shotgun ...). Goodness knows when I'll get above 300 Light; it seems like it's going to be an arduous process. That's if I can get even be bothered to keep doing the raid every week.

If you haven't already get the 310 Exotic Sword that should push you over level 300, then you just need a few Exotic engrams to decrypt at 310 to upgrade your other gear so you won't always need the sword equipped and you are set.

Yo, Boguester, are you gentlemen doing some trials at some point over the next 10 hours? If so, can I join the queue?

Not sure when wicked or Rubenov is getting back online. They've logged some crazy hours this weekend, Rubenov was going for 20 hours straight when he finished playing earlier. I'm taking a break now but I'll be around for a while yet if maybe wicked shows up earlier since it's already 10am for him. If not in the next 10 hrs then I'll be around again later tonight (EST time), maybe 18 hours from now.

Edit: and yeah I'm always down to help w some runs but just need another helper around and those are in short supply.

deadduck

Not sure when wicked or Rubenov is getting back online. They've logged some crazy hours this weekend, Rubenov was going for 20 hours straight when he finished playing earlier. I'm taking a break now but I'll be around for a while yet if maybe wicked shows up earlier since it's already 10am for him. If not in the next 10 hrs then I'll be around again later tonight (EST time), maybe 18 hours from now.

Edit: and yeah I'm always down to help w some runs but just need another helper around and those are in short supply.

20 hours, Rubenov must be seeing nothing but little invectives in his sleep! That's some serious Trials. I feel bad when I've cancelled the TV 4 hour auto turn off 3 times.

I do forget about the time differences, if we can't match up maybe another weekend, no rush :)

Il prob do the story missions etc solo and strikes with matchmaking. I have no interest in the raids.

That's a shame guardian. Raids are the best content (as you as you don't call Crotas End a raid).

Watching Giggle Monster try to double carry two super scrubs hurts my soul so much. He'll literally say "get the revive right behind you, it's clear" and the guy will dead sprint in the opposite direction for no reason. Like... I can't... I don't understand... my head hurts.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Thanks for the runs Ze and Ghaz. Every run is hard fought. Of course the rewards are laughable. This game loves to give me dupes. Last week I got the Summoner three times, this week I got the scout three times which is redundant because last week I also got the scout three times since it's a freebie at 7 wins.

Anyway big play. Thanks to my homegurl Eirene.

rtrtrt74b63.gif

Watching Giggle Monster try to double carry two super scrubs hurts my soul so much. He'll literally say "get the revive right behind you, it's clear" and the guy will dead sprint in the opposite direction for no reason. Like... I can't... I don't understand... my head hurts.

Eh, reaction time is different for everyone and it's easy to make mistakes in the heat of the moment. I played a game the other day where I nearly sweeped the other team as the last man standing, but we lost the round because I hesitated to pick up revives that i didn't know were right beside me.

It's good to have a team in constant communication though. A lot of deaths can be easily avoided with more direct callouts.

Trakan

I can't believe that not only did Bungie let that Litc sniper be sold once, but that they didn't do anything to prevent it from showing up again. Do they even care about broken shit at this point?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I can't believe that not only did Bungie let that Litc sniper be sold once, but that they didn't do anything to prevent it from showing up again. Do they even care about broken shit at this point?

Mine was a drop from gunsmith rank up. I guess you can it's the perfect roll for it too. I hated it when I first used it but stuck to it and now it's my favorite sniper until I find my HB successor.

Eh, reaction time is different for everyone and it's easy to make mistakes in the heat of the moment. I played a game the other day where I nearly sweeped the other team as the last man standing, but we lost the round because I hesitated to pick up revives that i didn't know were right beside me.

It's good to have a team in constant communication though. A lot of deaths can be easily avoided with more direct callouts.

I understand they're getting carried for a reason, but you'd have to see the play to fully comprehend the scrubiosity. The guy was standing 6 inches in front of his orb, with no enemies nearby. Then he just sprinted away from it into an empty field while the other team got their revives. Less reaction time and more like not understanding "behind you" vs "in front of you."

I'm being hard on the guy but the reality is people panic a lot in Trials since it's so stressful and forces people to make plays. It's not like 6v6 where everyone is hopping and bopping around willy nilly. You have to make specific plays at specific times or your team will lose, basically.

Couldn't agree more about the constant communication. It's the corner stone of Trials success, nothing bugs me more than if people aren't calling out their own plays or calling out the enemy movement when they're dead. Communication can make up for a lot of gunskill but you still need a baseline of that across the team or at least one person who can consistently win their 1v1s and get picks with their sniper.

Get a pick, camp the orb, win the round. Creating an orb is like having a Control point; orb control is to Trials what zone control is to Control. You force the enemy team into predictable movements and strategies since you know where they're trying to go. Like Control, you don't sit right on the orb but rather hang off it just enough to anticipate their approach.

Btw, let me know if you want to do some trials carries sometime.

KZObsessed

Anyone willing to help on level 40 Undying Mind strike for Hunger Pangs?

I'm at the boss so should be quick.

Psn: FFObsessed

Completed Thanx thuway!

Do people intentionally throttle their connections for PvP or something?

I see a ton of red bar connections and they always destroy everyone else in the lobby.

Yay, finally! Three sunbreakers down in one life, and my first 15 kill streak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RYvcub1EWQ&feature=youtu.be

Big plays! Other team was probably calling you "Cursed Thrall"... now that's a terrible joke if I've ever seen one.

Although I died a little bit inside when that Titan rushed you with a hand cannon and had you dead to rights except all his point blank shots magically curved around you. RIP HCs.

Top Bottom