• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Frenden

Banned
Anyone wanna funion/fun run Trials? I just want to do the bounties and if we make it further, we make it further. No pressure.

WipedOut

That's their new weapon design philosophy, they don't want "op" weapons anymore even if that means giving boring ones. The raid snipe and machine gun are pretty good PvP wise at least.

Raid Pulse and LMG are the only winners. The rest are pretty meh. That LMG just melts wizards.

I posed this question on Reddit, but I'm going to ask it here as well.

What would you guys think if there were no weekly loot restriction?

What if you could run the raids, nightfall, weeklies, as many times as you wanted and you got loot every time.

I feel like if I'm not guaranteed a drop, the least Bungie could let me do is try again at my own convenience and not some arbitrary rule they set when the loot system was so different.

I feel like the weekly loot restrictions were put in place because you only needed 4 pieced of gear to make it to the max level.

Now you need 10, and each of those 10 only has a 10% chance of being... well you know the RNG on RNG conversation, you don't need me to repeat it.

Anyway, if that went away, what would you guys think?

I'm already burnt out of raiding. Tho I'm interested in these "challenge modes".

Idk I don't feel like playing Destiny anymore. There's nothing wrong with that. Nothing really keeping me playing. Used to just play crucible and that was enough to keep me playing. But I don't enjoy pvp anymore...

Fallout 4 soon @&@ I want to keep playing destiny but I feel that the systems in Destiny are actively pushing me away

I really hate when people say this game is a "grind". What, exactly, are you people grinding? And why? It's only a "grind" if you make it a grind. You can do every single thing in Destiny without "grinding" anything.

These are my definitions:

Grinding, for me, is doing things more often than you find enjoyable to get something (XP, gear, mats, etc.)
Farming is doing something on repeat over and over, like farming for Grasp of Malok or Glimmer back in the Exclusion Zone. It's not mutually exclusive from grinding.

So yeah, grinding is a mental thing, but it's also a personal thing. I don't find mining planetary mats enjoyable. That's how I feel about getting 10 rare planetary mats that take on average 300 nodes Whether I farm it for 3 hours straight or spread it out over 2 weeks, it's still a grind.

That's how I feel about getting 25 sword kills in Crucible, when I'm terrible at it, and want a Sword for PvE, not PvP.
That's how I feel about waiting for War Sats on Mars.

And that's how I feel about Oryx. I'm doing it more often than I find enjoyable to get anything more than 2 shards.

The only way to do every single thing in Destiny without "grinding" (doing something more than you feel in enjoyable or rewarding) is either to:
  • a) enjoy every activity the game offers, no matter how tedious (planetary mats) or how demanding (Crucible Quest) OR
  • b) not care about any progress, when progress and rewards make the rest of the game much better.
There are people who only play for the rewards, and quit once they get them. But that ain't me. I play to play with things, not to get things. I didn't stop playing when I got Gjallarhorn or Hawkmoon. I played more because I had fun toys. Bungie is putting all the fun toys in Year 2 behind lots of and lots of grind.

Nova bombs, how do they work?

yN4kYe.gif

Good run again today Akai and Ikkarus. Loads of Mercury runs again this week, still think the current Pulse + Sniper camp meta is shit.

Sniper is good because of the almost auto aim like aa and no zoom scope, if it could res snipe it would be borderline op.
Yeah. But a lot of the snipers have good AA right now. Haven't tried no scoping yet. No scoping was my favorite thing to do in Halo. Miss it.

LTWood12

Remember when I went off about the weapon parts when the day the patch hit? So salty that I ended up banned. Most people seemed like they didn't think it was a big deal because they were sitting on a pile. Seems the numbers are finally catching up to everyone.

Fallout 4 soon @&@ I want to keep playing destiny but I feel that the systems in Destiny are actively pushing me away

Because the unintentionally are. Its like Bungie doesn't want me to play. I think my time with this game are nearing its end.

I don't enjoy a lot of it anymore.

Lnkn52

Remember when I went off about the weapon parts when the day the patch hit? So salty that I ended up banned. Most people seemed like they didn't think it was a big deal because they were sitting on a pile. Seems the numbers are finally catching up to everyone.
No one likes it when you're right lol

lt519

I think the Hadium Flakes sentiment is spot on. I refuse to run around looking for 50 of those things. But with the NF rewards buffed up to 310, blue engrams dropping up to 300, and exotics dropping at 310 it's very easy to run one or two NM KF raids and already be ready for HM raid. We had a 302 running HM with us last week and he was totally fine and made it up to 306 just by running that one HM.

You only get nothing when you are above 310 and you may get a 315 armor when you already have a 317. Nobody I've ever played with has gotten less than two raid drops out of the available 5 so there is no getting "literally nothing" in a raid. When you reach the point of getting "nothing" because you already have higher level gear you aren't grinding because to me grinding is repeating lower level content to open the gates to higher level content. There is no higher level content right now that requires grinding from 313 to 315, etc.

