• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Shito

no the stupid Pulse rifle from FWC.
Btw, messed a bit with it yesterday and:
* it does NOT refill ammo when shooting at a tethered target on a non-crit spot (even though the game shows the yellow crit indication)
* it melts the walkers

Concerning the first point, it's good to note that even though a tethered enemy will generate crit values when shooting on it, shooting a real crit spot on it still does MORE damage...

GhaleonEB

I get pissed every time I think how Bungie nerfed Strange Coins and weapon parts for no reason.

Those duders really need to communicate.

I'm sure they had reasons (probably some portion of the population sitting on piles of them) but the weapon part nerf in particular really hurt progress for anyone without a pile, which they didn't take into account.

My Titan has one weapon part. One. It is his precious.

LordofPwn

did 1 character in Trials, just don't see the reason to subject myself to it. Excited for Raids on tuesday but thats about all the destiny i'll get in this week unless something new is discovered.

Finally beat Oryx for the first time. Felt pretty darn good, especially since we have a lot of trouble getting 6 together.

We can finally get our ToM's. Is the Touch a solid weapon for the raid in general or mostly just a situational thing?

LTWood12

Finally beat Oryx for the first time. Felt pretty darn good, especially since we have a lot of trouble getting 6 together.

We can finally get our ToM's. Is the Touch a solid weapon for the raid in general or mostly just a situational thing?

It is a huge help with the last two raid encounters.

MaKTaiL

It is awesome for the witches and Oryx. Specially on Hard.

Pretty sure that is "just" the quest to do the last vanilla story mission and get the rifle as a drop?

Sorry - the quest they are referring to is the quest to get "no time to explain" the year 2 exotic based on the strangers rifle.

There is also an old quest in the abandoned quest log to do the original vanilla story mission - they are not linked (i.e. you dont have to do the old one to get the new one)

Ahh just NTTE :)

I was going to say, another quest?! Safe for now

ocean

Banned
That's kind of annoying, I guess it's the same for Truth & Thunderlord, I assume the Last Word is only droppable because it's actually needed for the quest to get the Chaperone
I got Truth at 310 from a Legendary Engram.

Random game is random.

It's only useful in the last two encounters of King's Fall.
I guess if you have a Titan bubble with blessing of light you could use it outside the raid, but it's just not worth the trouble.
It's a tool more than a weapon.
I think it's pretty shitty for the amount of work you have to do to get it.

E92 M3

I'm sure they had reasons (probably some portion of the population sitting on piles of them) but the weapon part nerf in particular really hurt progress for anyone without a pile, which they didn't take into account.

I can't find any logical reasoning where it would be a smart move. Only a very small minority of people have a surplus of materials/coins. Most don't.

Destiny shouldn't be a game about hoarding and that's how they want us to play. Hoarding has served me well since day 1, and that's a damn shame.

Bogeypop

Seems morning Spindle runs have died down. I'll check back periodically and see if there are anymore takers later in the afternoon. In the meantime send those PMs so I'll have a healthy list of people to do runs!

Kyne

Seems morning Spindle runs have died down. I'll check back periodically and see if there are anymore takers later in the afternoon.

will definitely be from my end.

It's funny.. even though the ToM is situational, as/with a titan bubble it becomes this viable thing you can use outside the raid.

E92 M3

It'll be fun when the Christmas noobs enter the tower. Always fun seeing people with low light and grimoire. Destiny needs fresh blood.

GhaleonEB

I can't find any logical reasoning where it would be a smart move. Only a very small minority of people have a surplus of materials/coins. Most don't.

Destiny shouldn't be a game about hoarding and that's how they want us to play. Hoarding has served me well since day 1, and that's a damn shame.

Well, we can't find the logical reasoning because we don't see the data that Bungie sees, so we can't know the reasoning for the change. Their stated goal is to ensure that all parts of the economy are valuable. Personally I think they achieved that with weapon parts by making them part of the infusion process (and charging 10 parts per infusion), but they felt they had to do something anyways.

I don't get it either. If they viewed some portion of the population having large amounts of weapon parts as a problem, the ideal solution is one that does not punish players for having them, but entices them to burn them down for a reward. Bungie did this with the increased faction rep for turning some in but rather than wait to see the impact that had on hoarders, they nerfed the incoming stream at the same time. They should have done the former, not the latter, and seen how it played out. And in any event, picked a solution that did not hit those without a pile so hard.

