• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

There's no value in chasing 320 anymore. In Vanilla you had to reach max light because of the huge disadvantage between levels. Now, as long as you're within 10 you're fine.

yeah

its getting to the point where I'm putting exotic engrams in the vault now in hopes that a few I cash in during the next expansion drop will fetch me something new.

I'm not really even sure why I should hard raid anymore. I'm 313 but you just know the next expansion is going to drop 320 blues after your first quest. I do enjoy raiding, but I've run KF enough times now to be kind of done with it.

IDK--I really enjoyed TTK, but I guess I'm running into a wall now.

gatti-man

I have those 2. Tho the sniper is not nearly as good as other snipers. MG is baller that is true.

The sniper is unique as it has no scope. I like it for snipe battling. As in when you're getting rushed and need to snipe fast it's not nearly as disorienting for me as other snipes.

yeah

its getting to the point where I'm putting exotic engrams in the vault now in hopes that a few I cash in during the next expansion drop will fetch me something new.

I'm not really even sure why I should hard raid anymore. I'm 313 but you just know the next expansion is going to drop 320 blues after your first quest. I do enjoy raiding, but I've run KF enough times now to be kind of done with it.

IDK--I really enjoyed TTK, but I guess I'm running into a wall now.

Challenge mode will most likely drop 330 light gear. Also is there even going to be another real expansion? Not sure.

Destiny 2 |OT| Here We Go Again
Layout by Lnkn52

In Loving Memory of DrDrizzay101

Note: Destiny 2 is getting a rolling midnight launch per region and this mod-approved thread is going up approximately 24 hours ahead of launch in New Zealand.

DestinyOT2_01.jpg

DestinyOT2_03.jpg

DestinyOT2-Class.gif

DestinyOT2_04.jpg

DestinyOT2_05.jpg

DestinyOT2_07.jpg

DestinyOT2_08.jpg

Resources will come online soon as we dig into the game and put together guides and FAQs and all the stuff that our awesome community has put together in the past.

In the meantime, post in the thread. And since the matchmaking system, Guided Games, won't be online immediately, be sure you post in the clan recruitment thread or visit the mega-post of all DGAF clans and join a clan!

DestinyOT2_09-1.jpg

Destiny 2 is finally upon us, but I need to take a minute to plug DGAF, GAF’s Destiny community. For a lot of us, this is OT45. That’s right, Destiny went through 44 OTs and the only thing that slowed us down was Discord (quote the OT to get a invitation to the DGAF server, btw). I hope that won't be intimidating to new folks, because it’s meant as an invitation to a huge and dedicated community. We have real legends who've been among the first flawless raiders and we’ve got Trials champions. We’ve got scrubs and we’ve got carries. We’ve got casuals and we’ve got completionists. We’ve been here through content drops and content droughts, through nerfs and buffs for three years.

The people you may call veterans here each started out new in this community. So if you’re new or old, don’t worry about clans or cliques. This is one big community. If you see someone forming a fire team, then volunteer! Want guns for a challenge or just some company to shoot the Darkness errr… breeze, then put up your own call to arms. DGAF will answer the call.

Whether you’re here FOR THE PUPPIES (or ramen shops), or you’re pumped to play a real Destiny Killer—whether this is your Homecoming, or you're wishing everyone was here—whether you’re here for the loot, or to fight the Darkness—whether you’re here to finish the fight with the Cabal or you want to see what the community will do, all that was Destiny, this is Destiny Too.

I hope you join us, because Here We Go Again.

Bogeypop

Spindle Group #8(?) Complete. No PMs in my inbox. If you'd like help obtaining your very own Black Spindle send me a PM and I will help you immediately as there's no one on the waiting list.

PSA: If you send me PMs via mobile please put something in the Title/Subject line as it won't get sent otherwise for some reason.

I got the trials rocket launcher and scout, is there anything else that's good from trials?
I still need to do my trials bounties on my Titan and I'm debating whether to subject myself to such punishment or not.

Deku Tree

For anyone curious. I did some bad math here:

Assuming your raid boss has a 25% chance of dropping the item you want, and then a 10% chance of dropping it at max light level. You have a 2.5% chance of getting the item you want.

After 6ish month of raiding, you might have half of a full set:

vz3tRgQ.jpg

*Created with excels randbetween function.

This is bad math, but not for the reasons that you are saying...

