• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Okay, so I'm finally 308LL, when will I be considerable to be able to join a HM raid group here?

You should be more than ready for everything but maybe Oryx. Oryx can be tough at 308, but doable if you're in a team that's higher level and can do the no knight kill strategy.

can't believe that the IB hand cannon is the same model as timur's lash despite being a completely different archetype.

hopefully the vendor version has a stupid ass top tier roll like the pulse rifle.

LTWood12

wait, iron banana today?

fuck

Saladin is selling this:
56f7c52e173b54c208bb119fdb8f5a6e.jpg

http://db.planetdestiny.com/items/view/2897238917

Compare the stats to this:
af64540ecb830be33f647cafc1c35500.jpg

http://db.planetdestiny.com/items/view/3892023023

Literally the same, but better. Hopefully it gets sold w/ a good roll. The December patch could make this thing godly. I'll be playing all week either way in hopes of a God-roll.

GlamFM

Banned
can't believe that the IB hand cannon is the same model as timur's lash despite being a completely different archetype.

hopefully the vendor version has a stupid ass top tier roll like the pulse rifle.

Maybe the image is wrong? It´s not the right color. isn´t this IBs gear supposed to be green?

Had a hearty lol when I went on Twitter and saw people blasting Bungie for reskinning the weapons.

It's not like the old Iron Banner weapons are still out there (except Felwinters), but for recycling the model they could have at least given them a different paint job.

Bungie's been really bad about keeping Iron Banner fresh. It took them forever to change the bounties, and this is the first time we're seeing a different gametype other than Control since the freaking Beta last summer.

For new page: Anyone have HM Totems CP?

Jigga saved it already for next week if he's still online. He loves sharing CPs. I lost it already unfortunately.

After never getting a helmet on any of my characters I got both (hard & normal) in one run today. Good stuff.

This happened to me on two characters a couple weeks ago. Never had a single helmet then got 5 in one week, including all three HM helmets which dropped at 318, 319 and 320. Easily my best luck in HM KF and still the only 320 item I've gotten anywhere despite 3 HM clears and 3 Mercury trips every week.

neoism

IB cannon and LMG .....:( wont bother much then dont really care for those type of weapons... really want a year 2 silmars wrath ...

have they released the patch notes yet??

Daemul

I actually have some interest in loading up Destiny and playing IB this week, the long awaited change from Control to Clash is something that I've wanted for over a year now, but with the meta the way it is at the moment I don't know if it's worth it. I'll probably wait and see what changes in the balancing patch next month before deciding whether to jump back into PvP.

Jinjo

Sorry to disappoint.....that was my gunslinger actually.

Nice. Bonus respect points. :p

Gunslinger still is my absolute fave class when it comes to PvP. Nighthawk finally made them viable for PvE too. Then Nightstalker hit which finally launched my Hunter as my real new main instead of my Titan.

Saladin is selling this:
56f7c52e173b54c208bb119fdb8f5a6e.jpg

http://db.planetdestiny.com/items/view/2897238917

Compare the stats to this:
af64540ecb830be33f647cafc1c35500.jpg

http://db.planetdestiny.com/items/view/3892023023

Literally the same, but better. Hopefully it gets sold w/ a good roll. The December patch could make this thing godly. I'll be playing all week either way in hopes of a God-roll.

It can't roll with firefly it seems. :( Will be farming for a good roll on this though.

E92 M3

Jigga saved it already for next week if he's still online. He loves sharing CPs. I lost it already unfortunately.

This happened to me on two characters a couple weeks ago. Never had a single helmet then got 5 in one week, including all three HM helmets which dropped at 318, 319 and 320. Easily my best luck in HM KF and still the only 320 item I've gotten anywhere despite 3 HM clears and 3 Mercury trips every week.

Damn, that's lucky. Haven't received a single item at 320.

Jinjo

Hoping Saladin sells it w/ Outlaw or Rangefinder, Hammer Forged, and either Third Eye, Reactive Reload, or Life Support.

Feeding Frenzy/Outlaw and Reactive Reload seems like great perkcombo.

