• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

No carrots.
No fun allowed.

I didn't complete one last hard oryx kill last night (got my 1 on xbox, and only 2 on ps4), and I honestly don't care like I would normally. I don't get that feeling of "missing out" because what, I might finally get a primary higher than 310? Lolz

phen0m24

Interesting idea. One of the things I liked about the early TTK missions is seeing that all those npcs actually do have personalities. Could certainly be another way to explore that.

As much as an improvement as TTK was, I'm not sure if I have enough faith in Bungie just yet to do purely exploratory/story based missions with less gunplay.

To be honest, I still don't really know what sets my own guardian's story apart from every other npc guardian we come across.

There could still be enemies on the planet but I mean as bat bleep crazy gets every time there's a daily with the chance of something like spindle, if there was a planet chock full of those available all the time I'd likely be there all the time.

If able to play as a character not just generic guardian the interactions might be really fun too. Meet other NPC's and piece together a story... Maybe just a fun way to pick up lore or uncover it yourself rather than reading books online.

And as fun kinda as the Dreadnaught was, was there much story???

GhaleonEB

Destiny cultivates a strong "fear of missing out" effect in me. But I realized: I'm missing out already when I actually play the content by getting shards or getting drops that are just terrible.

That's part of why I'm having a hard time getting the motivation to try Oryx again, because that jerk gives me shards instead of a helmet. And why punish myself with Hard mode when the drops there are equally terrible reskinned versions of normal mode gear?

At a more basic level, Bungie's weapons parts "fix" of letting us purchase them instead of upping drop rates of parts and weapons is really dismaying. It shows that Bungie doesn't want Destiny to be rewarding even at a basic economy level. I want my "value" to come in the form of actual gear, not in the parts I need to use them.

I just keep thinking about Diablo 3's loot system. Where drops rain down on you. And there are always economy hiccups, but I feel awesome playing that game. It feels even more awesome playing with friends. My friends and I had a clan. The first thing I'd do when I logged in would be to check the news scroll to see the loot my friends had gotten. We regularly text each other, "check out this awesome ring I got!" or "I just cleared this rift tier!"

Destiny doesn't have that feeling with its loot (when was the last time you couldn't wait to tell people about a drop you got for a reason other than the light level) and it doesn't have that feeling with progression.

I feel like in Year Two with Destiny I'm again battling against Bungie's loot design instead of against awesome monsters.

I actually had the exact opposite reaction to the weapon parts fix. I have been drowning in glimmer, and way short on weapon parts, so the fix seems like a good solution to both to me. I also kind of want more of the economy to circle around glimmer, which had become less and less important as time went on, so I'm glad it will be important again.

I'm in the 'optimize' phase of progression for my Titan and Hunter, and have been enjoying it as I regularly get weapons with better and better rolls. My Hunter just got a full set of burn / element resistance armor, and a killer scout rifle with nearly max stability and full auto that I just got leveled. My Titan just bagged a version of the Vanguard hand cannon, with Firefly and Third Eye that had me all but leaping out of my seat. A couple recent Armsday weapons had great perks.

It's always interesting to read impressions from you guys, since you're playing at a higher level than I (I don't do Trials or HM raid). Probably for that reason, the loot I get is still valuable to me, still moving me up and still driving optimization. There would definitely be a drop-off that enthusiasm if I were over 300 and had really optimized my character. At that point it just becomes running endgame activities for fun (as opposed to fun and loot) and waiting for more content.

Yeah, the gun was "broken" but only against computer enemies. It didn't ruin the experiences of other players...
I actually disagree with this. I think that maybe ruin is too strong but it did negatively affect other players: from players wanting ballerhorns only for Nightfall runs to folks blowing up stuff before other players can get in on the fun of the fight. As someone who never got one until the final sale, I definitely felt it.

lt519

Yeah but ultimately you still end up on hamster wheel looking for very rare, very specific drops and getting rid of anything else. Not sure how that ends up being different from Destiny. There's more choices in builds, I guess, but it's not like you're not beholden to RNG there too. And the actual gameplay, to me, is less satisfying. Not that's not fun though.

But you have the option of builds. There is no build in Destiny. It's max intellect, chose a movement style that suits you, and then slap a Pulse Rifle (or Hung Jury) and your choice of Shotgun/Sniper and you're done with your build. There is no interaction between equipment and perks. In Diablo III I may be chasing end game gear but I can chase multiple kinds. I got a Three Thousand Year Spear with my Sword and Board Barbarian that was better than anything he had so I completely rebuilt my character around the glass cannon archetype (changing all my attacks and perks to ranged fighting) to make him stronger to complete higher level content I couldn't do before. I didn't have to keep searching for a higher power sword, it could have been a higher powered anything. That is where the interaction between class perks and weapons is so important, it removes a meta of a weapon. Spear, sword, axe, hammer, whatever, doesn't matter give it a perk that boosts my class perks and I can create an entire new build out of it.