1) getting a max light level piece is unimportant... Getting to 315+ might be a decent goal for Oryx, and I am 314-314-313 with my Oryx gear on all three characters after two weeks of raiding... but a coordinated team can already take pretty good care of Oryx at 310+ either using the new strat or the OG strat... most teams want to use the new strat, but I feel that if more teams learned the OG strat then it would be fine too. Oryx HM is the only content in the game that requires LL over 310. And running HM it is easy to get above 310.

2) you are not taking into account infusion, which changes the math a lot. My hunter has done every loot drop every week and never seen any raid boots drop at all. But my hunter has 309 boots because of infusion. infusion gives dupes meaning and allows you to keep lower LL pieces with perks that you like.

3) We don't know what the loot drops will be for completing the raid boss challenges. Hopefully completing the boss challenges give you better power drops (320 guaranteed?)

4) if you include things like stats and perks in your math then the chances of getting exactly what you want become totally hopeless.

I hope challenges don't drop 330. Would be a real pain in the ass to keep trying to level stuff.

I would love to see something like 330 gear dropping, but Bungie setting a hard LL cap of 320 or 325. I think it would help keep the shitty feeling of a new rat race down. That way if you get a perfect roll on the new LL gear, it just helps you hit the new hard cap easier. Trying to get perfect rolls across all gear is not fun at all. I have already set myself an imaginary LL "cap" of 311. Once I hit that I will consider myself maxed out.

E92 M3

It's pretty cool. It has tracking and javelin/heavy payload/field scout.

Hmm, seems like I'll stick with the new Truth that mercury gave me lol.

I would love to see something like 330 gear dropping, but Bungie setting a hard LL cap of 320 or 325. I think it would help keep the shitty feeling of a new rat race down. That way if you get a perfect roll on the new LL gear, it just helps you hit the new hard cap easier. Trying to get perfect rolls across all gear is not fun at all. I have already set myself an imaginary LL "cap" of 311. Once I hit that I will consider myself maxed out.

I am finally happy with my characters being at 313. Would definitely hate to chase a new LL. So frustrating.

They should give us some exciting new weapons.

Kyne

Bungie explicitly took strides to get better at preventing exclusionary stuff with Year 2 and I think they've done that. I've 306 and my friends are 298, but we still do the Nightfall and Iron Banner and have a blast.

My raid experience has been the opposite of yours. It's been my experience that it's harder to get a normal raid going (not impossible), and because I can't get any higher light drops, I'm gated out of Hard mode. Well, not quite. I'm at 306 light, which is okay to start Hard Mode, but a lot of the HM raids are being done by people who are over 310 by now and want someone they can clear quickly with, not someone who will need replacing when they get to Daughters. But that's my experience.

Other thoughts on exclusionary parts of Destiny Year 2:

Trials feels waaaaaay more exclusionary. Before, I felt that as a slightly above average player I could join teams and make good progress. Now, watching the chatter from here, CPB and twitter, that the only way to play with 3 super solid players, especially ones that play together frequently.That 7th match is going to be super-sweaty and you want people you know and can count on. Not some new guy. It doesn't feel like I can join folks. BUT!

But bounties have helped counteract that. Not only in that I can get gear without 7 wins, but that the .01% have a reason to keep playing past the Lighthouse without the need to Flawless. I'm not completely wild about it because I feel like the underclass of Trials. Like "here are some scraps, since you're not good enough to eat at the table", but hey, scraps, you guys. That's something.

Other indirectly exclusionary things. The Taken War quests were great (mostly), but they're often too difficult to solo enjoyably, but don't have matchmaking. And because everyone is on a different step it's really difficult to find people to join to help. It's even harder as I start playing on my alts and a lot of folks are already done with these quests. A definite opportunity for refinement.

Last thing I can think of: exotic quests that feel like jobs. Exotics behind quests I think was a good decision, but when I log on, if I have the choice of helping my friends or farming 10 super-rare planetary mats to get a totally awesome sword, that's not a fun decision. That's not even something you can do with people really. Which is why I still don't have any exotic swords.

Like I said, they've made good progress. But those are some areas that need improvement in my eyes.

hey, so my girlfriend is tired of listening to my explanations for newbies
not really, but 6 hour raids every weekend is a bit taxing
and we'll be taking a break from newbie-raid weekend. You're welcome to joins us this week(end?) for a normal King's Fall run. (=

Avixph

I just really want mythoclast to be viable again. Best looking and sounding gun in the game is now useless. Tlw being good again would be nice too I guess.

