• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
These fuckers.

k1hnB4d.png

inthrall

Ah, that makes sense. Y2 stats definitely not as good or extensive as Y1 stats for Trials, nor will they ever be.

Yeah definitely not for you, but I think I have more games in Y2 than Y1 so the opposite is true for me

Yet somehow, I haven't been able to get 7 wins on a single card. And it's not like I'm playing with different people. I'm playing with the exact same set of people I've always played trials with.

So I'm left scratching my head here.

I found that a lot of the skills I learned in 6v6 don't translate to 3v3, map control and positioning are a lot more important than before, particularly on this map. I suspect the average calibre of players this weekend is higher as well, there will be a lot of returning champions duking it out for the Y2 rewards. You'll hit your groove eventually!

It definitely shrink the pool. We played the same groups twice. As in two separate teams twice. The second time around both teams seemed particularly salty.

Off topic from this post, but I saw your earlier post about getting a gaming monitor. I bought one during HoW Trials and have really liked it. I used to switch back and forth from my big TV for Trials vs other stuff but then I moved and I've left the PS4 hooked up to only my monitor in the office. I like being able to sit close to a small, sharp screen than far away from a big, muddier screen. Definitely feels snappier and crisper for PvP, reduced input lag is very noticeable.

Normal, sorry. I could try hard on my warlock, but its only 301

hey cybr, we might have a spot.
we're doing normal, from totems.
we're starting in about 15 minutes, and I've not heard from any of the team aside from ich00, who said he most likely can't make it. I have 3 alts already, and 2 definitely in the FT. you could be our 6th, but I won't know for sure for a little bit.

I kick Crota's ass once again and still no Crux. Why is the drop rate so low? It's gonna still elude me by the time Destiny 2 comes out.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
hey cybr, we might have a spot.
we're doing normal, from totems.
we're starting in about 15 minutes, and I've not heard from any of the team aside from ich00, who said he most likely can't make it. I have 3 alts already, and 2 definitely in the FT. you could be our 6th, but I won't know for sure for a little bit.

Ill happily come. Thanks for the offer.

I found that a lot of the skills I learned in 6v6 don't translate to 3v3, map control and positioning are a lot more important than before, particularly on this map. I suspect the average calibre of players this weekend is higher as well, there will be a lot of returning champions duking it out for the Y2 rewards. You'll hit your groove eventually!

If you glance at my image there, you'll see that I mostly play and specialize in the 3v3 playlists, so I don't think that's a factor.

I genuinely think that the attendance for the playlist is going to go down, despite the bounties being as accessible as they are.

The game mode feels harder, and it's going to scare off the casual players even more, and the ones that try to force through are going to burn out, and get sick of the game because they aren't actually having fun, they're just playing because they feel like they have to.

I don't look at reddit or the Bungie forums, so I am curious if the general sentiment about PvP in 2.0 is as negative as it (deservedly) is here? If so I'd really like Bungie to address it soon. If they actually do quarterly balancing it would be December that it would happen. So they should at least say they are taking a look at it and doing testing right now.

These fuckers.]

Those connection bars, eww. I got DC'ed from one of our first games but no idea if it was something malevolent or just my internet goofing. I know there's some nonsense going around about forcing DCs in Trials but no idea how it works or how to differentiate it. Very rarely if ever got DC'ed from Trials matches in Year 1.

I found that a lot of the skills I learned in 6v6 don't translate to 3v3, map control and positioning are a lot more important than before, particularly on this map.

Very true what you're saying here. I'd even go so far as to say Trials has notably different skill sets than other 3v3 modes. Much harsher about extending past sight lines, all about orb control. But for Kor all his 3v3 stats are much better than his 6v6 stats so I don't think that's an issue here.

Namikaze1

Off topic but just met an amazing guy while playing some Halo 5 Warzone. Dude was looking for folks to play with to get his mind off of things after putting down his dog today. I and a few others grouped up with him. We chatted for a bit, he talked a lot about his dog and I about the friend who passed away this morning. We ended up playing together for 2 hours before he had to leave. The rest of the group spent most of the time making us laugh with their antics. We lost more than half of our matches but the group made it fun.

