• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Sky Walker

Finished Oryx HM with my titan. Got bad loot during the whole run but in the end I got a 318 helmet. Got the shader and my titan now can reach 317 light level.

nicolas_cage_breeze.0.gif

Afrocious

So for 5 eastern today, unless I missed messages (been busy at work), for KF HM we got

-Myself
-Figs
-Nami
-Breezy
-iRAWR
-and who else? Twilight you want in? Anyone else?

LTWood12

So for 5 eastern today, unless I missed messages (been busy at work), for KF HM we got

-Myself
-Figs
-Nami
-Breezy
-iRAWR

GG again on the clutch relic running in that final round last night. Felt so fucking good to 4 man that shit.

Namikaze1

I'm sitting here listening to Diamond Radio at work. I might buy Fallout just for the music.

Grandma plays the numbers holy cow lol

Grim nice cup bro
"I'd like tea with 2 Wolfpack rounds please"

TG I wonder if Luke comes out of hiding to reply to that one. ;)
Yeah, I recently started listening to the ingame radio after barely using it for in the 50+ hours I put into the game. Diamond City radio is soo good. I love it when the song used for the live action ad plays when I'm wandering about shooting things. I now spend my time walking around listening to that station when I'm playing.

-Myself
-Figs
-Nami
-Breezy
-iRAWR
I'll be there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's the first time I went to a coworker and said you have to listen to this video game radio station.... She thought "The music was probably written for the game" until I said "Released in 1949?"

"Oh, ok"
Every track is a pretty fantastic pick. The End of the World by Skeeter Davis is probably my favorite though, it's perfect. I love that it hit #2 on the Billboard in 1963, and because of Fallout 4 it's like a popular song again at this moment in 2015.

Afrocious

Sure thing.

Nah, I don't care for King's Fall so someone can take the spot.

Cool. As long as we can talk star wars while doing Trials or other pvp stuff, I can forgive you.

GG again on the clutch relic running in that final round last night. Felt so fucking good to 4 man that shit.

Yeah man. Flawless execution is good, but being able to improv on the spot is something else. We did good.

phen0m24

Yeah, I recently started listening to the ingame radio after barely using it for in the 50+ hours I put into the game. Diamond City radio is soo good. I love it when the song used for the live action ad plays when I'm wandering about shooting things. I now spend my time walking around listening to that station when I'm playing.

I'll be there.

Dude it's hilarious. Atom Bomb baby, Crawl out through the Fallout, Grandma Plays the Numbers, He's a Demon..

I'm at work trying not to laugh out loud at some of these.

They're freaking awesome! The lyrics are witty and the swing sound.. Gotta love it

My co-worker is listening to it now hahaha

It just dawned on me how mindbogglingly frustrating the updates to this game have been. If Destiny was a human body, it would have died from disease a hundred times over because of how long Bungie lets problems fester and metastasize.

Let's take Auto Rifles for example. They were undeniably overstepping the other weapons when the game launched (as if the alpha and the beta didn't foreshadow that), but Bungie didn't do anything about it until several Iron Banners had passed. Every other weapon class in the game was weak compared to Autos (which wasn't the fault of the entire weapon class), and Bungie decided to knock all of them down several notches because one of them, the Suros Regime, was "too good." They cited the dominance of Suros during the first few Iron Banners as one of the reasons they made the change.

But here's the thing - Iron Banner had a bounty for Auto Rifle kills that was only changed recently. So guess what weapon people are going to use to do the bounty? S U R O S R E G I M E

Imagine for a moment that The Last Word was a Year 2 weapon. This would be like Bungie nerfing it because everyone is running around with it for the Chaperone quest.

They may not know how good these weapons are when they design them; it's impossible to know with 100% certainty how the game's balance works until trends are established after exposing it to a large sample size. That's what "meta" means. Those trends are used to make reactionary changes, whereas changes made before the sandbox ships during internal testing are proactive changes.