Yeah...if Destiny could somehow adapt a loot set like that, it'd make Destiny possibly the best shooter/loot game out there.

Like, in D3 my favorite set is this because of how crazy it is(I do have all 6 piece, just deaths breath farming >_>)-

Imagine if Sunsingers had a set like that, they die a meteor falls, their fire grenades blow up the first 3 enemies hit, and eventually their fire weapons do stacking damage? Like...Bungie needs to go out there with their loot. Have elements mean something. Have classes that prefer this or that element and gain bonuses for it.

Seriously, my TDB raid set should have made me explode like a cursed thrall whenever I was killed. My King's Fall set should make me leave a trail of taken aura behind me suppressing Sunbreaking titans chasing me. How is that not incredibly fun?! I'm actually not being sarcastic. We chase these raid sets but when we actually get a full set it doesn't do anything special.

Homeboyd

I actually disagree with this. I think that maybe ruin is too strong but it did negatively affect other players: from players wanting ballerhorns only for Nightfall runs to folks blowing up stuff before other players can get in on the fun of the fight. As someone who never got one until the final sale, I definitely felt it.
Yeah but if you go the lfg route vs playing with friends, you're always going to find this type of shit. Hell even NOW people require that you be 310+ for NM KF or even Nightfalls. Lfg has no idea what they're talking about half the time when forming groups.

I'm saying the way the gun behaved in-game didn't not cause other players in the game to have a bad experience like a broken pvp weapon would/did.

phen0m24

I would love more exploration. This was the best part about dreadnought patrol early on. We would run around and find fun new stuff that we didn't know about.

The only problem with more exploration is it isn't very repeatable. I think Bungie would be best served by focusing on creating very repeatable endgame activities that are enjoyable and rewarding. Exploration would make for an enjoyable experience, but we need more enjoyable stuff once we have exhausted all the content.

But single player. Stuff can be added to the planet a la the changes to the tower except not cosmetic but new missions or branches off them. Scan Kabr's watch and play that mission.

Next week is an artifact on a shelf or a downed ship or insert anything here. An npc you find in the wild.

But each thing you unlock tells you a story, not just kill everything. I don't know. I'm spit balling.

I actually had the exact opposite reaction to the weapon parts fix. I have been drowning in glimmer, and way short on weapon parts, so the fix seems like a good solution to both to me. I also kind of want more of the economy to circle around glimmer, which had become less and less important as time went on, so I'm glad it will be important again.

I'm in the 'optimize' phase of progression for my Titan and Hunter, and have been enjoying it as I regularly get weapons with better and better rolls. My Hunter just got a full set of burn / element resistance armor, and a killer scout rifle with nearly max stability and full auto that I just got leveled. My Titan just bagged a version of the Vanguard hand cannon, with Firefly and Third Eye that had me all but leaping out of my seat. A couple recent Armsday weapons had great perks.

It's always interesting to read impressions from you guys, since you're playing at a higher level than I (I don't do Trials or HM raid). Probably for that reason, the loot I get is still valuable to me, still moving me up and still driving optimization. There would definitely be a drop-off that enthusiasm if I were over 300 and had really optimized my character. At that point it just becomes running endgame activities for fun (as opposed to fun and loot) and waiting for more content.

See, I can see how someone who is still progressing up their Light Level is still having fun, but for those of us above 305ish hit a solid wall

We can't really progress because we're waiting on RNG to bless us, and when we can porgress, we no longer get to pick out gear, because we have to wear whatever is the highest light for us.

I really wonder what Luke thinks about it because I know he talked about us having different kits, but that's near impossible to do. I don't understand why loot can't drop more regularly and I can use that gear itself, or infuse with it to make my own set. I'd love to make an Arc set, Sol set, and Void set. Then a PvP set, and a raid set.

Instead I have 1 set of gear for max light level, and another set for crucible that really just consists of my year 1 armamentairum because I refuse to let go.

Homeboyd

Yeah but if you go the lfg route vs playing with friends, you're always going to find this type of shit. Hell even NOW people require that you be 310+ for NM KF or even Nightfalls. Lfg has no idea what they're talking about half the time when forming groups.

I'm saying the way the gun behaved in-game didn't not cause other players in the game to have a bad experience like a broken pvp weapon would/did.

