• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Liamc723

Games I've bought in the past year and barely played:

Uncharted Collection
MGS5
Galak-Z
Super Time Force
HellDivers
Bloodborne
The Witcher 3
Far Cry 4
Alien Isolation

Those are just the ones I can think of. There's probably at least double that. Might be time to pop something else in for a change.

Get on Alien Isolation asap.

Last night's stream is on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjqINAFbpzs

Some highlights

First game is a 0-4 comeback
Dan Miller hops in at 2:35:00
Q&A starts around 3:43:00

We took Josh, Kyoufu and Akademik along with Dan to Mercury.

My voice may sound a bit weird because it was late so I had to put the mic closer to my mouth so I could talk softer.

Thanks again for the carry. I'm gonna have to watch that replay later to see how bad that last round was with the laggers

I'm not like you guys who pick up all the new games. My buying habits for the last 10 years look a little like:

Halo
Destiny
Pokemon
Animal Crossing
Mario Kart
Smash Bros
Lego Star Wars
Occasional platformer with good presentation (Castle Crashers, Ori, Journey)

Been meaning to give Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge and Portal a full playthrough (only played their demos), but they're one and done games, ya know? Hard to justify spending anymore than $10 on a game I wont play for at least 100 hours. An even of that list, it's only the first two I can play for a long time without being bored.

Agent

Uncharted Collection
MGS5
Galak-Z
Super Time Force
HellDivers
Bloodborne
The Witcher 3
Far Cry 4
Alien Isolation

Those are just the ones I can think of. There's probably at least double that. Might be time to pop something else in for a change.

Playing Black Ops 3 the last few days has been great for me. It's been nice to play something new and take a Destiny hiatus. Admittedly, I was getting a bit frustrated with the lack of RNG drops from the raid and experiencing difficulty of getting groups together on GAF for anything so BO3 came at a perfect time. I haven't even finished the HM raid and it doesn't help when you get zero drops to progress to even finish it. I'll definitely be back when there are changes/more content released.

Luckily Destiny saved me much money over the last year as I haven't bought any other game except for GTAV and Driveclub.

todd360

I'm not like you guys who pick up all the new games. My buying habits for the last 10 years look a little like:

Halo
Destiny
Pokemon
Animal Crossing
Mario Kart
Smash Bros
Lego Star Wars
Occasional platformer with good presentation (Castle Crashers, Ori, Journey)

Been meaning to give Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge and Portal a full playthrough (only played their demos), but they're one and done games, ya know? Hard to justify spending anymore than $10 on a game I wont play for at least 100 hours.

Yeah! Let the developers starve!

blackflag

Uncharted Collection
MGS5
Galak-Z
Super Time Force
HellDivers
Bloodborne
The Witcher 3
Far Cry 4
Alien Isolation

Yep this happened to me. Barely touched MGSV, Witcher, Batman, Halo, and more. I did stop Destiny to play through Bloodbourne because Souls games are the GOAT.

Getting Fallout 4 today and maybe I'll break the cycle.

Finally completed my Hesperos armour set (including the mark)! Now I just gotta level it up on my alt Titan.

Having said that, I really dislike the helmet, so will probably keep it, but not level it.

EDIT:

My partner is playing Fallout 4, it arrived today. Still played Destiny first....

I quit for now because there's nothing left to do and even more so because Bungie has gone silent regarding what the hell is going on. They've said weapon parts are going to be able to be purchased and I shouldn't have discarded my etheric light (great!). Other than that....silence.

For me it's basically the fact that I'm out of strange coins (therefore no 3oC therefore no good reason to play when you're over 300) and the weapons are mostly boring with nothing upcoming that we know of.

There's a ton of small things they could do to keep me playing but I guess they refuse so I refuse to keep playing.

It's all good though because they always eventually come to their senses and fix shit and in the meantime Tomb Raider is out with Just Cause 3 coming up.

Also, fuck Trials and the rest of pvp. It also pushes me away from playing =)

Edit: To end on something positive, I will say that overall TTK is a vast improvement in most areas of the game over everything before it. I highly recommend it, It's still my most played game this year and for the second year in a row it's one of my favorite games of the year (how many games get a distinction like that??) and I can't fucking wait for Destiny 2. I just hope they seriously consider separating pvp and pve and inject some more fun into the game without the time gates.

