• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Cozmo, why you no make sense?

In Triplets stream, someone said that they have a DDOS recorded where can I report it to you at?

His first response was "in game". Like you can show your proof in game haha.

ocean

Banned
I'm not familiar with other shooters.

What's the expectation for constant content deliveries like? Hard to compare with annualized titles like CoD for obvious reasons, but do fans of other games generally demand "give me more or we quit" a few weeks after anything is delivered?

I ask because it feels like this is probably the most conceptually challenging part of the game's Frankenstein genre for Bungie. It's a FPS with top of the line production values but people expect MMO-tier content pipelines.

In a way I suppose it's a positive. I mean normally people are just done with a game whenever they do everything, whereas we continue playing the same thing over and over for fun. But it's just funny how some other games can be played over and over for fun (people are still playing Melee, Black Ops 2, any fighting game etc) years after release just cause they like it with zero expectation of new content being delivered.

I guess as a developer I'd be happy people are constantly asking me to give them more. But the flip side is, even if they drop 17 Raids in an expansion this community has been conditioned to always feel unsatisfied with the amount of content and ask for more as soon as they burn through it.

Not sure what the hell happened here but I'll allow it

siVp3Cd.gif

Firefly probably blew up a grenade which blew up the other guy along with the firefly explosion itself.

Not sure what the hell happened here but I'll allow it

siVp3Cd.gif
Might be mistaken, but I believe your firefly explosion blew up one of the explosive barrels near B, finishing off the second guy who was already hurt by the initial firefly explosion.

Edit: Or maybe a standard two for one headshot when they were lined up?

What's the expectation for constant content deliveries like? Hard to compare with annualized titles like CoD for obvious reasons, but do fans of other games generally demand "give me more or we quit" a few weeks after anything is delivered?

I ask because it feels like this is probably the most conceptually challenging part of the game's Frankenstein genre for Bungie. It's a FPS with top of the line production values but people expect MMO-tier content pipelines.

In a way I suppose it's a positive. I mean normally people are just done with a game whenever they do everything, whereas we continue playing the same thing over and over for fun. But it's just funny how some other games can be played over and over for fun (people are still playing Melee, Black Ops 2, any fighting game etc) years after release just cause they like it with zero expectation of new content being delivered.

I guess as a developer I'd be happy people are constantly asking me to give them more. But the flip side is, even if they drop 17 Raids in an expansion this community has been conditioned to always feel unsatisfied with the amount of content and ask for more as soon as they burn through it.

I want to say most FPS games that do DLC average about 2-3 months between them? Somewhere in that neighborhood. And that's only MP maps and Weapon packs, which is considerably less content than what Destiny has delivered in it's DLC.

MMO's usually take longer for DLC. Something like 4-6 months on the faster side. They also generally have more content than what Destiny has but the nature of the design side is probably quite different. The only MMO that I know that does super fast additional content is GW2 at smaller content patches every 2 weeks. But that's usually a handful of encounters, holiday-esque activities, and maybe one big boss fight (typically in a pre-existing zone/area). Maybe a dungeon here and there.

gatti-man

It'll be a wasteland by December if they don't have any news on a significant update. If they don't have a expansion, free or not, the content will be stale in a month. Even if they pull off a challenge mode and heroic raids for the old raids it'll be nothing but a diversion between other major releases. Maybe that's enough for them but they'll slowly lose people permanently that way. They'll need at least a raid per few months, new strikes and crucible maps. Halloween festivals won't cut it.

Something tells me they are saving it all for Destiny 2 though.

You're being pretty unrealistic.

Destiny is in a weird place where it can't be compared well with other shooters or mmos very effectively. Most shooters the staying power is the PvP. In Destiny PvE is the main draw and Bungie doesn't focus on PvP as much. So whereas other shooters new maps and weapons would be enough there's the expectation of more PvE content to satisfy us in Destiny. The mmo comparison isn't great either because the content is so different as is the business model in many cases. MMO players want huge expansions but forget that we don't pay a hefty monthly subscription fee. Expectations have always been one of Destiny's struggles and this is question is a perfect example of that.

ocean

Banned
just a bit..

wonder how some people even survived house of wolves
I have no idea how people who don't PvP stick with this game for months between new content.