I kick Crota's ass once again and still no Crux. Why is the drop rate so low? It's gonna still elude me by the time Destiny 2 comes out.
You're just not worthy of a Necrochasm.

Magik

Good lord watching Tfue's stream is annoying as can be. He sounds and talks like a dumbass half the time.

Majority of these streamers and youtubers are so obnoxiously annoying. ;\

If Luke is around anywhere, I'm curious what you guys will be using as metrics to determine if the changes for Trials will be considered an improvement or not.

Like, obviously there is going to be complaints in any competitive PvP setting, so it's hard for us to see exactly what is happening.

I'm assuming you guys are looking at trials bounties completed and stuff like that.

Basically, I just hope Deej actually talks about it in the next BWU.

Other than that, the more I read about it, the more I think it feels like the "middle class" of PvP players has been dissolved. The best of the middle class has made it into the elite, but most of the middle class has been reduced to lower class players that.

I always thought I was on the better end of the gaming spectrum. Hell, DestinyTracker would have me believe I have great stats:

Yet somehow, I haven't been able to get 7 wins on a single card. And it's not like I'm playing with different people. I'm playing with the exact same set of people I've always played trials with.

Its because their matchmaking algorithm doesnt guarantee getting matched up with players of equal skill. All its looking at is wins. So lets say you reach 6 wins, its either a bad team on their last game doing bounties or a good team on their 6th win. And if the team is going for Mercury, chances are theyll dump their card the second they get a red marker..

Basically your best bet for getting to Mercury is friday. After that the pool if players will go down. Combined with their new matching, chances are youll be matched with opposing teams that have +1/+0/-1 wins compared to your own, with the pool growing when it cant find people.

This matchmaking discourages newbier teams from trying out, before average to above average players could get lucky with matching and make it to mercury. Thats what the boons were for. Now? Unless you execute perfectly, the matches above 4 wins will get progressively harder as the pool thins.

And dont get me started on the lack of connection priority. I would say that out of the 10 matches I played last night, 6 of those lag was a factor.

Good lord watching Tfue's stream is annoying as can be. He sounds and talks like a dumbass half the time.

Majority of these streamers and youtubers are so obnoxiously annoying. ;

Surely you aren't talking about your boy Tfue. He brings the hottest daily Destiny videos.

lol @ that person saying we've gone from having 2 guns to 8+. Yeah, maybe, but they're all pulse rifles and they all feel the fucking same.
Mhm. Say what you will about how Thorn/Hawk/TLW were OP, but they all felt and performed drastically different from each other. How you approached a match depended on which HC you were using.

With pulse rifles...its all lomg range. Compounded with sniper rifles and every match is a fuckery of standing around looking at doors.

Kyoufu

Mhm. Say what you will about how Thorn/Hawk/TLW were OP, but they all felt and performed drastically different from each other. How you approached a match depended on which HC you were using.

With pulse rifles...its all lomg range. Compounded with sniper rifles and every match is a fuckery of standing around looking at doors.

They need to buff HCs and they probably will...

...in 5 months :(

Zocano

Thorn and Hawkmoon are nearly identical in how you play with them. TLW was the only one that really felt different.

edit: join on rasengan1337, please. I thought I had the totems CP, but I seem to have not saved it correctly.
KF NM,

1. rasengan1337 - already online
2. Ichabod00 - watching lincoln
3. Fahlco - already in KF, so i'm assuming not joining our FT
4. Ubergrmn - iRawr, you coming?
5. Pandora012 - online?
6. stuckd - definitely in group

alt: raadius
alt: Casmith7509
alt: steakjuice

Drizzay can join us too, if we're in need

*snip*
Nice, looks like you have plenty of people. I'm not online now but send me a party invite if you need me, I'll see it on my phone.

