• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Dragons Breath should be the first true exotic weapon that allows another exotic weapon to be equipped at the same time. Given how RL ammo drops were nerfed, it's really hard to justify using an exotic RL of any kind at all.

Lnkn52

zzQlP9K.png

0040b864f9748f223bff66b883ec270c.480x360x1.jpg

LTWood12

Dragon's Breath can be good with tweaks. Nobody used it because of Gjally.

Nobody used it because it sucked. No tracking, and your enemies just walked out of the solar ball thing and didn't walk back in it.

TG please. Dragon's Breath was awful even in a world without Gjallarhorn. I can equip one exotic weapon. Let's see, how about the rocket launcher w/ the velocity of my grandmother on her way to church, that leaves a grenade in it's wake that no one even uses FOR THEIR GRENADE.

GhaleonEB

What if the solar flare sucked in enemies sort of like the tether!
That would work! And is actually a great idea, adding a vortex pull to it. I liked that RL, but it needs something extra to warrant the exotic slot.

TG please. Dragon's Breath was awful even in a world without Gjallarhorn. I can equip one exotic weapon. Let's see, how about the rocket launcher w/ the velocity of my grandmother on her way to church, that leaves a grenade in it's wake that no one even uses FOR THEIR GRENADE.
I used it a lot in PvE, because it had three in the tube which meant when I could carry extra rocket ammo, I carried a lot. On Nightfalls and weeklies with solar burn it was great against bosses (I did not have the 'Horn). I eventually swapped it out with Truth for my general purpose RL though.

Kaiken

Banned
Dragons Breath could be useful in the KF Raid with a lot of stationary enemies and mechanics; Warpriest, Golgaroth, Golgaroth Tear Drops, Ogre spawns, Oryx DPS, Detonation safety.

LTWood12

That would work! And is actually a great idea, adding a vortex pull to it. I liked that RL, but it needs something extra to warrant the exotic slot.

I used it a lot in PvE, because it had three in the tube which meant when I could carry extra rocket ammo, I carried a lot. On Nightfalls and weeklies with solar burn it was great against bosses (I did not have the 'Horn).

I'll say this, It's a badass looking weapon if nothing else. Hopefully it's been completely overhauled.

Well what I meant was, the only Exotic Rocket Launcher worth using in PvE was the Gjallarhorn. If there was no Gjallarhorn, i'd say Dragon's Breath would be the next best Exotic given that Truth didn't do anything in PvE that a Legendary couldn't do. In practice, Hunger of Crota was a better rocket launcher than both of them, but on paper the Dragon's Breath had a lot of potential.

Its gimmick was definitely underpowered, but they've probably enhanced it.

Dragons Breath could be useful in the KF Raid with a lot of stationary enemies and mechanics; Warpriest, Golgaroth, Golgaroth Tear Drops, Ogre spawns, Oryx DPS, Detonation safety.

Indeed. I actually wanted to use it on Warpriest at one point. It would be great for clearing out adds and then preventing more of them.

Jabronium

Hmm, interesting ideas. Will be interesting to see how they've tweaked it.

noomi

Sadly, it seems like nothing will be more useful than the black spindle in those encounters

Mindlog

My personal hope: either the damage from the solar flare is increased, or it leaves a small shower of solar blooms in an area around the blast radius, creating a large area of denial / damage over time. Would be useful in both PvE and PvP.

Heck, just adding tracking would make it great, with three rounds in the tube.
Lower initial impact damage.
Cluster munitions.
Clusters are Firebolts instead of Solar Flares.

SonComet

I'm so so so excited for the return of the armamentarium. To me the MIDA was never very exciting in year 1. I used it to jump higher when soloing parts of the Crota raid. But with the state of the current exotics I'm actually happy it's coming back. I just hope the mythoclast and necrochasm return ASAP. They are my favorite year one weapons.

AaronMT86

Pretty evident that these weapons were selected based on weapon sandboxing tweaks. They want to encourage different weapon types again.

GhaleonEB

What is the Halo reference?

The original Halo (before it came to Xbox) had a flame thrower, which was cut during development. When it was ported to PC, the port devs added it back in.

Flamethrower_HCE_2.jpg

Bungie brought it back with Halo 3:

Halo-3-20070810044503823.jpg

Dragon's Breath is a reference to this, as with the "burn the world" description, hearkening back to its beginning as a flame thrower (which is why it's solar).

X-Frame

I'm never taking off MIDA or The Armamentarium.

With the Increased Heavy Ammo perk plus Rocket Ammo boots you get another 2 rockets with Suros launchers which is 4 rockets.

That's a huge advantage right there.

noomi

Didn't he say we're only getting 2 armors yesterday? I'm assuming the 3rd armor was the skull that was already leaked through. So probably a hunter piece is what we're missing.

