• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Afrocious

Messing around with the api a bit and I'm starting to see how apps like loadouts move gear around. Gear isn't transferred directly to characters, but instead to the vault. When swapping between characters, the gear goes into the vault first, and then moved to the character you want to hold that gear. This explains errors I'd get when moving armor pieces and materials - I have so much crap.

Finally sold the big account i've been working on since the spring. Yay me!

Cool! What do you do?

E92 M3

Finally sold the big account i've been working on since the spring. Yay me!

edit: is the patch coming later today?

Q3L54vG.png

zewone

Question:

I'm toying with the idea of buying a 23" IPS monitor for PS4 gaming. I'm currently playing on a 55" HDTV, but I think the colors and pixel density of the smaller monitor would look great.

Am I crazy?

7446.akimbo.jpg

Damn, do I miss MW 2 so much. What a crazy fun game.

Was MW2 always this ugly? I remember it being a gorgeous game.

My favorite FPS ever. Had so much damn fun.

Agent

7446.akimbo.jpg

Damn, do I miss MW 2 so much. What a crazy fun game.

Ah, memories. I put so much time into that game.

I would give my money so fast to Activision if they made a remastered version.

I would also throw my money at the screen for a remastered version of SOCOM 1/2. (I feel old now)

Listening to Dan's Q&A after his Mercury Run was really great. There's not really anything revelatory. Dan sounds really excited about Destiny's future, both in general and some specific stuff he'll be working on. It doesn't sound like Vault updates are anything imminent, just a some day thing.

Dan, if you're reading this, I'm totally up for the Vault anytime. That place is magical.

But man, all that talk about his history at Bungie really makes me want to go back and play Halo: Reach. And ODST.

Question:

I'm toying with the idea of buying a 23" IPS monitor for PS4 gaming. I'm currently playing on a 55" HDTV, but I think the colors and pixel density of the smaller monitor would look great.

Am I crazy?

I've been playing on my 52" LCD for years now and I can't imagine dropping down in size. I feel like I would miss small things off in the distance, but it depends on how close you play to your TV and if you have a Surround Sound setup.

phen0m24

Question:

Am I crazy?

Doesn't IPS have slower response times? I always thought TN panels were best for games because of the fast response time.

Disclaimer: I do not work for CNET and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Well somebody is already missing the point

Sounds like Reddit

It kills me when you try to have a conversation about a possible change in a system, and someone immediately finds 1 situation where your "for instance" fails and doesn't even consider the actual topic at hand. They are literally just there to find a way to say no to you, and move on.

It kills me when you try to have a conversation about a possible change in a system, and someone immediately finds 1 situation where your "for instance" fails and doesn't even consider the actual topic at hand. They are literally just there to find a way to say no to you, and move on.

Mhm, not even open to discussion. It truly does suck :l

Hopefully Bungie sees your post though, it's a grand idea. I was thinking about it, and hand cannons naturally having LiTC would be awesome for example. Which I mean, would make Hawkmoon irrelevant, but imagine if Hawkmoon got new awesome perks. Like it shot biiiirrds

Kill me. End my misery please.

I'm feeling so sick right now.

Radiation sickness will do that to you

Kill me. End my misery please.

I'm feeling so sick right now.

Is it food poisoning? Bad lettuce I bet...

I haven't eaten lettuce since January since I got food poisoning from it earlier this year. I realize thats stupid, but I can't help it.

Mhm, not even open to discussion. It truly does suck :l

Hopefully Bungie sees your post though, it's a grand idea. I was thinking about it, and hand cannons naturally having LiTC would be awesome for example. Which I mean, would make Hawkmoon irrelevant, but imagine if Hawkmoon got new awesome perks. Like it shot biiiirrds
The Hand Cannon one makes the most since to me since HCs have such small clip sizes. It seems like the perfect trade off. I like the scout rifle one, too.

zewone

I've been playing on my 52" LCD for years now and I can't imagine dropping down in size. I feel like I would miss small things off in the distance, but it depends on how close you play to your TV and if you have a Surround Sound setup.
Yeah, I would have to play at my computer desk now instead if I got this. I'd have to setup much differently. I could hook it to my surround sound, but I mostly use Sony Gold headset anyways.
Doesn't IPS have slower response times? I always thought TN panels were best for games because of the fast response time.