I don't ever recall people "blowing up all the enemies before I could get in on the fun" at all.. and I didn't have one for a long time. Gjally was a boss killer.

But you have the option of builds. There is no build in Destiny. It's max intellect, chose a movement style that suits you, and then slap a Pulse Rifle (or Hung Jury) and your choice of Shotgun/Sniper and you're done with your build. There is no interaction between equipment and perks. In Diablo III I may be chasing end game gear but I can chase multiple kinds. I got a Three Thousand Year Spear with my Sword and Board Barbarian that was better than anything he had so I completely rebuilt my character around the glass cannon archetype (changing all my attacks and perks to ranged fighting) to make him stronger to complete higher level content I couldn't do before. I didn't have to keep searching for a higher power sword, it could have been a higher powered anything.
No question but RNG is still gonna RNG. Ultimately, though maybe this has changed, for the hardest tier activities, the amount of builds was not that great (though it's been a long time since I looked over the optimizing boards). There's still a lot that Destiny could learn from the D3 system and I'd love some different build-out meta to come to Destiny but, oddly given everybody else's experiences here, I haven't worried about being purely optimal. I like scout rifles so I run scount rifles. I alternate between fusions and snipers and I like my machine guns. That's how I roll. When I get something new, I try it out. If I like it, I tweak my loadout and work on its perks. If I don't, I trash it or use it for infusion and move on.

I don't ever recall people "blowing up all the enemies before I could get in on the fun" at all.. and I didn't have one for a long time. Gjally was a boss killer.
I used to love running into folks hammering the extraction crew public events with rockets before the troops hit the ground and losing out because I didn't get to inflict any damage on them. Gjally was brutal in those situations.

Strider

I got d3 and RoS when the expansion launched on PC and I've put over 300 hours into it. Love it and plan on putting in many more hours especially when the next season starts.

After playing destiny for a while d3 always scratches that loot chasing itch

If destiny copied that loot system is be happy

geordiemp

That level is fun, but when your 313 on 3 characters, kill Oryx 3 times tonight on Hard mode and all I got was + 2 light level on capes which creeps me up on the 313 rung...wow...... All other stuff was lower than I already had. To run the hard mode raid 3 times and get worthless rubbish lwoer level than you are and lower than guns you already have is just meh

Getting 310 to 312 stuff is just pointless and I cannot progress.

Homeboyd

I used to love running into folks hammering the extraction crew public events with rockets before the troops hit the ground and losing out because I didn't get to inflict any damage on them. Gjally was brutal in those situations.
Sure but we're talking about patrol instances... and even then, they don't have infinite ammo. Other rockets/weapons with that kind of ammo would do tons of damage too if you were constantly running into folks in those instances.

But again, this is the side effect of having an actual powerful weapon. It sucks you didn't get to experience it dropping when it mattered. One of my favorite moments in year 1. Being able to join those kids who were having so much fun steamrolling stuff was a great feeling.

(Btw, you're leaving out all the other great gear from yr 1 and only focusing on gjally. Vision, fatebringer, found verdict, mida, ice breaker, thunderlord, etc.... all worth chasing)

But single player. Stuff can be added to the planet a la the changes to the tower except not cosmetic but new missions or branches off them. Scan Kabr's watch and play that mission.

Next week is an artifact on a shelf or a downed ship or insert anything here. An npc you find in the wild.

But each thing you unlock tells you a story, not just kill everything. I don't know. I'm spit balling.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the idea of adding more intrigue and story. The lore is so interesting that it would be great to interact more directly with it. For example I would love a mission where you are teleport ed back in time by Vex technology into the battle of Twilight Gap. It's just hard to want this kind of thing too much when there are so many other improvements that need to be made first.

people talk about how great the year 1 exotics were but once you had the horn that was the only thing ever worth equipping because it just far outclassed everything else

I'm in the optimize phase as well and that's what's driving me nuts. There's not enough loot to let me play and optimize. I'm not one of those guys who complains because they're at 318 and they only need 320 drops. I'm at 306 light with raid gear, ~300 otherwise. But I'm trying to build out a lot of different ways to play. So much gear would be valuable to me if I could get it.

I want the following things:
  • INT/DISC Solar Scout Sniper
  • INT DISC Arc Pulse Sniper
  • INT STR Void Shotgun
  • INT DISC Void Scout Sniper
I want PvP and PvE themed versions of those things. But there's not enough loot to make them happen. I'm this clown of perks and stats. That's 4-8 sets that I want to make, so, in theory, lots of gear should be viable to me, but I get legendary gear so seldomly that I can't make it work.