The problem I have with Bungie's reactive changes is that they're too late, too heavy handed, and often permanent. These weapons being overpowered isn't really a problem so much as the way they're nerfed. The Vex Mythoclast was ridiculously stupid, but it's been to hell and back and back again ever since its first knee jerk nerf. Hand Cannons as a whole are the most obvious example right now: was there anything wrong with their hipfire and airborne accuracy? Nope. Was there anything wrong with any of the Legendary Hand Cannons? Aside from range perks on some of them like The Devil You Know and Lord High Fixer, not really. But now the class as a whole is gimped because 3 of them were over performing, and were left to overperform for 9 freaking months. There are people who like the new meta for the simple fact that "there are no Hand Cannons", and that's messed up.

But I don't think these people understand where the problem originated. Bungie nerfed Hand Cannon accuracy around the same time they buffed Pulse Rifles because Thorn was everywhere in Iron Banner right after it was buffed (surprise!). (I don't want to dig up patch notes right now, but I think it was circa House of Wolves.) Once people figured out how good Thorn's range was, it was abused (and frankly, anyone who used it in PvP before December knew it was already good). This was a bigger problem because unlike The Last Word or Hawkmoon, Thorn was relatively easy to acquire, therefore anyone could get one. (Xur also sold The Last Word a whole bunch of times, so people quickly caught onto that too. Hawkmoon would have been no different.)

Bungie, what were you thinking? Why was Thorn - a DOT weapon - allowed to have that kind of range? Why did you nerf every Hand Cannon to try to fix Thorn?

This misguided change made virtually every Legendary Hand Cannons ineffective and further pushed players towards the Holy Trinity because the alternatives sucked. It wasn't like now where any Pulse Rifle is viable; if you weren't using an Exotic Hand Cannon back then, you just weren't using a Hand Cannon.

This change can also be observed with Shotguns. Bungie has thrown everything at the Shotguns - neutering them left and right and even throwing out an entire piece of the economy - because they have been overpowering since the single best counter to shotguns, Fusion Rifles, were effectively removed from the game's meta once they were nerfed. But the problem has been under their nose the entire time: there is no reason for a high impact Shotgun to exist in the game. It breaks the PvP even without perks and it is undesirable in PvE compared to the ones with a faster RoF. So why did they add more of them in House of Wolves when the first one was already proving to be a problem?

Bungie are like mad scientists wearing a blind fold poking at a lab specimen to see if they can strike an artery. And then when they do and it starts to bleed, they spend months discussing whether it was a major artery or a minor artery while blotting it down with a tissue instead of repairing it.

Everyone knows that updating the game isn't as easy as changing values in the engine and pushing a patch. Nevertheless, their wait-and-see, round-a-bout response to a lot of the game's issues makes it difficult to become invested in the game. In the back of my mind, I know that they'll come so close to their potential before missing the mark, and it's very rare that they will completely reverse a change they made, so we end up being stuck with a lot of their bad decisions.
F.U.C.K hand canons was basically my mentality as soon as I had received the Messenger from Trials. But I agree with your post. Especially shotguns. I will never understand the thought process of having OHKO shotguns like Felwinter's/ Matador.

last time i was happy, i got awful at trials. you saw that first hand

there's a correlation here

Are you really asking this question? (1) cancel all raids today (2) take a shower before you meet the girl at 7pm. (3) Profit.

dude

career > relationships > games

in that order or you'll regret it.

I don't know how the kids date these days, but just my two cents, do it up right and take her to dinner. Drinks is casual. Dinner is serious. And have fun.

If you need help with 2X raids this week I'll be around.

LTWood12

This girl I'm attracted to wants to meet up at 7pm Eastern.

Raid time is 5pm.

I want to raid 3x today.

What do

dammit

Go out and have fun man. Destiny ain't going anywhere.

dude

career > relationships > games and hobbies

in that order or you'll regret it.

Personally, I'd rank them
Relationships > Career > Hobbies

Vietnam really showed Lt. Dan the importance of relationships.

edit: what a terrible page topper. And by relationships, i don't just mean romantic relationships, but everyone you care about.

Top Bottom