• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

lt519

Hey question on tracking loot and graphs:

I'm making an app that can track my drops. I want to display this data visually, but I have no clue what's a good graph to use. I figured a line graph would be fine, or even a scatter plot, to show how much RNG has screwed me over, but none of these seem to fit the bill as far as showing how all over the place endgame loot is.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Histogram that up my man, you lose progression as a dimension though but it'd be good for endgame. You can bin it by LL on the x axis and number of occurrences on the Y. I have a degree in probabilistic mathematics, I could have a field day with the data (;

Yea, after that, you can tell how much extra effort I put in for them. Don't treat somebody that's working their ass off for you, like shit, over and over again.

Hmm, i'm in a similar spot. I've been working on a project, haven't had a sat or sun off in months. Infact there's a festival on wednesday and I'll still be working, trying to make the program work in real time by friday.
That's not gonna happen

All my work is in AI and vision and i'm being paid peanuts for it. The plus side is that I'm treated like royalty and i've got to network with a lot of pioneering people in the field.

Lnkn52

I'm making an app that can track my drops. I want to display this data visually, but I have no clue what's a good graph to use. I figured a line graph would be fine, or even a scatter plot, to show how much RNG has screwed me over, but none of these seem to fit the bill as far as showing how all over the place endgame loot is.

Isn't the loot that you get up to matter of opinion whether it's good or not?

Are you considering good loot light level of 315 or above? Exotic Drops good or bad if they are dupes?

Namikaze1

I honestly don't know what to do for you, breezy. It's just too much hair.

Nami, I want a Santa hat on my Warlock. :p
8A0DuZI.jpg

Is there any way to put a Santa hat (Papai Noel) in my avatar too?
7ItYEom.jpg

edit: ...rngesus better give me something good for all this tomorrow.

MrDaravon

It's really minor in the grand scheme of things, but it's super crazy that Eva hasn't sold the Winterborn Mark emblem in over 2 months (9/1/15). Since Taken King's release she has sold every other emblem multiple times, even the other really rare ones. For all practical intents and purposes it's really a non-issue, but just another of many many things going on with Destiny that I just don't understand how it happens. I can't think of any actual legitimate reason why they would want to specifically keep this one vendor emblem rare, so it becomes a question of is their vendor item selection actually literally random, is it manual and whoever is doing it just doesn't care, or what? I've gone from being really annoyed about it to becoming super fascinated by it the longer it goes without being sold, especially since she's sold all of the other "rare" emblems multiple times now. Like with so many other things with this game, I just don't understand lol.

Unless I'm 100% positive I nail this job interview later today or get the job on the spot (unlikely) I'm going to have to uninstall Destiny tomorrow to make room for Fallout 4 for my wife since this is a shared PS4 and the HDD is full >_>. You've got one goddamn job Eva.

E92 M3

Why is it that getting a Year 2 version, doesn't fill up a Year 1 weapon slot? I will definitely not be wasting strange coins on getting a Year 1 Hawkmoon and 4th Horseman.

Weird design choice by Bungie.

Kyoufu

I just did the daily story with Wicked and didn't get marks. Still says incomplete for me.

I'm confused (but not bothered).

Why is it that getting a Year 2 version, doesn't fill up a Year 1 weapon slot? I will definitely not be wasting strange coins on getting a Year 1 Hawkmoon and 4th Horseman.

Weird design choice by Bungie.

I noticed that too, and it makes me reluctant to touch legacy engrams until they change it (if they ever do).

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Bringing out the Christmas hats for avatars huh? I gotta find the one I used last year. My poor guardian.

What's the story you want to tell? What's the question you want to answer?

