• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Clash is the best mode for IB in my opinion since you can limit the damage that bad teammates can do. Control is way too dependent on your team being competent, and the double and triple scoring you get depending on the number of capture zones you have makes things real hard because one fool's fuck up can lead to your team being thousands of points behind.

Control is probably more casual friendly because even the worst players can still contribute by capturing and defending zones, whilst in Clash you actually need some semblance of skill if you don't want to to end up at the bottom of the scoreboard every game with your 3 kills and 0.3k.d lol.

I just miss being able to turn the tide of a game by myself. Not even by kills, but by strategic movements.

Like, when your team only holds A on Shores of Time, and rather than try to capture C, you run behind it and just hang out for 30 seconds until you start seeing teammates spawn with you. Then you watch as the spawns flip and you take C and B together and the game shifts.

I guess, from what I experience yesterday. Control matches have a chance to make comebacks depending on the zones flipping. In Clash, it seems to snowball, and whoever has the lead tends to keep it.

Rubenov

You grabbing these Gunsmith rolls? I know you have a perfect Hawksaw but I'm curious if you'll give the Suros and Lymuida a spin. I'd like to know your thoughts on them!

Lyudmila Roll is very good (almost God-tier), but the recoil is still too high to use it over my Hawksaw.

On the Suros I won't bother unless it has Hand Laid stock, but for those that don't have a high stability Hawksaw or PDX then option 2 may work for the time being.

I just miss being able to turn the tide of a game by myself. Not even by kills, but by strategic movements.

I won so many games as a Defender by putting a Bubble on B and holding it for 30 seconds+ with my Invective Made solo queueing bearable.

Didn't play yesterday, so we'll see how Defender in Clash pans out.

So yeah, really not enjoying Clash for Iron Banner, I hope this is just an experiemental thing, and not a permanent.

Something I thought of, that I don't understand right now.

Currently, there are two weekly playlists. Why is Iron Banner only one of them?

Like, Why not have 1 of them be Zone Control (what IB should have been from beginning), and another be Rumble. Let the top 3 in Rumble count as a win, and you'd be set. This way people have an option, and there is a playlist for teams, and a playlist for those who queue solo. Like, right now Inferno Salvage is up as a playlist... why? Who is even playing that right now?

Holy crap is Reddit freaking toxic.

I put the above into a post, because I thought it was an interesting idea:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe...ld_we_have_two_iron_banner_playlists_one_for/

The very first response, you ask?
"Why not get good?..."

I won so many games as a Defender by putting a Bubble on B and holding it for 30 seconds+ with my Invective Made solo queueing bearable.

Didn't play yesterday, so we'll see how Defender in Clash pans out.

I played my first 3 games as Defender yesterday and it was pretty bad. People just run from Bubbles because there is no reason to engage, and I was never near a super that I could suppress.

maomaoIYP

Like, when your team only holds A on Shores of Time, and rather than try to capture C, you run behind it and just hang out for 30 seconds until you start seeing teammates spawn with you. Then you watch as the spawns flip and you take C and B together and the game shifts.

I guess, from what I experience yesterday. Control matches have a chance to make comebacks depending on the zones flipping. In Clash, it seems to snowball, and whoever has the lead tends to keep it.

Lol, my experience is exactly the same, except with Clash and Control swapped around. There's no way to carry an entire team in Control when a premade party of 6 hold 2 flags and camp the last one. It's considerably easy to carry an entire team in clash and get a comeback win.

Deku Tree

DGAF, I have a question:

When do you normally run raids and nightfalls on your alts? I'd like to know. I have an idea for something, but I'd like to see people's PvE habits and schedules.

Tuesday night EST, Wed night EST, by then I'm usually done. Might take a break from these activities for a bit though.

So they capped how many packages you can order from the gunsmith? It only let me order 3, then told me that was my limit. I'm level 8, I've been able to order 5 before. What the fuck.

Lol, my experience is exactly the same, except with Clash and Control swapped around. There's no way to carry an entire team in Control when a premade party of 6 hold 2 flags and camp the last one. It's considerably easy to carry an entire team in clash and get a comeback win.

But what are you doing that is causing a comeback? The only way to really turn things around in Clash is either chaining supers or controlling a full heavy cycle and using them well.

Chances are, if you can do that, you've been doing it the whole match anyway, so comebacks aren't likely.

I guess, in Clash I don't consider anything less than 800pts a comeback. To me, the game was already pretty close/even.

In Control, you could see Comebacks from 2000-5000 points.

