• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Lnkn52

Gotta say: Bungie's gear manager beta is really nice. I have so much infusion fodder for special, yet there is no reason waste them on anything other than a sniper rifle. And all of my rifles are already above 315. In the same sense, I don't want to delete them either lol.

More vault space, please Bungie

Are you allowed to speak about it? If so, any features that makes it better than the 3rd party apps that are available?

E92 M3

I might run the normal KF this weekend again for infusion fodder. Every few days I inch some gear forward, so its getting there.

I'd actually be closer with weapon parts. I have three more infusions I could do if I had'em. (Got a 300 blue drop yesterday.)

I've never gotten a 300 blue, that is rather lucky!

Are you allowed to speak about it? If so, any features that makes it better than the 3rd party apps that are available?

Yeah, it's been on reddit for a while. Seems like wave of users get selected to try it on Bnet. It's very handy and I have noticed improvements.

For instance: Bungie provides an open field of everything you have and allows quick organization with 1-click movement between characters. The biggest take away is that everything happens smoothly.

LTWood12

Anyone can use it. Just go to bungie.net in a browser, pull up your gear, and click the button at the bottom that says 'gear manager beta' or something like that.

edit: oh not everyone got access? I just assumed everyone had it.

You know, you can probably do Totems and Warpope on Hard for some loot. May get very lucky.

I might run the normal KF this weekend again for infusion fodder. Every few days I inch some gear forward, so its getting there.

I'd actually be closer with weapon parts. I have three more infusions I could do if I had'em. (Got a 300 blue drop yesterday.)

If you're above 300, you can easily do hard raid till daughters.

someone mentioned last night IB might be up today, is it?

Nope.

SpecX

I was struggling as well to reach 300 till last week. Had a 310 ghost drop from the nightfall, a 307 PR drop which went into my Hung Jury, and got the exotic sword which drops at 310. Those finally pushed me to 300 and then a little farming with the 3ofC for exotic infusion drops got me to 304.

Yes, twice. I have a 300 ghost shell, and used a 310 drop of the raid sniper to boot my 1000 Yard Stare to 307. But that's about it for my 300+ gear.

Nice surprise having leftovers from the Festival in my inventory, was fun opening the spoiled bags. I totally kept the raisins and expired candy.

We carried a 299 titan all the way to hm oryx last week. Guy was using a 296 sniper. You should be fine.

He got really lucky with a 320 Mark and 320 Arms tho... Finished the whole thing 309.

10 light points in a single raid.

Jabronium

We carried a 299 titan all the way to hm oryx last week. Guy was using a 296 sniper. You should be fine.

He got really lucky with a 320 Mark and 320 Arms tho... Finished the whole thing 309.

Wow. That's crazy. I've got my titan and hunter at 304-5 and had my NM KF runs this past week fall apart at Oryx. Hopefully I can find a couple HM runs to tag along on.

GhaleonEB

If you're above 300, you can easily do hard raid till daughters.
Nope.
I think I'm 296 with my best gear equipped. Should be at least 297 once I get a hajillion more weapon parts.

I was struggling as well to reach 300 till last week. Had a 310 ghost drop from the nightfall, a 307 PR drop which went into my Hung Jury, and got the exotic sword which drops at 310. Those finally pushed me to 300 and then a little farming with the 3ofC for exotic infusion drops got me to 304.
Nice. 3oC hasn't done much for me lately, but I keep popping them.

To clarify, I don't really want to run HM KF, at least not yet. I need a few more normal runs under my belt to really get the mechanics down.
Basically all of my friends list is playing fallout. Who needs nightfalls?

Once I get Fallout, I'll be on that about 90% of my playtime for a while, but I'll be hopping on for weekly strikes, Nightfalls and the odd daily or raid, for variety. Skyrim swallowed me whole for the better part of a year. egads

lt519

I like the intention, but all it would do in practice is bring standardized loadouts to class selection. Players would naturally gravitate toward the class that best serves the existing weapon meta. We've seen a limited form of this with the Bladedancer Quickdraw perk. Current ToO stats are tainted by the fact that players can only complete the bounties once per week per character. I bet that if ToO worked like the weekly heroic stats would see much bigger peaks and valleys in regards to class selection.

I do believe Destiny 2 would be much more interesting if the class powers moved to a loadout system. We need more differentiation than grenade, jump, and super.
Weapon archetypes should just be the weapons.
SMGs definitely have a place.