Looks about 50/50 from a brief skim. Better than to be expected since Destiny reddit is typically very positive. It'll be interesting to see that thread progress.

lol @ that person saying we've gone from having 2 guns to 8+. Yeah, maybe, but they're all pulse rifles and they all feel the fucking same.

My thoughts exactly. This is the weakest argument that people always use when defending the new meta. Like you said pulses all feel basically the same so it doesn't really matter if you have multiple choices. The most competitive levels of play will narrow these choices further. Despite the new weapon variety all I saw in trials was Nirwen's.

Thorn and Hawkmoon are nearly identical in how you play with them. TLW was the only one that really felt different.

As someone who mastered thorn, I can tell you they werent. Hawkmoon is much better in an aggressive style, more free form, with a persons approach taking into account the lucky bullets. Thorn is better defensive, better suiting a turtlish style with the ability to advance when the dots in effect. They can both hit hard from far away, but at the finer levels of play they were radically different.

Frenden

Banned
If Luke is around anywhere, I'm curious what you guys will be using as metrics to determine if the changes for Trials will be considered an improvement or not.

Like, obviously there is going to be complaints in any competitive PvP setting, so it's hard for us to see exactly what is happening.

I'm assuming you guys are looking at trials bounties completed and stuff like that.

Other than that, the more I read about it, the more I think it feels like the "middle class" of PvP players has been dissolved. The best of the middle class has made it into the elite, but most of the middle class has been reduced to lower class players that.

I always thought I was on the better end of the gaming spectrum. Hell, DestinyTracker would have me believe I have great stats:

Kor, I'm in the same boat. I had a real crappy start to PvP, but the last few months pre-2.0 I was averaging near a 2.5-3 KDR in Control/Banner. I did alright in Trials the one time I tried, I think. I went to eight wins before calling in the Drizzay signal. It was the final weekend before 2.0 dropped and I wanted to make it so badly. I even held my own there--having a few matches where I was top of the leaderboard with Drizzay and Wicked.

I felt great--I was SO stoked to Trials again in the future. I was at my personal best in 6v6 modes and felt like my gun skill was on par for 3v3. I just needed to learn the ebb and flow of things and be a little less rash, I thought.

Then came 2.0. I'm trash. My KD is probably low 1.2s or something. I haven't even looked because I've turned to such crap that I can't bring myself to.

I'm not sure where players like you and I fit in, Kor. I was better than a lot of folks, the upper-middle class, I think. Now... fuck all if I know.

EDIT: One caveat of note. I was a day one HC user. I barely ever used anything else. I TLW/sniped. Before I got a TLW, I was a Devil You Know user. I never liked ARs, PRs, or SRS much.

is the raid shotgun worth keeping, or is it simply infusion-fodder?

Raid shotty seems decent. Honestly I've used snipers almost exclusively in PvE and PvP since TTK launched.

I've seen people do well in PvP with it, but most any shotgun would probably have done the same. The life leech perk where you get life back from killing 3 enemies seems nice for PvE. Depending on the last perk you could infuse it or keep it for the collection. I don't think you'd miss it much if it was gone.

Mindlog

Watching a speed run HM King's Fall and they're hitting the same lag we encountered. Anyone else running into weird lag during the Raid recently? Reminds me of old Atheon glitches, but since the glitches aren't as overt it takes a while to tell anything is wrong.

Stuff like doing no damage to an ogre despite landing crits and standing on a platform to no effect can grate the nerves. It even happens when everyone has the magic green bar.
is the raid shotgun worth keeping, or is it simply infusion-fodder?
I like it when battling taken so I keep one for PvE.
Very specifically (like most Raid weapons) I like it for one encounter. The shotgun is very effective on barriers and taken phalanx in the first area of the raid when retrieving relics.

Nightstalker is the most fan I've had in PVP. Holy fucking shit, just clinch a game with a Shadowshot and poison the two remaining enemies left in the game. LOVE IT.

Raid shotty seems decent. Honestly I've used snipers almost exclusively in PvE and PvP since TTK launched.

