• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Raid Loot Dead Horse Beating / Salt Post incoming.

Why the hell are 2 shards are drop from Oyrx? Like, I spent an hour killing Oryx Friday with some Gaffers. It was fun, but we were a totally new group and it took us a bit to get the hang of things, plus Oryx being a bit glitchy.

I got 2 shards. Shards & Energy have always been a drop, but those were meaningful, even if they were so in a design that wasn't good. I could upgrade my gear with that. You know what 2 moldering shards means? It means 1/10 of a future drop. WTF.

Luke was talking about Bungie leaning into Destiny being a loot game for Year 2. Like they turned up the drop rate across the board. Except apparently for the raid. Where it's worse than ever.

The raid is the only source of raid gear (duh), which I still don't have a full set of (helmet, where are you?) and it's also the only source of high light gear, which you need if you want to move on to the Hard Raid or infuse your favorite gear. The drop rates are this bad for the stuff you most need and you can only do it once a week?!?

It's incomprehensible, unless they wanted to make the game as much of a grind as possible. Which isn't fun.

What killed me about weapon parts is that I was one of the hoarders, and then TTK came out and I spent 2300 weapon parts on rep for Dead Orbit. I kept about 200 as a reserve.

I figured this was the intention here. Bungie gave me something to do with these parts, and I did it.

Then the weapon parts nerf happened, and I find myself struggling to stay above 100, usually floating closer to 80, and I'll go ahead and tell you I barely use new weapons. It's almost all from infusing what I already have.

Hung Jury has really ruined the whole primary weapon slot for me. The trials scout seems cool but I didn't even bother trying it out because I know Hung Jury is better just by looking at the perks.
Currently I only carry 3 primaries - Hung Jury, Hawksaw and the raid pulse. The other 2 are for pvp only.
Eesh.

Deku Tree

What killed me about weapon parts is that I was one of the hoarders, and then TTK came out and I spent 2300 weapon parts on rep for Dead Orbit. I kept about 200 as a reserve.

I figured this was the intention here. Bungie gave me something to do with these parts, and I did it.

Then the weapon parts nerf happened, and I find myself struggling to stay above 100, usually floating closer to 80, and I'll go ahead and tell you I barely use new weapons. It's almost all from infusing what I already have.

I was mad that I spent 1200+ strange coins down to almost zero. Up to over 200 now.

Easy to hoard strange coins now when the 3oC drop rate was stealth nerfed so bad now that it's not worth using them anymore.

But I felt like the WP and Armor Materials exchange was too stingy and not worth it. So I kept all of mine.

MikeyMike

Yeah, this is where I am. I'm not nearly as excited for filling my exotics collection or grinding the raid to maaaaybe get better gear. I'm just tired of it in general. It's fun with my regular raid group because they're fun, but otherwise I'm fairly done for now. Plus I just got NieR because my hype is up! :)

Same for me. Was done with the raid by thursday and it was quite refreshing to play other games along the weekend.

- Finished Batman Arkham Knight
- Enjoyed Tales from the Borderlands
- Started Final Fantasy Type-0

I will be looking for people to run NM CE this week tho. Would like to gain some experience in there so I can eventually get the flawless raider trophy.

StMeph

As soon as you have enough glimmer, pledge the faction of your choice. Look at their gear rolls and their colors, those are the things that matter the most. Once you pledge one, stick with it. There's no downside to pledging.

Thanks. This thread moves super fast. I can see now how it's on OT36 (Jesus).

Future

Raid Loot Dead Horse Beating / Salt Post incoming.

Why the hell are 2 shards are drop from Oyrx? Like, I spent an hour killing Oryx Friday with some Gaffers. It was fun, but we were a totally new group and it took us a bit to get the hang of things, plus Oryx being a bit glitchy.

I got 2 shards. Shards & Energy have always been a drop, but those were meaningful, even if they were so in a design that wasn't good. I could upgrade my gear with that. You know what 2 moldering shards means? It means 1/10 of a future drop. WTF.

Luke was talking about Bungie leaning into Destiny being a loot game for Year 2. Like they turned up the drop rate across the board. Except apparently for the raid. Where it's worse than ever.

The raid is the only source of raid gear (duh), which I still don't have a full set of (helmet, where are you?) and it's also the only source of high light gear, which you need if you want to move on to the Hard Raid or infuse your favorite gear. The drop rates are this bad for the stuff you most need and you can only do it once a week?!?

It's incomprehensible, unless they wanted to make the game as much of a grind as possible. Which isn't fun.

Luke said these things but in practice

Bad drop rates in raid
Horrible drop rates in crucible and iron banner (claimed as a bug)
Reduced weapon parts meaning less infusions and upgrading weapons
No more nightfall rep buff

This game is as much of a grind as ever. The only noticeable change to me is that there are more sources of general weapons than ever before through all the quests. But high light gear still funnels you back to the raid with crappy drops that you can't infuse into weapons you like because of no parts.