It's only "grindy" for the people that want to get to 320. That's the equivalent of needlessly grinding an RPG character up to level 99 just for completion sake. At that point you can't really complain about the game being grindy.

My 2 cents anyway, I thought the level progression was perfect and after HM it's just up to you whether you want to keep grinding out higher light levels that you don't need.

Lots of people were salty. Anyone worth anything would've seen this coming a mile away.

You must've been uber pissed tho to get banned. Lmfao

I posed this question on Reddit, but I'm going to ask it here as well.

What would you guys think if there were no weekly loot restriction?

What if you could run the raids, nightfall, weeklies, as many times as you wanted and you got loot every time.

I feel like if I'm not guaranteed a drop, the least Bungie could let me do is try again at my own convenience and not some arbitrary rule they set when the loot system was so different.

I feel like the weekly loot restrictions were put in place because you only needed 4 pieced of gear to make it to the max level.

Now you need 10, and each of those 10 only has a 10% chance of being... well you know the RNG on RNG conversation, you don't need me to repeat it.

Anyway, if that went away, what would you guys think?

I think people would run the content into the ground in the first couple of weeks and then quit playing. I think if they let you have a chance at unique special gear once a week, and then maybe implement a token system for same light level but less special gear that would be cool. When I say unique special gear I mean cool looking gear that isn't a retread and has entirely unique perks that nothing else in the game has. The token system style gear could be the garbage that KF hands out now.

Bogeypop

I still have over 5000 weapon parts...

ich00

I was sitting on about 500, I have 20 now. I retroactively agree. I didn't think it would have been that big of a nerf, it was.

Part of the problem is I like messing around with different gun too, but that wasn't an issue until the nerf.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
But the most Grindy element is the foundation of their progression system: light. Can play raids with no progress upward. Can literally get nothing from hard mode finish 3x a week. If you do manage to get higher light gear as a drop, hard to infuse since you probably need to grind engrams for weapon parts. If you don't raid much then you don't have much avenue to progress at all besides grinding engrams and inching your way up

Hell just equipping everything to highest light before deciding engrams is boring and feels like a grind although technically it's not by definition

It's pretty Grindy dude.

That's not really a grind. You do hard mode 3 times, okay, but WHY are you doing hard mode 3 times a week? You're not aiming for anything other than a new gun/light level which doesn't really impact anything or allow you to do anything you couldn't do w/o the grinding (let's not get into whether that's actually grinding - I don't think something that is 5 or so hours a week is really grinding).

I guess I am just comparing it to other games where there is a very real grind in order to progress. For example, in many MMOs (or mobile games, for that matter, or many other RPGs/ARPGS,etc), you have to replay the same shit over and over and over and over, for hours/days/weeks on end, just to reach level cap, and at THAT point, you can start doing other things that were previously unavailable for you.

lt519

I was sitting on about 500, I have 20 now. I retroactively agree. I didn't think it would have been that big of a nerf, it was.

Part of the problem is I like messing around with different gun too, but that wasn't an issue until the nerf.

I think your activities themselves have probably contributed to the lower number of parts. People aren't running strikes and CoO as much. Stopping in for a raid, NF, and some crucible isn't going to net you the same amount of Weapon Parts that playing through the story for the first time would. When I ran my alt through the story post patch and started with 0 weapon parts I never ran into a problem until post game when I've started doing activities that don't have high engram drop rates.

I was down to almost 0 weapon parts and I'm back up to 275 just from running my alt through the course of the story. But to be fair he was using weapons from my other characters so I never used any weapon parts during that re-run so maybe that's why I never ran into a problem (;

X-Frame

I'm pretty burnt out as is, and I haven't even made it to Hard Mode.

They said the next patch should hit in November, "before Thanksgiving, if all goes well." I'm hoping it's a big QoL patch just like the early patches in Year 1 were. Stuff like shaders affecting Class Items again (neon green goes with nothing) and weapon parts andmore to go along with their announced changes.

I'm hoping that this patch is where they either rework or buff the old subclasses to compete with the new ones. Or just to update terribly implemented or just bad perks. Outside of a few very select and random changes, none of the old subclasses were buffed or tweaked at all in Year 1.

The majority of the subclass changes were a result of a bug/exploit or not intended side-effect (e.g. Hunter's Swarm Grenade exploit, or the line attacks penetrating the Ward of Dawn).

I'd be very refreshing if say half of the Striker's or Gunslinger's perks were changed or buffed and the old subclasses felt new again. It's like when Bungie buffed and changed old exotic weapons in last November's exotic update -- lots of exotics suddenly felt brand new again and with renewed power and utility.

