• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Do you also not buy books or see movies that you don't re-read or re-watch? There are plenty of examples of media I've consumed that I've never revisited and I value my one time with them. Journey comes to mind immediately. I never want to go back to that game because the one and only time I played it was life-changing.

Edit: Also, that question wasn't rhetorical. I'm genuinely curious.

Movies don't get a Home purchase (Blu-Ray/DvD) unless I'm going to watch it more than once. Otherwise, I rent. I only make it out to the theater maybe once or twice a year unless it's a movie that I'm confident I'll enjoy.

Books, I'll borrow from the Library to try out a new Author (this is specifically because I've bought books before on good word of mouth and didn't end up even finishing them because I didn't like them). Otherwise, I'll stick with Authors who I tend to enjoy.

It's not that doing things like this is better than another, and certainly there will be great experiences that will be missed but for some of us, it's preferable than the feeling of having wasted money on something we didn't enjoy.

Carbonox

Got fuck all on Glyphs and Warpriest. No point moaning about it at this point.

I did however get my Touch of Malice today. Fun little thing, that.

GhaleonEB

But you have the option of builds. There is no build in Destiny. It's max intellect, chose a movement style that suits you, and then slap a Pulse Rifle (or Hung Jury) and your choice of Shotgun/Sniper and you're done with your build. There is no interaction between equipment and perks. In Diablo III I may be chasing end game gear but I can chase multiple kinds. I got a Three Thousand Year Spear with my Sword and Board Barbarian that was better than anything he had so I completely rebuilt my character around the glass cannon archetype (changing all my attacks and perks to ranged fighting) to make him stronger to complete higher level content I couldn't do before. I didn't have to keep searching for a higher power sword, it could have been a higher powered anything. That is where the interaction between class perks and weapons is so important, it removes a meta of a weapon. Spear, sword, axe, hammer, whatever, doesn't matter give it a perk that boosts my class perks and I can create an entire new build out of it..

This is something Destiny could do better, but I do think it's there. I have two main builds for my Hunter: the Shadowshot uses the exotic gauntlets that grant a second melee, so I can use invis smoke more often, with gear set to max discipline and thus more invisibility. That's very much a build that I planned out and spent a few weeks getting gear to optimize. The other is for my Bladedancer, with optimal intelligence, higher agility, invis on blink strike and Don't Touch Me gauntlets.

I totally agree with the idea of gear interacting with perks, though. I want gear that lets me lean into a class in a way that the current gear does not (i.e. boots that extend a Bladedancer's invisiblity). I thought TTK was going to go in that direction, and it didn't.

After Destiny came out, Bungie did a BWU with thoughts from the different design leads on ways the game needs to improve, which they focused on over the following year. I'd really like to see what their thoughts are currently, about economy, endgame, gear optimization, endgame rewards, etc.

Movies don't get a Home purchase (Blu-Ray/DvD) unless I'm going to watch it more than once. Otherwise, I rent. I only make it out to the theater maybe once or twice a year unless it's a movie that I'm confident I'll enjoy.

Books, I'll borrow from the Library to try out a new Author (this is specifically because I've bought books before on good word of mouth and didn't end up even finishing them because I didn't like them). Otherwise, I'll stick with Authors who I tend to enjoy.

It's not that doing things like this is better than another, and certainly there will be great experiences that will be missed but for some of us, it's preferable than the feeling of having wasted money on something we didn't enjoy.

last_airbender_movie_poster_international_01.jpg

RIP anyone who saw this POS in the theater.

This is something Destiny could do better, but I do think it's there. I have two main builds for my Hunter: the Shadowshot uses the exotic gauntlets that grant a second melee, so I can use invis smoke more often, with gear set to max discipline and thus more invisibility. That's very much a build that I planned out and spent a few weeks getting gear to optimize. The other is for my Bladedancer, with optimal intelligence, higher agility, invis on blink strike and Don't Touch Me gauntlets.

I totally agree with the idea of gear interacting with perks, though. I want gear that lets me lean into a class in a way that the current gear does not (i.e. boots that extend a Bladedancer's invisiblity). I thought TTK was going to go in that direction, and it didn't.

Imagine if there was an exotic that made your bladedancer super erupt in a fan of knives around you whenever you swung forward with your attack.

The possibilities are endless. I dunno how good their engine is at doing things like that, but man....how awesome it would be.

Afrocious

Tales of the Borderlands was a refreshing change of pace for me after pretty much only playing Destiny for a while.

More people should play it. I plan on giving out season passes for Christmas.

I was really hoping the burn on the armor would make the gear chase in the game more interesting.

It didn't. Artifacts especially are basically useless. That one time I generate an additional orb or take 10% less damage from a Hob Goblin sniper barely make a difference.