Disclaimer: I do not work for CNET and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
TN does have faster response, but the screen quality isn't as nice. The one I'm looking at has 5ms response time. I'm not sure what my HDTV is, but I'm guessing it's not faster than 5ms anyways.

All they really need is some regular events. They are just slow and behind.

They also need to revamp loot somehow. After seeing all the year one guns and armies you can tell they are running out of ideas. The current mechanic pool only allows for certain types of perks and meta. They needed to expand that in TTK: introduce player element shields, lockdown or rooting, new element type, new status effects, ... Something to make you chase a whole new set of perks built around the new mechanic shift.

Now everything you get is immediately compared to all year one weapons because in reality, all loot is just a variant of those weapon archetypes and perk ideas

there's just not enough originality with the current weapons--only thing people want with the current meta now is high range and stability weapons with fast TTK

lets get some more originality--weapons that freeze people and shatter them, flame thrower heavies, etc

admittedly, most of this would be stuff for destiny 2, but yea

Sounds familiar. "I've been to the lighthouse 3x in one week, I see no change in the matchmaking". "I've gotten great drops so raid loot system is great"

Namikaze1

Nose all stuffed up. Head's pounding. Body weak. Temperature is high.

Stupid Fallout. Stupid dog. Stupid rain.

Any who need their avatar Santa-fied, send me a pm. I'll get around to them sometime during the weekend. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to bed and post apocalyptic Boston.

Sounds familiar. "I've been to the lighthouse 3x in one week, I see no change in the matchmaking". "I've gotten great drops so raid loot system is great"

I'm just going to post it here because it's already being down-voted because people are disagreeing with 1 sentence per their anecdotes...

I'd love to have an actual discussion about this:

The Observation

I remember when we first read about Suros, Omolon, and Hakke, they all sounded very interesting. The idea of these foundries having certain pull over our weapons sounded really cool. I thought I might actually find myself trying to determine if I would want an extra bullet on my pulse rifle or not.

Unfortunately, now that TTK has launched, I've noticed no such thing. The weapons from these foundries are not easily available to me, and thus, I can't just pick one up and play with it. So the concept kind of fell flat.

So I'd like to talk about an evolution of that idea that could possibly address some current issues with the PvP sandbox/meta.

The Problem

As it stands, it seems every time we have a weapon balancing patch, a different weapon type takes the reigns of leader, but have you noticed the best weapon type always has the exact same calling card to it? They're all the best options for mid-range combat.

ARs were good because they reached beyond close range into medium. HCs were good because they owned mid-range, and reached into far, and worked up close. Pulses are curretnly the best option for mid-range since the HC range nerf, and can also work at distance and up close.

This effectively means that all the weapon classes are interchangable, and they fact that we have different weapon classes looses some of it's importance. Thus, all primaries are just "guns" and no longer, Scouts or Pulses or whatever.

The Proposition

What if we gave a specific weapon perk to each weapon class, that every one of those weapons had by default, and no other weapon class could have. For instance:

All Scout Rifles now have Third Eye
All Hand Cannons now have Luck in the Chamber
All Pulse Rifles now have HeadSeeker
All Auto Rifles now have Spray and Play
This means you could no longer have a Pulse with Third Eye, as that would be a Scout Rifle perk, that would be unique to Scout Rifle play. This would mean your weapon class choice would always have more weight to it. Of course the weapons would still have other possible perk options to go with it, but these would always be staples.

This is already in the game to a small degree with Sidearms. All sidearms have the perk that they respawn with ammo. It's not the most useful perk in the world, but it's something to consider. I would just like to see it expanded upon. It obviously doesn't have to be these exact perks, they are just examples to illustrate a point.

I feel like this could really help diversify the meta, and encourage people to play more to their strengths instead of whatever is the most popular weapon of the quarter. But I'd love to hear some discussion either way. Please don't get too caught up in the examples I've provided, that's not the point.

As a final note, Exotic weapons can obviously break the mold here.

TL;DR Give current weapon classes good staple perks that are only unique to their own class (such as all scouts have third eye, and no other weapon class does). This will help break up the single weapon class dominance meta that we've had since launch.

I would also throw my money at the screen for a remastered version of SOCOM 1/2. (I feel old now)

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

I'd delete every game from my ps4 for a Socom 2 remake.

I'd do many things for it. I put more time in that game than destiny on both systems / my 6 characters.