Basically, Mass Effect :]

The only reason we all gravitate to a meta is because for the most part we all fire and take damage from weapons in the same way. If you start altering how sub classes interact with weapons types then we aren't firing them the same way and maybe that Scout Rifle now fires like a Pulse Rifle. Or that Fusion Rifle now acts more like a shotgun. Or when I have a hand cannon equipped my gunslinger has increased agility and rate of fire that makes up for the lack of range. I guess that was my intention. You'll always end up with a meta, that's unavoidable, but the more viable build options the easier time you'll have from keeping one weapon archetype from ruling.

The best part about Destiny are the sub classes and supers. If we just balance weapons and don't have the class/weapon synergy then it's just Halo (not meant to be offensive). I'd rather my class and perk selection play a major part into how I decide my loadout. Right now you use a Pulse Rifle regardless of what class you are. A game of Trials plays exactly like any other shooter until round 3-4 when people start getting supers.

ocean

Banned

Full glimmer cap + ~ 40 motes = 50-70 weapon parts.

Buy an Exotic Heavy from kiosk for an Exotic Shard and 2,500 glimmer. Pop 4 or 5 Motes to feed XP. Dismantle to get 5-7 WPs per heavy and your Exotic Shards back.

Wasteful as hell but it works to get some last minute upgrades in a pinch.

Buy an Exotic Heavy from kiosk for an Exotic Shard and 2,500 glimmer. Pop 4 or 5 Motes to feed XP. Dismantle to get 5-7 WPs per heavy and your Exotic Shards back.

You're assuming he has 200 exotic shards lying in his vault like the rest of us :p

ocean

Banned
The only reason we all gravitate to a meta is because for the most part we all fire and take damage from weapons in the same way. If you start altering how sub classes interact with weapons types then we aren't firing them the same way and maybe that Scout Rifle now fires like a Pulse Rifle. Or that Fusion Rifle now acts more like a shotgun. Or when I have a hand cannon equipped my gunslinger has increased agility and rate of fire that makes up for the lack of range. I guess that was my intention. You'll always end up with a meta, that's unavoidable, but the more viable build options the easier time you'll have from keeping one weapon archetype from ruling.

The best part about Destiny are the sub classes and supers. If we just balance weapons and don't have the class/weapon synergy then it's just Halo (not meant to be offensive). I'd rather my class and perk selection play a major part into how I decide my loadout. Right now you use a Pulse Rifle regardless of what class you are. A game of Trials plays exactly like any other shooter until round 3-4 when people start getting supers.
I think classes in Destiny set it apart from other games regardless of Supers. Round 1 has blink or skating or triple jumping and like a dozen different grenades and a very special gun feel/feedback.

I kind of like the idea of certain gun types being optimal on certain subclasses but I don't think it's accurate to say this feels like any other shooter whenever supers aren't up. And I fear the implementation would make things too limiting - like forcing me to be a Voidwalker if I primarily snipe when maybe I'd have ratcheted be a Sunsinger or something like that.

ocean

Banned
You're assuming he has 200 exotic shards lying in his vault like the rest of us :p
This process is Mote and Glimmer expensive but doesn't cost any shards.

You spend 1 to buy at kiosk then get it back when you dismantle. What they nerfed was the possibility of getting 2 back, but getting your shard back is guaranteed.

GhaleonEB

I might do that, sans the motes, just so I can use the damn 300 blue I'm sitting on. :lol

Thanks for the tip.

I have a half dozen shards, and about 700 motes. I'm good.

I did just blow 20,000 glimmer on synth at the gunsmith, but that comes back quick enough.

stb

Good thing you're not asking that question on Xbox =/

Plenty of people should be raiding tonight on Xbox, right? They can fit the raid in while Fallout 4 loads between zones. *rimshot*
Please don't ban me! I jest out of love!

Afrocious

The Destiny API wiki is complete ass and makes Chrome use up too much RAM. Like wtf. I've been doing well on my work computer not using any ad blockers. I don't want to use one for this machine.

E92 M3

Crickets - Trance, I think we should start over on the PS4.

I am not even thinking about starting over. I'm sure one of these days they will give us a paid option to clone the account. Starting over will hurt too much.

Plenty of people should be raiding tonight on Xbox, right? They can fit the raid in while Fallout 4 loads between zones. *rimshot*
Please don't ban me! I jest out of love!

