• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Afrocious

That's the biggest reason I stopped tbh. Don't have a regular crew to run raids or PvP with :/ even tho I've met and played with many awesome people from here it gets old having to resort to pick up groups or be a sub when someone can't show for their regular crew.

Guess I should get into trials since a lot of folks here do that and it's easy to find a group... But in general I prefer to just chill and joke around when playing PvP. Nothing competitive. At least in destiny

Trials can be that way. It depends on who you group with. I can kick back and have fun and crack jokes while being tactical - been to Mercury every weekend since Trials has been up for TTK. However, I'm picky about who I play Trials with and I don't group with folks who get too invested into it. I have no time for those people.

I put personality above skill, and I'm fortunate that most people I know who don't think they're good enough to run Trials won't bother doing it. However playing with the human equivalent of a cardboard box honestly repulses me.

I know you were responding to Dave, but I thought I'd chime in.

I'm not taking a break BECAUSE I'm not happy; I'm taking a break because other shit I want to play is coming out, and the timing is fortuitous because I've been approaching "burned out" with Destiny. I'm not sure why, but I distinguish between "unhappy" and "burned out".

I guess it's possible to be SO happy with it that it prevents or delayed being burned out. If that's a thing, then the present circumstances aren't that. I'm hoping the November patch will drop while I'm otherwise occupied, and when I do come back, changes will have been made that compound with that 'refreshed' feeling a Destiny break lends.

I hear what you're saying. I'm kind of the opposite. I'm not burned out at all but I'm unhappy. I want to play more so badly and I keep trying, but I keep getting bit in the butt with beyond awful rewards from Hard Mode KF. It's like they want me to stop playing.

Then PvP is at a really not-fun state with the imbalances and I want to enjoy it so badly as well but this pulse rifle meta is so bad (imo)

I was even watching TripleWRECK and nKuch both get sooo mad at this meta and so unhappy. nKuch stopped streaming from being upset at this bad pvp state since snipers AA is through the roof. Broman and Goth both haven't been on the past week and have been playing BLOPS, supposedly. The first weekend of Trials, I have usually 6ish streams to watch and many times I had 0-1. Even this past weekend, I think I had 2 at the most. It's not the same.

I think most people are bored, unhappy, or burned out and the timing of that and all the release of games just happened to be a coincidence.

Heck this thread is moving really slow today for a reset.

Strider

However, I'm picky about who I play Trials with and I don't group with folks who get too invested into it. I have no time for those people.

Same. I have a zero tolerance for raging. I mean everybody at times makes comments, including me, such as "well that's some bullshit..." But that's different than getting legit mad over a game.

I've had to resort to muting people in party chat before because they'll rage too hard in iron banner or something... And then of course I won't ever group with them again.

stb

Nah, looks like something went awry in that CoD BLOPS race thread....

Those type of threads are just bans waiting to happen. Not even worth commenting lol.

Sucks. Yeah, I stay away from posting in those.

EDIT: thread is slow enough I need to edit to add responses to stuff. Crazy.

I hear what you're saying. I'm kind of the opposite. I'm not burned out at all but I'm unhappy. I want to play more so badly and I keep trying, but I keep getting bit in the butt with beyond awful rewards from Hard Mode KF. It's like they want me to stop playing.

Then PvP is at a really not-fun state with the imbalances and I want to enjoy it so badly as well but this pulse rifle meta is so bad (imo)

I was even watching TripleWRECK and nKuch both get sooo mad at this meta and so unhappy. nKuch stopped streaming from being upset at this bad pvp state since snipers AA is through the roof. Broman and Goth both haven't been on the past week and have been playing BLOPS.

I think most people are bored, unhappy, or burned out and the timing of that and all the release of games just happened to be a coincidence.

Heck this thread is moving really slow today for a reset.

Yeah, it's weird. I look forward to playing with my raid guys, but the last few weeks the voice in the back of my head is all "what's the point?"

We'd play Totems->Daughters, hit the Oryx wall, quit, and maybe gain one point of average light. To what end? To make Totems->Daughters a ltitle easiler next week? Maybe finally be the week we do HM Oryx as a group and get... an emblem? A useless primary?