Oh did they? Didn't even realize that. Well either way, I hope each class gets something.

X-Frame

Didn't he say we're only getting 2 armors yesterday? I'm assuming the 3rd armor was the skull that was already leaked through. So probably a hunter piece is what we're missing.

He said only 2 were exclusive to Year 2 and the rest were Year 1's upgraded to Year 2, so unless it's 2 of the 9 armor pieces in the Armory (which would be BS since that means 1 class wouldn't get a new armor), it means it's 2 possibly completely new exotics we haven't seen yet. I dunno.

He said only 2 were exclusive to Year 2 and the rest were Year 1's upgraded to Year 2, so unless it's 2 of the 9 armor pieces in the Armory (which would be BS since that means 1 class wouldn't get a new armor), it means it's 2 possibly completely new exotics we haven't seen yet. I dunno.

Hmm... how many of the new exotic armors have leaked out so far?

I know Twilight Garrison has been seen a few times. Hasn't one of the Hunter pieces been seen as well?

Feeling underwhelmed by these new old exotics TBH. Nothing worth grinding for at all.

It's something to add to Xur's table.

AKA Everything old is new again.

The original Halo (before it came to Xbox) had a flame thrower, which was cut during development. When it was ported to PC, the port devs added it back in.

Flamethrower_HCE_2.jpg

Bungie brought it back with Halo 3:

Halo-3-20070810044503823.jpg

Dragon's Breath is a reference this, as with the "burn the world" description, hearkening back to its beginning as a flame thrower (which is why it's solar).

Oh wow I had no idea about this. Pretty cool!

I admit I am not a Dragon's Breath supporter as I barely equipped it but I could see how improvements would make it a good weapon.

My guess is the two new armors will be the two Y2 exotic chest pieces for Hunter and Titan since those classes didn't get one yet for Y2. Warlock already got Alchemist's Raiment.

Oh wow I had no idea about this. Pretty cool!

I admit I am not a Dragon's Breath supporter as I barely equipped it but I could see how improvements would make it a good weapon.

Dragon's breath was one of those weapons that sounds amazing on paper, but the implementation was terrible.

Mostly because in PvE, enemies were coded to get out of AoE grenades, and in PvP the initial blast killed the enemy anyway.

So very very rarely did the fancy perk have any actual use. Exceptions would be Nightfalls with large slow moving targets like the Cabal Tank or Spider Tank.

LTWood12

I can't even wrap my head around how some of you guys don't die as much as everyone else but still get tons of kills. I cant even reliably get over 1.0 kd unless I hang back, camp and snipe, but I only get a handful of kills that way.

I'm actually terrible at PVP. But have a good game every once in awhile. I recorded the match, and will post it this evening.

This match was on bannerfall. I rocked a voidwalker w/ axion bolts, Hawksaw, 1000 YS, and Truth.

Take cover when you start getting shot. run away when needed. always check radar. be ads where you know someone is about to be. use suppressive fire to put people on their heels before they even see you. Fire lots of rockets.

noomi

Feeling underwhelmed by these new old exotics TBH. Nothing worth grinding for at all.

Milking the content till the last drop, but at least these should have a new perk or two.

I'm more surprised that we haven't heard more about Challenge Mode.

phen0m24

I can't even wrap my head around how some of you guys don't die as much as everyone else but still get tons of kills. I cant even reliably get over 1.0 kd unless I hang back, camp and snipe, but I only get a handful of kills that way.

Bro fist

I may just start playing only to get assists.

I suck at everything else

GhaleonEB

Dragon's breath was one of those weapons that sounds amazing on paper, but the implementation was terrible.

Mostly because in PvE, enemies were coded to get out of AoE grenades, and in PvP the initial blast killed the enemy anyway.

So very very rarely did the fancy perk have any actual use. Exceptions would be Nightfalls with large slow moving targets like the Cabal Tank or Spider Tank.
Yup. It ended up being very special purpose, with the times when it was advantageous so rare that eventually it wasn't worth continuing to use. It needs some kind of complimentary perk or perk adjustment to address both issues. (Leaving behind a viable area of denial in PvP would be useful; a vortex/cluster bomb effect in PvE so its wake is more effective, etc.).

Really hope it got a second look for year 2.

Milking the content till the last drop, but at least these should have a new perk or two.

I'm more surprised that we haven't heard more about Challenge Mode.
I'm guessing they won't talk too much about that prior to release, similar to the raids themselves. Part of the initial challenge will be figuring out the new mechanics.

Bungie will be at the Playstation Experience. My bold prediction is we'll see a preview of the other content in the December update.

Top Bottom