Luke said these things but in practice

Bad drop rates in raid
Horrible drop rates in crucible and iron banner (claimed as a bug)
Reduced weapon parts meaning less infusions and upgrading weapons
No more nightfall rep buff

This game is as much of a grind as ever. The only noticeable change to me is that there are more sources of general weapons than ever before through all the quests. But high light gear still funnels you back to the raid with crappy drops that you can't infuse into weapons you like because of no parts.

I feel by the time they fix it, the people complaining about the drops will already be burnt out from raiding.

soultron

Banned
LL288 now, do you experienced people think I should do a Nightfall this week or jump directly into raiding?

I'm new to both, btw. I've spent the first proper ~40h of Destiny playing Y1, tDB, HoW, and TTK solo stuff. I've done heroic strikes and solo missions too.

Watching triplewreck and he looks so down, I don't think he's really enjoying Destiny anymore

He's been pulling an all-nighter it seems. I saw him carrying Cozmos in Trials before bed, woke up and he's still on Destiny. He seemed to be having a good time last night. Either he's tired or bored because he's playing Control for some reason, at the moment.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I really hate when people say this game is a "grind". What, exactly, are you people grinding? And why? It's only a "grind" if you make it a grind. You can do every single thing in Destiny without "grinding" anything.

PuMa

The one from getting 7 wins. Haven't had a chance to really try all weekend, but I want it. Would you be around tonight to assist? I'm not expecting flawless or anything like that.

Ah yeah, Inward Lamp. I like it a lot so far. If only it had firefly. It fires surprisingly quick.
I'll definitely be on tonight. I'm just planning on running a card or two with Ape and Rene.

I feel by the time they fix it, the people complaining about the drops will already be burnt out from raiding.
I'm already burnt out of raiding. Tho I'm interested in these "challenge modes".

Idk I don't feel like playing Destiny anymore. There's nothing wrong with that. Nothing really keeping me playing. Used to just play crucible and that was enough to keep me playing. But I don't enjoy pvp anymore...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
LL288 now, do you experienced people think I should do a Nightfall this week or jump directly into raiding?

I'm new to both, btw. I've spent the first proper ~40h of Destiny playing Y1, tDB, HoW, and TTK solo stuff. I've done heroic strikes and solo missions too.

Try to get into a GAF NM raid. There's no reason you can't do both NF and raid, though. NF's takes 20 minutes.

I'm already burnt out of raiding. Tho I'm interested in these "challenge modes".

Idk I don't feel like playing Destiny anymore. There's nothing wrong with that. Nothing really keeping me playing.

FO4 is 1 week away!

did 1 character in Trials, just don't see the reason to subject myself to it. Excited for Raids on tuesday but thats about all the destiny i'll get in this week unless something new is discovered.

That was my whole point. Im at 311. With progress for me tied completely into the Herioc raid, Bungie has closed off the rest of the game for me. What is the point in doing anything other than the raid. Ill play the raid and night fall tomorrow, and then I wont touch the game for another 7 days?

Weird shit bungie weird shit.

E92 M3

Yeah, I agree. I'd really like to see the investment team take the same approach as Derek has with the sandbox: He provides a stated goal and then reasoning for why changes are made. We can agree or not, but it makes the changes feel far less arbitrary. With the investment/economy side of things, we get very little background and so punishing things like weapon part throttles just feel punishing.

Bungie needs to take notice of how Blizzard does patch notes. They become a full blown book. I'd love that.

--

In terms of Strange Coins, I'd like to have a guaranteed source return. Doing bounties is too random and I get very little as is.

phen0m24

We need Destiny 2 hype.

Logged in early Fri to buy the Hunter helmet.
Did that, then turned off the PS4. Have been on my Vita playing P4G ever since.

Klyka

Banned
I really hate when people say this game is a "grind". What, exactly, are you people grinding? And why? It's only a "grind" if you make it a grind. You can do every single thing in Destiny without "grinding" anything.

Agreed.

I said this a couple days ago but right now what I do is do the daily bounties and mission when i feel like playing and that will usually drop some engrams. I then take those blue items and wear them (especially weapons) to level them up and then dismantle them for motes and parts. So far I get 3 weapon parts for each leveled up blue gun.
And it's actually really fun to see all the different blue armors and such cause some of them look fantastic.
I got no problem with light level,cause be honest, when do you ever need 280+ light level?
Only for very very specific things.
I also like doing a bit of court of oryx cause it drops even more blues I can level :D

KROALk.gif

U wot

I'm pretty burnt out as is, and I haven't even made it to Hard Mode.

