• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

SpecX

I know this is early notice, but does anyone need to run the exotic sword strike tomorrow? With armsday tomorrow, I can get my void exotic, but not sure if I'll get lucky again with randoms.

ocean

Banned
so that whole comet timeline photo was bs then I guess
I'm fairly certain it was accurate at the time, but plans have changed since then. It was, to the best of our understanding given the legibility issues, fairly accurate up to "Comet".

As the press sneak fuck and fellow GAFer JS detailed, Bungie's manpower and dev tools seemed to make keeping to a tight DLC production and development schedule a little too hard on the team. So as a compromise to keep the revenue stream going, they opted to sell some cosmetic DLC in the form of gestures.

Their previous Weekly Update seemed to suggest they'd open up some specifics on the year 2 content pipeline by/in December.

By next fall, I'd expect roughly the same amount of content as TDB/HoW (sans Raid/Arena) but spread out instead of delivered in 2 big drops.

Those 2 expansions combined gave us:
- 7 Exotic Weapons
- 18 Exotic Armor
- 3 Strikes
- about a half dozen PvP maps
- under a dozen Story missions
- 2 "seasons" of vendor gear

Something like that (less Exotic Armor though) sounds reasonable as a best case scenario to expect over the next year. It'll probably be less than all of this but TDB+HoW sets a sort of baseline for Y2 expectations, which we cut and take away from as we consider the pricing is rumored to go from US$40 to US$0 for the year's content drops.

More like it became more and more inaccurate as time went on.

If you even look at that photo, you'll notice the information for the 4th DLC don't even exist.

RRuLvBz.png

Likely the story concepts for Vex Void and Forge of the Gods will be migrated to Destiny 2, and we'll just get stuff that wraps up TTK over the next year.

phen0m24

Dear DGAF,

Allow me this one off topic post. I've been working on a secret thing for years. It's no longer secret. I've been wanting to share this with my friends for ages. I consider y'all in that group.

http://frenden.com/post/132948914097/joel-hodgson-reached-out-to-me-a-couple-of-years

tl;dr, I've been working on the relaunch of MST3K and the project launched a Kickstarter. I can finally speak about it, whew.

That feels good.

Very cool man, very cool. :) MST was hilarious

Dear DGAF,

Allow me this one off topic post. I've been working on a secret thing for years. It's no longer secret. I've been wanting to share this with my friends for ages. I consider y'all in that group.

http://frenden.com/post/132948914097/joel-hodgson-reached-out-to-me-a-couple-of-years

tl;dr, I've been working on the relaunch of MST3K and the project launched a Kickstarter. I can finally speak about it, whew.

That feels good.
Just quoting it so I can find it later to read :)

LTWood12

When you spend 1.5 hours doing HM Oryx and you get 310 Harrowed boots while wearing 310 Harrowed boots and a guy your playing with starts talking about how they got two primaries one a 320 and the other a 318, it makes you feel like playing a different game.

Yeah this is the kind of thing that's pretty much broken T-44.

GhaleonEB

More like it became more and more inaccurate as time went on.

If you even look at that photo, you'll notice the information for the 4th DLC don't even exist.

RRuLvBz.png

Likely the story concepts for Vex Void and Forge of the Gods will be migrated to Destiny 2, and we'll just get stuff that wraps up TTK over the next year.

I'm expecting a trail of TTK related stuff to dovetail into quests that lead into the next expansion. Now that they can drop in content regularly, it would be fun to have a trial of bread crumbs lead to it. Would make sense to hold off on the big stuff until the expansion though.

They've clearly set up the Cabal as the next focus in the story, and the rumors point to Mars as getting a major geographical expansion. I wonder how far into planning the Vex expansion was, and if it's getting folded in as well.

ocean

Banned
Dear DGAF,

That feels good.
I don't know what MST3K is but good luck!! I'll check out your KS and support you.
Don't hate me Ocean, but I don't want to give up my new Year 2 Party Crasher. It is my new baby!
You were with me when I killed Oryx for the first time. We're hype-Bros forever man.

phen0m24

I don't know what MST3K is but good luck!! I'll check out your KS and support you.

You were with me when I killed Oryx for the first time. We're hype-Bros forever man.
Mystery Science Theater 3000

It was hilarious. The three characters in the foreground would watch old scifi movies and basically make fun of them together. It was crazy

I'm expecting a trail of TTK related stuff to dovetail into quests that lead into the next expansion. Now that they can drop in content regularly, it would be fun to have a trial of bread crumbs lead to it. Would make sense to hold off on the big stuff until the expansion though.

