• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Bogeypop

I technically only have ONE PM from someone looking for a Black Spindle Sherpa. Anyone else that wants help getting the Black Spindle I am available to help you right now, just send me a PM.

Kyne

Iv been waiting for that for a long time.

It's ok. We're the ones forgotten in the shadows. Our day shall come a upon us. And on that day we will rise into the light. Remember remember the 5th of November.

I was going somewhere with this and then I lost my train of thought. Lmfao

you couldn't wait like 3 more days to post something like that?

smh math.

soultron

Banned
The subreddit is really good for suggestions, complaints and showing off this cool thing.

It's terrible for discussion. As an example, the Raid encounter discussions we've had here just don't happen on r/Destiny.

Additionally, r/Destiny doesn't do well with detailed posts and interaction, because it's so huge and varied. r/CruciblePlaybook is smaller and more focused and great for that. It's nice that Bungie has noticed the Playbook as well.

Great points, yeah.

I think the problem with GAF, however, is still membership/registration restrictions. I'm sure there are lots of lurkers (who don't have accounts) that would love to jump in and discuss stuff with you guys here but they cannot, for reasons already stated.

As a new Destiny player, would you say that the discussion on Raids on the Bungie forums is as in-depth and focused as it is here?

The reason I ask is because it feels like a clear delineation of discussion types between the 3 platforms (GAF, Subreddit(s), and Bungie forum) might have established itself.

It's a double edged sword. I agree, but getting so angry can lead to not caring. That's the part where they need to step in to make sure that doesn't happen.

They talked about Sunbreakers on 10/30 and it's been a whole month and nothing has been even mentioned about it. One Iron Banner and Trials later, still nothing. Not to mention the fix for Quiver.

Obviously that's just 1 example.

At some point a community manager requirement has to be thick skin. I prefer civil discourse and constructive feedback, but when the thing you are trying to feedback is pure frustration with a system, it is hard to expect everyone to keep a level head. Comcast and TWC support people get shit on hard, day in day out by angry customers, but they don't just stomp their feet and hang up. They deal with it because it is their job. I agree with MrDaravon. Their Y1 style of communication or lack thereof is still very frustrating.

GhaleonEB

It's an odd choice.

Like, there's 3 types of people.

Those that have thousands of weapon parts, and hundreds of strange coins. This nerf doesn't affect them at all, they'll continue to have that.

Then there are those that have some amount of these items. They don't struggle to upgrade parts or buy Xur things, but they don't have enough to constantly buy his wares weekly or to upgrade every thing consistently. I used to be in this camp. Used to.

Which leads me to the 3rd type-new players, and those who didn't have alotta parts/coins stocked up. This absolutely hurts them, and makes it a much bigger grind to get these things.

So, why did Bungie do it? It's easy to infer why, and we don't need data. The people who have hundreds of coins and thousands of parts, Bungie doesn't need to retain that base. That is most likely the hardcore base, the one that players over 20 hours a week. This nerf wasn't for them or because of them.

For the huge fans of destiny, those that had sufficient parts and strange coins but not an excess amount, again this nerf wasn't for them. At the rate these players play and get coins/parts, will be a fast enough rate to sustain the amount of coins/parts. But eventually these players will run out of parts and coins(Like I did), and that puts us...

...in camp 3. Personally, there've been moments where I've taken huge breaks from Destiny. I didn't grind the weekly strikes back when the coins were awarded. So I'm in the position of having <100 parts, and about 10-30 coins each week. This nerf hurts players like me the most. It also hurts new players coming into the game.

So why did Bungie do this? ...from a design perspective, it's to keep the player playing. Suddenly you want to grind out some parts in order to upgrade an exotic you brought from Xur. Or you want to grind coins(Which are harder to grind since it's RNG) because Xur is right around the corner.

Their hope with this change is to make casual players into hardcore players, they probably see more time spent into the game=more likely to continue playing the game. I say this because there is literally no reason to nerf weapon parts and strange coins. They keep speaking of player economy but there is no trading that would make someone with 5000 weapon parts and 1000 strange coins be able to control the flow of exotics into the playerbase, it only affects themselves.

It's the same reason why blue engrams can come decrypted-if a player earned encrypted engrams consistently, that'd mean levelling the cryptarch fast, and that carrot on a stick becomes a carrot in your hand.