A Spray & Play + Feather Mag + LitC build might be fun too.

I gave up on light levels. You can't be 320 right now and once you get to 311 it doesn't really matter anyways. There's barely a difference. I just want that shader. I want it so bad.
I'm probably not even going to use it. But I want it.

Edit: top of page whatever

iXWpKf6.jpg

Did you know that as long as you have all harrowed armor parts in one character it doesn't matter what class they are?

Like warlock helm, titan chest, hunter arms, titan feet. You can go to the store and buy the Shader right away as it doesn't see each specific hard raid drops as unique but as one whole set.

Jinjo

Did you know that as long as you have all harrowed armor parts in one character it doesn't matter what class they are?

Like warlock helm, titan chest, hunter arms, titan feet. You can go to the store and buy the Shader right away as it doesn't see each specific hard raid drops as unique but as one whole set.

You say that like getting a HM helmet is easy. :(

Yup. That's how I got the normal raid shader. I could never get a full set for one character until recently.
I just need any harrowed helmet, but doing 3 hm Oryx kills is a real bitch.

maomaoIYP

Nice. Bonus respect points. :p

Gunslinger still is my absolute fave class when it comes to PvP. Nighthawk finally made them viable for PvE too. Then Nightstalker hit which finally launched my Hunter as my real new main instead of my Titan.

I play Nightstalker for PvE, but I still prefer the surgical precision of the gunslinger or the brutal efficiency of the bladedancer in PvP. Anyway the match was on Sector 618, most of my kills actually came from supers, rockets, and grenades. I think I had a grand total of 4 kills with my primary. HAHAHAHA

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hmm PSN mr_pinkfloyd signed up last night for my newbie raid form, but I hadn't opened it yet for the KF raid Thurdsy so I'm not sure if he meant to be signing up for that or not. I'm thinking he must be a lurker...

I'm going to open the form shortly and I will reserve spots for those of you that already PMed me. mr_pinkfloyd if you are reading this and you wanted to be in for Thurs night's raid, you'll have to sign up again. Sorry!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ooooh, that HC! Looks like I might care about IB

keep eyes peeled for some stress-free Igon Bonzai groups with me this week guardians

Had harrowed 310 boots and I got harrowed 311 boots to replace them. Forced to suffer through scrubs dying and forcing wipes all the time over and over if I want to play because my regular group doesn't play Destiny anymore. I think it might be time to find another game like the rest of my group and stop doing reset activities.

We had (most) of our regular group today and still managed to spend literally twice as long as it should take for 3 HM clears, so....

King's Fall is by far the least replayable raid and also the overall most punishing raid for small mistakes and deaths. Combine that with the well documented loot table failure and I can't blame anyone for taking a break. Especially since there's no upcoming content or expansion to prepare for, excluding Challenge mode that still hasn't been formally announced yet.

I still don't have a single 320 armor drop; only one hm primary (312) across 3 chars after 5 weeks; both hunter and titan still missing 2 pieces of hm armor.

This loot system makes my head hurt.

From all clears, I've gotten a 310, a 311 and a 313 primary from HM KF. I got a 316, a 317, and a 319 primary from Mercury this week.

Luke mentioned on the Planet Destiny podcast that he told the team to make the KF loot table "more like the Crota table" shortly before TTK launched. I don't know what it was before that change or how they changed it but that clearly wasn't enough. No idea how TTK shipped with this nonsense or why they haven't said a single word about it in 2+ months. Just another brick in the wall for "working as intended" sarcasm.

E92 M3

^ That's a nice mug! Where did you get it?

We had (most) of our regular group today and still managed to spend literally twice as long as it should take for 3 HM clears, so....

King's Fall is by far the least replayable raid and also the overall most punishing raid for small mistakes and deaths. Combine that with the well documented loot table failure and I can't blame anyone for taking a break. Especially since there's no upcoming content or expansion to prepare for, excluding Challenge mode that still hasn't been formally announced yet.

From all clears, I've gotten a 310, a 311 and a 313 primary from HM KF. I got a 316, a 317, and a 319 primary from Mercury this week.

