• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I've got bad news for you....

I actually preferred the pulse rifle meta to the AR one. Yet I'm a trooper, will once again adapt and conquer.

FnIf9ru.gif

Bungie weapon changes are like a Sunbreaker in a china shop.

They need to stop doing these changes that simply shift the meta instead of bringing things into balance. Do things in baby steps and in passes. And do them more often. Screw this "seasons" idea. Every player should be able to not be eviscerated in the blink of an eye by the current meta loadout if they're somewhat skillful with the weapons they prefer.

Oh and thanks for taking away all my emergency CQC options in PVE, Bungie. :\ (other than solar sword R2, but I need that exotic slot and the option to carry a machine gun)

Regarding Fabian Strategy, the way I read it is that upon the perk activating, the following occurs:

ROF changes from 88 to 100
Impact changes from 8 to 2

All other base stat values remain intact. It literally changes the weapon into another archetype (epilogue, nechrocasm) at very close range.

which is useless if not potentially harmful

impact should stay at 8 to pair with the rate of fire increase, then it'd be worthy

The difference between when ARs were dominant before and what's dropping in December is that I now have the Regime.

On a more serious note, I don't see at all why Bungie doesn't allow for public testing. Is it because of Destiny being on consoles? A public test server up for a month or two with new patches and content makes for a better game in the long run.

It would require two separate clients with the beta client going through multiple updates. It would split the playerbase. It's also likely to have bugs, something the console only crowd isn't accustomed to dealing with in the same manner a PC crowd is (though that's slowly changing).

GutZ31

The difference between when ARs were dominant before and what's dropping in December is that I now have the Regime.

On a more serious note, I don't see at all why Bungie doesn't allow for public testing. Is it because of Destiny being on consoles? A public test server up for a month or two with new patches and content makes for a better game in the long run.

I think it may be the fact that they have a whole Destiny game just to sandbox everything for testing purposes.
You may have seen some of the bungie devs playing it, something called "The Seventh Column".
This is Destiny, but with developer tweaks, and a closely monitored statistic/TTK/time to complete.
They still have problems updating things on the fly, and still have issues transferring changes made in the test environment over to Destiny Live.
Destiny in its current form can't support testing servers like MMO's, and games like Uncharted allow changes just by changing server addresses.
They may never be able to bring that kind of fluidity to Destiny, but I hope to see it in Destiny 2.

LTWood12

Predictions for what new old weapons I think we could possibly get.

Nechrocasm
Hard Light
Mida (almost certainly will now grant Keen Scout)
Ice Breaker
No Land Beyond (w/ new perk tree)
Lord of Wolves

Lnkn52

Nechrocasm
Hard Light
Ice Breaker
Lord of Wolves

Can the community atleast vote for what exotic they want released!

I want Mida!

Of course theyre in a bubble. The fact that they had to nerf weapon parts and then back peddle on that by selling them means they have no idea what theyre doing until the backlash happens.

Haha. It reminds me of the Crucible Radio Episode with the Bungie weapons guy.

I don't remember the EXACT quote but basically he said a guy who used to work at Bungie was a surgeon with HCs in 2.0

I think that dude must have been a higher power.

Rubenov

Nechrocasm
Hard Light
Ice Breaker
Lord of Wolves

Nechrochasm has the lowest TTK of all auto rifles, if it makes it into Year 2, along with the AR buff... :O

LTWood12

Nechrochasm has the lowest TTK of all auto rifles, if it makes it into Year 2, along with the AR buff... :O

So many asplosions. We'll start finding out in about 90 minutes I'd wager.

I really do think we'll see Ice Breaker. It's a community favorite, and would get the media talking about Destiny again.

Headline writes itself:
"The Best Weapon in Destiny Is Coming Back"

(even though it's nowhere near the best given the recharge rate nerf)

Real talk. They aren't bring Gjallarhorn back until a month or two from Destiny 2. Book it.

You're absolutely right. Was just saying IF they did people would lose their minds.

Guys, I'm pretty fucking sure Tlaloc got nerfed during the last patch. RoF is tangibly lower than before but I don't have any of my own footage to prove it.

If anyone recorded some footage before the most recent patch, check it out then compare it to now with Overflow running.

Daemul

I miss Mass Effect 3 MP and it's weekly balance changes so much, not to mention that changes to weapons and powers in MP had no effect on their SP counterparts. Jesus I never realized just how spoiled we were.

flkraven

I always used to play with Thorn. It's probably the weapon I have the most PvP kills with. With that said, I don't think it should come back. It is a really unsatisfying weapon to be killed by, especially when everybody is shooting one.

I loved Thorn too. But I don't know if the meltdowns would be worth it.

I never even used it, but I liked how unique it was.

Basically I feel like variety above all else is important, and the Pulse Rifle meta kills that because they all feel the same. At least during the Hand Cannon days there were three exotics that felt very different.

In the PR meta, no one uses the exotics except for maybe some Red Death apperances, but most people use Nirwen, Hawksaw, or Suros- PD4 or whatever. Which they all feel exactly the same. Which makes the game feel boring.

