• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Hey guys, can I get an expert's opinion on the black spindle vs. 1000 yard stare debate I'm having? Been using and digging the latter for a while now while I just picked up the spindle yesterday.

Yeah I ran that solo earlier as well, had just under 2 and a half minutes left on the clock when I finished it with a stupid physics based death in the middle.

Thanks for those PvP games earlier, was good practice. Hope we get a decent trials map but knowing our luck we'll get the drifter.

Yeah, GGs dude. The steam roll was real. For Trials maps, I honestly don't know what they could offer that I'd be excited to play. I expect them to go back to a TTK map which means chances for suckitude are high. Bannerfall, Vertigo and Sector are out, which leaves:

Drifter: eww
Frontier: ewww
Memento: ewwww

Cathedral: campapalooza but also big enough to maybe be interesting. Lots of options.
Dungeons: not sure how this would play, could be decent. Big but not too big with multiple approaches.

Hey guys, can I get an expert's opinion on the black spindle vs. 1000 yard stare debate I'm having? Been using and digging the latter for a while now while I just picked up the spindle yesterday.

While I'm not really an expert, the verdict is that 1000 Yard Stare is better for PVP and for most of the PVE (the latter depends upon the perks you have).

I love the Black Spindle, but I use my Eirene for most of my PVE except for Golgoroth and Warpriest. I think people have conducted tests and nothing beats the Spindle on Golgoroth and Warpriest, as far as DPS is concerned. Also, a lot of people love to use the Spindle on stationary bosses like Valus Ta'aurc and the Goliath Tanks, coz of the huge sustained DPS that the "White Nail" perk enables.

Sky Walker

Sweet. That's two. Need four more.
Anyone want to join a Friday evening HM KF raid?

PSN the_id
1. The_id
2. Xchildofhatex
3. Clutch_WaYzz
4. skywalker_3li

I only need to kill oryx but I don't mind helping you from the start.

I can use either hunter or titan, whatever you prefer guys.

AngerdX

Got a couple of hours before work, thought i´d see if there is any that are doing a HM oryx kill, but it looks semi dead. :)

Sweet. That's two. Need four more.
Anyone want to join a Friday evening HM KF raid?

PSN the_id
1. The_id
2. Xchildofhatex

Psn AengerdX i guess i can go from start, might use the alt for early parts.

Which 1000 yard stare? The quest reward w Shortgaze and firefly? It's a great PvP sniper as well as for PvE. Spindle is bad in PvP but best-in-slot for several PvE encounters, mainly first two raid bosses. But then Spindle is useless for Daughters-Oryx since you need to keep the exotic slot open for Touch of Malice.

If you play PvP go with 1k YS. It's my go-to Trials sniper and end of raid sniper. If you have another good legendary sniper like Eirene for the raid then go with Spindle, especially if you play mainly PvE, strike playlists, etc.

So there is exotic RL that hasn't been acquired yet? Will it be gallylike? Also two different Thunderlord types solar and void?

Based on everything we've seen of exotics since vanilla, no way in hell it'll be Gally-like. They admitted the Horn's OPness was a mistake (designers were told to make it feel more powerful but instead they made it actually be way more powerful). They aren't going back to that anytime soon if ever.

ONE CYCLE BOYZ!

Warpriest one cycle, brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Spindlemen.

maomaoIYP

Yeah, GGs dude. The steam roll was real. For Trials maps, I honestly don't know what they could offer that I'd be excited to play. I expect them to go back to a TTK map which means chances for suckitude are high. Bannerfall, Vertigo and Sector are out, which leaves:

Drifter: eww
Frontier: ewww
Memento: ewwww

Cathedral: campapalooza but also big enough to maybe be interesting. Lots of options.
Dungeons: not sure how this would play, could be decent. Big but not too big with multiple approaches.

You don't like Frontier? =(
Snipe fest yeah, but it's not that bad.
Sector is horrible for elimination, or anything in general.
I don't actually mind Memento.

