• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Rubenov

I might as well grab me a Y2 Last Word from the kiosk and start infusing it now since the meta will be TLW + Sniper

I'm not reading this as much of a TLW buff to be honest, it will still require successful hip fire as the ADS nerf it got back in 2.0 is independent of other hand cannons.

Mark my words, ARs are returning with a vengeance.

EL CUCO

Had enough of Blops3 already? Tired of 60 fps?
Hell no. Having ALOT of fun on Blops 3, but I have friends in Destiny that feel lonely when I dont play :p
I'm not reading this as much of a TLW buff to be honest, it will still require successful hip fire as the ADS nerf it got back in 2.0 is independent of other hand cannons.

Mark my words, ARs are returning with a vengeance.
With the death of shotguns, it most definitely is.

bitsurugi

ARs are getting a significant buff at the same time pulse rifles are getting a sizable nerf. Meta will shift again for the next 3 months.

My thoughts exactly. I hate how they do nerf to one class and buff another. It is the same as happened to last patch to HC/PR.

Ace of Spades would have been interesting with Hawkmoon's perks. Is funny seeing Hawkmoon getting nerfed to balance its perks when its name implies range.

Jinjo

haha I bet that they would somehow patch the No Knight strat on Oryx to make it harder/not possible and force people to deal directly with the Knights. I said I'd dismantle my Atheon's Epilogue if I was wrong (sure it sucks, but it was my very first raid drop and has the most sentimental value). That ship has clearly sailed so my precious AE isn't long for the world.

For the record I never said they should nerf it or that I wanted them to, I never cared honestly. It just felt like one of those raid encounter strats they would deem "not working as intended" and add something silly to remove it (i.e. kill volumes on hobgoblin platforms for Templar). Good to see they're moving on from stuff like that.

Haha. Fair bet. Glad they indeed moved on from that stuff. On the dismantle note, I've dismantled my full vault of old stuff a week or two back for weapon parts. The only thing I kept is a Gjallarhorn and Bones of Eao. No regrets yet lol.

I'm full off regret if they reintroduce an E.Light mechanic again though.

The auto rifle meta is coming back with a vengeance.

Time to dust off my Suros.

We're all going to be using Scouts aren't we?

With AR's coming back and forever 315 I feel we've come full circle back to vanilla Destiny.

Waldini

Wait ... what?

They buff auto-rifles. They nerf pulse-rifles. ADS has been increased for all handcannons. Hawkmoon takes a huge hit (yet, gets a buff).

A year after the auto-rifle destruction the meta will shift back to where we were one year ago.

GG Bungo.

Rubenov

Why are you guys betting on Zhalo instead of Monte Carlo?

I don't know why, but I do those weekly Crucible bounties a lot and when it comes time to get kills with an AR, I do much better with the Zhalo than with Monte Carlo. I think the Zhalo's arc effect makes people panic; Monte Carlo doesn't have any of that.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I really hope these December changes don't translate into Crucible becoming a Y1 ARs everywhere meta again.

I freaking HATED that.

noomi

My thoughts exactly. I hate how they do nerf to one class and buff another. It is the same as happened to last patch to HC/PR.

I think Bungie once said that they compare PvP to seasons. One season is AR's, next is hand cannons, then pulse rifle season... and now.... well we'll see :p

I don't think weapons will ever be truly balanced, there will always be a handful of weapons that everyone will use... until they buff/nerf something else.

We will find the best weapons, and we will use them, and Bungie will nerf them.

A vicious cycle :p

Fun fact

Exactly a year ago (well last week), Xur sold The Last Word for the first time.
What a day it was when I took it into PvP.
rejoice.png

Last November is the closest the game was to being "balanced".

Rubenov

I really hope these December changes don't translate into Crucible becoming a Y1 ARs everywhere meta again.

I freaking HATED that.

I've got bad news for you....

I actually preferred the pulse rifle meta to the AR one. Yet I'm a trooper, will once again adapt and conquer.

I don't know why, but I do those weekly Crucible bounties a lot and when it comes time to get kills with an AR, I do much better with the Zhalo than with Monte Carlo. I think the Zhalo's arc effect makes people panic; Monte Carlo doesn't have any of that.

