• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Personally, Borderlands 2 is easily a better game in almost every way compared to Destiny. Destiny has better gunplay(shit, Destiny has better gunplay than almost any other game ever made) and it has social aspects that make playing with others on a regular basis addictive. If Borderlands had gunplay just as good as well as daily and weekly activities, I'd be playing it instead.

And it's always been obvious to me that EVERYTHING in Destiny has to be balanced around crucible. It's why the game can't have things that are too crazy or devastating or just plain weird in it. PVP holds PVE back in a lot of ways. It's why the game is still mostly a shooter with rpg shit sprinkled in.
The sad part is that pvp sucks right now, so it's all for nothing anyways.
I loved Borderlands 2 but Destiny, via the gunplay, the social aspects (as underdeveloped as they are) and the drop in/drop out ease of getting into the game just hit a sweet spot for me. I haven't played any game as much as I've played Destiny, at least as an adult. I just passed 300 hours, per bungie.net.

Feorax

Speaking of t3 CoO, is there a way to kill Mini Crota when the first Dreadnaught mission is the daily?

Seems like the kind of thing that would hide a secret.

You know I don't mind getting 20 3ocs from 2 nightfalls

but gimme dem coins

edit-kadey it's incredibly funny to me we picked the same classes for each nightfall without coordination

Homeboyd

Right but this may be why they didn't want to continue that approach. It's always fun when you have it, a lot less fun when you don't.
You say that as if I haven't been part of that group. I was for a long time.

The alternative is you have what we have now; a bunch of unfun weapons with unfun perks that no one cares about. Imo, THIS is a lot less fun.

(That feel when you think you're on ignore)

Trying to give the game some more exploratory type activity, people. What did you think?

And why not play some back story missions AS Cayde or Eris or whomever?

Exploration, yes. Play as NPC's, nah. I'm not interested in it and it also doesn't fit the profile Bungie has set for your Guardian building their own story.

Good thing Bungie has talked to Blizzard and is learning from them because the way that D3 does loot is incredible. There are some really basic things they could do that D3 does to improve Destiny immediately. Fireteam loot trading with a 30 minute time limit. Get that 317 Chest Armor when you already have a 318, give it to your buddy who is still rocking a 305. Re-rolling of one perk, chosing between a few roll outcomes, and that piece of loot being locked to re-rolling that perk. Re-rolling subsequently costs more and more if you want to min/max.

But sadly, it's because the loot in D3 is interesting. You have rings that make treasure goblins appear on kills, you have boots that create fire behind you, gear sets that give you all 4 of your perks instead of 1, crit damage increases, etc. They've actually made some new cool exotics since their discussion like Zhalo Supercell and Lord of Wolves that have D3's fingerprints all over them.

I mean look at these boots. This is just one of my 13 pieces of gear.

Int, Str, Disc, LL in Destiny just don't do justice the number of variables you can have in a game that can create amazing builds. This one piece of boots has all 4 of those stats, plus a perk based bonus, a specific element resistance, a bonus all element resistance, bonus experience, bonus health, and then a set bonus that unlocks one of the most powerful Barbarian perks. This is what an exotic should look like. I should be chasing this, not a weapon with cocoon.

Last I checked, D3 didn't have PvP. Is that still true?

that's crazy

icebreaker may have had its moment in the sun for vanilla when more people had it than the horn and it was good for cheesing the templar and Atheon but once black hammer came around it was vault status

also didn't ammo synths used to be broken if you died? that made icebreakers perk more valuable

Icebreaker wasn't an auto vault even after Black Hammer and I don't ever recall the ammo synths being broken. I remember there was an issue with a perk on Titan armor or something that was broken.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
310 Touch me, 310 Invective and 15 coins. Pretty good NF considering I didn't have the former two at 310 yet. And I got another Maulers.

Thanks for the help Canned, Saitan and Mace.

LTWood12

Sure but we're talking about patrol instances... and even then, they don't have infinite ammo. Other rockets/weapons with that kind of ammo would do tons of damage too if you were constantly running into folks in those instances.

But again, this is the side effect of having an actual powerful weapon. It sucks you didn't get to experience it dropping when it mattered. One of my favorite moments in year 1. Being able to join those kids who were having so much fun steamrolling stuff was a great feeling.

(Btw, you're leaving out all the other great gear from yr 1 and only focusing on gjally. Vision, fatebringer, found verdict, mida, ice breaker, thunderlord, etc.... all worth chasing)

Right but this may be why they didn't want to continue that approach. It's always fun when you have it, a lot less fun when you don't.

But that's the thing, a lot of the fun for me came from the chase. Having the weapons was super fun yeah, but chasing them was too. Helping other chase them too. Now there's not really anything to chase. Just more stuff to give to stuff you already like.

peetfeet

Looking for peeps to do the VoG to get the eye of atheon, just me and 2 mates at the mo, two of us previously done it, one noob. Anybody else out there fancy a run? We're doing the no time to explain quest.

lt519

Last I checked, D3 didn't have PvP. Is that still true?

Correct, but it doesn't invalidate the need for more interesting gear that has good synergy with the classes or just more interesting perks. More interesting builds will lead to more interesting PvP. They can keep a normalized mode, turn off raid set perks, w/e they want, but I still think it would be fun if the PvP gameplay had some more strategy to it than the typical FPS strategy. Give people elemental shields if they are wearing all void gear so your team has to have a good variety of weapons. Make it obvious at match start what you are facing so you can prep.