I think thats a poor way to improve weapon balance

The problem isn't whats best at mid-range, its whats best period. Well placed pulse shots will still beat auto rifles at close range for instance. Weapons need to always have distinct advantage for their distance classes, but we're not there balance wise atm.

NeOak

I saw that the Nightfall this week is the Shield Brothers strike.

Cool, lets see the modif...

•Match Game - Enemy shields are resistant to all unmatched Elemental Damage.

AYYYY LMAO

Thanks Bungie for giving me a reason to skip the Nightfall and instead play more warzone on H5.

E92 M3

Question:

Am I crazy?

It's a horrible screenshot that is low res lol. MW2 was not a bad looking game by any means.

Ah, memories. I put so much time into that game.

I would give my money so fast to Activision if they made a remastered version.

Yes, I would buy a remastered MW2 in a hearbeat. As long as they leave all of the craziness in tact and not try to balance it. What made MW2 so fucking good was that IW had zero fucks given about giving us awesome shit to play with.

I wish more developers took that route. Unfortunately, these days everyone is obsessed about balance.

I think thats a poor way to improve weapon balance

The problem isn't whats best at mid-range, its whats best period. Well placed pulse shots will still beat auto rifles at close range for instance. Weapons need to always have distinct advantage for their distance classes, but we're not there balance wise atm.

I think the problem is Bungie is trying to fit each primary weapon type into a specific range category. Like if range was a scale of 1-100, Bungie wants the following:

• ARs - 1-35
  • HCs - 20-55
  • PRs - 45-80
  • SRs - 65-100

So there is supposed to be some overlap, but the general idea is ARs are close range, Scouts are distance, etc...

The problem is, and was, that Bungie was terrible at balancing this. When Destiny first launched, ARs reach from 1-75, especially with SUROS. ARs had the best spread of versatility. Eventually they would get nerfed and HCs would replace them, and then pulse rifles.

My point was there isn't enough diversity in the weapon classes themselves to sway people into using one over the other. Players are just going to use whatever weapon class is the most dominant at the time.

Introducing staple perks will help break that up. Or so I believe.

It's a horrible screenshot that is low res lol. MW2 was not a bad looking game by any means.

Yes, I would buy a remastered MW2 in a hearbeat. As long as they leave all of the craziness in tact and not try to balance it. What made MW2 so fucking good was that IW had zero fucks given about giving us awesome shit to play with.

I wish more developers took that route. Unfortunately, these days everyone is obsessed about balance.

Well technically, if many things are awesome and you had many viable weapons, that is "balanced". The problem lies when there are very few awesome weapons.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I saw that the Nightfall this week is the Shield Brothers strike.

Cool, lets see the modif...

AYYYY LMAO

Thanks Bungie for giving me a reason to skip the Nightfall and instead play more warzone on H5.

That was a pain but with Zhalo it made it real fun. Hung Jury with Spindle was destroying the bosses as well.

ich00

Nose all stuffed up. Head's pounding. Body weak. Temperature is high.

Stupid Fallout. Stupid dog. Stupid rain.

Any who need their avatar Santa-fied, send me a pm. I'll get around to them sometime during the weekend. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to bed and post apocalyptic Boston.

Try some coldeze, I just got the stuff this week and I think it's working. Wasn't expensive either.

E92 M3

I think the problem is Bungie is trying to fit each primary weapon type into a specific range category. Like if range was a scale of 1-100, Bungie wants the following:

• ARs - 1-35
  • HCs - 20-55
  • PRs - 45-80
  • SRs - 65-100

So there is supposed to be some overlap, but the general idea is ARs are close range, Scouts are distance, etc...

The problem is, and was, that Bungie was terrible at balancing this. When Destiny first launched, ARs reach from 1-75, especially with SUROS. ARs had the best spread of versatility. Eventually they would get nerfed and HCs would replace them, and then pulse rifles.

My point was there isn't enough diversity in the weapon classes themselves to sway people into using one over the other. Players are just going to use whatever weapon class is the most dominant at the time.

I think Bungie should do it like MW2 where everything is just good. Then we will see true diversity. In fact, MW2 allowed for some crazy successful loadouts!

Well technically, if many things are awesome and you had many viable weapons, that is "balanced". The problem lies when there are very few awesome weapons.

Yep, and that's my favorite balance ;)

I think Bungie should do it like MW2 where everything is just good. Then we will see true diversity. In fact, MW2 allowed for some crazy successful loadouts!

I never played it, so I don't know that system.