Zocano

Skill exclusionary stuff should exist. Gives people a reason to better themselves.

End game loops are limited no matter what, there's no such thing as infinite content. Best thing they could do is add some more 320 activities (VoG legendary mode) or lots of little challenge modes.

LTWood12

As one of those who didn't think it was a big deal and then went to upgrade a gun last week and have been managing parts ever since, yeah you were right. Still a relatively minor annoyance but it must be said that LT is the wisest, bravest guardian that ever lived. Now please ban him again before his ego gets too big.

Help me w/ Trials tonight.

flkraven

Well I guess for destiny, getting to 320 IS the end game. If you don't try to do that, then you have no goals to really drive you onward in TTK end game. That's why people feel compelled to grind.... There is just not much else to do.

It's all about getting dat 320 light level.

The problem is that getting to 320 is virtually impossible except for the lucky few that hit the right lottery numbers after a few weeks/months of playing. Everyone, even if the run the raid 3 times a week, are hovering somewhere between 311 and 319. The grind is even longer if you do the thing where you actually infuse the gear into preferred gear rather than just hanging onto it.

Not to mention the fact that 310 was the near impossible max for a whopping 3 weeks. I'm sure 330 will be the new max in a few weeks anyways, and then god knows what else will come.

Destiny is no longer about chasing 'it all' and I think that is what irks people the most, whether they admit it or not. As hard as the grind was before, hardcore players were able to get pretty much everything they searched for except for their individual white whales (ie. Gally, Hawkmoon). Sure there was forever29, but people were literally 1 drop away from turning that around.

For me, Destiny has become 'good enough'. You just get to be 'good enough' for everything and move one. Don't chase 320. Just get whatever drops you get in hardmode and don't stress. Don't chase every exotic, since everything except ToM is pretty average anyways (I've had the imprecation hand cannon in my inventory over 2 weeks now). Don't try and build a gun collection, because a) you are just going to use Hung Jury and ToM and b) you don't have enough weapon parts to infuse and level them up anyways.

The point is, that there is no more chase. And some people have a terrible time comprehending this, because vanilla Destiny attracted us OCD types from the get go. In September I thought I wouldn't touch another game during these holidays, but now I know better.

Owensboro

So Hard Mode is the last thing I need to do in this game and because I'm an obsessive idiot I need to get it done so I can shelve the game and start the long grueling process of studying for an 8 hour professional exam.

What light level do I need to be to get in? When would I be a viable option for Hard Mode Daughters and Oryx? I'm currently sitting at 305 light (max), 304 with an alternate layout (to get Black Spindle in). I assume this is enough to make the raid at least, but I'm betting it would be impossible to finish, correct? Am I doomed to just run normal + hard every week until I can get the light?

Shiv47

I'm running out of things to do beyond the raid, but I did finally get a Last Word to drop, so I have the Chaperone quest finally. Is the best way to do the shitty pvp part still to equip briefly when you get heavy/super and unequip the rest of the time?

stb

You're Berried_Treasure on PSN, right? You've got like super ultra VIP access considering you took me along on my first VoG run when I was just starting out. But I'm taking a break for now. Going to hopefully let those Black Spindle PMs pile up as I've been doing 85% waiting and 15% Sherpa'ing this morning, and I'd like it to be the reverse of that.

That being said reminder to send me a PM to get on the Black Spindle help Waiting List for later this afternoon.

Sorry for the slow reply (I'm at work). Yep, I'm Berried_treasurE, but what you're doing is way more generous than one VoG run. =)

I'll send a PM for Verde.

Lnkn52

Reposting.

Lnkn, I have my screenshot to get my TTK stamp on my guardian lord pic, as well as a few extras for lulz.

Bonus: The sniper shot that follows no rules, only heads.

3o85xmY7gexVs4zf9K.gif
No need for that. The list has been updated. Just make sure to refresh. Lol

Kyoufu

I'm running out of things to do beyond the raid, but I did finally get a Last Word to drop, so I have the Chaperone quest finally. Is the best way to do the shitty pvp part still to equip briefly when you get heavy/super and unequip the rest of the time?

Best way to do it is to get a friend to feed you in Rumble.

Toki767

So Hard Mode is the last thing I need to do in this game and because I'm an obsessive idiot I need to get it done so I can shelve the game and start the long grueling process of studying for an 8 hour professional exam.