Luke mentioned on the Planet Destiny podcast that he told the team to make the KF loot table "more like the Crota table" shortly before TTK launched. I don't know what it was before that change or how they changed it but that clearly wasn't enough. No idea how TTK shipped with this nonsense or why they haven't said a single word about it in 2+ months. Just another brick in the wall for "working as intended" sarcasm.

No where near close to being as generous as Crota. Someone must have decided that generous loot drops have people leave the game. LOL.

Now people just leave angry.

It just dawned on me how mindbogglingly frustrating the updates to this game have been. If Destiny was a human body, it would have died from disease a hundred times over because of how long Bungie lets problems fester and metastasize.

Let's take Auto Rifles for example. They were undeniably overstepping the other weapons when the game launched (as if the alpha and the beta didn't foreshadow that), but Bungie didn't do anything about it until several Iron Banners had passed. Every other weapon class in the game was weak compared to Autos (which wasn't the fault of the entire weapon class), and Bungie decided to knock all of them down several notches because one of them, the Suros Regime, was "too good." They cited the dominance of Suros during the first few Iron Banners as one of the reasons they made the change.

But here's the thing - Iron Banner had a bounty for Auto Rifle kills that was only changed recently. So guess what weapon people are going to use to do the bounty? S U R O S R E G I M E

Imagine for a moment that The Last Word was a Year 2 weapon. This would be like Bungie nerfing it because everyone is running around with it for the Chaperone quest.

They may not know how good these weapons are when they design them; it's impossible to know with 100% certainty how the game's balance works until trends are established after exposing it to a large sample size. That's what "meta" means. Those trends are used to make reactionary changes, whereas changes made before the sandbox ships during internal testing are proactive changes.

The problem I have with Bungie's reactive changes is that they're too late, too heavy handed, and often permanent. These weapons being overpowered isn't really a problem so much as the way they're nerfed. The Vex Mythoclast was ridiculously stupid, but it's been to hell and back and back again ever since its first knee jerk nerf. Hand Cannons as a whole are the most obvious example right now: was there anything wrong with their hipfire and airborne accuracy? Nope. Was there anything wrong with any of the Legendary Hand Cannons? Aside from range perks on some of them like The Devil You Know and Lord High Fixer, not really. But now the class as a whole is gimped because 3 of them were over performing, and were left to overperform for 9 freaking months. There are people who like the new meta for the simple fact that "there are no Hand Cannons", and that's messed up.

But I don't think these people understand where the problem originated. Bungie nerfed Hand Cannon accuracy around the same time they buffed Pulse Rifles because Thorn was everywhere in Iron Banner right after it was buffed (surprise!). (I don't want to dig up patch notes right now, but I think it was circa House of Wolves.) Once people figured out how good Thorn's range was, it was abused (and frankly, anyone who used it in PvP before December knew it was already good). This was a bigger problem because unlike The Last Word or Hawkmoon, Thorn was relatively easy to acquire, therefore anyone could get one. (Xur also sold The Last Word a whole bunch of times, so people quickly caught onto that too. Hawkmoon would have been no different.)

Bungie, what were you thinking? Why was Thorn - a DOT weapon - allowed to have that kind of range? Why did you nerf every Hand Cannon to try to fix Thorn?

This misguided change made virtually every Legendary Hand Cannons ineffective and further pushed players towards the Holy Trinity because the alternatives sucked. It wasn't like now where any Pulse Rifle is viable; if you weren't using an Exotic Hand Cannon back then, you just weren't using a Hand Cannon, and that's because the whole class was nerfed to fix one weapon again.

This change can also be observed with Shotguns. Bungie has thrown everything at the Shotguns - neutering them left and right and even throwing out an entire piece of the economy - because they have been overpowering. Shotguns naturally rose to the top because the single best counter to shotguns, Fusion Rifles, were effectively removed from the game's meta once they were nerfed. What happens when you remove an animal's natural predator? Their population explodes. But the problem has never been Shotguns as a whole because they've been as good as they've always been since the Alpha... until Saladin sold the Felwinter's Lie. There is no reason for a high impact Shotgun to exist in the game. It breaks the PvP even without perks, and it is undesirable in PvE compared to the ones with a faster RoF for more DPS. Felwinter's Lie sat right alongside Thorn during Iron Banner and did so for months, so why did they add more of them in House of Wolves when the first one was already proving to be a problem?