They said the next patch should hit in November, "before Thanksgiving, if all goes well." I'm hoping it's a big QoL patch just like the early patches in Year 1 were. Stuff like shaders affecting Class Items again (neon green goes with nothing) and weapon parts andmore to go along with their announced changes.

LTWood12

Ah yeah, Inward Lamp. I like it a lot so far. If only it had firefly. It fires surprisingly quick.
I'll definitely be on tonight. I'm just planning on running a card or two with Ape and Rene.

Cool. Maybe I can get Ape to help as well.

Yep! but the lure of loot will pull at least some of them back in.

It's the life cycle of content:-

1. Release new content - everyone is excited
2. After 2/3 cycles of the end game people realise the drop rates are bad or there is couble RNG
3. Much wailing and demanding of change - people start dropping out
4. Eventually Bungie will respond and loosen the gates a little - people come back in.

This seems to be the longest way they can stretch content as they get to double dip.

I would love to know how secret their loot drop algorithms are within Bungie, and which individuals have the "keys to the kingdom" to ratify changes to drop rates.

I often see people of forums saying things like "there is a 1 in 10 chance as there are 10 items in the pool"....but the algorithm can be way more complicated (and unequal) than that.

I personally think there is a time effect and a character effect on drop rates....but I'll never be able to prove it....

ich00

I'm kinda in this camp. I had a nice stockpile of parts when TTK came out(as well as heavy ammo) and used some to rank up DO to get the shaders that never dropped. I was usually able to keep around 300-400 at any given time after that from drops and what not.

Post nerf I have about 40. Now I can either infuse the weapons I like or upgrade weapons I want to try, I can't do both.

Between the wp nerf, crucible not being much fun, stupidly grindy queats, etc a lot of the fun of the game has been sucked out of it for me. With Halo out and Fallout soon I think I'll be taking a break until the next content dump, which is fine, but its the first time in a year that I've felt that way.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I still love using HCs. I don't mind getting within range to maximize efficiency. That feels right. What ISN'T right is missing shots when the reticule is RIGHT THERE - even when I'm in HC ranges. C'mon!

Bungie your goal was to reduce range of HCs - mission accomplished. It's a good change. But roll back the initial accuracy crap. It's accomplished nothing but forcing people to choose different weapon classes.

gatti-man

That was my whole point. Im at 311. With progress for me tied completely into the Herioc raid, Bungie has closed off the rest of the game for me. What is the point in doing anything other than the raid. Ill play the raid and night fall tomorrow, and then I wont touch the game for another 7 days?

Weird shit bungie weird shit.

Trials offers possible drops of 310+ exotics in the bounties and the lighthouse drops 310-320 primaries.

Watching triplewreck and he looks so down, I don't think he's really enjoying Destiny anymore

Ok watching this last match, he's pretty down.

"Do I have to run around with a shotgun just to do anything?"

Then he's salty (admittedly) that 1 opponent has a PDX and 1000 yard stare with God rolls so he can't win any of the encounters just because of 1 perk on each gun.

Avixph

Bungie needs to figure out how they're want to do raid weapons. Because what we've gotten is a bunch of stinking 💩.
That's their new weapon design philosophy, they don't want "op" weapons anymore even if that means giving boring ones. The raid snipe and machine gun are pretty good PvP wise at least.

Lnkn52

you can't take something out of the game that people enjoyed without having a replacement for it. It's that simple.

Future

There are a subset of things you can do without grinding yeah. Glimmer for example seems tuned well and you get an over abundance of armor plates. Planet materials are in the sweet spot where if you don't have any, a quick patrol with the right ghost will probably net enough to make progress

Sword (flakes in particular) / crucible quests, weapon parts all feel like grinds though. Because you run up against walls where you have no choice but to actually think about doing the repetition to get what you need. And when you do it takes fucking forever. Vendor rep I just ignore. No real way to grind it its just gonna take months to get into the 20s

But the most Grindy element is the foundation of their progression system: light. Can play raids with no progress upward. Can literally get nothing from hard mode finish 3x a week. If you do manage to get higher light gear as a drop, hard to infuse since you probably need to grind engrams for weapon parts. If you don't raid much then you don't have much avenue to progress at all besides grinding engrams and inching your way up

Hell just equipping everything to highest light before deciding engrams is boring and feels like a grind although technically it's not by definition

It's pretty Grindy dude.

That's their new weapon design philosophy, they don't want "op" weapons anymore even if that means giving boring ones. The raid snipe and machine gun are pretty good PvP wise at least.
I have those 2. Tho the sniper is not nearly as good as other snipers. MG is baller that is true.

LiK

Idk I don't feel like playing Destiny anymore. There's nothing wrong with that. Nothing really keeping me playing. Used to just play crucible and that was enough to keep me playing. But I don't enjoy pvp anymore...

I feel the exact same way. I'm pretty much done.

Top Bottom