They've clearly set up the Cabal as the next focus in the story, and the rumors point to Mars as getting a major geographical expansion. I wonder how far into planning the Vex expansion was, and if it's getting folded in as well.

I wonder how much the content pipeline was affected now that they've embraced microtransactions. Whether we'll get Cabal as a small update inbetween now and Destiny 2...it'll be interesting..

Xeyark

Unconfirmed Member
Dear DGAF,

That feels good.

Holy crap, that's awesome! I was just getting online to look for that kickstarter when I saw it mentioned on twitter.

Enjoy my money!

Dalek

Anyone want to run 3 nightfalls? I'm about to start-I won't have a mic on because my wife and I are both home sick and she's asleep on the couch.

PSN MDavis360
Join my Fireteam and lets get some loot.

Dear DGAF,

That feels good.

Oh wow, this is excellent. Love me some MST3K. I used to go by 'Tom Servo' on forums back in the day and even tried to build my own "model" version of Tom Servo...that didn't go too well. I'll check out the KS for sure. Good luck with everything with this!

LTWood12

Pretty much has broke me too, I haven't cleared HM Oryx yet and really don't feel like it. My TTK raid RNG has been fucking awful.

I'm really sorry man. I know Bungie is cool w/ people leaving to play other games, but they did say that wanted people to leave happy. Maybe it's just that I only play w/ hardcore people, but the ones that are taking a break are doing so specifically because they AREN'T happy.

I'd say I'm happy. Definitely got my moneys worth from TTK--and at some point I was going to run into a wall in terms of the content. Still playing occasionally for trials.

Is there any way to get rid of the Halloween missions? If I abandon them they go to the same place in the tower that other abandoned missions go and put a quest marker on the tower. Not a huge deal but annoying, especially since the quests can't be completed anymore.

If anyone wants to get a group for normal raid tonight I'll be down. I'll be free from 9PST.

When you spend 1.5 hours doing HM Oryx and you get 310 Harrowed boots while wearing 310 Harrowed boots and a guy your playing with starts talking about how they got two primaries one a 320 and the other a 318, it makes you feel like playing a different game.

Exactly.

One person last week got a 319 Class Item when they were wearing 320 Class item. Meanwhile I got nothing and I'm wearing a 311 Class Item.

Feorax

I expect we may soon see the end of the wide variety in light levels for raid gear/exotics soon.

I can see a future where NM drops 310 items only, and HM drops 320 only. Seems to be the only logical way to resolve the rng loot problem.

Afrocious

I'm really sorry man. I know Bungie is cool w/ people leaving to play other games, but they did say that wanted people to leave happy. Maybe it's just that I only play w/ hardcore people, but the ones that are taking a break are doing so specifically because they AREN'T happy.

Absolutely. The only reason I'm playing Destiny now is because of DGAF and the cool folks I group up with to raid and do trials with. Hell, I'm not a pvp guy and the folks I've run Trials with are cool and we end up getting to Mercury.

Without them, I probably would've put the game up until the next major update.

I'll also admit that I'd be playing F4 now if I could find it 50% off somewhere.

Dave_6

I can vouch for the bolded. Sorry, dude.

Thanks man, it is what it is. Guess I used all my luck up with the two previous raids.

My RNG 'luck' and the HM turning out to not be that great IMO kinda turned me away. It (the HM raid) just isn't really any fun to me. I know I haven't been in the best spirits the past month or so, but still. Love playing with my raid crew regardless. Glad I've got the new Tomb Raider to tide me over for a few days and hopefully SWBF next week will turn out to be fun. I still love Destiny and DGAF but I'm needing a break from it for maybe a while.

I expect we may soon see the end of the wide variety in light levels for raid gear/exotics soon.

I can see a future where NM drops 310 items only, and HM drops 320 only. Seems to be the only logical way to resolve the rng loot problem.
Are we sure Bungie sees it as a problem?

Feorax

Are we sure Bungie sees it as a problem?

They do when the player base drops off as drastically as it did today for the new hotness.

Tbf, I still have Halo 5 and MGS V to finish. I'd also like to give TR 2013 a shot. Might be a good time to do so.

I highly doubt Bungie sees a problem considering it was expected November would be delivering new games for people to play.

Of course, but the last time it was this dead was after months of post TDB burnout. They will have expected a drop off, but they won't have expected people to be that fed up of the rng within rng loot system that barely anyone bothered to play on reset day.

WipedOut

Yeah this is the kind of thing that's pretty much broken T-44.