Not gonna lie, even if a game just started and I see someone with Zhalo my first instinct is, "holy shit, that guy has a machine gun!"

Kyoufu

I'm thinking AR's and Scouts will be real good to use. Scout rifles are already in a pretty good place, and now with pulses getting nerfed, I feeling like people will start using them more and more.

Have you or anyone else here tried Inward Lamp in PVP?

flkraven

I'm telling you guys, Bungie has run out of idea for exotic weapons. Majority of them have a perk that somehow returns ammo to you, and if they don't, chances are the perc is weird and isn't even a consistent proc.

The other two class-specific exotics are pretty damn good and Fabian Strategy has been complete ass. December upate, and people are talking about ARs being the new meta. Fabian Strategy even gets a special adjustment...and it still seems like it will be crap?

Waldini

I think Bungie once said that they compare PvP to seasons. One season is AR's, next is hand cannons, then pulse rifle season... and now.... well we'll see :p

I don't think weapons will ever be truly balanced, there will always be a handful of weapons that everyone will use... until they buff/nerf something else.

We will find the best weapons, and we will use them, and Bungie will nerf them.

A vicious cycle :p

Hmmm ... how about Bungo just introduces a "melee" only gamemode? PvMelee? Running around, no weapons/grenades/supers ... just melee. Warlock-meta!

It's a shame that Hawkmoon will probaly get "vaulted" once the december-patch hits.

X-Frame

The other two class-specific exotics are pretty damn good and Fabian Strategy has been complete ass. December upate, and people are talking about ARs being the new meta. Fabian Strategy even gets a special adjustment...and it still seems like it will be crap?

Doesn't the bullet hose archetype have one of the lowest TTK in the game already though? And AR's are getting buffed.

So this would basically change between a Zhalo archetype at Medium and beyond ranges down to an Atheon's Epilogue archetype when they get close, turning it into a chainsaw.

According to the patch notes they're not really doing anything to low impact pulses so keep grinding those Grasp of Maloks if you're about that life

Deku Tree

edit: ^^^^ didn't see that toasty post when I made mine.

Bungie should totally wreck the Grasp just like they did to the Pilgrim.
The most OP primaries shouldn't require that kind of insane grinding to get.

Since I don't PvP I don't really care, but that's what they should do.

I've got bad news for you....

I actually preferred the pulse rifle meta to the AR one. Yet I'm a trooper, will once again adapt and conquer.

I like the PR meta too. The problem for me was finding my PR. Now, I will have to go through the entire process again, except with a different class of weapon.

Edit: also RIP ever seeing a new messenger

Navy Bean

The pulse meta is so much better than the Thorn days.

The pulse meta sucks lol. All the pulse guns feel the same and none of them are fun to use IMO. At least there is some variety in ARs and HCs.

But the true OP gun is still Tlaloc with a super charged...so good.

flkraven

Wouldn't this support a scout rifle meta? It might be the only weapon class with a consistent TTK across all ranges--one that's quite high.

But since sniper rifles' AA hasn't been changed, and the shotty nerf means there will be fewer people in their face, then scout users will be fucked by snipers. Better to close the gap with an auto rifle now I guess.

The fabian strategy "buff" seems fukin weird

It basically just changes from a normal ROF type to a high ROF type in close range with high stability--which is...maybe in theory kind of good, but it's only got a 40 round magazine, some of which will likely already be used by the time the close range perk activates--meaning it could actually become LESS powerful once its perk is triggered

o_O

Rubenov

Yep. Might as well dismantle those PDX-45 orders folks, save some inventory space. Not worth waiting for a good roll there now.

edit: ^^^^ didn't see that toasty post when I made mine.

Bungie should totally wreck the Grasp just like they did to the Pilgrim.
The most OP primaries shouldn't require that kind of insane grinding to get.

Since I don't PvP I don't really care, but that's what they should do.

Yup, 2% reduction so basically nothing since the numbers per bullet are low anyway.