I love playing with the group, but I think I'd rather we play Rocket League at this point.

Afrocious

After reading ocean's posts on the CODBLOPS 3 issue, he and I might have to exchange a few words on diversity in videogames because I'm just shaking my head right now.

Dear DGAF,

Allow me this one off topic post. I've been working on a secret thing for years. It's no longer secret. I've been wanting to share this with my friends for ages. I consider y'all in that group.

http://frenden.com/post/132948914097/joel-hodgson-reached-out-to-me-a-couple-of-years

tl;dr, I've been working on the relaunch of MST3K and the project launched a Kickstarter. I can finally speak about it, whew.

That feels good.

Awesome, MST3K is rad. Hope it gets fully funded.

I've got three spots open for HM Kings Fall on Xbox One tonight at 8:00 EST. Shoot me a message here if you'd like one. Or message ProgenitorRyan on Live.

Destiny cultivates a strong "fear of missing out" effect in me. But I realized: I'm missing out already when I actually play the content by getting shards or getting drops that are just terrible.

That's part of why I'm having a hard time getting the motivation to try Oryx again, because that jerk gives me shards instead of a helmet. And why punish myself with Hard mode when the drops there are equally terrible reskinned versions of normal mode gear?

At a more basic level, Bungie's weapons parts "fix" of letting us purchase them instead of upping drop rates of parts and weapons is really dismaying. It shows that Bungie doesn't want Destiny to be rewarding even at a basic economy level. I want my "value" to come in the form of actual gear, not in the parts I need to use them.

I just keep thinking about Diablo 3's loot system. Where drops rain down on you. And there are always economy hiccups, but I feel awesome playing that game. It feels even more awesome playing with friends. My friends and I had a clan. The first thing I'd do when I logged in would be to check the news scroll to see the loot my friends had gotten. We regularly text each other, "check out this awesome ring I got!" or "I just cleared this rift tier!"

Destiny doesn't have that feeling with its loot (when was the last time you couldn't wait to tell people about a drop you got for a reason other than the light level) and it doesn't have that feeling with progression.

I feel like in Year Two with Destiny I'm again battling against Bungie's loot design instead of against awesome monsters.

LTWood12

Absolutely. The only reason I'm playing Destiny now is because of DGAF and the cool folks I group up with to raid and do trials with. Hell, I'm not a pvp guy and the folks I've run Trials with are cool and we end up getting to Mercury.

Without them, I probably would've put the game up until the next major update.

I'll also admit that I'd be playing F4 now if I could find it 50% off somewhere.

This is exactly where I'm at. I play the game because I enjoy playing with all of you. Loot is cool and all but I would have quit a long time ago if not for the DGAF community. Even the hour long Oryx headscratcher last night, for me, was an entertaining time. I don't like quitting without beating something, but I still enjoyed the time hanging out w/ everyone.

E92 M3

Destiny cultivates a strong "fear of missing out" effect in me. But I realized: I'm missing out already when I actually play the content by getting shards or getting drops that are just terrible.

That's part of why I'm having a hard time getting the motivation to try Oryx again, because that jerk gives me shards instead of a helmet. And why punish myself with Hard mode when the drops there are equally terrible reskinned versions of normal mode gear?

At a more basic level, Bungie's weapons parts "fix" of letting us purchase them instead of upping drop rates of parts and weapons is really dismaying. It shows that Bungie doesn't want Destiny to be rewarding even at a basic economy level. I want my "value" to come in the form of actual gear, not in the parts I need to use them.

I just keep thinking about Diablo 3's loot system. Where drops rain down on you. And there are always economy hiccups, but I feel awesome playing that game. It feels even more awesome playing with friends. My friends and I had a clan. The first thing I'd do when I logged in would be to check the news scroll to see the loot my friends had gotten. We regularly text each other, "check out this awesome ring I got!" or "I just cleared this rift tier!"

Destiny doesn't have that feeling with its loot (when was the last time you couldn't wait to tell people about a drop you got for a reason other than the light level) and it doesn't have that feeling with progression.

I feel like in Year Two with Destiny I'm again battling against Bungie's loot design instead of against awesome monsters.