It's a bad change intended to keep people playing.

It's even worse as they let you trade in weapon parts for rep/strange coins for 3oC, that alot of people just dumped into these things in the beginning of the expansion, and then 2 weeks later come out with the nerf.

I agree with you on the likely reasoning (I've ranted about it before along those lines). That is what I meant by saying, they wanted to make them more valuable; they're crucial to the upgrade process and have been throttled to be in short supply. Green weapon engram drops are absolute gold now, but that's been taken to to the point where people can't progress any longer without another layer of material grinding.

The frustrating part is, weapon parts were already in short supply before the change. 10 weapon parts for an infusion is a lot!

I think people would run the content into the ground in the first couple of weeks and then quit playing. I think if they let you have a chance at unique special gear once a week, and then maybe implement a token system for same light level but less special gear that would be cool. When I say unique special gear I mean cool looking gear that isn't a retread and has entirely unique perks that nothing else in the game has. The token system style gear could be the garbage that KF hands out now.

Yup. Bungie has referred to the endgame as the 'orbit' phase of the game - players are marginally attached to the game via the weekly reset cadence and thus will tune in when new content and activities drop. The reset enables this, and removing it would mean people grind the game to death in short order and set it aside for the long term. Which sounds nerfarious, but is a model I like; I can hop on once a day or a few times a week and have rewarding activities waiting, and it keeps the community engaged with the game.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Great points, yeah.

I think the problem with GAF, however, is still membership/registration restrictions. I'm sure there are lots of lurkers (who don't have accounts) that would love to jump in and discuss stuff with you guys here but they cannot, for reasons already stated.

As a new Destiny player, would you say that the discussion on Raids on the Bungie forums is as in-depth and focused as it is here?

The reason I ask is because it feels like a clear delineation of discussion types between the 3 platforms (GAF, Subreddit(s), and Bungie forum) might have established itself.

The "problem" with GAF is that we only have one mega-thread. So much is lost because there's no way to have all of the feedback about a thing in one post. Feedback is much easier to receive when its' consolidated, not spread over giant 20,000-post threads.

For the sake of Bungie, maybe Drizzay should put up something in the OP like the weekly top suggestion? Or suggestions from DGAF
I%20Like%20this%20GIF!%20.....%20Another!!!

I also think It would be fun for the DGaf community to do something like this. Where we would vote for the issues that we pray TO RNGESUS that should be fixed. Get our brains working or something.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I got 2 AFK players. Do we still have no ability to kick after they've been inactive for a period?

Edit: Douchebags left but made the Wolf Walker immune to all shots so I left.

No. Not even close. It's a small step in that direction.

If they start actually being hard(more mini bosses and more objectives during it) and giving deserving loot? Then yeah they might be. It also doesn't help how small the the player count can only be for certain areas. Not sure how much that is on Bungie or just the tech they have to deal with.

Uh.. yes, very close. I think you may be forgetting that the vast majority of the dragons in GW2 are extremely easy. Before the Teq revamp and Triple Worm, every one was simply zerg it till dead and hope RNG gives you something cool. The good rewards were an extremely low drop rate as well. That's changed to an extent but most of the world bosses added since then have been temporary (Marionette, etc.)

Bungie could attach better rewards but then they'd have to hard schedule when the event pops instead of 1 out of 2 or 3 chance and attach a limit (daily preferably) to drop eligibility. They could add more mechanics but then they risk overwhelming zone-appropriate-leveled players. GW2 helps alleviate this by placing their bosses in relatively uninhabited areas of the zone, while Destiny's zones don't really have the space for that. Likely for the same reason there's such a restricted limit of players in a zone, which I imagine to be an engine/resources problem.

These kinds of things could possibly come in the future but I imagine it would take quite a awhile to work it out and even then it could be a situation where it only comes to fruition in brand new play spaces that have it in mind when they're designed.

What I meant about not as close was just how big the scale of those events are. Compared to these tiny public events. In theory they're just about the same. I don't expect something like this in Destiny 1. I would like to see something like it in Destiny 2 or at least very close. And I fully expect it for it to never happen. Its really wishfull thinking.

And you can solo public events. You can't really solo world bosses. That's what I mean in terms of difficulty.