I love the new strikes and missions but they were only cool for me the first 2-3 times I did them. Then it's like nah I don't want Marks bad enough to do that again :p

Depends on what you look at.

Diablo 3 has seasons and about 2-3 major patches each year. Seasons allow you the opportunity to unlock cosmetic items and try out new legendaries, they happen..since they were introduced last august, it's gone through 4 seasons, so that's about 3 seasons a year on average? So seasons add Legendaries, which are new ways to play the game. The character you make for a season is fresh, no shared gear until the season is over. There's about...2 major patches that came out since Reaper of Souls? Latest one having Kanai cube which radically changed the way to play. But the content is plentiful enough that collecting Legendaries and mix/matching them along with adventure mode makes replayability very high.

WoW....tends to have some major patches per expansion. Warlords came out November, and the last major patch was...4 months ago. WoO only had 2 major patches. So for WoO, you have a huge amount of content and end game raids, locations, and things to do. The first patch was about 4 months in, and included a new raid, class balancing, alot of new gear, etc...then 4 months later was the final patch which again included the same. This also includes PvP Seasons which has its own gear(That isn't just reskinned).

The huge difference between WoW and Destiny however, is the amount of content that existed before, so for new players who still want to experience new things in the game have a catalogue of things to do.

In Destiny...since they remove old armor sets and weapon sets(IE Vanguard gear, crucible drops, etc.), it's not really comparable. If they had a transmog feature...

I wanna see how Bungie does it. It's not as easy as releasing some new missions that will be completed in a day. They definitely can't put in bulky amounts of content either. They CAN go back and remix the raids, but seeing as how Destiny 2 will be next year(If they keep to schedule), it'd be a waste to remix the raids UNLESS all the current content is able to be played in year 2. I mean, you saw how fast the Arena was abandoned from HoW. It's a shame really, they didn't offer new stuff for the arena.

That's another thing, the abandoning of old stuff. In WoW you could always go back and do old legendary quests or collect armor to put on display. It was possible to solo things once you got a high enough level. Then they introduced Transmog, and the amount of content possibilities that opened up in regards to doing old content to get a certain look...it was a good move.

....So back to Destiny. It's a year old and some change. The Halloween event was great, if they can keep that up, that creates a sort of content loop that's easily to repeat each year and add to it. But...at the same time by removing old armor sets, nullifying old content, it removes potential content to do in the game. If Bungie introduced Transmog, that would be huge. If they let you obtain old armor/weapon sets, again that'd go a long way to giving players content, more importantly old players will be able to feel that this content is something to do.

What Destiny does have for it, is a good gameplay loop that's addicting. Whether this is a good or bad thing is up for debate. I'm not going to give my opinions on it, but they've definitely created something that feels like it's close to being so damn good.

That was a huge post.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Anyone wanting to run Trials? I have one more match to get my Gold package on my Warlock, then can swap to my Hunter for either Gunslinger or Nightstalker.

Destiny doesn't have a PvP levelling system really, like other games do.

In COD, you level up and earn guns at certain levels, then you prestige and earn a gun permanently, and start the grind from 1 to max all over, repeat. There technically is a grind. Not sure how other shooters do it.

I know the old Halo games had a ranking system where you play better people as you move up in rank. So PvP would always be fairly competitive.

At least in my experiences.

zewone

All I know, is that anyone who thinks TLW is dead should take it for a spin again.

Most fun I had in PvP in a long time. Felt like catching up with an old friend. Paired with a quick sniper, you can be extremely successful.

The line about not thinking of it as a primary anymore really spoke to me.

Destiny doesn't have a PvP levelling system really, like other games do.

In COD, you level up and earn guns at certain levels, then you prestige and earn a gun permanently, and start the grind from 1 to max all over, repeat. There technically is a grind. Not sure how other shooters do it.

I know the old Halo games had a ranking system where you play better people as you move up in rank. So PvP would always be fairly competitive.

At least in my experiences.