Here are some ideas of data that could be graphed and the relevant question:

• Drops per activity of various type (Legacy Strikes vs Vanguard Strikes vs Heroic Strikes vs Crucible) -
    Are the activities uniformly rewarding?
  • Drops per enemy -
    Are drops coming more often from bosses or from mobs (and what tier or mob, yellow or white)?
  • Average Strike Length -
    Is one strike considerable faster than the others? and thus better loot potential?
  • Difference in time & loot for the same strike Heroic vs Not -
    Does Heroic offer better rewards at the increased difficulty & time commitment?
  • For the raid, odds of a drop vs shards vs nothing, normal & heroic
    Why are shards a drop at all for Oryx? and why does Bungie not think that we should be rewarded for doing the most difficult activity in the game? and why on earth do I get 300 drops when I do get something? How does that help when there are 300 blues out there?
Not saying you have to answer all those questions, those are just things I'm curious about.

And for all drops it'd be interesting to see
  • Light level
  • Slot
  • Item Tier (Green, Blue, Purple, Yellow)
  • Decoded yes/ no
  • Meta valuable perks
The problem with all of these is sample size. Activities in Destiny are long by comparison with other loot games and drop rate is low. Compared to something like Diablo 3 where Rifts drop tons of gear every minute and rifts are cleared in just over 5 minutes, Destiny feels glacial.

I still remember the time that Diablo 3 doubled the legendary drop rate for its anniversary and then everyone was like "this feels pretty good" and they just kept it there. Really highlights how stingy Destiny is.

lt519

Thanks Nami!!

Soooo remember when Playstation said my password reset email would arrive within 24 hours (submitted it on Friday at 1:00PM)....well just got it now. Thanks Sony, glad I got someone competent to fix it for me on Friday.

Afrocious

Histogram that up my man, you lose progression as a dimension though but it'd be good for endgame. You can bin it by LL on the x axis and number of occurrences on the Y. I have a degree in probabilistic mathematics, I could have a field day with the data (;

Awesome suggestion. I was rattling my hungover brain trying to figure out what each axis should represent and what you say makes sense. At first, I was using a scatter plot with LL on Y and encounter on X. Maybe a histogram would be more accurate. I'll see what I can whip up.

At the moment, I'm collecting data that looks like the below in a database table. Note: This is all test data and I can type whatever I want in each of the fields, so everything's pretty malleable. Take this data as a grain of salt as far as loot goes since it's all test stuff (Some of these data is outright impossible), but hopefully you see what I'm trying to record. I dunno if there's other figures I should take into account.

Hunter | Daughters | Cloak | 319 | 11/03/2015
Warlock | Oryx | Auto Rifle | 304 | 10/23/2015
Titan | Totems | Fusion Rifle | 310 | 11/03/2015
Titan | Totems | Fusion Rifle | 310 | 11/03/2015
Warlock | Oryx | Auto Rifle | 310 | 11/03/2015
Hunter | Totems | Ghost | 319 | 11/03/2015
Titan | Golgoroth | Chest | 314 | 11/03/2015
Titan | Daughters | Mark | 313 | 11/04/2015
Warlock | Totems | Ghost | 301 | 11/04/2015
Titan | Totems | Ghost | 300 | 11/05/2015

Isn't the loot that you get up to matter of opinion whether it's good or not?

Are you considering good loot light level of 315 or above? Exotic Drops good or bad if they are dupes?

Of course it's up to opinion. I'm just making an app to record data for the hell of it.

lt519

Awesome suggestion. I was rattling my hungover brain trying to figure out what each axis should represent and what you say makes sense. At first, I was using a scatter plot with LL on Y and encounter on X. Maybe a histogram would be more accurate. I'll see what I can whip up.

You could certainly do a 3 dimensional histogram as well if you want to do Y is LL, X is Encounter Type (NF, Golgoroth, Heroic, etc), and Z is number of occurrences. Ultimately you'll want more than just one plot to summarize everything (i.e. distinguishing between armor/weapon drops). Not sure how you'd handle no drops too, could just fudge it as a bin above 320 light level for now so as to not throw off the scale with a 0. Or just sum up all the occurrences/encounters and throw a drop percentage rate in the title.

I imagine Bungie already runs a lot of this but it'd be fun to see what our individual sample sizes yield.