Another problem is you get hell of a lot more armor engrams then weapon engrams. Then add on the WPs nerf on top of that. Ew

At least you can still grind PoE for the correct amount of WPs if you want.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Does anyone here wear The Stag helmet? I've had a few and got another at 310 but never tried it. Main perk seems underwhelming.

LiK

Another problem is you get hell of a lot more armor engrams then weapon engrams. Then add on the WPs nerf on top of that. Ew

At least you can still grind PoE for the correct amount of WPs if you want.

I dunno what data they used to determine to nerf weapon parts. anyone who plays the game gets a shitload more armor parts than weapons.

Xeyark

Unconfirmed Member
Now that I've finally finished the raid, I wonder what everyone thinks about raid weapons and which should be kept? I ended up getting:

305 Scout Rifle
307 Heavy Machine Gun
305 Rocket Launcher

I'm liking all three of them, what does everyone else think about them?

Bogeypop

You play a game on hard to make it better kappa

I play a game on hard cos it's more fun than just easily breezing through it, git gud. I wonder if Fallout 4 will have a Survival Mode like New Vegas did... You should play Fallout 4 on the hardest difficulty with me, Lnkn
N2pymBg.jpg

ich00

I think your activities themselves have probably contributed to the lower number of parts. People aren't running strikes and CoO as much. Stopping in for a raid, NF, and some crucible isn't going to net you the same amount of Weapon Parts that playing through the story for the first time would. When I ran my alt through the story post patch and started with 0 weapon parts I never ran into a problem until post game when I've started doing activities that don't have high engram drop rates.

I was down to almost 0 weapon parts and I'm back up to 275 just from running my alt through the course of the story (but to be fair he was using weapons from my other characters so I never used any weapon parts during that re-run)

That's definitely a factor. Although I never went crazy running strikes and CoO, I'm not getting the engrams at the same rate as when TTK came out. I'm starting to work on my alts now and slowy gaining wps back, but I'm not feeling the grind of doing all those quests again.

Now that I've finally finished the raid, I wonder what everyone thinks about raid weapons and which should be kept? I ended up getting:

305 Scout Rifle
307 Heavy Machine Gun
305 Rocket Launcher

Totally depends on the perks. Scout with Full Auto is nice, HMG with Persistence. Rocket Launcher is pretty much meh.

I play a game on hard cos it's more fun than just easily breezing through it, git gud. I wonder if Fallout 4 will have a Survival Mode like New Vegas did... You should play Fallout 4 on the hardest difficulty with me, Lnkn
N2pymBg.jpg
It does. It also has a mode built in where the harder difficulty you play. You will go against certain enemies that are really hard to beat. You have a better chance of getting really good drops. Kind of like Diablo in a sense.

305 Scout Rifle
307 Heavy Machine Gun
305 Rocket Launcher

From what I've seen/heard the HMG is godly.

Lnkn52

N2pymBg.jpg
By playing meaning watching you stream it. I'll join.

lt519

305 Scout Rifle
307 Heavy Machine Gun
305 Rocket Launcher

Never got the scout, but the HMG is amazing especially with a good second perk. Very useful against solar enemies in a lot of high end content. Being able to empty a clip, switch to your primary, then 5 seconds later switch back to the HMG and have it fully loaded is absolutely amazing. The cocoon perk is an amazing perk for Heavy Weapons.

Rocket Launcher is hit or miss depending on the perk you get, I had one with cluster bombs and it was fantastic for mob control. But better than any other generic RL? meh.

Edit: Cocoon is such an underrated perk. Anyone ever run with all three raid weapons and never have to reload. It's fantastic.

Kyne

with the holiday game lineup coming closer Bungie really does need to take a step back and evaluate where they want this game to head. If they don't make any changes soon then eventually interest will die off and they'll be looking at some pretty poor numbers. Right now it's only the "1%" that are getting fed up, but eventually that number will grow.

it's not rocket science either.

pvp:
buff handcannon accuracy/range
buff autorifle damage
nerf sniper AA
nerf shotgun range
nerf pulse rifle range
nerf Sunbreaker armor
nerf Sunbreaker/Stormcaller super duration
fix Nightstalker glitch
fix crucible/iron banner drop-rate
re think the ToO algorithm; the lag is real and messing with competitive play

pve:
fix oryx HM drops
stop timegating all these quests
release challenge modes

misc:
open up the loot table for the rest of the year 2 exotics
allow us to decrypt exotic engrams at 320 if you're 311+
--

boom everything is better.

edit: okay in retrospect I'm asking a lot and I'm sure this isn't as easy to do as "boom" but even a little bit on this list would be a huge step forward. We just need some kind of indication that Bungie will take action sooner than later. They said they wanted to be more involved with stuff like this and I think a lot of us are still burnt from the year 1 Handcannon-meta that lasted for half a year.

Top Bottom