The Lyudmila is pretty good, esp if you're hitting someone whose shield is down. A straight one on one with Hawksaw/Nirwens you'll probably lose though. I'm torn as to whether pick up this PDX as I forgot to put in another order

maomaoIYP

But what are you doing that is causing a comeback? The only way to really turn things around in Clash is either chaining supers or controlling a full heavy cycle and using them well.

Chances are, if you can do that, you've been doing it the whole match anyway, so comebacks aren't likely.

I guess, in Clash I don't consider anything less than 800pts a comeback. To me, the game was already pretty close/even.

In Control, you could see Comebacks from 2000-5000 points.

Just by playing well and carrying the team. It's next to impossible to carry a team in control playing solo if the other side has 2 flags. There's no such problem in clash.

DeviantBoi

I think medallions are now giving you 100% of rep when redeemed.

Yesterday I complained about only getting 66 rep per win, despite the patch notes saying that there was a 20% increase.

But when I won and redeemed a medallion, I received 132 rep. That means 66 for the win and 66 for the medallion.

So if medallions were worth 80% rep and are now worth 100%, then that's the 20% increase mentioned in the patch notes.

No loss in rep for losing a match.

I think medallions are now giving you 100% of rep when redeemed.

Yesterday I complained about only getting 66 rep per win, despite the patch notes saying that there was a 20% increase.

But when I won and redeemed a medallion, I received 132 rep. That means 66 for the win and 66 for the medallion.

So if medallions were worth 80% rep and are now worth 100%, then that's the 20% increase mentioned in the patch notes.

No loss in rep for losing a match.

Lol, why didn't they just say that. Another example of Bungie speak confusing everyone

In a bit of a lull right now, how best can I level up my light level? I'm at 233, so I can't do heroics yet.

Just do the normal strike playlist and decrypt blues one by one always equipping your highest light gear whilst doing so and if you haven't your first purchase with legendary marks should be a 280 Ghost

Just by playing well and carrying the team. It's next to impossible to carry a team in control playing solo if the other side has 2 flags. There's no such problem in clash.

Right, I'm not disagree that you can carry a team more easily in Clash.

I'm saying that comebacks are less likely to happen in Clash due to lower point values and directed combat areas.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I actually think Clash exacerbates bad randoms bringing a team down. At least with Control you can try to get the team back on track by falling back and defending a point or making a big play to get a point back.

With clash, once everyone gets scattered and picked off one by one the Supers start popping, orbs are picked up and the craziness becomes almost impossible to halt.

I actually think Clash exacerbates bad randoms bringing a team down. At least with Control you can try to get the team back on track by falling back and defending a point or making a big play to get a point back.

With clash, once everyone gets scattered and picked off one by one the Supers start popping, orbs are picked up and the craziness becomes almost impossible to halt.

Random thought I had last night.

What if IB was an event that took over all of the crucible. Trials excluded. So, every game mode is IB and gives you IB rewards in PvP. Then, you can play the PvP mode you like and still be participating in IB.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Clash matches tend to snowball more, and offer little in the ways of comebacks.

Random thought I had last night.

What if IB was an event that took over all of the crucible. Trials excluded. So, every game mode is IB and gives you IB rewards in PvP. Then, you can play the PvP mode you like and still be participating in IB.

As long as Levels matter in Iron Banner, this can't happen. Bungie would end up locking out PvP for everyone who isn't high enough level.

Edit: See above, I suggested that both weekly playlists be Iron Banner, for variety sake.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
That's exactly what I'm saying. Clash matches tend to snowball more, and offer little in the ways of comebacks.

As long as Levels matter in Iron Banner, this can't happen. Bungie would end up locking out PvP for everyone who isn't high enough level.

Yeah. Its trading one problem (flipping spawns) for another arguably worse one (not sticking together).

1.) if you just bought the vanilla disc with no download codes or anything it should be just vanilla. The title/login screen or icon may say Taken King

2.) match making is available for many activities but not all. There is MM for Strike playlists and all vanilla Crucible (PvP) modes. There is not MM for story missions (including the Daily story), patrols, raids or Nightfalls. Most people, including myself, just played the story missions solo, it's not a big deal. But once you level up more and want to do NFalls or the Vault of Glass raid then you could post here for groups or use other destinylfg websites.

Unfortunately basically everyone here has the Taken King and is therefore focused on the current end game content like the King's Fall raid. Also, if the Nightfall strike is not a vanilla strike then you won't be able to play it, which I think is the case most if not every week (including this week).