It broke me last week. I have still yet to beat it and honestly I have no desire, There is no reason to be above 310 for anywhere else in the game. I would rather go back and play normal where it's an actual fun experience.

ocean

Banned
I mean they managed to make the game better than it's ever been up to the endgame. Most of us are kinda disappointed at the state of the game but I don't think they cater to us when making design decisions - nor should they.

3oC, lots of quest-tied Exotics, not making Raid gear any better (usually worse actually) than Vendor stuff, making Lighthouse a symbolic achievement but worthless in practical terms, removing NF reset runner advantages, enabling absurd AA via range on Snipers, making HCs (where skilled precision shots made anything else unviable) absolute ass, guaranteeing a smooth progression curve towards Raid readiness via ever/improving blues till you hit 285ish...

All of this makes the game easier and more enjoyable for casuals. And it makes sense that they consider them a priority and not us. Casuals can now own a few exotics via quests and 3oC without camping checkpoints and checklisting weekly loot rolls. They can go to a vendor and buy something better than your Raid drops so they aren't at a disadvantage. They get become easy for raids getting engrams literally anywhere - you can reach 280 without leaving patrol.

The game is worse than it's ever been for me and a few others here, but I understand why that is and would probably have done the same thing in their shoes. We are loud on the Internet and love and play this way too much and they love us for it. But ultimately we aren't the ones responsible for the game's success nor are we the people in whose hands the success of a sequel hinges. It's that blueberry who dies trying to melee a major to death in a strike who the game needs to be fun for.

I agree. The grind to try to raise my light level but only to receive a leg armor that is 3 light lower than my current armor is a crappy feeling. I'm having fun casually playing CoD and Fallout right now. Bungie decisions pushed me away and I've been here since the Alpha. Of course I will be back later when more content drops and to finish my exotic collection.

lt519

I think classes in Destiny set it apart from other games regardless of Supers. Round 1 has blink or skating or triple jumping and like a dozen different grenades and a very special gun feel/feedback.

I kind of like the idea of certain gun types being optimal on certain subclasses but I don't think it's accurate to say this feels like any other shooter whenever supers aren't up. And I fear the implementation would make things too limiting - like forcing me to be a Voidwalker if I primarily snipe when maybe I'd have ratcheted be a Sunsinger or something like that.

That's fair, although different movement, grenades, and melees may make Destiny different it won't every really effect the weapon meta. I'm going to use a shotgun for close range fighting whether I blink or not.

The implementation I suggested would certainly be limiting if you only wanted to deal with having one character. It was more just trying to point out that more can be done with the class/weapon interactions. I'm just trying to approach the problem from another side. If you make class perks more important than weapon archetype, you can essentially remove any weapon metas as long as the classes are balanced (which up until sunbreaker they have been). In Diablo III I could go from making a sword and board Barbarian tank to making a spear throwing Barbarian glass cannon with a couple perk and gear changes. Both were totally viable and changed how the game was played on every level. That interaction between weapons and subclass really just doesn't exist to that level in Destiny. They've made a few attempts with exotics but they've mostly fallen flat because they haven't gone all in with the concept. A different approach is going to be required to remove weapon metas. There will always be one if the only adjustments they make are TTK and Range. Some other simple things like:

-Weapon elements matching your subclass element give different effects.
-More and varied burns like Mindlog suggested. Give sidearms the ability to suppress specials for half a second and the game would be played an entirely different way (this is the other side of the class/weapon interaction, have weapons do things to certain classes when damaging them). Snipers and shotguns would still be relevant for OHK but you've added another element that allows someone to contribute from mid-range and change a match.
-Class sets (vendor, factions, raid) unlock new class perks/buffs.
-Weapon sets (vendor, factions, raid) unlock new class perks/buffs.

GutZ31

Dear DGAF,

That feels good.
Awesome dude! Congratulations on sending it off for kickstarter.
I will support this, as watching MST3K as a kid was a fond memory.

WipedOut

I mean they managed to make the game better than it's ever been up to the endgame. Most of us are kinda disappointed at the state of the game but I don't think they cater to us when making design decisions - nor should they.

3oC, lots of quest-tied Exotics, not making Raid gear any better (usually worse actually) than Vendor stuff, making Lighthouse a symbolic achievement but worthless in practical terms, removing NF reset runner advantages, enabling absurd AA via range on Snipers, making HCs (where skilled precision shots made anything else unviable) absolute ass, guaranteeing a smooth progression curve towards Raid readiness via ever/improving blues till you hit 285ish...