I agree on both points, especially "missing out." I honestly hate that feeling lol

SnakeEyes

Banned
I didn't realise how hard CoD and Fallout would hit DGAF, until rollover happened last night and I got invites from 4 separate groups needing people for a King's Fall raid.

phen0m24

Brainstorm

What if BNG made a planet (or moon) with almost no direction?

Like say it's a side story for a character like Cayde. You're on a moon of Saturn or wherever.

The ONLY indicator on the planet is patrol. You're forced to explore. As you find and scan things, missions get unlocked.

WHAT IF YOU PLAYED AS CAYDE????

DEAD

Because Bungie, the planet is chock full of secret stuff, missions, alt-missions (Spindle like) and who knows what else.

So not a story mode that guides you through but individual pieces of lore or back story unlocked in patrol.

I want to play as Cayde now. What if Cayde has special weapons that you can only use in PvE but maybe can unlock them if you clear the planet? Then they can still only be used in pve? Or only on patrol?

#playascayde6

~A month before The Dark Below, my 3 main IRL friends I played Destiny with on a daily basis since the Alpha, quit Destiny. They all went to play Diablo 3 and did so for many months. 2 of them hated the fact that they were stuck at #Forever29 and no progression was made, raid after raid, nightfall after nightfall, bounty after bounty. A couple of them picked it up for a couple of weeks sometime in the middle of HoW but that was it, they put it back down again and neither of the 3 haven't cared to even pick up TTK. It wasn't enough to keep them going. That makes me sad because well, they're my IRL buddies and they stopped enjoying Destiny enough to play other games. D3 suited their loot needs and I hear that comparison a lot on here.

Feorax

-Vex Mythoclast
-Hawkmoon
-Thorn
-Black Hammer (Spindle too, but mostly for the quest element)
-Gjallarhorn

All of these have something in common. All of them were devalued significantly by Bungie nerfs separately to the Y1 to Y2 migration.

(when was the last time you couldn't wait to tell people about a drop you got for a reason other than the light level)
Actually, I get a kick showing off my raid gear or my newly acquired Sleeper Stimulant to my more casual playing friends. I feel like everyone's a bit jaded in here. I know from casuals I play with that they do care about more than just light level.

Afrocious

~A month before The Dark Below, my 3 main IRL friends I played Destiny with on a daily basis since the Alpha, quit Destiny. They all went to play Diablo 3 and did so for many months. 2 of them hated the fact that they were stuck at #Forever29 and no progression was made, raid after raid, nightfall after nightfall, bounty after bounty. A couple of them picked it up for a couple of weeks sometime in the middle of HoW but that was it, they put it back down again and neither of the 3 haven't cared to even pick up TTK. It wasn't enough to keep them going. That makes me sad because well, they're my IRL buddies and they stopped enjoying Destiny enough to play other games. D3 suited their loot needs and I hear that comparison a lot on here.

D3, with Loot 2.0 and a few other patches along with Reaper of Souls, is a far better realized game than Destiny.

stb

This is a great post. I hope it's read by people.

-Vex Mythoclast
-Hawkmoon
-Thorn
-Black Hammer (Spindle too, but mostly for the quest element)
-Gjallarhorn

All of these have something in common. All of them were devalued significantly by Bungie nerfs separately to the Y1 to Y2 migration.

What kills me is that listing Y2 exotics that were as awesome as Y1 exotics is pretty hard.

Like, I don't think people use exotic weapons anymore as a centerpiece, I think they use them because they feel like they're supposed to equip one, and that's it.

I've already started regularly seeing trials teams that don't have any exotic weapons at all.

Bungie is so afraid of having a powerful weapon again, it's really stunted their imaginations.

It's been quite awhile since I ventured into D3 but the hardcore endgame that I remember required a small variety of very specific gear. Has this changed?

Afrocious

Seriously, if there are folks on DGAF that wants to play D3 either on PC or PS4, I am so on board with that.

Though I hear playing Wizard on PS4 sucks compared to PC.

It's been quite awhile since I ventured into D3 but the hardcore endgame that I remember required a small variety of very specific gear. Has this changed?