And then I can't really experiment. I have a full auto DIS-47 that I'm really enjoying in PvP, but I've already spent all this time building a Pulse Rifle set, so I'm at a disadvantage using it.

I don't even care about light. I just want gear. I want to build kits. But I can't, so I stick with 1000 yard stare and Hung Jury and use what's effective instead of playing around and experimenting.

As others have said, the lack of legendaries dropping and the lack of meaningful exotics prevents any real builds.

But you have the option of builds. There is no build in Destiny. It's max intellect, chose a movement style that suits you, and then slap a Pulse Rifle (or Hung Jury) and your choice of Shotgun/Sniper and you're done with your build. There is no interaction between equipment and perks. In Diablo III I may be chasing end game gear but I can chase multiple kinds. I got a Three Thousand Year Spear with my Sword and Board Barbarian that was better than anything he had so I completely rebuilt my character around the glass cannon archetype (changing all my attacks and perks to ranged fighting) to make him stronger to complete higher level content I couldn't do before. I didn't have to keep searching for a higher power sword, it could have been a higher powered anything. That is where the interaction between class perks and weapons is so important, it removes a meta of a weapon. Spear, sword, axe, hammer, whatever, doesn't matter give it a perk that boosts my class perks and I can create an entire new build out of it.

I agree with this so much. We need variety!

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual

I think that has more to do with screening to only have dedicated players. I'd bet most capable players who play consistently are mostly over 310 by now. Sure, some people don't know what they're talking about, but others just don't want to spend 2 hours on NM Oryx.

people talk about how great the year 1 exotics were but once you had the horn that was the only thing ever worth equipping because it just far outclassed everything else

Nope.

The Vex was awesome in it's prime.
Truth was crazy good for PvP.
Thorn, Hawkmoon and TLW were amazing for PvP.
IceBreaker was mandatory way before Ghorn was.

I could go on...

Afrocious

tbh, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but Borderlands (ick) deals with loot better and crazy abilities between classes.

Hell, perhaps crucible is what's preventing classes from being too different from one another.

Well...that and the drip of content over time.

Seriously, my TDB raid set should have made me explode like a cursed thrall whenever I was killed. My King's Fall set should make me leave a trail of taken aura behind me suppressing Sunbreaking titans chasing me. How is that not incredibly fun?! I'm actually not being sarcastic. We chase these raid sets but when we actually get a full set it doesn't do anything special.

I've discussed the idea of raid sets before, but yeah. Like, how cool would it be for the VoG Titan set to give you a rotating shield like Hydras have? If the Crota Titan set gave you 5x increased melee damage and you go in a berserk state of punching everything on super activation(After the super obviously, not replacing it)?

In tandem with a system like Etheric light, suddenly players have choice, and it keeps old content relevant. Suddenly people are playing VoG or Crotas end not just for higher light levels, but for a goal of having an optional way to play. Suddenly it's not a vertical progression but a horizontal progression.

Suddenly people aren't playing the same, they're collecting armor not just for light level but because it fundamentally alters their playstyle. Titans with this hypothetical VoG set can serve as tanks, standing in front and adjusting based on how their shield is rotating, or if they're rocking a crota set they can just charge forward and punch things to death.

It'd be cool. It'd be awesome. It'd be something to strive forward, it'd be better than just chasing a higher light level, you're chasing something that adds to the gameplay inherent to each class.

NF x3 anyone?

getting on now.

lt519

No question but RNG is still gonna RNG. Ultimately, though maybe this has changed, for the hardest tier activities, the amount of builds was not that great (though it's been a long time since I looked over the optimizing boards). There's still a lot that Destiny could learn from the D3 system and I'd love some different build-out meta to come to Destiny but, oddly given everybody else's experiences here, I haven't worried about being purely optimal. I like scout rifles so I run scount rifles. I alternate between fusions and snipers and I like my machine guns. That's how I roll. When I get something new, I try it out. If I like it, I tweak my loadout and work on its perks. If I don't, I trash it or use it for infusion and move on.

But that's just trying new weapons out. Diablo could do that with an axe, spear, and sword. I'm talking about creating builds based off of equipment you find. You don't build your character any different because you found a hand cannon with firefly.

Zhalo is a great example of a weapon worth chasing because it's crazy fun but it also interacts with Arc builds great. When I get a double kill with it, it proc's my arc agility boots, and I'm a blazing fast hunter flying around creating chained electricity. Sounds like a Warlock super right?