I've seen people do well in PvP with it, but most any shotgun would probably have done the same. The life leech perk where you get life back from killing 3 enemies seems nice for PvE. Depending on the last perk you could infuse it or keep it for the collection. I don't think you'd miss it much if it was gone.

thanks for the info! I think we'll need you to join us?
I "lost" the totems CP, so we'll be starting fresh

FStop7

Banned
Hit 289 light, almost ready to raid. I suppose I'm close enough but I'd like to get a little more buffed.

I got a Monte Carlo from the Shield Bros strike on the heroic playlist. I don't get the appeal of the Monte Carlo, at all. It's 290 yet it feels weak compared to the 280 Supercell I bought from Xur. The Supercell might be my favorite gun in the entire game. For someone who mostly plays solo PVE the chain lightning effect is incredibly helpful for crowd control.

The strike itself is pretty awesome except the boss fight is brutal for someone like me, who relies on moving from cover to cover. It's obviously like this by design, I appreciate the departure. It's really well-done. But hard as fuck.

gatti-man

This is exactly why I don't like new trials. But I'm told the lighthouse isn't for very good players only the "best of the best". It's bullcrap and I 100% agree this is wrong.

I'll tell you what you have to do bc it was I had to do. You're going to have to find better teammates.

Off topic from this post, but I saw your earlier post about getting a gaming monitor. I bought one during HoW Trials and have really liked it. I used to switch back and forth from my big TV for Trials vs other stuff but then I moved and I've left the PS4 hooked up to only my monitor in the office. I like being able to sit close to a small, sharp screen than far away from a big, muddier screen. Definitely feels snappier and crisper for PvP, reduced input lag is very noticeable.

Yeah I love the monitor but I won't lie, it's a Trials of Osiris purchase. It makes trials and sniping much MUCH easier for me. I'd say it won 4-5 rounds for me on its ability to make it easier for clutch snipes and quick scopes in the middle of combat.

hey guys. anyone up for some ToO?

i got helped to 5-0 on my card.

anyone want to play 4 or 5 games to help fill the card to 9?

thanks.

psn jerky

Dante316

Just upped my hunter from 240 light to 289 using infusing fodder but the artifact is 200 light. How do I get a high light of that? Or I have to do the court of oryx quest?

Can someone explain how the Titan shoulder charge works? I've never used it, but from what I understand it's just a one hit kill melee ability? Why is that a thing? I don't think any other class has a one hit kill, especially one that can happen in the blink of an eye and cover 5ft instantly...

edit: join on rasengan1337, please. I thought I had the totems CP, but I seem to have not saved it correctly.
KF NM,

1. rasengan1337 - already online
2. Ichabod00 - watching lincoln
3. Fahlco - already in KF, so i'm assuming not joining our FT
4. Ubergrmn - iRawr, you coming?
5. Pandora012 - online?
6. stuckd - definitely in group

alt: raadius
alt: Casmith7509
alt: steakjuice

Drizzay can join us too, if we're in need
Sorry too tired tonight :/

gatti-man

Its because their matchmaking algorithm doesnt guarantee getting matched up with players of equal skill. All its looking at is wins. So lets say you reach 6 wins, its either a bad team on their last game doing bounties or a good team on their 6th win. And if the team is going for Mercury, chances are theyll dump their card the second they get a red marker..

Basically your best bet for getting to Mercury is friday. After that the pool if players will go down. Combined with their new matching, chances are youll be matched with opposing teams that have +1/+0/-1 wins compared to your own, with the pool growing when it cant find people.

This matchmaking discourages newbier teams from trying out, before average to above average players could get lucky with matching and make it to mercury. Thats what the boons were for. Now? Unless you execute perfectly, the matches above 4 wins will get progressively harder as the pool thins.

And dont get me started on the lack of connection priority. I would say that out of the 10 matches I played last night, 6 of those lag was a factor.

Best time to play is almost always Sunday morning. Just my opinion but it's almost always the easiest for me.

Top Bottom