See a guy with full Crota's End gear set, nope don't want to melee him, that's a death sentence. Seeing a Titan with King's Fall set that drops Taken Patches that suppress supers, probably don't want to chase him throwing hammers. Seeing a Hunter with a full Trials set of gear that grants him a larger AoE on his bow, stay away from those control points? Sounds fun to me, maybe the gear isn't optimized for PvP but the added benefit of exploding like a cursed thrall is worth it to that player. Entices people to try new sets of gear.

Biggy

Looking for peeps to do the VoG to get the eye of atheon, just me and 2 mates at the mo, two of us previously done it, one noob. Anybody else out there fancy a run? We're doing the no time to explain quest.
I can help out in about 15mins, won't be able to mic up though.

Yeah, good post. This is what made me stop playing. As I've said elsewhere, chasing numbers is not fun. Getting shards is not fun. Getting literally nothing from a challenging encounter is not fun. This is a loot game... or, it was a loot game.

There isn't a single exotic in the game now worth the chase. Not one of them will spark a new wave of "reaction vids" on youtube like we had for the gjallarhorn. Yeah, the gun was "broken" but only against computer enemies. It didn't ruin the experiences of other players. That gun (and others like it; fatebringer, vision, ice breaker, mida) made running the same content over and over again fun. Seeing your buddies get those drops and talk about how amazing they are made you just keep chasing so you can experience it yourself. Makes the content you've run over and over again fun again. Brings a new perspective to every encounter.

Now we have a bunch of dull exotic guns, dull exotic armors that add slight buffs, mostly barely noticeable; none worth the chase. Like you guys have said many times; it's the best shooter out there (imo as well). . Gunplay can't be beat. Art direction is second to none. UI = goat. But the loot... The "progression" meaning you have to chase #'s instead of good gear. The economy nerfs. The need to throw blanket nerfs on everything and make everything less fun to use. The need to balance pvp alongside pve. All of these things just killed it for me. Has nothing to do with other games coming out. Other games came out over the past year and 2 months and I didn't care at all. It's this stuff that made me want to go play other games... at a time when there are a lot of options on the table.

I'll be back to check the new content down the road, but unless the investment team is completely shaken up and is willing to scratch everything they've done in TTK, I probably won't stick around for long. Destiny dropped with some pretty good rolls, but nerf after nerf has made this thing end up looking like the modern day Vex Mythoclast. May it rest in pieces.

Good post. A lot of what made this game fun, is gone. The charm, the fun MP has been replaced with a really nasty community. One where it used to be

Ill help you get l past Atheon to Oryx 317 only with TOM know your hospital or don't bother!!!

Whats cool about that?

Liamc723

Should I spend the day playing Fallout 4 or chasing some arbitrary numbers to drop?

That's the question everyone has to ask themselves right now.

I considered doing a HM Kings Fall run today, and this question sums up my feelings pretty well. I do not want to play Destiny at the moment.

Correct, but it doesn't invalidate the need for more interesting gear that has good synergy with the classes or just more interesting perks. More interesting builds will lead to more interesting PvP. They can keep a normalized mode, turn off raid set perks, w/e they want, but I still think it would be fun if the PvP gameplay had some more strategy to it than the typical FPS strategy. Give people elemental shields if they are wearing all void gear so your team has to have a good variety of weapons. Make it obvious at match start what you are facing so you can prep.

See a guy with full Crota's End gear set, nope don't want to melee him, that's a death sentence. Seeing a Titan with King's Fall set that drops Taken Patches that suppress supers, probably don't want to chase him throwing hammers. Seeing a Hunter with a full Trials set of gear that grants him a larger AoE on his bow, stay away from those control points? Sounds fun to me, maybe the gear isn't optimized for PvP but the added benefit of exploding like a cursed thrall is worth it to that player. Entices people to try new sets of gear.

Oh I wasn't suggesting that it would invalidate the need for more interesting gear. But without PvP balance can afford to be toyed with a bit more loosely. And while some of the ideas that you bring up are interesting.. it begs the question would the playerbase enjoy that as a whole? Even if it was only one playlist that allowed those benefits in PvP.. would people play it in decent numbers given that it takes collecting a whole set to benefit? Or even just one or two key pieces? It's different from Mayhem playlists in that those lists just loosen the reigns on tools that everyone has access to. It's different when you start mixing in gear that does it. Especially PvE gear that does it.

I know in WoW, when people had Legedaries in Arena, it always felt like a BS matchup since their procs would give them an inherent advantage that kind of throws the ratings out the window.

Liamc723

If there was a fatebringer or vision or black hammer the answer would be totally different.

I'd still be picking Fallout 4 over Destiny today, but correct, I'd still want to play Destiny haha.

I can get excited about chasing a cool exotic in a raid. I can't get excited about my light level going up by 1.

LTWood12

Games I've bought in the past year and barely played:

Uncharted Collection
MGS5
Galak-Z
Super Time Force
HellDivers
Bloodborne
The Witcher 3
Far Cry 4
Alien Isolation

Those are just the ones I can think of. There's probably at least double that. Might be time to pop something else in for a change.

Good post. A lot of what made this game fun, is gone. The charm, the fun MP has been replaced with a really nasty community. One where it used to be

Ill help you get l past Atheon to Oryx 317 only with TOM know your hospital or don't bother!!!

Whats cool about that?

The MP Meta is pretty boring, I'll give you that, but I disagree with everyone saying that chasing the OP weapons was a source of joy in Y1. People would complain about not getting Gjall or Hawkmoon or Fatebringer just as much as people now complain about not getting a Higher LL drop.

And Gaf itself is just as helpful with getting people through encounters and now Trials. LFG sites have always had pre-reqs. Instead of 317 and ToM it was 29 and Gjall.

Top Bottom