I quit for now because there's nothing left to do and even more so because Bungie has gone silent regarding what the hell is going on. They've said weapon parts are going to be able to be purchased and I shouldn't have discarded my etheric light (great!). Other than that....silence.

For me it's basically the fact that I'm out of strange coins (therefore no 3oC therefore no good reason to play when you're over 300) and the weapons are mostly boring with nothing upcoming that we know of.

Seems like Bungie should announce something soon. Another raid mode is not going to be enough to keep most people engaged for too long. Hopefully the next expansion releases in January at the latest.

MikeyMike

Seems like Bungie should announce something soon. Another raid mode is not going to be enough to keep most people engaged for too long. Hopefully the next expansion releases in January at the latest.

If I understood correctly... it's unlikely that a new expansion will be released until Destiny 2... only updates like revisited versions of past strikes and raids.

Now this is pretty ridiculous.

You're missing the context. He's saying that it's hard for him to justify spending more than $10 on a game that isn't going to keep his interest for a long time when he has games already that do just that.

It's not ridiculous at all as a personal preference.

Now this is pretty ridiculous.

Not really. 100 hours playing daily averages to a month of playtime. Anything I listed that I paid full price for has lasted for much longer than that before I've got bored of it.

A month is a good amount of time for a game, but I don't see myself putting more than a couple weeks into most $60 titles so I don't buy them until they're cheap - that way I can pick up several of them instead.

I'm not knocking on the developers or the prices at all. I just don't want to spend that kind of money on a game unless I'm going to play the shit out of it. Part of the longevity for those games are the communities as well. The games don't always have a community I can plug myself into (e.g. I love Smash but don't like the Smash community), so it's less attractive. Like, Fallout 4 might be something I'd enjoy, but it's not the kind of game I see myself investing in for a long time.

I'm going on a date with my wife. First in 4 months. Parenting with a toddler and a pregnant wife is hard. Going to see The Martian finally.

I'll be back to Destiny on Friday.

good for you! the movie is great. I have yet to meet someone who didn't enjoy it. congrats on the burgeoning family :)

Well; everyone else is posting their opinions of the current state of year 2 of destiny so here it goes. Today I ran two more Hard Mode King's Fall Raids and all (I mean all) of the gear I got was not only a duplicate of what I was literally using when it dropped, but also at a lower light level than what I was using. I got two more Harrowed Machine Guns at 310 light each, the absolute minimum that the hard items could drop. The remainder of the drops were in the same area.

I have ran the raid both normal and hard since both have released and have still not even completed the normal raid armor set (don't care that much about it, just kind of want the stupid shader) I have also not gotten hard mode boots or helmet or ANY hard mode primary weapons.

I think I've reached the point where I'm about ready to turn off Destiny for a good long while outside of one or two raids in the week. There is seriously no other reason for me to play. The nightfalls don't provide an interesting reward that could even hope to raise my light level, the weekly strikes reward me with legendary marks...that I don't need anymore. Hell, I'm even still sitting on close to 600 weapons parts and have been sitting at max glimmer since BEFORE TTK dropped. There are no exotic weapons left for me to chase (ala Gjallarhorn). And theres no real reason to chase the rest of the Raid weapons (no FB, VoC, Fang, Black Hammer, or any interesting weapon that can drop from the raid for me) just little numbers to raise my bigger number :/

I guess what I really want is for Bungie to do SOMETHING to draw me back in, I barely care what it is. Give me a -reason- to play other activities outside of the raid (oh and I suck at PvP lol...Destiny PvP just isn't fun to me). At least with vanilla, TDB and HoW I was able to chase gear down to get to max level...and honestly some of it looked really cool (looking at you Titan VoG helmet) or were just AWESOME weapons (VoC, even without Solar would still be my most used weapon of the ever). And with HoW I was able to run WHATEVER gear setup I wanted to and not be gimped by it in any of the activities. I dunno. Sorry for rambling.

You're missing the context. He's saying that it's hard for him to justify spending more than $10 on a game that isn't going to keep his interest for a long time when he has games already that do just that.

It's not ridiculous at all as a personal preference.

Yea that's it. When Halo 3 came out I didn't play any other games for a very long time. I barely have time to do everything i want to in the games I do buy.

I paid full price for several 3DS games that are now sitting in my backlog because they weren't able to keep my interest. I haven't even finished the circuits for Mario Kart on 3DS because I got bored of it. I see that as a waste of money and I'd feel less bad about it if I didn't pay $35 bucks for it.