All of this makes the game easier and more enjoyable for casuals. And it makes sense that they consider them a priority and not us. Casuals can now own a few exotics via quests and 3oC without camping checkpoints and checklisting weekly loot rolls. They can go to a vendor and buy something better than your Raid drops so they aren't at a disadvantage. They get become easy for raids getting engrams literally anywhere - you can reach 280 without leaving patrol.

The game is worse than it's ever been for me and a few others here, but I understand why that is and would probably have done the same thing in their shoes. We are loud on the Internet and love and play this way too much and they love us for it. But ultimately we aren't the ones responsible for the game's success nor are we the people in whose hands the success of a sequel hinges. It's that blueberry who dies trying to melee a major to death in a strike who the game needs to be fun for.

I totally agree with this. I mean there really isn't one reason for me to continue playing this game other than HM and the upcoming challenges but RNG just plain sucks. (Getting appropriate LL)

I mean is it really that hard to have some monthly quests / exotic quests added? What else is there to get in this game outside of RAID stuff.

If that were the case, there would be no need for the 310 and 320 Spread. It would be closer to reverting to the old way Light Levels worked.

If there were a change, my guess would be that they'd seek to adjust smart loot in Raids so that you still have RNG on what item you get (if any) from each boss kill but that whatever drops is guaranteed to be higher than what you have. That would still allow a climb from 300 to 310 and 310 to 320 (for example) while eliminating the possibility of getting a drop that's lower than what you currently have.

Of course, I have no idea if it's actually possible for them to make that specific of an adjustment or how hard it would be to do so.

LOL, that was released back in October 2014 and it predicted Taken King with 95% accuracy (as well as House of Wolves, months before any specifics were announced.) How is that BS? That was their plan and, who knows, it still could be. Plans can change and evolve (or get cut) over time.

Feorax

If that were the case, there would be no need for the 310 and 320 Spread. It would be closer to reverting to the old way Light Levels worked.

If there were a change, my guess would be that they'd seek to adjust smart loot in Raids so that you still have RNG on what item you get (if any) from each boss kill but that whatever drops is guaranteed to be higher than what you have. That would still allow a climb from 300 to 310 and 310 to 320 (for example) while eliminating the possibility of getting a drop that's lower than what you currently have.

Of course, I have no idea if it's actually possible for them to make that specific of an adjustment or how hard it would be to do so.

Possibly. It just seems to me that going more towards the older system alongside infusion would still be infinitely better than what we have now.

We're actually closer to a forever 29 scenario than we ever were with vanilla.

Strider

Absolutely. The only reason I'm playing Destiny now is because of DGAF and the cool folks I group up with to raid and do trials with. Hell, I'm not a pvp guy and the folks I've run Trials with are cool and we end up getting to Mercury.

Without them, I probably would've put the game up until the next major update.

That's the biggest reason I stopped tbh. Don't have a regular crew to run raids or PvP with :/ even tho I've met and played with many awesome people from here it gets old having to resort to pick up groups or be a sub when someone can't show for their regular crew.

Guess I should get into trials since a lot of folks here do that and it's easy to find a group... But in general I prefer to just chill and joke around when playing PvP. Nothing competitive. At least in destiny

They do when the player base drops off as drastically as it did today for the new hotness...
I'm sure we all have anecdotal evidence of our friends moving on, either temporarily or permanently, to other games but that does not a drastic drop off make. Destiny's active player base is HUGE and a lot of them probably are not jumping ship and even some of those who pick up a new purchase will probably play it alongside Destiny. And some who leave will come back. And some new players will come in due to holiday sales. Until some data shows up to show a serious, sustained decline in the active players, I'm not buying into the doomsday scenario.

stb

I know you were responding to Dave, but I thought I'd chime in.

I'm not taking a break BECAUSE I'm not happy; I'm taking a break because other shit I want to play is coming out, and the timing is fortuitous because I've been approaching "burned out" with Destiny. I'm not sure why, but I distinguish between "unhappy" and "burned out".

I guess it's possible to be SO happy with it that it prevents or delayed being burned out. If that's a thing, then the present circumstances aren't that. I'm hoping the November patch will drop while I'm otherwise occupied, and when I do come back, changes will have been made that compound with that 'refreshed' feeling a Destiny break lends.

EDIT:
I highly doubt Bungie sees a problem considering it was expected November would be delivering new games for people to play.

Yeah, I think they are just accepting that they're gonna take the "L" for the next few weeks. TTK honeymoon is over, HM is out, Festival is over, Trials is back. They didn't appear to have anything planned to combat releases over the next few weeks, and I'd wager that was a conscious decision.

EDIT 2:
Hmm. ocean banned. Didn't he just get back?

Top Bottom