I miss Mass Effect 3 MP and it's weekly balance changes so much, not to mention that changes to weapons and powers in MP had no effect on their SP counterparts. Jesus I never realized just how spoiled we were.

ME3 MP...I spent SO much time there and I usualy HATE hoarde mode. The weapons, the classes...so good.

If it doesn't fit that criteria it's actually a good and/or fun weapon, you'll notice. Red Death or Telesto for example.

Yeah, and that's why those guns are fun and I actually wanted them. Honestly, Zhalo is just another AR to me, while something like Thorn is in an entirely different weapon class than HC.

flkraven

Yeah, and that's why those guns are fun and I actually wanted them. Honestly, Zhalo is just another AR to me, while something like Thorn is in an entirely different weapon class than HC.

The burn alone makes Zhalo at least interesting enough for Arc Burn/Match Game etc. But how can something like Boolean Gemini be consider an exotic?

X-Frame

I think about this all the time. What is the point of internal play tests with a ridiculously small sample size that pushes huge balance changes 3+ months if they never get it right and actually balance anything?

Why wouldn't instead Bungie just push very small incremental updates a lot more frequently? Such as 1-2% changes to abilities, weapons, and other values but make them weekly or bi-monthly. There is no way small updates would break the game, yet they could add up over time depending upon consistent feedback.

Let the COMMUNITY be the play testers and just adjust accordingly. I never bought their excuse pre-2.0 that they wanted to push some weapon updates before 2.0 but didn't want to break anything. If they pushed a small balance change 1 week and got negative feedback then just tweak it next week in another hot fix? Why wait months?

I'm not understanding it.

Besides ME3 and TLoU, this is the only other mp game I've played.
How often do the more pvp-centric games like CoD and Battlefield update/change their pvp?
How did Bungie do with the Halo games back when they ran that pvp? Was it better balanced or were they were more immediate with changes? I haven't played a Halo since the second one.
I'm just curious what the norm on things like this are supposed to be. Maybe I'm playing a game with bad pvp and I just don't know it.

Thorn can rot in the deepest Abyss. No weapon should have a freaking burn that fucks with your screen. It's retarded and it can stay dead. It encouraged cowardly play because "two shots and throw a burn grenade to finish your opponent!" Zero skill to use that.

bitsurugi

Best support for a MP game i have ever witnessed. I also miss the weekend events it had.

How often do the more pvp-centric games like CoD and Battlefield update/change their pvp?
How did Bungie do with the Halo games back when they ran that pvp? Was it better balanced or were they were more immediate with changes? I haven't played a Halo since the second one.
I'm just curious what the norm on things like this are supposed to be. Maybe I'm playing a game with bad pvp and I just don't know it.

not too often--IIRC Halo 2 had like 5 weapon patches over its lifetime

Destiny obviously requires more care

What's up dgaf.

Been busy yesterday with work and then my teammates came over to watch Office Space because my Lead hasn't seen it and we work in an office so it was only fitting.

I also tried some Rum from Mexico another coworker just brought back with her, Tortuga. Smooth as butter. Also got a new phone yesterday, note 5. Loving this thing so far especially compared to my previous S4.

I'll try some trials out today when it releases.

If I didn't have all sorts of health problems I'm visiting the doc about today, things would be looking pretty good.

Tap items to bring up the transfer options. Hold your finger on it to inspect. For weapons, when inspecting, if you tap on the stat bars, it gives you the actual numbers for ROF, impact, etc.

Pretty slick.
I used this one when Tower Ghost isn't working (seems to happen after every patch).

I don't like that you can't transfer and equip all at once. And you can't see your postmaster. Other than that it's pretty solid.

TG is the best inventory manager that I've used (feature-wise) but it's not always reliable. I think the dev prioritizes Android.

XenoRaven

Halo 2 - I only remember one really major balance update fairly early on that made grenades stronger and dual wielding slightly less effective.

Halo 3 - I don't remember any major balance patch for weapons.

Halo Reach - I don't remember weapon balance changes, but they did adjust Spartan abilities and reticle bloom.

As far as I can tell, the number of balance changes in Destiny in such a short time is unprecedented for Bungie. That being said, in the Halo games, you have a set loadout you start with, and you pick weapons up in various locations on the map. If people had a choice, I'm guessing a very, very large percentage of players (like higher than Thorn use numbers) would use the mid-long range headshot archetype weapons; Battle Rifle or Covenant Carbine. Also, in fairness, while there weren't a ton of weapon balance changes, you did see some sandbox changes in terms of weapon and vehicle placement for several maps.

Loadouts, classes, and abilities make Destiny a completely different animal, and so I don't know if you can really compare their weapon balance updates in Halo games to their weapon balance updates in Destiny. Destiny is experimental in a lot of ways, and when you're the first to do something, sometimes it takes time to work the kinks out. I think they could be doing a better job, but I don't get the impression that they have no idea what they're doing.

If I didn't have all sorts of health problems I'm visiting the doc about today, things would be looking pretty good.

Sorry to hear that X, hope everything gets sorted out soon!

I should have much more time for Trials this weekend than last so hopefully we can do another run and I can redeem my scrubiness from our abbreviated Firebase run.

Top Bottom