From what I've seen, there's several builds for a class that are considered optimal. It's basically a matter of picking and choosing what you want to go for, then doing what you can to get that specific gear.

E92 M3

What kills me is that listing Y2 exotics that were as awesome as Y1 exotics is pretty hard.

Like, I don't think people use exotic weapons anymore as a centerpiece, I think they use them because they feel like they're supposed to equip one, and that's it.

I've already started regularly seeing trials teams that don't have any exotic weapons at all.

Bungie is so afraid of having a powerful weapon again, it's really stunted their imaginations.

Exactly! Most of the time I don't have an exotic equipped for PVP or PVE. And that is kinda sad.

Actually, I get a kick showing off my raid gear or my newly acquired Sleeper Stimulant to my more casual playing friends. I feel like everyone's a bit jaded in here. I know from casuals I play with that they do care about more than just light level.
Every time someone writes Sleeper Stimulant, I want to respond "What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?" and I don't know why.

Pulse rifles don't "feel powerful", they're just effective. And this concept of effect Needs only makes sense relative to alternatives. Take away PR range and flinch a bit and they lose an effectiveness edge over Scouts, which all of a sudden will be more effective and viable.

Buffing isn't always the right call. Consider how PRs are no better than they were a few months ago but nobody used them back then.

The game is probably closer to being balanced now than its been since near-launch. HC accuracy buff, PR range cut, slight AR crit multiplier buff and give scouts the flinch. Erase Felwinter's archetype and limit to Invective tier impact. Cut sniper AA. Less special ammo in PvP to avoid "I run my secondary as a primary". And voila, effectiveness is more even across the board and the game is better off for it.

woah, why was Ocean banned?
edit: didn't see the comments on BLOPS but, ok *shrug*

Feorax

Zhalo is probably the closest, but in Y1 it probably would have been a tier 2 exotic at best. Same with Touch of Malice.

Exotics are a shame in year 2. In my opinion HoW got exotics right more so than any other time in Destiny. Lord of Wolves, Queensbreakers Bow, and to a far lesser extent Grey's Promise all were completely unique weapons. They weren't OP like some vanilla exotics, but they were desirable because they were so radically different from the other weapons available. The only ttk exotics that feel balanced and unique are probably the swords and Zhalo. The rest all feel pretty similar to legendary weapons with a small tweak.

D3 was really troubled at launch and has made tremendous strides. It's in such a great spot now. It's a ton of fun to play and I always felt like I made some progression, either directly on my character, or towards an alternate build or with some blood shards I could use on another toon.

But it is a pure loot game, which Destiny isn't? Or is?

Bungie is still figuring out what Destiny is. Year One Destiny was not really a loot game with fixed rewards for certain activities. They flirted with it with re-rolling, but it's really hard to do re-rolling with PvP. Luke said they wanted to lean into Destiny being a loot game and that's why they made the ghost a slot with stats and added the artifact slot, but they haven't gone far enough.

Diablo doesn't have anything like Nightfalls or, in particular, Raids. It don't have time intensive, challenging content with a weekly lockout. When I did the hardest rift I could, I had the satisfaction of doing a harder rift than I've ever done even if I didn't get the set item I needed. And if I didn't get the loot I wanted, I could immediately try again.

King's Fall is a long-ass raid, that frankly, is monotonous quickly. It's painful to wipe and once you spend the hour(s) on it and don't get what you want, you're locked out for a week. That's a time-loss both of that activity and also that you have to wait a week to try again. That's where the salt comes from.

Trials suffers here too. I have a cold I just can't kick, but I didn't want to miss out on the 5 wins helmet. So against my better judgment I didn't get into bed early last night. I got a card and with some (awesome) GAFers I got my helmet. And it was DISC/STR with orbs give melee energy. It's the worst roll I can imagine and I have 0 chance of getting another try. I should have gone to bed last night instead since it would have had the same result. (Other than playing with some fine gentlemen.)

X-Frame

Seriously, if there are folks on DGAF that wants to play D3 either on PC or PS4, I am so on board with that.

Though I hear playing Wizard on PS4 sucks compared to PC.