In comparison the other archetypes are taking 8 or 9%. Really strange oversight. The few counterbalance + braced frame/hand laid stock Maloks I've encountered are practically unbeatable at close -> mid

flkraven

What if, instead of nerfing shot guns, they just made it so in PvP you could only spawn in with 2 special weapon shots. And make ammo crates only drop an additional 2. And eliminate the Invective regen-ammo thing for PvP. Without nerfing anything that would vastly improve the meta.

Exotic weapons shouldn't be struggling to be as unique as they once were. Off the top of my head, here are some idea for exotic weapons.

PvE Rocket Launcher that holds two in the barrel and fires both rockets at the same time. Let the rockets spin around each other like a double helix kind of thing.

PvE/PvP Rocket Launcher that has a 50% chance to drop a single rocket ammo pack on the ground of a killed target (Scaling would be much less dependable in PvE). Very low velocity.

PvE/PvP Rocket Launcher with proxy detonation that sticks to walls. Basically, a tripmine cannon.

PvP Rocket Launcher that does less damage but has a lot of physical momentum in the blast radius. Idea is to launch your enemies into walls for kills or out of maps.

PvP Sniper Rifle that only holds one in the chamber, super slow reload, but has no glint on the lense (basically what NLB should have been).

PvP Sniper Rifle that can't kill with a headshot, but doing any damage puts a 5 second debuff on the target that reduces their agility to 1.

PvP Fusion Rifle that fires it's bolts in a + or x shape pattern every time.

PvP Sidearm that causes major recoil on a target when hit. Idea is to really deter charging shotguns.

PvP Sidearm that has near instant weapon swap time.

PvE Sidearm that has near perfect accuracy when shooting from behind cover.

PvP Sidearm that disables/silences enemies melee attack when hit.

PvP/PvE Scout rifle that increases Radar range by 1.5x

PvP Scout Rifle that has no accuracy penalty while jumping/airborne, and small damage bonus.

PvP Assault Rifle that is basically terrible but reduces grenade cooldown by .67X but only if the AR is being held.

PvP Pulse Rifle that does .75x damage to normal targets but 1.5x damage to targets in their super.

PvE Machine Gun that has a battery and holds all its ammo in 1 giant clip.

I know they aren't all winners, but this should be the kind of variety we have in our exotics. Weapons like Thorn and Telesto are awesome because they are such drastic changes to the way their weapon types are normally used. They should be the baseline that other exotics want to be.

quoting myself in light of recent weapon tuning news

I wonder if they are in too much of a bubble when they test this stuff. Why not toss it out as an open Beta. You go to the director, "December Weapons Balance Beta" and everyday it's a different Crucible mode. People can try it and give feedback. They can also see how the masses react before they roll it out in a big sweeping change.

LTWood12

Regarding Fabian Strategy, the way I read it is that upon the perk activating, the following occurs:

ROF changes from 88 to 100
Impact changes from 8 to 2

All other base stat values remain intact. It literally changes the weapon into another archetype (epilogue, nechrocasm) at very close range.

Afrocious

The difference between when ARs were dominant before and what's dropping in December is that I now have the Regime.

On a more serious note, I don't see at all why Bungie doesn't allow for public testing. Is it because of Destiny being on consoles? A public test server up for a month or two with new patches and content makes for a better game in the long run.

I wonder if they are in too much of a bubble when they test this stuff. Why not toss it out as an open Beta. You go to the director, "December Weapons Balance Beta" and everyday it's a different Crucible mode. People can try it and give feedback. They can also see how the masses react before they roll it out in a big sweeping change.

Of course theyre in a bubble. The fact that they had to nerf weapon parts and then back peddle on that by selling them means they have no idea what theyre doing until the backlash happens.

The difference between when ARs were dominant before and what's dropping in December is that I now have the Regime.

On a more serious note, I don't see at all why Bungie doesn't allow for public testing. Is it because of Destiny being on consoles? A public test server up for a month or two with new patches and content makes for a better game in the long run.

Public test realms can be bad for the playerbase as well. I cannot tell you the number of people I watched burn out on WoW after they implemented the public test realms. You're basically asking people to work for free, and while the person might think that sounds like fun at first, they'll burn out once they realize it's almost a job with no thanks.

Top Bottom