Which 1000 yard stare? The quest reward w Shortgaze and firefly? It's a great PvP sniper as well as for PvE. Spindle is bad in PvP but best-in-slot for several PvE encounters, mainly first two raid bosses. But then Spindle is useless for Daughters-Oryx since you need to keep the exotic slot open for Touch of Malice.

If you play PvP go with 1k YS. It's my go-to Trials sniper and end of raid sniper. If you have another good legendary sniper like Eirene for the raid then go with Spindle, especially if you play mainly PvE, strike playlists, etc.

While I'm not really an expert, the verdict is that 1000 Yard Stare is better for PVP and for most of the PVE (the latter depends upon the perks you have).

I love the Black Spindle, but I use my Eirene for most of my PVE except for Golgoroth and Warpriest. I think people have conducted tests and nothing beats the Spindle on Golgoroth and Warpriest, as far as DPS is concerned. Also, a lot of people love to use the Spindle on stationary bosses like Valus Ta'aurc and the Goliath Tanks, coz of the huge sustained DPS that the "White Nail" perk enables.

Thanks guys! Yeah, my 1000 yard stare has the expolding enemies perk. I pretty much only play PvE and haven't had a chance to try any of the raids yet (not many people to play with).

Guess I'll stick to my 1000 yard stare since it is higher in light anyway.

GlamFM

Banned
Just checked out the Gear manager for the first time.

Being able to transfer active gear to an alt without the vault is super convenient.

Love it.

SIDE-NOTE: New Missy Elliott track is reeeeeeally good.

Whats going on destinygaf?

EDIT: 40 minutes without a post, evidently not much

Not much, currently grading lab reports (96 due in two weeks time :()

Xûr stock:
Titan: Crest of Alpha Lupi
Hunter: Young Ahamkara's Spine
Warlock: Obsidian Mind
Gauntlet exotic engram
Chest legacy engram

GlamFM

Banned
I wonder why there's no raid sparrow in KF

Because there is one in challenge mode.

I_want_to_believe5.jpg

Number45

Xur has nothing? Awesome, just coins for me! ^_^

Which 1000 yard stare? The quest reward w Shortgaze and firefly? It's a great PvP sniper as well as for PvE.
Which quest gives this? Worried I've maybe already dismantled (as I did with the Conspiracy Theory-D). D:

Jinjo

Xur is in the hangar passageway

Alpha lupi titan
Young Ahamkara hunter
Obsidian mind warlock
Exotic gauntlet engram
Legacy body armor engram

It's nothing folks!

I want the Obsidian Mind, but that 280 defense value and the fact that only one single raid helmet dropped for me ever (the normal version too) is stopping me.

oh look, he has NOTHING.

yeah that isn't really effective in getting us away from Fallout and other games this weekend to peek into the Tower :D

i'm just staring at the countdown clock on my PS4 waiting for the preloaded Battlefront to unlock come tuesday...

Which quest gives this? Worried I've maybe already dismantled (as I did with the Conspiracy Theory-D). D:

Ummm iirc it was from the Taken War Earth quest line. It's been awhile since I did it so somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: it's one of the best overall snipers in the game, for PvE and PvP combined.

Whats going on destinygaf?

EDIT: 40 minutes without a post, evidently not much

Sorry we missed you earlier. We had actually ended the Crucible train just a little bit before you messaged back. I'll be around all weekend for Trials etc.

Xur has nothing? Awesome, just coins for me! ^_^

This begs the question. What is "something". Year 2 Exotics are overall a huge snoozer. There isn't any particular Exotic I am excited to acquire or play with. In fact, the only use I have for them now is hope they drop as 310 so I can infuse Legendary gear.

inthrall

Sorry we missed you earlier. We had actually ended the Crucible train just a little bit before you messaged back. I'll be around all weekend for Trials etc.