From what I've seen, there's several builds for a class that are considered optimal. It's basically a matter of picking and choosing what you want to go for, then doing what you can to get that specific gear.

I was play Diablo 3 on PS4 prior to TTK launching and I still had tons of fun, except for whenever I joined a public game and half the players had hacked or boosted gear allowing them to have like 500% rate of fire and 5000% XP bonus.

Zhalo is probably the closest, but in Y1 it probably would have been a tier 2 exotic at best. Same with Touch of Malice.

Supercell was probably planned to be implemented in Year 1 at some point, considering it doesn't follow the Year 2 rules every other weapon does.

Mainly, the shift from elemental primaries.

lt519

D3 suited their loot needs and I hear that comparison a lot on here.

Good thing Bungie has talked to Blizzard and is learning from them because the way that D3 does loot is incredible. There are some really basic things they could do that D3 does to improve Destiny immediately. Fireteam loot trading with a 30 minute time limit. Get that 317 Chest Armor when you already have a 318, give it to your buddy who is still rocking a 305. Re-rolling of one perk, chosing between a few roll outcomes, and that piece of loot being locked to re-rolling that perk. Re-rolling subsequently costs more and more if you want to min/max.

But sadly, it's because the loot in D3 is interesting. You have rings that make treasure goblins appear on kills, you have boots that create fire behind you, gear sets that give you all 4 of your perks instead of 1, crit damage increases, etc. They've actually made some new cool exotics since their discussion like Zhalo Supercell and Lord of Wolves that have D3's fingerprints all over them.

I mean look at these boots. This is just one of my 13 pieces of gear.

7rJ4pj7.png

Int, Str, Disc, LL in Destiny just don't do justice the number of variables you can have in a game that can create amazing builds. This one piece of boots has all 4 of those stats, plus a perk based bonus, a specific element resistance, a bonus all element resistance, bonus experience, bonus health, and then a set bonus that unlocks one of the most powerful Barbarian perks. This is what an exotic should look like. I should be chasing this, not a weapon with cocoon.

phen0m24

(That feel when you think you're on ignore)

Trying to give the game some more exploratory type activity, people. What did you think?

And why not play some back story missions AS Cayde or Eris or whomever?

Yea pretty much. Many times I've played with 0 exotics. It's either because
1) Equipping exotic drops my light
2) Don't need one

Primary:
PvP: Pulse Rifle
PvE Anything/ Raid Totems to Golgy: Hung Jury or Zhalo.
PvE Daughters/Oryx Touch

Secondary: 1000 yard stare for everything

Heavy:
PvP:Truth
PvE: Raid RL because 319.
Raid MG.

Not much variation. PvP is the most static. PvE just has 3 options for primary, 2 for heavy.

Good thing Bungie has talked to Blizzard and is learning from them because the way that D3 does loot is incredible. There are some really basic things they could do that D3 does to improve Destiny immediately. Fireteam loot trading with a 30 minute time limit. Get that 317 Chest Armor when you already have a 318, give it to your buddy who is still rocking a 305.

But sadly, it's because the loot in D3 is interesting. You have rings that make treasure goblins appear on kills, you have boots that create fire behind you, gear sets that give you all 4 of your perks instead of 1, crit damage increases, etc. They've actually made some new cool exotics since their discussion like Zhalo Supercell that have D3's fingerprints all over them.

Int, Str, Disc, LL in Destiny just don't do justice the number of variables you can have in a game that can create amazing builds. This one piece of boots has all 4 of those stats, plus a perk based bonus, a specific element resistance, a bonus all element resistance, bonus experience, bonus health, and then a set bonus that unlocks one of the most powerful Barbarian perks. This is what an exotic should look like. I should be chasing this, not a weapon with cocoon.

I think bungie will get there eventually with Desitny 2. I think they were super afraid of calling Destiny an MMO because they didn't want to be "yet another MMO that wants to be the WoW killer" or whatever.

Since TTK, they seem to be embracing the MMO-lite mindset a bit more, but they aren't there yet.

They really need to give us things like hard stat number on weapons/armor/perks so we know what the hell is actually going on with our own gear. No more of this "Chance on kill to drastically reduce melee cooldown."