Lol, my copy will be coming tomorrow.

Ghazi

I am not even thinking about starting over. I'm sure one of these days they will give us a paid option to clone the account. Starting over will hurt too much.

That's why I changed platforms for TTK, definitely worked as a reboot for the game. Perfect time to jump before it got too late.

I'd be really surprised to see the ability to move characters across consoles so long as there is exclusive content on one of the consoles. It would be nice though since most of the character data is stored on Bungie's servers.

E92 M3

That's why I changed platforms for TTK, definitely worked as a reboot for the game. Perfect time to jump before it got too late.

Yeah, your rationale was solid, but I don't want to leave behind so much history. I am fairly certain they will give an option for the next big expansion. The capability exists.

Hedging my bets.

I'd be really surprised to see the ability to move characters across consoles so long as there is exclusive content on one of the consoles. It would be nice though since most of the character data is stored on Bungie's servers.

I think they will find a way for a cost ;)

ocean

Banned

Lol, my copy will be coming tomorrow.
Switching now is easier than it was pre TTK.

As sad as this sounds, there used to be a ton of stuff worth owning. Now you can just quickly level up to 40, buy Hung Jury and Hawksaw, do your Sword / Malice Quests, get your Taken War Conspiracy+1,000 Yard and kinda own everything worth having in the game. Shouldn't take too long.

E92 M3

Switching now is easier than it was pre TTK.

As sad as this sounds, there used to be a ton of stuff worth owning. Now you can just quickly level up to 40, buy Hung Jury and Hawksaw, do your Sword / Malice Quests, get your Taken War Conspiracy+1,000 Yard and kinda own everything worth having in the game. Shouldn't take too long.

I am a collector and love holding on to things from the past. Have a ton of materials hoarded and such. It would be too hard for me.

More importantly, I won't have time for any other games if I restart on PS4 lol.

Mindlog

I think classes in Destiny set it apart from other games regardless of Supers. Round 1 has blink or skating or triple jumping and like a dozen different grenades and a very special gun feel/feedback.
Eh. It certainly has more differentiation than standard fare, but I've been looking back fondly at ME3 MP again lately. Despite the movement and grenades Destiny classes all feel too samey to me.

What if Gunslingers had an alternate super that added a burning DoT to weapon damage for a short time?
What if Voidwalkers had an alternate super that gave them a suppression aura?
Instead of a grenade Strikers could grab an extended range Lightning Lance melee.

The Nightstalker's smoke is a primitive example of what a more advanced system can do. It changes the most when switching from cloak boost to envenom, but at its heart it's just a grenade in the melee slot.

X-Frame

Pulse rifles don't "feel powerful", they're just effective. And this concept of effect Needs only makes sense relative to alternatives. Take away PR range and flinch a bit and they lose an effectiveness edge over Scouts, which all of a sudden will be more effective and viable.

Buffing isn't always the right call. Consider how PRs are no better than they were a few months ago but nobody used them back then.

The game is probably closer to being balanced now than its been since near-launch. HC accuracy buff, PR range cut, slight AR crit multiplier buff and give scouts the flinch. Erase Felwinter's archetype and limit to Invective tier impact. Cut sniper AA. Less special ammo in PvP to avoid "I run my secondary as a primary". And voila, effectiveness is more even across the board and the game is better off for it.

Don't hate me Ocean, but I don't want to give up my new Year 2 Party Crasher. It is my new baby!

Deku Tree

When you spend 1.5 hours doing HM Oryx and you get 310 Harrowed boots while wearing 310 Harrowed boots and a guy your playing with starts talking about how they got two primaries one a 320 and the other a 318, it makes you feel like playing a different game.

Afrocious

When you spend 1.5 hours doing HM Oryx and you get 310 Harrowed boots while wearing 310 Harrowed boots and a guy your playing with starts talking about how they got two primaries one a 320 and the other a 318, it makes you feel like playing a different game.

This is why I always joke about getting a 310 Harrowed chest piece on my first Golgoroth HM kill.

I'm still salty over it.

E92 M3

so that whole comet timeline photo was bs then I guess

To be fair, they have deviated quite a bit from it.

Yeah the delta between rewards is rather large and the inconsistencies lead to hurt feelings. On one end of the spectrum you have people like me that get an antiquated rune and on the other people like you mentioned.

Top Bottom