I will say I'm weary of having too many "Powerful" weapons, as that just leads to smaller TTKs and I don't care for what that turns games into.

I'm just going to post it here because it's already being down-voted because people are disagreeing with 1 sentence per their anecdotes...

Honestly, they should have only a few weapon archetypes for each class(Excluding exotics) and get rid of the whole 'base stats' stuff.

IE
Assault Rifle that fires slow but kills in a few bullets
Assault Rifle that fires fast but kills in a lot more bullets
Assault Rifle that fires medium but kills in between a few and more bullets

Practically the same thing as it is now, but different approach to presentation. Obviously perks can modify it in different ways, and manufacturer specific perks can change it(They should lean more towards that to make different ARs within the same archetype feel different, IE a Hakke bullet hose will feel different than a Vanguard Bullet Hose).

Obviously they kinda have that now, but they need to double down on it. I don't care about reload time, and things like Stability obviously people are going to aim for that and range when it comes to Auto Rifles(And Impact here and there), but it does the game little favor to show you a specific stat, and then have non-specific perks like Range finder that don't show you how much of a stat difference is.

I also don't know if it's a glitch or if different bullet types actually do anything. Too many a time I change from Linear Compensator to Soft Ballistics and the stats don't change.

Make perks more meaningful. Right now people will try to get the highest bars for the gun, IE stability for PRs or Range/Impact for Autorifles, it kinda becomes a 'numbers put a curse on you' situation where weapons with lower base stats with no perks that increase those thresholds are coined useless.

I dunno, that's just me. I just want perks to be more meaningful then they are now, and as such true variety can begin to be seen. Like I've mentioned in the past, the class specific legendary weapons are a start in the right direction.

tl;dr focus less on the stats of a weapon, more on the perk variety/differences between the guns

• ARs - 1-35
  • HCs - 20-55
  • PRs - 45-80
  • SRs - 65-100

I think it's too many weapon classes and not enough distance....unless they hard-code dead stops in damage at each of the points you reference above...i.e. a hand cannon does literally no damage between 0 and 20.

I don't really understand why they want the classes to primarily vary by distance. People are just not going to switch primaries every 20 seconds as the enemy moves from say 75 to 50...and then again to 25....especially in PvP.

Fixed perks is a good idea IMHO.

E92 M3

I never played it, so I don't know that system.

I will say I'm weary of having too many "Powerful" weapons, as that just leads to smaller TTKs and I don't care for what that turns games into.

Psychologically speaking, a player would rather feel more powerful than weaker. Instead of everyone using pulse rifles like they do now, we can people using whatever they want.

Honestly, they should have only a few weapon archetypes for each class(Excluding exotics) and get rid of the whole 'base stats' stuff.

IE
Assault Rifle that fires slow but kills in a few bullets
Assault Rifle that fires fast but kills in a lot more bullets
Assault Rifle that fires medium but kills in between a few and more bullets

Practically the same thing as it is now, but different approach to presentation. Obviously perks can modify it in different ways, and manufacturer specific perks can change it(They should lean more towards that to make different ARs within the same archetype feel different, IE a Hakke bullet hose will feel different than a Vanguard Bullet Hose).

Obviously they kinda have that now, but they need to double down on it. I don't care about reload time, and things like Stability obviously people are going to aim for that and range when it comes to Auto Rifles(And Impact here and there), but it does the game little favor to show you a specific stat, and then have non-specific perks like Range finder that don't show you how much of a stat difference is.

I also don't know if it's a glitch or if different bullet types actually do anything. Too many a time I change from Linear Compensator to Soft Ballistics and the stats don't change.

Make perks more meaningful. Right now people will try to get the highest bars for the gun, IE stability for PRs or Range/Impact for Autorifles, it kinda becomes a 'numbers put a curse on you' situation where weapons with lower base stats with no perks that increase those thresholds are coined useless.

I dunno, that's just me. I just want perks to be more meaningful then they are now, and as such true variety can begin to be seen. Like I've mentioned in the past, the class specific legendary weapons are a start in the right direction.

tl;dr focus less on the stats of a weapon, more on the perk variety/differences between the guns

I'd be perfectly fine with this, as well. I hate the idea of weapon class archetypes. It feels like another layer of RNG, even though it's not.

Like, if I get a Primary weapon engram, I have to hope it's not only an AR, but a AR that fits the archetype I like, and then has the right perks.