What light level do I need to be to get in? When would I be a viable option for Hard Mode Daughters and Oryx? I'm currently sitting at 305 light (max), 304 with an alternate layout (to get Black Spindle in). I assume this is enough to make the raid at least, but I'm betting it would be impossible to finish, correct? Am I doomed to just run normal + hard every week until I can get the light?

I started with a group here at 305. It was a pretty smooth experience overall. You still need to get lucky with drops though. I was lucky enough to end at 308.

noomi

You know. I never really thought about us not being able to get a 320 artifact until you pointed it out. Huh...well that's a little issue.

Is it not possible to get one from the Gold tier trials bounty?

Some have speculated that collecting all 50 fragments would yield a 320 artifact. Who knows though.

As for the trials gold package, maybe... I know Macello got a 300+ artifact.

Xeyark

Unconfirmed Member

If you do manage to get one going, sign me up. I'm 307 at max thanks to all that work we put in yesterday.

LTWood12

1) getting a max light level piece is unimportant... Getting to 315+ might be a decent goal for Oryx, and I am 314-314-313 with my Oryx gear on all three characters after two weeks of raiding... but a coordinated team can already take pretty good care of Oryx at 310+ either using the new strat or the OG strat... most teams want to use the new strat, but I feel that if more teams learned the OG strat then it would be fine too. Oryx HM is the only content in the game that requires LL over 310. And running HM it is easy to get above 310.

2) you are not taking into account infusion, which changes the math a lot. My hunter has done every loot drop every week and never seen any raid boots drop at all. But my hunter has 309 boots because of infusion. infusion gives dupes meaning and allows you to keep lower LL pieces with perks that you like.

3) We don't know what the loot drops will be for completing the raid boss challenges. Hopefully completing the boss challenges give you better power drops (320 guaranteed?)

4) if you include things like stats and perks in your math then the chances of getting exactly what you want become totally hopeless.

You nailed it. My Hunter has done one Normal mode run, got no armor except for the class item. But because of infusion my Hunter is 308.

1)Only unimportant to people who actually understand the system. To the average player, it's the "forever 29" thing all over again and it will leave the player with a negative experience. It doesn't matter that the difference between 314 and 320 is negligible, the fact that 320 exists means players want to be 320.

2)You can only infuse up to your highest drop. So you still need a 320 to reach that, maybe even multiple 320 to infuse the gear you want to the highest value.

3)Unknown is unknown.

4)This is part of my point really. If we had guaranteed drops of 310 or 320 gear, then we could actually use those to infuse the gear we have already with our favored perks. As it stands, infusion falls secondary. Gear only becomes infusion fodder if I get another drop that replaces it.

I'm actually working on another larger excel file right now. Basically, I think it's statistically impossible to reach max light (working with basic assumptions). Obviously some people have actually done this, but I believe they are statistical anomalies.

Right now, I've set up a giant excel document that is gaging 20 players and seeing how many of them can roll perfect 320 pieces over the course of 4 months (assumed light level will increase around this point).

I'm not sure of the exact drop rate, but I threw in a 50% chance of each piece of gear dropping, and then another 10% of those are actually max light level. In this scenario, it looks like 7 out of 20 players will have max light level within a 4 month period.

Edit: disregard that last part. Excel formulas copied wrong and fucking up the results.

FStop7

Banned
My biggest wish for Destiny is that Bungie would add the ability to build loadouts for your characters. You could select the subclass+perks, gear+perks, etc.

I've been caught out several times now because I had the wrong gun or armor, the wrong subclass, or the wrong perks on either/both.

GutZ31

How much silver did you spend on masks? How long did it take you to get the skull mask?

$20 on silver. bought a pack of 6. Got what I wanted after the second one opened.
After that was just opening for the lulz.
Got skull on probably the 4th.
Got excited thinking I may as well try and get them all, so bought another 3 packages.
Broke down repeats, and used them to turn ones I wanted into legendaries.

hey, so my girlfriend is tired of listening to my explanations for newbies
not really, but 6 hour raids every weekend is a bit taxing
and we'll be taking a break from newbie-raid weekend. You're welcome to joins us this week(end?) for a normal King's Fall run. (=

Depending on what your schedule looks like tonight, i'd be happy to run HM w/ you this evening.

Thanks for the offers, y'all. I'm helping my friend finally get his Spindle tonight, but I'll be on the prowl this weekend for a raid, either Normal or Hard.

Top Bottom