(There's the separate question as to whether a subset of the population hoarding weapon parts was a problem that needed fixing; I don't think it was, but then I didn't see the data that drove the decision.)

stb

Seems morning Spindle runs have died down. I'll check back periodically and see if there are anymore takers later in the afternoon.

Thanks for continuing to do these runs!

Possible for me to ask for a slot for one our (me, captscience, Haybro, spyder, GRIP, Dave_6) group? He applied for a GAF account months ago, but hasn't been approved yet.

Anyway, if you end up doing more runs and there's a slot, his PSN handle is Capt_Verde. I'm pretty sure he's on now.

Interviews are terrifying. Especially a 3-man one. I think I did good. Please give me the job. Lol

How is trials everyone? I was playing to much Assassin Creed this weekend.

jediyoshi

This has to be the case. On my main before the nerf, I sent all my weapon parts for faction rep and I've never gotten a 'normal' amount to spare again. Post nerf, in getting an alt character from 20 -> 40 -> LL 300, I've never had a weapon parts shortage.

Deku Tree

Well, we can't find the logical reasoning because we don't see the data that Bungie sees, so we can't know the reasoning for the change. Their stated goal is to ensure that all parts of the economy are valuable. Personally I think they achieved that with weapon parts by making them part of the infusion process (and charging 10 parts per infusion), but they felt they had to do something anyways.

I don't get it either. If they viewed some portion of the population having large amounts of weapon parts as a problem, the ideal solution is one that does not punish players for having them, but entices them to burn them down for a reward. Bungie did this with the increased faction rep for turning some in but rather than wait to see the impact that had on hoarders, they nerfed the incoming stream at the same time. They should have done the former, not the latter, and seen how it played out. And in any event, picked a solution that did not hit those without a pile so hard.

(There's the separate question as to whether a subset of the population hoarding weapon parts was a problem that needed fixing; I don't think it was, but then I didn't see the data that drove the decision.)

My guess based on what Deej said in a past BWU is that someone at Bugie thought the "mean" number of weapon parts per player was too high. But they should have been looking at the "mode." So they screwed a bunch of players with no weapons parts.

Not sure why having a few whales playing the game and hoarding weapons parts is a problem anyway.

L961Hh1.gif

Yeah...the lag this weekend was atrocious.

Pretty funny though. I remember that episode of Lost.

E92 M3

And that's the problem in itself, they are so secretive with their data and are dead scared to share their rationale. I wouldn't be as upset if they came out and said the X,Y and Z are the causes for these changes. We want to accomplish X with this. Treat their community like adults. I think people would give them a lot more respect for that.

Secondly, the infusion system needs a lot of tweaking as well. In it's current form, upgrading weapons can become a huge hassle and waste of resources.

Falifax

Watching triplewreck and he looks so down, I don't think he's really enjoying Destiny anymore

I'm trying to remember the last time I had fun playing crucible solo.

Plus he's been playing for almost 12 hours and a chunk of it was carrying people in Trials.

Watching triplewreck and he looks so down, I don't think he's really enjoying Destiny anymore

And thus starts the ripple effect.

Once streamers realize they aren't enjoying themselves anymore, they're going to take a lot of their audience with them when they go.

It's an odd choice.

Like, there's 3 types of people.

Those that have thousands of weapon parts, and hundreds of strange coins. This nerf doesn't affect them at all, they'll continue to have that.

Then there are those that have some amount of these items. They don't struggle to upgrade parts or buy Xur things, but they don't have enough to constantly buy his wares weekly or to upgrade every thing consistently. I used to be in this camp. Used to.

Which leads me to the 3rd type-new players, and those who didn't have alotta parts/coins stocked up. This absolutely hurts them, and makes it a much bigger grind to get these things.

So, why did Bungie do it? It's easy to infer why, and we don't need data. The people who have hundreds of coins and thousands of parts, Bungie doesn't need to retain that base. That is most likely the hardcore base, the one that players over 20 hours a week. This nerf wasn't for them or because of them.

For the huge fans of destiny, those that had sufficient parts and strange coins but not an excess amount, again this nerf wasn't for them. At the rate these players play and get coins/parts, will be a fast enough rate to sustain the amount of coins/parts. But eventually these players will run out of parts and coins(Like I did), and that puts us...