It did have PvP gear though that was different. IS different. Thing is it's not unique enough aside from looks(Or Hung Jury. Fuck that gun.) to warrant a loop of sorts. Grinding the marks for PvP gear back in Year 1 was a passable loop-It was harder to get legendaries back in so doing PvP to get gear was a valid strategy.

Now? Aside from packages for possible ships or shaders, or again if you want to have a weapon with a certain look, there is no really 'hook' to it. They could introduce pvp gear that would make you be much stronger than those without pvp gear...that's one way to create a loop. But it would draw ire from the playerbase no doubt.

WoW has that-They have pvp gear that you can only get if you get certain ratings in the PvP matchmaking systems. This gear is alot better than other pvp gear, it gives you alot better stats. And it lets you completely obliterate people without PvP gear. But....again, I don't think that the Destiny playerbase would find that fun, going into a crucible match and getting completely destroyed.

All I know, is that anyone who thinks TLW is dead should take it for a spin again.

Most fun I had in PvP in a long time. Felt like catching up with an old friend. Paired with a quick sniper, you can be extremely successful.

Yeah man its still an great gun ! Dont use anything else. But still it is nerfed to much, they need to buff the accuracy to what it was pre nerf and range has to be increased a tad

how do you use it ?

fanfire from the hip or precision shots

zewone

Yeah man its still an great gun ! Dont use anything else. But still it is nerfed to much, they need to buff the accuracy to what it was pre need and range has to be increased a tad
Accuracy should not be RNG. I don't know who thought that was a good idea. That should be fixed in all hand cannons.
how do you use it ?

fanfire or precision shots
Fanfire all day. Don't ADS unless in rare cases to finish someone off.

Just hit your opponent with a grenade or a body sniper shot and switch to TLW to finish them. It also works great against rushing shotgunners.

ocean

Banned

For sure. When I heard it I thought it was meant as a jab or joke on how strong the nerf was. But watching Nghtly and Krafty use it the way they do was eye opening.

Like, it's not a joke. It's not a primary, or doesn't play like one because of the severe range limitation. But used super up close, or at medium range to finish off someone hurt by a nade or sniper body? Still a beast.

I'm pretty sure I'm not a good enough sniper to make this work for me but I'm relieved to see the pros still manage to do wonders with it. General Matsu was actually playing some sweats with it the other day (he also uses his sniper basically as his primary :p).

These guys all switch to a Pulse occasionally if the opponent team's play style demands it. But if your sniping game is on point, I can totally see TLW being a beast complement for close up situations. Wish I were that good bro.

What's up DGAF? I see everyone is still mad over trials MM, lag and loot? Is it the new iron banner? :p

I'll be up for done raiding later. One full run from hm totems on my titan and a hm oryx kill on my warlock. Also have to do one nightfall, maybe more for the darkblade helm..

Will be available 6-7 hours from now.

Might be mistaken, but I believe your firefly explosion blew up one of the explosive barrels near B, finishing off the second guy who was already hurt by the initial firefly explosion.

Edit: Or maybe a standard two for one headshot when they were lined up?

yeah, a barrel kill would have the explosion icon in the kill-list.

Me and a friend are doing PoE lvl 36. Up to round 3. Anyone else want to join in?

Psn: mandiller
That was fun! First time I've done any co-op besides matchmaking strikes, I didn't realize how much coordination is involved, it's like a completely different game from the strikes.

Still looking for a group to check out Trials. I just tried the Destiny LFG site for the first time and am not having any luck, I got into one group but they booted me immediately when they saw my light level, 293. Is that too low?

Did VoG for the 1st time last night for NTTE. What a good raid that is/was but everyone being over 300light level made it a bit easy.

The 2 missions after Atheon were annoying though.

That was fun! First time I've done any co-op besides matchmaking strikes, I didn't realize how much coordination is involved, it's like a completely different game from the strikes.

Still looking for a group to check out Trials. I just tried the Destiny LFG site for the first time and am not having any luck, I got into one group but they booted me immediately when they saw my light level, 293. Is that too low?