Sweet as, I'm at the end of day 1 of a long weekend, so enjoying not doing much at all right now, so should be down for some trials tomorrow :D

Number45

This begs the question. What is "something". Year 2 Exotics are overall a huge snoozer. There isn't any particular Exotic I am excited to acquire or play with. In fact, the only use I have for them now is hope they drop as 310 so I can infuse Legendary gear.
Honestly, I don't think I'd buy anything now that I'd have to infuse up and up - if I get it at 310 then fine otherwise it'll probably be sharded either way.

Cool weapons I'd be willing to part with coins for, but it'll just be like the Zhalo and it'll drop at 310 the day after I buy it from Xur. :p

At this point once I have adequate 3oC I might just blow it on the legacy to fill out the gaping holes in my Y1 line-up (which is basically all of them).

EDIT: While on the subject of filling up my inventory of exotics - if I get a warlock/hunter exotic on my titan and shard it... will it automatically appear in the kiosk for my hunter/warlock even if they've not had the item?

GlamFM

Banned

Exotics are not game breaking anymore, but there are still amazing ones.

-Zhalo
-Telesto
-Spindle
-Malice

The problem with year 2 exotics is down to the infusion system and the way gear level works.

For example, I'd love to use my Telesto more often. However to be optimal I need to infuse all my gear into my sniper rifles to get that at a high level. If I then go back and use Telesto, my light level drops and I'm then at a disadvantage.

The year 2 exotics are all fun to use in their own ways (I wish HoW Exotics were carried over too)

To be able to use the less optimal exotics, it takes months of grinding for them to become viable.

Court of oryx is such bullshit for new players.

Tried to help a friend who's new, I ran more than 20 tier one runes and about a dozen tier two runes, but all he got was 3 blue engrams and zero runes.

GutZ31

Exotics are not game breaking anymore, but there are still amazing ones.

-Zhalo
-Telesto
-Spindle
-Malice

I would argue that spindle is cheapened by the fact that its a downgrade of the pre-nerf Black Hammer, and that the current Black Hammer is the exact same gun, only legendary.
The fact that they made it take up an exotic slot just so we could keep a pretty awesome gun is a little salt inducing for me personally.

Malice is something that seems made only to help people increase the likelihood of completing the Kings Fall raid, and not really use it anywhere else.
You can use overshields to negate the health steal of ToM, but overall, there just isn't a good enough reason to use it for anything else but the raid as far as I am concerned.

Telesto is fantastic in that it is something simple, yet very different than what we see in the game.

Zhalo is great, but salt comes back, as its one of those weapons that reminds me that I had a perfectly good elemental legendary weapon that I could have been using, but bungle decided that those are going away.
Zhalo by itself is a great gun, and extremely useful for trash mob cleanup.
Fatebringer was my trash mob cleaner, and felt 100% more powerful than the Zhalo.

Maybe that's way they stepped away from raid weapons with awesome perks/elements, but I would argue that they needed to get even more creative.
Put a restriction on weapons that have crazy perks or skills, or have perks only activate when "killing minions of the darkness" or specify Guardians, or in Crucible so that more imagination for perks can be realized.

Why can't I have overshield activate if 3 or more enemies are killed in quick succession?
Why can't I gain the ability to heal my team mates by shooting them after killing 3 enemies, gaining a buff that lasts 7 seconds?
Why not Blade Dancers Razor's Edge coming from the front of my gun randomly by "chance"?
Why not have rockets that leave trails of fire behind them like the new grenades?

So many things that could be, or could have been.
We are given some fairly relaxed stuff when you think back to what once was.

The crucible matchmaking is beyond broken, logged on to put in my gunsmith order and thought id do the daily as I'm short on marks, landed into an ongoing match with this score

CTsAlNkWcAALS7j.png:medium

:D

Tried a mayhem match for marks after and landed into a match about a minute from the end so no chance of marks, tried again same deal then tried a control match and yep you guessed it straight into a losing match. Logged off

This Xur stuff really should be 310. Not sure why they did this stupid 280/290/310 tiering. Exotics used to be that one thing you could feel good about locking in until the rest of your gear caught up.

Top Bottom