One last thing to add to that discussion:

A very recent regret I have is purchasing Halo Spartan Assault. It was originally a mobile game before it was ported over to consoles and I was really excited to give it a spin. Its soundtrack is one of my favorites in the series and I enjoyed the different take on Halo gameplay. But once you beat the main story missions after a few hours, you hit a wall where the only way you're going to get much replay value out of the game is to purchase one-time use microtransactions (e.g. pay to get a Rocket Launcher for one mission, and there were a dozen or so of them). So you either do that or play the cooperative mode, which didn't have a very big playerbase and would drop you out of the game if your partner quit (and they often did).

So even though I enjoyed my brief time with the game, the $15 I spent on it was still feels like a complete waste of money to me. If the power weapons were avaliable through grinding as opposed to microtransactions and the coop mode was more fleshed out, I could have easily put 50+ hours into that game because I enjoyed the mechanics. I want to play it again to squeeze more out of it, but i'd have to pay the same amount to play it on the Xbox One and I don't think it's worth the investment.

Don't really think I should have to justify it because it's not that complicated. The best entertainment to me is always the one that I want to revisit. I see a lot of movies and forget most of them. The ones that stand out are usually the ones I'd have no problem seeing again the next day.

I wasn't saying you had to justify it, I was interested in what your mindset was when it comes to deciding what entertainment to purchase because it's completely different (not saying worse or better) than mine.

I wasn't saying you had to justify it, I was interested in what your mindset was when it comes to deciding what entertainment to purchase because it's completely different (not saying worse or better) than mine.

That's fair. Just wanted to make it clear that when it came to games, I valued replayability over anything else. It's way less so for other things, but it's still important to me.

That's fair. Just wanted to make it clear that when it came to games, I valued replayability over anything else. It's way less so for other things, but it's still important to me.

Some of my favorite games are the ones I go back to year after year, like FFVII, Persona 4, Ocarina of Time. So I guess I can sort of see it.

In an ideal world, I would put Destiny down and work on something else in my spare time, like writing a story, or programming a game.

born too late to explore the world
born too early to explore space
born just in time to loot dank destiny

Except we can't even fucking do that BECAUSE BOSSES KEEP DROPPING THE SAME SHIT AT THE SAME LIGHT LEVEL

Sine wave up
Sine wave down
Propane and accessories all around

Hate the loot?
You're not alone
Will you buy a game for your shiny Xbone?

Barely played games sit staring at me
Dragon Age Witcher Diablo 3
Can't find the case for Destiny!

duh. cuz u bought digital. :p

hehe. got fallout 4 a couple hours ago, installed it and that's all she wrote for now. did you get it?

AngerdX

Well watching the Red wings game atm, but would love if there where some that would dare take a 303 scrub into HM KF, think up to oryx should be fine i hope, and with some luck on drops it could be ok at oryx too. :)

Ah, this is where the Destiny community resides. Cross-posting from the "other" OT:

Is there only one daily story mission at a time? The Destiny website seems to indicate as much, in its "advisors" section. So if this is the case, what's the difference between dailies and the events players can encounter in the field that let them earn a "gold ranking" if they perform well?

Ah, this is where the Destiny community resides. Cross-posting from the "other" OT:

Is there only one daily story mission at a time? The Destiny website seems to indicate as much, in its "advisors" section. So if this is the case, what's the difference between dailies and the events players can encounter in the field that let them earn a "gold ranking" if they perform well?

Hey Authentic!

Yeah, so the thing about Daily missions is they give legendary marks. The public events give out motes, and needed for some missions. They also happen multiple times in an hour.

GhaleonEB

Public events: motes, XP and glimmer

Daily story mission (one per day): legendary marks and XP

Hey Authentic!

Yeah, so the thing about Daily missions is they give legendary marks. The public events give out motes, and needed for some missions. They also happen multiple times in an hour.

Ah, so dailies and public events are two different things? I'm on the PStrophies website and they seem to point to the contrary. Could you help me interpret this paragraph of theirs:

Before you dive into the meat of the game you should make one character for each class. You should then resist the urge to power through on one and instead do the first two story missions on Earth—Restoration and The Dark Within, while completing the Gold Tier Public Event Daily for each character along the way (see Public Defender for help with this task). Upon completing the daily event you should go to the Tower, check the Postmaster who will have a gift for you, and redeem the item. Then deposit the contents in the Vault to the right. Before switching to another character pick up the dailies as well from Xander in the .

What is "the Gold Tier Public Event Daily"? The use of the definite article the leads me to believe that there is only one?

Thanks!

edit:

Public events: motes, XP and glimmer

Daily story mission (one per day): legendary marks and XP

I see. Thank you!

Top Bottom