Future

I hope they realize that the shotgun nerf they implemented didn't really do anything.

-nerf shotgun range
-nerf sniper AA
-buff handcannons

that's the abridged version of what would make pvp better in a nutshell. I've already put out a long list of what actually needs to be looked at (which was very similar to one that Zoba spelled out) but the 3 things listed should really be top priority.

I'd also do something about pulses. They have the same issued as the old hand cannons... being useful at long range makes them useful at any range. I feel like long range primaries need long range scopes. The should have zero AA at close range. Basically force guns to be viable only at intended ranges

Afrocious

Awesome! So cute!

What's the story you want to tell? What's the question you want to answer?

Here are some ideas of data that could be graphed and the relevant question:

• Drops per activity of various type (Legacy Strikes vs Vanguard Strikes vs Heroic Strikes vs Crucible) -
    Are the activities uniformly rewarding?
  • Drops per enemy -
    Are drops coming more often from bosses or from mobs (and what tier or mob, yellow or white)?
  • Average Strike Length -
    Is one strike considerable faster than the others? and thus better loot potential?
  • Difference in time & loot for the same strike Heroic vs Not -
    Does Heroic offer better rewards at the increased difficulty & time commitment?
  • For the raid, odds of a drop vs shards vs nothing, normal & heroic
    Why are shards a drop at all for Oryx? and why does Bungie not think that we should be rewarded for doing the most difficult activity in the game? and why on earth do I get 300 drops when I do get something? How does that help when there are 300 blues out there?
Not saying you have to answer all those questions, those are just things I'm curious about.

And for all drops it'd be interesting to see
  • Light level
  • Slot
  • Item Tier (Green, Blue, Purple, Yellow)
  • Decoded yes/ no
  • Meta valuable perks
The problem with all of these is sample size. Activities in Destiny are long by comparison with other loot games and drop rate is low. Compared to something like Diablo 3 where Rifts drop tons of gear every minute and rifts are cleared in just over 5 minutes, Destiny feels glacial.

I still remember the time that Diablo 3 doubled the legendary drop rate for its anniversary and then everyone was like "this feels pretty good" and they just kept it there. Really highlights how stingy Destiny is.

Hmm. I've been focusing on KF NM/HM drops, ignoring shards entirely for the scope of my application. Your questions are some I definitely would like answered.

As far as the technical side of things, you've somewhat highlighted something I've been curious about since I started making this thing: would it be possible to track where and when loot drops for a guardian? That would definitely give me an excuse to mess with the Destiny Companion App's API. I know we have stuff like Destiny DB and apps that allow us to swap gear between alts and the vault, but are there actual loot tracking apps yet? I should look into this.

Every Friday until Reset. So 4 days on, 3 days off.

repeated until it doesn't.

Thanks, so there's no specific time frame for how many weekends the event will take place? I'm just trying to play Elimination, but I'm not seeing it listed and I think Trials is the reason for that. I'm at that point in the Crucible quest-line.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I lost my old avatar. :'(

Some new tips from Reddit regarding 3oC. I've had good luck with mine but I shall try this out to see the results.

• Make sure that you do not have the 3oC buff active (kill a ultra if you do)
  • Load into the vanguard strike playlist (Heroic strikes seem to work as well)
  • Complete two strikes without 3oC
  • On the beginning of the third strike (once you have loaded in, and are on the ground) activate a Three of Coin and proceed the strike as normal
  • Killing an ultra has given us a 90% chance of an exotic
  • Exit back to orbit and return to the playlist

Number45

I lost my old avatar. :'(

Some new tips from Reddit regarding 3oC. I've had good luck with mine but I shall try this out to see the results.
I might give this a try. I use them on the level 36 list because I've noticed no benefit of running the heroics (other than that they're usually more enjoyable) but I suspect I've been wasting them due to using them too frequently.

Down into single figures for the first time in ages, and days left before I can buy more (and I'm feeling the lack of strange coins as well). D:

I don't know why I can't find a successful GAF group for Oryx HM.