Ultimately I would say play through the story, do some strikes and PvP, and eventually level up enough to do Vault of Glass at least once. If the game hooks you then definitely consider getting the DLC, but either way you should know by then if not sooner whether or not the game is for you. It will be much easier to find groups here if you have TTK although the player base is in a major lull currently since most folks have exhausted the current content.

3.) do you mean PvP? You have to reach somewhere around ~Level 5 before you get access to the Crucible. Then the playlists will open up and you can freely access the various modes with MM.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions. The game can be overwhelming at first which also makes it hard to fully explain stuff to newer players. Good luck and feel free to post any questions here!

Thanks that helps a lot!

XenoRaven

I'm just some rando scrub that barely plays this game, so who cares what I say, but the main thing I don't like about Clash is I think it exposes more of the flaws in the maps. Control and Rift give the maps context. There are objectives to complete so it's less likely someone's going to be off in some random corner sniping or doing god knows what.

That being said, I've always enjoyed objective gametypes more, even going back to my Halo days.

Also, based on my experience of taking months off of Destiny and then just jumping back into PvP with IB, fuck Pulse meta I'm doing just fine with Boolean Gemini!

Feorax

Finally got some IB gear to drop...

284 chest.

#gofuckyourselfbungie.

On the plus side, it's nice that your drops are apparently not limited to your rank.

Edit: See above, I suggested that both weekly playlists be Iron Banner, for variety sake.

I forgot about level advantage. Womp Womp. Both weekly playlists is a good solution.

Edit: Kor, saw your reddit post. WOOF. One guy's vendetta against the entire community. Never change Reddit.

Iron banner is a playlist that more players, including casuals can play and should be more frequent than once in 5 weeks.

Trails is limited to the more hardcore pvp audience but it's every week.

:/

Finally got some IB gear to drop...

284 chest.

#gofuckyourselfbungie.

On the plus side, it's nice that your drops are apparently not limited to your rank.

Not to single you out, but I see this reaction a lot and I think it indicates that the new Light system is a failure. People treat gear as if Light is the only thing that matters, especially for armor. Read the raid loot posts for further examples.

Does the chest have nice perks? Do the stats align with your builds? I think that's what Bungie wanted people to be looking at. But Light affects so much more in this game than it used to, and we don't have enough drops for infusion/infusing is expensive/wasteful, so that doesn't happen.

Progression is still gated by RNG, now even more so, because you require tons of drops to hit the Light you want, rather than just once. Raiding is much worse than it used to be because you'd hit 30/32/34 and be done! Now you're forever debating sacrificing vertical progression for horizontal or vice versa. Drops are waaaaay too rare, and light levels they drop at are too random and low to make the system work.

Honestly, at this point, I don't even really understand the point of level advantage playlists anymore.

Why not just stick a minimum level on it and be done with it.

If the difference between 290 (the ToO minimum) and 319(the current max) is negligible, then whats the point of even having a difference?

Just make it a minimum level 40 and be done with it.

Iron Banner is the same way. I hate that certain moves of mine aren't 100% guaranteed kills.

I shoulder charged a few people yesterday and watched as they lived with 10ish HP and killed me after. I'm assuming that was Light Level playing it's part, but how dumb is that?

Afrocious

When I was doing them, I'd try to get them all done Tuesday with the main because it's hard to get 6 people together multiple times a week.

Raid on my main - right at reset (that´s 10 in the morning here in Germany)
Raid on my alt - some time after work on the same day once a group forms on GAF (or in the middle of the night with you guys)

Tuesday night EST, Wed night EST, by then I'm usually done. Might take a break from these activities for a bit though.

Appreciate the responses. I'm thinking of organizing a time to get alts done in an efficient manner - to find an appropriate combination of getting people who need to get their PvE stuff knocked out while having the skill to do so at a timely basis.

As someone who would like to do other things than play Destiny longer than I originally planned, I'm at a point where I cannot be in groups wiping at silly things repeatedly. Spending 2 hours on HM Oryx, for me, is intolerable. Wiping 10+ times on Daughters HM, however, is an exercise of wondering why I'm thinking it's a good idea to sit and hope by some stretch of the mind that this group of six people can develop the spacial awareness to rationally deduce what to do and where to go for the sake of dying so much at this encounter couldn't have been feasible considering how much time has passed between HM's release and now...or so I thought.

Though we finished that fight, if it wasn't for Doobage heading out for the night before we considered going onto Oryx, I probably would've stayed in my insanity because I have a tendency to want to break brick walls with nothing but fingernails and ignorance. There was an epiphany when he left - I knew at that moment I could walk away and I did. I don't do that ever, unless I'm with gross people I don't feel like ignoring for the sake of whatever activity I'm doing. But last night, I did, and while I'm not a religious person, I felt it was a moment where Jesus would've told me I did the right thing because I'm an idiot when it comes to wanting to do stuff.