290 is the recommended light level, however most people will be around 310. Lots of groups don't want to take any low levels or first timers because the MM is supposed to be skill based now. But I have seen many 310s that are just complete garbage. Booting someone is just plain stupid.

Zocano

With the tools they have now (or have shown they are willing to use and nothing else), all they can give for top-end PvP gear is fancy looking god-roll weapons. It won't "break" PvP and will at least give some sort of satisfaction of getting them. They're stuck with the handful of weapon archetypes they currently have, have clearly shown they aren't willing to break out of them, and are stuck using pretty much only hitscan weapons. So there isn't a lot they can really do unless they actually put in the resources to make different shit. Ultimately, it's a safe solution to a problem that should have a better answer.

I think top-end PvP gear *should* be heavily oriented towards PvP and give you perks that excel in PvP environments. What they would be? I dunno. Could it break the meta? Sure. Will it make a catch-22 of needing end-game PvP gear to get end-game PvP gear? Probably. That's the weird issue with having PvP oriented gear and actual loot/numbers affecting PvP.

With the tools they have now (or have shown they are willing to use and nothing else), all they can give for top-end PvP gear is fancy looking god-roll weapons. It won't "break" PvP and will at least give some sort of satisfaction of getting them. They're stuck with the handful of weapon archetypes they currently have, have clearly shown they aren't willing to break out of them, and are stuck using pretty much only hitscan weapons. So there isn't a lot they can really do unless they actually put in the resources to make different shit. Ultimately, it's a safe solution to a problem that should have a better answer.

I think top-end PvP gear *should* be heavily oriented towards PvP and give you perks that excel in PvP environments. What they would be? I dunno. Could it break the meta? Sure. Will it make a catch-22 of needing end-game PvP gear to get end-game PvP gear? Probably. That's the weird issue with having PvP oriented gear and actual loot/numbers affecting PvP.

Just start off with a perk to the side(Or replacing one of the possible rolls) that says 'In PvP provides 50+resistance' or whatever. For weapons it'd be 'In PvP provides 50+ damage'.

Graaaanted they'd have to use the light system. So maybe 'In PvP provides 30 light'? Then adjust the curve so it's actually noticeable when you have a low light level, and not just a 'Oh if you're 290 you can compete with the big boys'.

If Luke is around anywhere, I'm curious what you guys will be using as metrics to determine if the changes for Trials will be considered an improvement or not.

Like, obviously there is going to be complaints in any competitive PvP setting, so it's hard for us to see exactly what is happening.

I'm assuming you guys are looking at trials bounties completed and stuff like that.

Basically, I just hope Deej actually talks about it in the next BWU.

Other than that, the more I read about it, the more I think it feels like the "middle class" of PvP players has been dissolved.

This has been my point, the middle has been shafted. I'm probably in a small minority but having bounties that a blind person can complete takes away the sense of achievement you got from not getting to Mercury but still getting gold, now you're forever binning cards

I don't look at reddit or the Bungie forums, so I am curious if the general sentiment about PvP in 2.0 is as negative as it (deservedly) is here? If so I'd really like Bungie to address it soon. If they actually do quarterly balancing it would be December that it would happen. So they should at least say they are taking a look at it and doing testing right now.

The game is basically Destiny as designed by Reddit, they love the new Meta as they're not getting killed by a Handcannon and they can easily get Silver and Gold packages. It won't be changing anywhere near to what it was

Zocano

Just start off with a perk to the side(Or replacing one of the possible rolls) that says 'In PvP provides 50+resistance' or whatever. For weapons it'd be 'In PvP provides 50+ damage'.

That would make PvP miserable for those that don't play very often. They'd need to splinter matchmaking into tiers based on how much "Darkness" stat a player has because otherwise you'd just see top-end players 1 shot newbies with any weapon. But unlike WoW that splinters up the leveling PvP, every "tier" is still just the same shootbang with nearly identical loadouts across the board.

The game gets much more boring when I run out of 3oC. No other reason to do anything besides Nightfall (or raid but I don't have time for that or can't find anyone to do it usually).

Even when I did have a bunch of 3oC, at some point it started only giving me armor and usually not even for my class. I'm pretty sure I got 1 weapon in my last 70 or so 3oC and probably 10 or so armor pieces, 6 or so which were not even for my class.