What the hell does that even mean?

I'd be game for firing it up again.

Yeah but ultimately you still end up on hamster wheel looking for very rare, very specific drops and getting rid of anything else. Not sure how that ends up being different from Destiny. There's more choices in builds, I guess, but it's not like you're not beholden to RNG there too. And the actual gameplay, to me, is less satisfying. Not that's not fun though.

Feorax

Trying to give the game some more exploratory type activity, people. What did you think?

As much as an improvement as TTK was, I'm not sure if I have enough faith in Bungie just yet to do purely exploratory/story based missions with less gunplay.

To be honest, I still don't really know what sets my own guardian's story apart from every other npc guardian we come across.

Homeboyd

Yeah, good post. This is what made me stop playing. As I've said elsewhere, chasing numbers is not fun. Getting shards is not fun. Getting literally nothing from a challenging encounter is not fun. This is a loot game... or, it was a loot game.

There isn't a single exotic in the game now worth the chase. Not one of them will spark a new wave of "reaction vids" on youtube like we had for the gjallarhorn. Yeah, the gun was "broken" but only against computer enemies. It didn't ruin the experiences of other players. That gun (and others like it; fatebringer, vision, ice breaker, mida) made running the same content over and over again fun. Seeing your buddies get those drops and talk about how amazing they are made you just keep chasing so you can experience it yourself. Makes the content you've run over and over again fun again. Brings a new perspective to every encounter.

Now we have a bunch of dull exotic guns, dull exotic armors that add slight buffs, mostly barely noticeable; none worth the chase. Like you guys have said many times; it's the best shooter out there (imo as well). . Gunplay can't be beat. Art direction is second to none. UI = goat. But the loot... The "progression" meaning you have to chase #'s instead of good gear. The economy nerfs. The need to throw blanket nerfs on everything and make everything less fun to use. The need to balance pvp alongside pve. All of these things just killed it for me. Has nothing to do with other games coming out. Other games came out over the past year and 2 months and I didn't care at all. It's this stuff that made me want to go play other games... at a time when there are a lot of options on the table.

I'll be back to check the new content down the road, but unless the investment team is completely shaken up and is willing to scratch everything they've done in TTK, I probably won't stick around for long. Destiny dropped with some pretty good rolls, but nerf after nerf has made this thing end up looking like the modern day Vex Mythoclast. May it rest in pieces.

I would love more exploration. This was the best part about dreadnought patrol early on. We would run around and find fun new stuff that we didn't know about.

The only problem with more exploration is it isn't very repeatable. I think Bungie would be best served by focusing on creating very repeatable endgame activities that are enjoyable and rewarding. Exploration would make for an enjoyable experience, but we need more enjoyable stuff once we have exhausted all the content.

Good thing Bungie has talked to Blizzard and is learning from them because the way that D3 does loot is incredible. There are some really basic things they could do that D3 does to improve Destiny immediately. Fireteam loot trading with a 30 minute time limit. Get that 317 Chest Armor when you already have a 318, give it to your buddy who is still rocking a 305. Re-rolling of one perk, chosing between a few roll outcomes, and that piece of loot being locked to re-rolling that perk. Re-rolling subsequently costs more and more if you want to min/max.

But sadly, it's because the loot in D3 is interesting. You have rings that make treasure goblins appear on kills, you have boots that create fire behind you, gear sets that give you all 4 of your perks instead of 1, crit damage increases, etc. They've actually made some new cool exotics since their discussion like Zhalo Supercell and Lord of Wolves that have D3's fingerprints all over them.

Yeah...if Destiny could somehow adapt a loot set like that, it'd make Destiny possibly the best shooter/loot game out there.

Like, in D3 my favorite set is this because of how crazy it is(I do have all 6 piece, just deaths breath farming >_>)-
Imagine if Sunsingers had a set like that, they die a meteor falls, their fire grenades blow up the first 3 enemies hit, and eventually their fire weapons do stacking damage? Like...Bungie needs to go out there with their loot. Have elements mean something. Have classes that prefer this or that element and gain bonuses for it.

Top Bottom