In a nutshell, I have no time for shit. I may have been more accommodating back in Year 1 when everyone was doe-eyed and things had the sheen of being new, where we sat in front of a cave and shot enemies. But now? After a year of being on life's equivalent of a Six Flags roller coaster that didn't pass safety requirements? I can't sherpa anymore and I can't carry. Fuck both of them. I know I've hit some sort of masochist quota because I'm already beyond the point where I asked the ancient question "why am I mad at video games?" I do that shit on a monthly basis. My patience skipped town with my tolerance to get away from our abusive relationship. I put them through the ringer and I live with the repercussions.

So as someone who would probably be better off putting Destiny back on its digital shelf, I have a tendency to isolate problems if I can to better identify them. This leads to a solution half of the time.

The problem is that it's quite difficult for me to get groups together. I believe this is a symptom of being away from the game for an entire year, which has relegated me in the eyes of DGAF as an ignorable inanimate object like a table or an elderly person in a nursing home. I'm like the Dick Clark of Destiny GAF when he's doing the New Year's Eve stuff on ABC. I'm invited to do stuff with folks because I was an okay person once upon a time but, for the most part, folks have moved on. Folks have Bungie employees they can play with or streamers, and here I am wanting to have fun and do stuff, but again - I am basically nothing now. I provide no insight. I'm not entertaining. I don't carry folks. I can't stand people with bad attitudes, and sometimes I find myself eagerly awaiting to snap off on someone in parties where folks are being mad.

At first, I was mad at the situation, and chances are I'll probably get mad at it sometime again in a week or so, but I am eternally frustrated and sad I suppose. My experience with Destiny nowadays has become an exercise in dealing with isolation. I don't think it's healthy, and honestly, I think I resent DGAF as a whole now. It's a confusing thought.

I've always preferred Clash to Control because your spawns aren't influenced by objectives in the former. I joined in progress played a game of Thieves' Den Control the other day where we only had the A point, so we kept spawning in that small room and getting wrecked. Eventually another player and myself managed to sneak our way to the other side of the map and flip the spawns. We took all the Zones (and then they started quitting) so we won the game that way, but it was only after being spawn trapped a bunch of times. That wouldn't have happened in Clash, but that map is ass so I wouldn't want to play Clash on it either.

I prefer Clash on Shores, Rusted Lands, Delphi and Blind Watch to Control though, whereas Control is much more fun on maps like Pantheon, Bastion, and Cathedral

XenoRaven

Honestly, at this point, I don't even really understand the point of level advantage playlists anymore.

Why not just stick a minimum level on it and be done with it.

If the difference between 290 (the ToO minimum) and 319(the current max) is negligible, then whats the point of even having a difference?

Just make it a minimum level 40 and be done with it.

Iron Banner is the same way. I hate that certain moves of mine aren't 100% guaranteed kills.

I shoulder charged a few people yesterday and watched as they lived with 10ish HP and killed me after. I'm assuming that was Light Level playing it's part, but how dumb is that?
I have a fairly low impact blue sniper that's 296 Light, so it's my highest Light special weapon. I went into IB at about 291 Light and headshot some dude with my sniper and he laughed it off like he was a Radiance Ramlock. Feels bad.

I've always preferred Clash to Control because your spawns aren't influenced by objectives in the former. I joined in progress played a game of Thieves' Den Control the other day where we only had the A point, so we kept spawning in that small room and getting wrecked. Eventually another player and myself managed to sneak our way to the other side of the map and flip the spawns. We took all the Zones (and then they started quitting) so we won the game that way, but it was only after being spawn trapped a bunch of times. That wouldn't have happened in Clash, but that map is ass so I wouldn't want to play Clash on it either.

I prefer Clash on Shores, Rusted Lands, Delphi and Blind Watch to Control though, whereas Control is much more fun on maps like Pantheon, Bastion, and Cathedral

Control on Bastion? Whaaaaaaaat?

That is a terrible control map. There is no way to stop the enemy team from spawning behind you, doesn't matter which point you control.

That said, due to so many original maps being asymmetrical, control doesn't work very well on a lot of PvP maps.

Rusted Lands, Asylum, and Anomaly are the only asymmetric maps I can think of that doesn't really have a preferred 2 points to control.

XenoRaven

That is a terrible control map. There is no way to stop the enemy team from spawning behind you, doesn't matter which point you control.

That said, due to so many original maps being asymmetrical, control doesn't work very well on a lot of PvP maps.