And now I have almost no 3oC left, nor any strange coins to get more. So....meh.

Edit: Strike streak is a bunch of bullshit. That's the way to fix my problem I think. Reward strange coins/3oC/better stuff for streaks to keep me playing.

Toki767

Can't decide whether I want the Arc or Solar sword. I feel like more enemies have a Solar shield than an Arc shield. But Solar weapons are way more common than Arc weapons.

That would make PvP miserable for those that don't play very often. They'd need to splinter matchmaking into tiers based on how much "Darkness" stat a player has because otherwise you'd just see top-end players 1 shot newbies with any weapon. But unlike WoW that splinters up the leveling PvP, every "tier" is still just the same shootbang with nearly identical loadouts across the board.

Like a sort of ranking system.

Halo 5 did it right. In every playlist you choose(Except warzone), you have to play 10 matches before you're 'placed' in a rank with like players.

....However, PvP balance is another thing. It's a complete mess.

Zocano

Like a sort of ranking system.

Halo 5 did it right. In every playlist you choose(Except warzone), you have to play 10 matches before you're 'placed' in a rank with like players.

....However, PvP balance is another thing. It's a complete mess.

I mean the game needs that strict ranking system (I was always happy with Halo 3's, thought it was just right).

But I was specifically trying to discuss what to reward top-end PvP players. It's still a loot game. They should get *something* and players should try and chase *something*. Maybe just super crazy cosmetic stuff.

edit: Or just different interesting weapons that let you play differently without destroying balance (like the arc sword?)

Can't decide whether I want the Arc or Solar sword. I feel like more enemies have a Solar shield than an Arc shield. But Solar weapons are way more common than Arc weapons.

SOLAR.

edit: Arc sword advantage is that it can hit more than one enemy and looks cooler. So if there's a group of trash enemies Arc is good. It can basically spread the damage between multiple enemies since it shoots out a (slow ass) projectile along with the sword strike. If you want to kick some ass though on any single enemy Solar is definitely stronger. Just don't use it in a mob of thrall because they'll usually kick your ass.

GutZ31

Arc is rather weak in pve, but pretty good in pvp.
Solar is fantastic at pve, and ok at pvp.
Void is fantastic at pve, and ok at pvp.

Solar is concentrated destruction on one target, while Void is Area of Effect destruction on many targets around you.

Arc shoots a projectile disk of arc energy, that has minor AoE effects.
It is powerful enough to one shot most red bar normal mobs, but is weak against yellow bars.
Can one shot in pvp with its projectile, and it tracks a bit on targets near its flight path.

SnakeEyes

Banned
Anyone noticing that Incendiary Blade is no longer working on Hunter Throwing Knives? I've notice it not proc on 3 different occasions in Trials.

I mean the game needs that strict ranking system (I was always happy with Halo 3's, thought it was just right).

But I was specifically trying to discuss what to reward top-end PvP players. It's still a loot game. They should get *something* and players should try and chase *something*. Maybe just super crazy cosmetic stuff.

edit: Or just different interesting weapons that let you play differently without destroying balance (like the arc sword?)

Yeah.

I was thinking about that point. Right now, as a player who has little interest in PvP, there is no point in doing Crucible. My interest comes in Iron Banner, and ToO, to collect the rewards that has to offer.

HOWEVER. If I wanted to delve deeply into pvp, there is no reason to outside of the satisfaction that I'm better at it than other players. There is no carrot on the stick so to speak. Sure there's mercury, but that gear is the same that you can get by completing the bounties. The icon? Sure, but it doesn't affect how I play.

It's even worse if you only play crucible. Right now, there is no reason to do PvP(Again, unless you really like PvP). You can't 'grind' for crucible only ships/shaders because it's RNG. All the PvP armor can be brought with the mark system, which again is earnable in PvE. Sure you might want a Party Crasher or whatever, but you can't work towards that. It's RNG. There is nothing to work for in Crucible.