Bungie are like mad scientists wearing a blind fold poking at a lab specimen to see if they can strike an artery. And then when they do and it starts to bleed, they spend months discussing whether it was a major artery or a minor artery while blotting it down with a tissue instead of repairing it. Before 2.0 hit, they said they wanted to push balance patches to address the sandbox as soon as the problems arose. So why didn't they? 3 months is understandable, but 9 months is a record for slow sandbox balance even for Bungie.

Everyone knows that updating the game isn't as easy as changing values in the engine and pushing a patch. Nevertheless, their wait-and-see, round-a-bout response to a lot of the game's issues makes it difficult to become invested in the game. In the back of my mind, I know that they'll come so close to their potential before missing the mark, and it's very rare that they will completely reverse a change they made, so we end up being stuck with a lot of their bad decisions.

^ dat coffee mug Kreygasm

Yeah, I consistently run relic on Oryx, I'd just need to read about the No Knights strategy to see where to be after stealing the shield.

If you're a good runner it's better to do Kill Knight strat with a low light runner so no worries. Sounds like you're good to go.

Deku Tree

Yeah I actually like doing HM KF each week a lot, it may be my favorite Destiny raid (not sure if it's KF or VoG) but because of the way loot works it is basically pointless to run NM and HM is really really punishing.

If you have one or two inexperienced players dying a lot then they can force wipes over and over and over again for hours. I'm all for being welcoming to new players and sherpa'ing etc but it becomes "no fun" pretty quickly when you start wiping for too long, and then when you get no drop after you got it done anyway.

I have to wonder what this means... it partially sounds like a "tell the fans what they want to hear" PR statement just like when they talked about "smart loot" before TTK launched.

For instance it could be that the drop rates for armor from Golgi are just as high as in the CE raid but just getting an armor piece is not such a big deal because then you have a 1-10 chance of getting a good or a bad armor piece. After running HM KF 3x a week since launch getting a 310 piece or a 311 piece is just garbage.

Anyway the LS statement is too vague to be meaningful.

Didn't run nightfalls, was afraid of today's patch doing something to NF rewards, etc.

Good point, though I doubt they will do anything to nf rewards.

Challenge mode can't drop soon enough, I'm betting on first week of December. Will you be doing IB this week?

One more reset then I'll be back on my Australian lag :)

Why does only orxy have so many issues with lag and host. Rest of the raid doesn't seem to suffer from these issues :/

phen0m24

I'm sitting here listening to Diamond Radio at work. I might buy Fallout just for the music.

Grandma plays the numbers holy cow lol

Grim nice cup bro
"I'd like tea with 2 Wolfpack rounds please"

TG I wonder if Luke comes out of hiding to reply to that one. ;)

E92 M3

I'm sitting here listening to Diamond Radio at work. I might buy Fallout just for the music.

Grandma plays the numbers holy cow lol

Grim nice cup bro
"I'd like tea with 2 Wolfpack rounds please"

TG I wonder if Luke comes out of hiding to reply to that one. ;)

I love the music in Fallout. 50's and 60's are some of my favorite historical points in American history. I like the 20's as well.

LTWood12

If you have one or two inexperienced players dying a lot then they can force wipes over and over and over again for hours. I'm all for being welcoming to new players and sherpa'ing etc but it becomes "no fun" pretty quickly when you start wiping for too long, and then when you get no drop after you got it done anyway.

So much this. One bad seed can bring the whole ship down, unlike anything else in the game. Not even the oversoul was so punitive.

phen0m24

I love the music in Fallout. 50's and 60's are some of my favorite historical points in American history. I like the 20's as well.

It's the first time I went to a coworker and said you have to listen to this video game radio station.... She thought "The music was probably written for the game" until I said "Released in 1949?"

"Oh, ok"

Top Bottom