My regular group actually consists of players I met in LFG and we get it done without any problems.

DGAF pls.

What strategy do you use? Ignore knights or kill knights?

I find that less people die while ignoring knights but the runner has to be super pro.

Trakan

I'd also do something about pulses. They have the same issued as the old hand cannons... being useful at long range makes them useful at any range. I feel like long range primaries need long range scopes. The should have zero AA at close range. Basically force guns to be viable only at intended ranges

Scouts are fine as long range primaries. They aren't very good up close. Pulses should be more medium range.

Thanks, so there's no specific time frame for how many weekends the event will take place? I'm just trying to play Elimination, but I'm not seeing it listed and I think Trials is the reason for that. I'm at that point in the Crucible quest-line.

Trials counts as elimination in some parts of the game, so you may give it a shot.

Hmm. I've been focusing on KF NM/HM drops, ignoring shards entirely for the scope of my application. Your questions are some I definitely would like answered.

You should absolutely include shards because Bungie includes them as a primary drop from bosses. Which is such a kick in the shin. Shards would be a great secondary drop, but it's like getting 4 strange coins in a Year One Nightfall. Totally letdown.

As far as raid drops go, Light is the biggest thing. I think Bungie designed Raid loot to be good for doing the raid and for infusing. Top quality guns/weapons they want to come from drops elsewhere, but the drop rate is waaaay too low for that system to actually be working.

As far as the technical side of things, you've somewhat highlighted something I've been curious about since I started making this thing: would it be possible to track where and when loot drops for a guardian? That would definitely give me an excuse to mess with the Destiny Companion App's API. I know we have stuff like Destiny DB and apps that allow us to swap gear between alts and the vault, but are there actual loot tracking apps yet? I should look into this.

That would be cool, I suppose an API call could spot inventory/postmaster differences between the last call. But that is a brute force method. I wonder how frequently you can do API calls before Bungie gets annoyed?

Frenden

Banned
Had an around 4 KDR and Phantom control match with the First Curse, but I don't quite get why/how. It must just be the extra range when ADSing making it more viable than most other hand cannons. And the slow fire rate means bloom has time to calm down before a follow up shot gets loosed, I guess. The accuracy cone/RNG bullets are easily the worst part of hand cannons now and range with a slower fire rate combats that a bit.

God, the gun is a total turd, but I seem to be doing well with it. I've never been so perplexed by an outcome as I am with the ~10 games I've First Cursed.

I'm partial to Graviton + Taniks + Chatterwhite myself.

Graviton pairs well with the Dead Orbit cloak (regular and exotic) and all those shaders. I wear it with Chatterwhite a lot too.

I need 2x hm oryx kills as well.

Is this the day I brave LFG?

say it ain't so!!! bring me with you if you do?

can we put on the Drizzay-signal?

edit: just put in an order for the Vader PS4 for Battlefront.
Join the darkside!
we have cookies!
Fallout 4 pip-boy is otw to my front door, but I will still raid and stuff to get my light to 3-teen levels. hopefully there will be enough activity here to git 'er dun.

Afrocious

You could certainly do a 3 dimensional histogram as well if you want to do Y is LL, X is Encounter Type (NF, Golgoroth, Heroic, etc), and Z is number of occurrences. Ultimately you'll want more than just one plot to summarize everything (i.e. distinguishing between armor/weapon drops). Not sure how you'd handle no drops too, could just fudge it as a bin above 320 light level for now so as to not throw off the scale with a 0. Or just sum up all the occurrences/encounters and throw a drop percentage rate in the title.

I imagine Bungie already runs a lot of this but it'd be fun to see what our individual sample sizes yield.

I wish I were more knowledgeable about graphs and data. At the moment, I'm checking out the documentation for the library I'm using to handle graphs. They do allow histograms, but I dunno if this is developed enough to handle your suggestions:

http://www.pygal.org/en/latest/documentation/types/histogram.html

Basically, I don't know jack about graphs outside of what I learned in high school.

PuMa

Top Bottom