Rusted Lands, Asylum, and Anomaly are the only asymmetric maps I can think of that doesn't really have a preferred 2 points to control.
This has always been a head scratcher for me. Why so few symmetrical maps? Are symmetrical maps too boring or something?

Deku Tree

Appreciate the responses. I'm thinking of organizing a time to get alts done in an efficient manner - to find an appropriate combination of getting people who need to get their PvE stuff knocked out while having the skill to do so at a timely basis.

As someone who would like to do other things than play Destiny longer than I originally planned, I'm at a point where I cannot be in groups wiping at silly things repeatedly. Spending 2 hours on HM Oryx, for me, is intolerable. Wiping 10+ times on Daughters HM, however, is an exercise of wondering why I'm thinking it's a good idea to sit and hope by some stretch of the mind that this group of six people can develop the spacial awareness to rationally deduce what to do and where to go for the sake of dying so much at this encounter couldn't have been feasible considering how much time has passed between HM's release and now...or so I thought.

Though we finished that fight, if it wasn't for Doobage heading out for the night before we considered going onto Oryx, I probably would've stayed in my insanity because I have a tendency to want to break brick walls with nothing but fingernails and ignorance. There was an epiphany when he left - I knew at that moment I could walk away and I did. I don't do that ever, unless I'm with gross people I don't feel like ignoring for the sake of whatever activity I'm doing. But last night, I did, and while I'm not a religious person, I felt it was a moment where Jesus would've told me I did the right thing because I'm an idiot when it comes to wanting to do stuff.

In a nutshell, I have no time for shit. I may have been more accommodating back in Year 1 when everyone was doe-eyed and things had the sheen of being new, where we sat in front of a cave and shot enemies. But now? After a year of being on life's equivalent of a Six Flags roller coaster that didn't pass safety requirements? I can't sherpa anymore and I can't carry. Fuck both of them. I know I've hit some sort of masochist quota because I'm already beyond the point where I asked the ancient question "why am I mad at video games?" I do that shit on a monthly basis. My patience skipped town with my tolerance to get away from our abusive relationship. I put them through the ringer and I live with the repercussions.

So as someone who would probably be better off putting Destiny back on its digital shelf, I have a tendency to isolate problems if I can to better identify them. This leads to a solution half of the time.

The problem is that it's quite difficult for me to get groups together. I believe this is a symptom of being away from the game for an entire year, which has relegated me in the eyes of DGAF as an ignorable inanimate object like a table or an elderly person in a nursing home. I'm like the Dick Clark of Destiny GAF when he's doing the New Year's Eve stuff on ABC. I'm invited to do stuff with folks because I was an okay person once upon a time but, for the most part, folks have moved on. Folks have Bungie employees they can play with or streamers, and here I am wanting to have fun and do stuff, but again - I am basically nothing now. I provide no insight. I'm not entertaining. I don't carry folks. I can't stand people with bad attitudes, and sometimes I find myself eagerly awaiting to snap off on someone in parties where folks are being mad.

At first, I was mad at the situation, and chances are I'll probably get mad at it sometime again in a week or so, but I am eternally frustrated and sad I suppose. My experience with Destiny nowadays has become an exercise in dealing with isolation. I don't think it's healthy, and honestly, I think I resent DGAF as a whole now. It's a confusing thought.

200_s.gif

you might have to watch the leftovers on HBO to get the reference.

but yeah wiping for hours on HM KF when you know how to do everything right yourself after it has been out for so long because it's hard to find a group that all knows what to do and that works in sync with each other is extremely frustrating and makes it a lot less fun, especially even more so when the drops are usually horrible.

Do they come with different stats or always the same as the vendor one?

No need for more AR or shotty ammo.

Different stats. I've had 1 chest for Arc armor, and another for Sol. One had AR and Sidearm ammo, the other was Scout and Sidearm.

This has always been a head scratcher for me. Why so few symmetrical maps? Are symmetrical maps too boring or something?

They are boring. Look at the opinion of Trials during Bannerfall, compared to last week on Delphi.

Everyone thought Bannerfall would be awesome because of the symmetry, and everyone thought Delphi would be terrible because of the lop-sided spawns.

Yet a lot of people hated the Bannerfall week and loved the Delphi week.

It's because on Bannerfall, you're going to do the exact same strategy, no matter which side you spawn. On Delphi, you have 3 or 4 different strats, per side, that all feel pretty unique and change up your gameplay experience.

Exactly.

Also I think you meant to say Twilight Gap. You don't want A on Rusted Lands.

Top Bottom