Karl2177

Not really. 100 hours playing daily averages to a month of playtime. Anything I listed that I paid full price for has lasted for much longer than that before I've got bored of it.

A month is a good amount of time for a game, but I don't see myself putting more than a couple weeks into most $60 titles so I don't buy them until they're cheap - that way I can pick up several of them instead.

I'm not knocking on the developers or the prices at all. I just don't want to spend that kind of money on a game unless I'm going to play the shit out of it. Part of the longevity for those games are the communities as well. The games don't always have a community I can plug myself into (e.g. I love Smash but don't like the Smash community), so it's less attractive. Like, Fallout 4 might be something I'd enjoy, but it's not the kind of game I see myself investing in for a long time.

All I'm gonna say is that basing it on time spent alone is foolish.

phen0m24

Sine wave up
Sine wave down
Propane and accessories all around

Hate the loot?
You're not alone
Will you buy a game for your shiny Xbone?

Barely played games sit staring at me
Dragon Age Witcher Diablo 3
Can't find the case for Destiny!

I'm an idiot and I forgot how to fight Destiny. My titan is also week and can't take the oryx shade strike like my sunsinger can't, apparently.

;_;

Yea that's it. When Halo 3 came out I didn't play any other games for a very long time. I barely have time to do everything i want to in the games I do buy.

I paid full price for several 3DS games that are now sitting in my backlog because they weren't able to keep my interest. I haven't even finished the circuits for Mario Kart on 3DS because I got bored of it. I see that as a waste of money and I'd feel less bad about it if I didn't pay $35 bucks for it.

Yeah, I've begun to think similarly. I used to be the type of player that could buy all the major releases and then beat them and move on, mixing in my longer interest games like MMO's or whatever. But over time, life changed and I find I have way less time to devote to stuff like that, so unless the game really, really intrigues me or it's something I've already kept an active interest in playing consistently.. I've turned to just passing them up until/unless I can get them for really good prices.

Unrelated General Destiny comment: So after playing a bunch of Crucible yesterday with The Vanity for the first part of the Imprecation quest... I decided to give my Ace of Spades another shot and it feels pretty damn good. Between watching some better players gameplay and playing a lot more Trials the last couple of weeks, I've learned to pick my battles better and it's given certain HC's a lot more viability for me.

I still feel they need a general ACC buff though.

All I'm gonna say is that basing it on time spent alone is foolish.

Well i'm not actually weighing every single game purchase on "am I going to play this for 101 hours", so try not to dwell on that exact line. There's no way I can put 100 hours into Mario Kart - not consecutively - so i'm not walking through the aisles with a metaphorical stopwatch.

I just don't buy "one and done" games full price. There are a lot of games I want to play, but if they aren't something I'll want to replay (based on the things I value in the purchases that I make), I don't pick them up. There are other titles that already compete for the time I spend gaming, which continues to diminish.

Of course, all of this wouldn't matter if I had the disposable income to buy $60 games every week, because I definitely would. I'm investing that money elsewhere though and keeping my gaming related expenditures to titles that I'm confident will return that value one way or another.

Yeah, I've begun to think similarly. I used to be the type of player that could buy all the major releases and then beat them and move on, mixing in my longer interest games like MMO's or whatever. But over time, life changed and I find I have way less time to devote to stuff like that, so unless the game really, really intrigues me or it's something I've already kept an active interest in playing consistently.. I've turned to just passing them up until/unless I can get them for really good prices.

Yea I used to buy and rent games all the time, but now I only have time and money for a few games. And going back to the Halo 3 example, once I saw how much enjoyment I could get out of one game, my habits changed.

Unrelated General Destiny comment: So after playing a bunch of Crucible yesterday with The Vanity for the first part of the Imprecation quest... I decided to give my Ace of Spades another shot and it feels pretty damn good. Between watching some better players gameplay and playing a lot more Trials the last couple of weeks, I've learned to pick my battles better and it's given certain HC's a lot more viability for me.

I still feel they need a general ACC buff though.

Yea Ace of Spades is a solid Hand Cannon (by Year Two standards). Probably the best in the game right now, although Hawkmoon and TLW still have their moments.

Well i'm not actually weighing every single game purchase on "am I going to play this for 101 hours", so try not to dwell on that exact line. There's no way I can put 100 hours into Mario Kart - not consecutively - so i'm not walking through the aisles with a metaphorical stopwatch.