And it sucks. Because if they do add something for crucible, chances are it'll be easily accessible. Yeah there's the exotic shotgun that involves doing PvP, or the swords that involve some pvp, but that isn't enough. It's just a side thing. 'Oh by the way go kill 25 guardians with this sword.'. 'Oh by the way get 100% kills with the TLW equipped.' And that's it.

For PvE there's the gradual increase of power offered by the raid(That has it's own problems), for me it's levelling gear I like the look of. I found my perfect boots from ToO, and I'll probably collect other pieces just for the look of. That's my carrot so to speak. But some people who have done HM probably don't care for the look, so for them it's nothing worth doing.

Man. When you dissect stuff like this it really makes you realize things.

Neuro

I am a pretty average pvp player, just wanted to know why cant the system matchmake people with similar K/D ratios?

ocean

Banned
Iron Banner and Trials boots have Second Wind (15 seconds of super fast running and weapon handling every time you respawn). This is way more useful in PvP than PvE and doesn't get mentioned enough.

It's the first armor I've seen with PvP specific perks. We need more of that. Maybe Gauntlets with two different reload perks: normal _____ Loader, and a Specialist ______ Loader which makes that weapon type reload significantly more quickly at the expense of slower than normal reload on your other weapon types (hyper fast pulse reload but it'll slow down your special for ex).

I dunno. I'm no game designer. But I'd love to see more PvP perks.

Well the only thing to realize is that loot/RNG/highly variable stats + PvP doesn't blend.

Yeah. If they had set gear, like, 'Earn this radical sniper rifle with great stats and its model is unique when you earn XXXX ranking/kills/whatever', then that'd be something to work for.

Hoping that you get a party crasher, and then hoping that it rolls correctly...and then it's like, why. Such a weird position Bungie has put themselves into.

It's like I mentioned before, Destiny is in this weird position where it's almost perfect in regards to these systems but it's just a step away from it.

Iron Banner and Trials boots have Second Wind (15 seconds of super fast running and weapon handling every time you respawn). This is way more useful in PvP than PvE and doesn't get mentioned enough.

It's the first armor I've seen with PvP specific perks. We need more of that. Maybe Gauntlets with two different reload perks: normal _____ Loader, and a Specialist ______ Loader which makes that weapon type reload significantly more quickly at the expense of slower than normal reload on your other weapon types (hyper fast pulse reload but it'll slow down your special for ex).

Yeah, those are small steps. It's a step in the right direction, but they need to go further. If the choice is 'X Class has increased armor' or '15 second speed boost', I would take the first choice every time. And the speed boost is pretty negligible I found, it's...not that great. Now if it let you run like crazy....that'd be fun.

cool if I can find some people that want to run it really fast I will let you know.

no use getting it till i have a group.
I will try to save it when the reset occurs. If I am awake during that time...which is most likely..maybe..

Anyone noticing that Incendiary Blade is no longer working on Hunter Throwing Knives? I've notice it not proc on 3 different occasions in Trials.
When I played yesterday it worked fine for me..should be a 1 shot kill as long as the shields are gone right? Don't remember exactly..or did I always get a headstab when I used the throwing knife...don't remember

They're starting to switch it around, the trials gear has super energy from revives with the helm, ashes to assets has been moved to gauntlets, chest pieces give extra armour and the boots like you said have second wind and a couple of other perks

They're starting to switch it around, the trials gear has super energy from revives with the helm, ashes to assets has been moved to gauntlets, chest pieces give extra armour and the boots like you said have second wind and a couple of other perks

But everything has increased sidearm ammo and sidearm reload. What are you trying to tell me Bungie :(

What new guns can they add?

Bow and Arrow with different elemental damages would be cool. Hopefully those will be the year 3 swords.
Blow dart gun to poison? It could be strong poison but don't run just before or jump while shooting it or you have a chance to choke and die. It's a year 3 Touch Of Malice =)

Some kind of tornado or gravity gun to kill/knock back mobs. A Taken like gun/flash bang gun that damages + blinds enemies?
Some type of implant zombie gun that gives you quick control of an enemy after shooting it turning it into a mindless bomb.

I don't know but I hope they get creative along with the normal crap.

Top Bottom