...in camp 3. Personally, there've been moments where I've taken huge breaks from Destiny. I didn't grind the weekly strikes back when the coins were awarded. So I'm in the position of having <100 parts, and about 10-30 coins each week. This nerf hurts players like me the most. It also hurts new players coming into the game.

So why did Bungie do this? ...from a design perspective, it's to keep the player playing. Suddenly you want to grind out some parts in order to upgrade an exotic you brought from Xur. Or you want to grind coins(Which are harder to grind since it's RNG) because Xur is right around the corner.

Their hope with this change is to make casual players into hardcore players, they probably see more time spent into the game=more likely to continue playing the game. I say this because there is literally no reason to nerf weapon parts and strange coins. They keep speaking of player economy but there is no trading that would make someone with 5000 weapon parts and 1000 strange coins be able to control the flow of exotics into the playerbase, it only affects themselves.

It's the same reason why blue engrams can come decrypted-if a player earned encrypted engrams consistently, that'd mean levelling the cryptarch fast, and that carrot on a stick becomes a carrot in your hand.

It's a bad change intended to keep people playing.

It's even worse as they let you trade in weapon parts for rep/strange coins for 3oC, that alot of people just dumped into these things in the beginning of the expansion, and then 2 weeks later come out with the nerf.

Kyne

he was sherpa'ing Cozmo_BNG last night.. seemed to sort of enjoy himself. It must have been really hard to play with a Community Manager without spouting out "GET THEM TO FIX THISSSSS" every 60 seconds.

Gammacide

He's not alone.
Yeah, this is where I am. I'm not nearly as excited for filling my exotics collection as I was in year one or grinding the raid to maaaaybe get better gear. I'm just tired of it in general. It's fun with my regular raid group because they're fun, but otherwise I'm fairly done for now. Plus I just got NieR because my hype is up! :)

I'm trying to remember the last time I had fun playing crucible solo.

Plus he's been playing for almost 12 hours and a chunk of it was carrying people in Trials.

That's where playing a game has morphed into work (albeit hopefully well-paid!)

For me personally, as I have played through and completed each piece of content, the incentive to keep playing has been to "hoard" materials in preparation for the next piece of content...to help me keep up with people that can spend more time per week than me.

As we don't know of any new content, I think we lose one of the key incentives to keep playing.

The "gaps" between being max level at one release and the end game level of the next release have not been *that* large...and always constructed so that hoards of materials don't let you brute force straight from one to the other...so it feels like getting "close" to max level is enough...and then you can walk away.

I'm hoping to get a HM oryx kill at some point in the coming week and then I can play other games and just dip in to help people if they want it.

Bogeypop

Thanks for continuing to do these runs!

Possible for me to ask for a slot for one our (me, captscience, Haybro, spyder, GRIP, Dave_6) group? He applied for a GAF account months ago, but hasn't been approved yet.

Anyway, if you end up doing more runs and there's a slot, his PSN handle is Capt_Verde. I'm pretty sure he's on now.

You're Berried_Treasure on PSN, right? You've got like super ultra VIP access considering you took me along on my first VoG run when I was just starting out. But I'm taking a break for now. Going to hopefully let those Black Spindle PMs pile up as I've been doing 85% waiting and 15% Sherpa'ing this morning, and I'd like it to be the reverse of that.

That being said reminder to send me a PM to get on the Black Spindle help Waiting List for later this afternoon.

GhaleonEB

And that's the problem in itself, they are so secretive with their data and are dead scared to share their rationale. I wouldn't be as upset if they came out and said the X,Y and Z are the causes for these changes. We want to accomplish X with this. Treat their community like adults. I think people would give them a lot more respect for that.

Yeah, I agree. I'd really like to see the investment team take the same approach as Derek has with the sandbox: He provides a stated goal and then reasoning for why changes are made. We can agree or not, but it makes the changes feel far less arbitrary. With the investment/economy side of things, we get very little background and so punishing things like weapon part throttles just feel punishing.

I.. don't really get the complaint about Strange Coins. I still get a bunch and I'm not a hoarder nor did I have a huge stock of them before the nerf. I just do some bounties throughout the course of my play, not focusing on them but just picking up the ones that I'll likely complete while doing whatever is I want to do.

Weapon Parts though, I'm consistently starved of. I've gone back and destroyed all but my most loved/rare Y1 Legendary Weapons for parts (Only have Praedyth's, Atheon's Epilogue, and VoC left iirc) and a similar situation for my Y1 Exotics.

Top Bottom