I just don't buy "one and done" games full price. There are a lot of games I want to play, but if they aren't something I'll want to replay (based on the things I value in the purchases that I make), I don't pick them up. There are other titles that already compete for the time I spend gaming, which continues to diminish.

Do you also not buy books or see movies that you don't re-read or re-watch? There are plenty of examples of media I've consumed that I've never revisited and I value my one time with them. Journey comes to mind immediately. I never want to go back to that game because the one and only time I played it was life-changing.

Edit: Also, that question wasn't rhetorical. I'm genuinely curious.

Do you also not buy books or see movies that you don't re-read or re-watch? There are plenty of examples of media I've consumed that I've never revisited and I value my one time with them. Journey comes to mind immediately. I never want to go back to that game because the one and only time I played it was life-changing.

Edit: Also, that question wasn't rhetorical. I'm genuinely curious.

More or less yes. If I watch a film and don't feel like rewatching it at all, i generally feel disappointed by it unless it was really good. Captain Phillips for example is something I probably wouldn't rewatch, but it was a great film that I'll remember for a while.

Games are different though. A movie only lasts a couple hours, whereas you have to play a game for a while to see everything it has to offer. I wouldn't watch a movie nearly as much as I would replay a game (and I have tried), so I don't look at them exactly the same way.

Yep, have always been saying that it's the key to the holyland.

Until, I'm blue in the face, I will continue to say that no one wants to feel "balanced" or "average." Bungie needs to make more things OP and fun for PVE. Get people excited like the shotgun buff with HoW. Shotguns were so much fun. I don't even use exotics because most of them are shit. Black Spindle, Truth and swords are the main squeeze.
Alternately they could just have weapons that are exclusive to PVE or PVP. There's already gear that's class specific, seems like an extension of the same idea.

You could do cooler stuff both ways too, crazy PVE stuff and you could do bonuses for double or triple kills for PVP.

Yes. If I watch a film and don't feel like rewatching it, i generally feel disappointed by it unless it was really good.

Huh, I just can't even imagine having that mindset, but to each their own. At least you have a system for spending your money instead of throwing it at things haphazardly.

Messiek

Hey I come in the name of Ape to request a totem checkpoint.

Much love Ape <3
He carry our group every time, nice guy.
Give us the checkpoint so he can carry us one more time.

Thank you for you time :)

maomaoIYP

The player base has dropped to a point where I couldn't get a green bar in control playing solo over the past few days. I have 200 down 100 up. I have no idea what else I should be playing instead though, I swore off COD after ghosts and I don't like Bethesda's FOs.

X-Frame

How would everyone rate the following helmet perks for PvP for a Titan:

- Innervation: Bonus grenade energy on Orb pickup.
- Invigoration: Bonus grenade energy on Orb pickup.
- Better Already: Shields start recovery immediately after Orb pickup.
- Infusion: Replenish health each time you pick up an Orb of Light.

I'm feeling like Innervation (grenade recharge) may be the best, but they're all quite situational that I don't think they're worth sweating over. Thoughts?

inthrall

How would everyone rate the following helmet perks for PvP for a Titan:

- Innervation: Bonus grenade energy on Orb pickup.
- Invigoration: Bonus grenade energy on Orb pickup.
- Better Already: Shields start recovery immediately after Orb pickup.
- Infusion: Replenish health each time you pick up an Orb of Light.

I'm feeling like Innervation (grenade recharge) may be the best, but they're all quite situational that I don't think they're worth sweating over. Thoughts?

If you run trials, angel of mercy comes in top place.

My preference for the rest is grenade energy, shield recovery, melee energy

Huh, I just can't even imagine having that mindset, but to each their own. At least you have a system for spending your money instead of throwing it at things haphazardly.

Don't really think I should have to justify it because it's not that complicated. The best entertainment to me is always the one that I want to revisit. I see a lot of movies and forget most of them. The ones that stand out are usually the ones I'd have no problem seeing again the next day.

I took a break from Fallout for a 318 ghost. -____-

Now you have a story to tell your grandchildren one day.

"Did I ever tell you about the day I took a break from Fallout 4 to get a 318 ghost?"
"Yes grandpa, you tell that to us every week!"
"It was a nice cold evening...I was playing Fallout 4, it was the first day it was out y'know..."

Top Bottom