Build upon that and give me armor that boosts my arc damage when I'm moving, now I'm creating a cycle of having a weapon that feeds my speed with kills and speed that feeds my damage while firing an arc lightning weapon from the hip. Add some class perks into a helmet that proc's a stormfall when I've chained lightning for 15 seconds straight. This is the interaction that's needed to make chasing loot fun again. That may be hard to implement, but if they want to get somewhere more fun with the loot it's the direction they should start looking in (and I think they have).

Right on my man

Feorax

In high dps pve situations against big targets, I agree.

In PvP however, Hawkmoon, Thunderlord, Thorn, Truth and MIDA were all infinitely more useful.

You could also use Bad Juju in PvE for a high intellect build on a void walker for example (combined with obsidian mind) and let's not forget just how much of a darling Ice Breaker was for the longest time.

Even lower tier weapons like 4th Horseman and P&T had some really interesting and useful, practical perks.

you can still do that with bad juju and fourth horseman is also y2

obviously in pvp there were better options but for pve using anything else was purely for novelty sake

Feorax

you can still do that with bad juju and fourth horseman is also y2

obviously in pvp there were better options but for pve using anything else was purely for novelty sake

Juju is fine but shotguns aren't what they were, so horseman is pretty much out.

Fwiw, I'd rather have an Ice Breaker in Y1 than Gjallarhorn anyday. Infinite special weapon ammo for any special weapon I equip? Made pretty much any encounter bar Crota/Skolas trivial.

...I'm talking about creating builds based off of equipment you find...
This is true up to a point but at the end, your choices for viability contract quite a bit (as I remember).

I think Destiny might be slowly building in more builds off of equipment-- there are some synergies with armor and subclass elements, and granting free class perks. It's not much but there's a hint of it and it's something they might build more of.

On the flip side, the nice thing about it is I can totally change up my character build practically on the fly and not have to ditch all my equipment. Zhalo is just as fun if I run Sunsinger than if I run arc-sith-lord. I'm not trapped by my equipment.

Juju is fine but shotguns aren't what they were, so horseman is pretty much out.

Fwiw, I'd rather have an Ice Breaker in Y1 than Gjallarhorn anyday. Infinite special weapon ammo for any special weapon I equip? Made pretty much any encounter bar Crota/Skolas trivial.

Yeah nothing like that 8 second regen rate :p just use Invective.

tbh, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but Borderlands (ick) deals with loot better and crazy abilities between classes.

Hell, perhaps crucible is what's preventing classes from being too different from one another.

Well...that and the drip of content over time.

Personally, Borderlands 2 is easily a better game in almost every way compared to Destiny. Destiny has better gunplay(shit, Destiny has better gunplay than almost any other game ever made) and it has social aspects that make playing with others on a regular basis addictive. If Borderlands had gunplay just as good as well as daily and weekly activities, I'd be playing it instead.

And it's always been obvious to me that EVERYTHING in Destiny has to be balanced around crucible. It's why the game can't have things that are too crazy or devastating or just plain weird in it. PVP holds PVE back in a lot of ways. It's why the game is still mostly a shooter with rpg shit sprinkled in.
The sad part is that pvp sucks right now, so it's all for nothing anyways.

This is true up to a point but at the end, your choices for viability contract quite a bit (as I remember).

I think Destiny might be slowly building in more builds off of equipment-- there are some synergies with armor and subclass elements, and granting free class perks. It's not much but there's a hint of it and it's something they might build more of.

On the flip side, the nice thing about it is I can totally change up my character build practically on the fly and not have to ditch all my equipment. Zhalo is just as fun if I run Sunsinger than if I run arc-sith-lord. I'm not trapped by my equipment.

I think they struck a good balance here. Exotic weapons are class/subclass agnostic, while many exotic armor pieces are subclass specific.

They've even started playing around with subclass specific weapons, like my Defender's Immobius.

that's crazy

icebreaker may have had its moment in the sun for vanilla when more people had it than the horn and it was good for cheesing the templar and Atheon but once black hammer came around it was vault status

also didn't ammo synths used to be broken if you died? that made icebreakers perk more valuable

E92 M3

Separate PvE and PvP.

Yep, have always been saying that it's the key to the holyland.

Until, I'm blue in the face, I will continue to say that no one wants to feel "balanced" or "average." Bungie needs to make more things OP and fun for PVE. Get people excited like the shotgun buff with HoW. Shotguns were so much fun. I don't even use exotics because most of them are shit. Black Spindle, Truth and swords are the main squeeze.

stay gold

Finally got my Hunter levelled up and tried the Nightstalker class. Shadestep is a bit of a game changer isn't it? Gonna be hard to go back to the Warlock after that.

Top Bottom