I'd love to see No-Impact ARs phased out and replaced by Sub-Machine Guns or some other weapon class type in the future

lt519

Basically you want the guns to be different. Right now everything boils down to TTK with weapons at some range variant. All Bungie has done is tweak those two things, so let's try something else. It's a good idea, but I don't think it'd be enough to push people to a weapon class. It'd be very hard to come up with a perk for each weapon type and not end up with one weapon class that is OP again.

I think the opposite should happen. Your class should determine what type of loadout you play with. Gunslingers should be better with Hand Cannons, give them a faster reload node, a LitC node, and make them choose what additional Hand Cannon perks they want. Have one tree be reload speed, rate of fire, and magazine size perks. Blade Dancers are better with snipers. Nightstalkers are better with Fusion Rifles, etc.

Make Defender Titans the defacto Shotgun class. Want to run around with a Shotgun? OK you'll probably have to live with the fact that you won't have an offensive super. Give these guys the option to chose between Automatic, Final Round, and Rangefinder in one node tree. See here I'm going? It's a lot like Borderlands 2. My Lawbringer was totally focused on increasing reload speed for Pistols, ammo capacity, rate of fire, and specials that do more damage with pistols.

Sounds half assed now that I read it again, but there's a better way to tie classes into the weapons than they have right now. They've tried that to some extent, a Shotgun that doesn't use ammo inside of Ward of Dawn. But what if that was a global perk to Defenders if one so chooses? Diablo takes the same approach, the weapons play into the class perks. You end up with a lot more variation in build types.

TL;DR A better synergy between Character Classes and Weapon Classes is needed to make more viable builds and load out options. Take some hints from Borderlands 2 and Diablo III.

Psychologically speaking, a player would rather feel more powerful than weaker. Instead of everyone using pulse rifles like they do now, we can people using whatever they want.

Yeah, but making weapons more powerful reduces the strength of the class abilities. Having too strong of weapons means supers, grenades, and melees become a lot weaker by comparison.

Unless you want to buff those, too.

Basically you want the guns to be different. Right now everything boils down to TTK with weapons at some range variant. All Bungie has done is tweak those two things, so let's try something else. It's a good idea, but I don't think it'd be enough to push people to a weapon class. It'd be very hard to come up with a perk for each weapon type and not end up with one weapon class that is OP again.

I think the opposite should happen. Your class should determine what type of loadout you play with. Gunslingers should be better with Hand Cannons, give them a faster reload node, a LitC node, and make them choose what additional Hand Cannon perks they want. Have one tree be reload speed, rate of fire, and magazine size perks. Blade Dancers are better with snipers. Nightstalkers are better with Fusion Rifles, etc.

Make Defender Titans the defacto Shotgun class. Want to run around with a Shotgun? OK you'll probably have to live with the fact that you won't have an offensive super. Give these guys the option to chose between Automatic, Final Round, and Rangefinder in one node tree. See here I'm going? It's a lot like Borderlands 2. My Lawbringer was totally focused on increasing reload speed for Pistols, ammo capacity, rate of fire, and specials that do more damage with pistols.

Sounds half assed now that I read it again, but there's a better way to tie classes into the weapons than they have right now. They've tried that to some extent, a Shotgun that doesn't use ammo inside of Ward of Dawn. But what if that was a global perk to Defenders if one so chooses? Diablo takes the same approach, the weapons play into the class perks. You end up with a lot more variation in build types.

TL;DR A better synergy between Character Classes and Weapon Classes is needed to make more viable builds and load out options. Take some hints from Borderlands 2 and Diablo III.

I like most of this. But the main point your'e making is synergy, and dear god yes please can we have more of that? That would be great...

Class Synergy is a huge part.

Way back when, I always thought certain weapons would be tied to certain classes, IE Titans would be a Revolver/HMG/Shotgun class, main theme being 'Power'. And then they'd have skills relating to them wanting to pick those weapons up. Adding an extra tree to each subclass that affects that, IE Titans get an option to get double magazine and faster RoF for HMGs.

If each class had a weapon skill choice, then it'd naturally help with the variety of the weapons and how you look at weapons. Maybe you want to specialize in HMGs or Shotguns with a Titan, you have to pick between one of those and then you take that into consideration when selecting loadout.

Question:

Am I crazy?

I also perfer a smaller monitor compare to a 40+ inch HDTV. And mw2 was awesome! Spent a lot of time playing it.

Top Bottom