At some point a community manager requirement has to be thick skin. I prefer civil discourse and constructive feedback, but when the thing you are trying to feedback is pure frustration with a system, it is hard to expect everyone to keep a level head. Comcast and TWC support people get shit on hard, day in day out by angry customers, but they don't just stomp their feet and hang up. They deal with it because it is their job. I agree with MrDaravon. Their Y1 style of communication or lack thereof is still very frustrating.

They did the weapon parts and strange coin nerf this year, which was a horrible mistake. Anyone from a slightly-above-casual to hardcore player can see this made no sense.

Klyka

Banned
One thing I like about Destiny is I can play very little and just do whatever but I never feel like you guys are cruising away from me.

Like, sure I need some higher light for the HM Raid (my max reachable light is 307) but what am I actually missing? Just the content I have seen before with some slight additions.

Everything else though?
I can come in here and join any of you for whatever you are doing and never once feel "omg I didn't grind the last 3 weeks, I can't join these guys".
It's pretty swell actually and a nice departure from the usual MMO.

What I meant about not as close was just how big the scale of those events are. Compared to these tiny public events. In theory they're just about the same. I don't expect something like this in Destiny 1. I would like to see something like it in Destiny 2 or at least very close. And I fully expect it for it to never happen. Its really wishfull thinking.

And you can solo public events. You can't really solo world bosses. That's what I mean in terms of difficulty.

Yeah. The scale is, unfortunately, never going to happen for Destiny. Having 50 guardians charging through a warzone of Cabal in stages, ultimately ending in a fight against a 40-story tall unique Centurion complete with boss fight mechanics would be mind blowing. But it just doesn't seem technically possible. As for soloing... that just means they should tighten the timers on the Events, since they can't buff the health bars the way traditional mmo's do.

I do think the current meta is making a good chunk of loot largely shrug worthy

I'd love to have fusion rifles or shotguns be kind of a must on certain PVE content, but sniper is the only special that really passes the DPS checks.

I think the gunsmith was one of Bungies ideas to get people using a variety of weapons instead of just sticking to the meta, but I wonder if they can do more to encourage additional variety in end game PVE content.

They did the weapon parts and strange coin nerf this year, which was a horrible mistake. Anyone from a slightly-above-casual to hardcore player can see this made no sense.

Exactly. They made a really shitty change with very little justification as to why. It feels like Y1 all over again. They just do something, let everyone kick and scream, then move on until players have a new thing to complain about. Fast to nerf, slow to balance or fix.

E92 M3

I do think the current meta is making a good chunk of loot largely shrug worthy

I'd love to have fusion rifles or shotguns be kind of a must on certain PVE content, but sniper is the only special that really passes the DPS checks.

I think the gunsmith was one of Bungies ideas to get people using a variety of weapons instead of just sticking to the meta, but I wonder if they can do more to encourage additional variety in end game PVE content.

Well, for one, Bungie shouldn't have given shotguns a huge PVE nerf when everyone was having so much fun in HoW.

JonCha

Its a great Helmet for the raid, orbs for days and the special ammo perk is invaluable

Hm, good point. I suspected it might have a niche use. I'm currently wearing Graviton's Forfeit which is good purely for the int/strength roll and the fact it's that classes only specific helmet right now.

Mhm. Have a world boss that stays up, that reauires a full instanve of Guardians...even WoW started doing that again with the panda expansion. Have the boss drops be a weekly lockout, have it drop themed weapons/sparrows/ships...

Homeboyd

But then also put it on Reddit so Bungie sees it.
lmao

Bungie reads this thread. They're just not going to post when summoned because then it'll prove to everyone that's a thing that works. And when they do post, they get hammered with a ton of quote's asking completely unrelated questions to the topic we're discussing. Just watch those Halo threads whenever Frankie posts. It's insane. And then he looks like a dick for not going through and answering every single person's questions.

Reddit is easy for them to pick out some top threads/comments just because of the layout of that forum vs this one, but I guarantee you they're reading this thread just as often.

Kyoufu

Hm, good point. I suspected it might have a niche use. I'm currently wearing Graviton's Forfeit which is good purely for the int/strength roll and the fact it's that classes only specific helmet right now.

I like Graviton because it allows me to use Shadestep while having the enhanced radar perk active. I suppose the radar isn't necessary but I just love it.

Never gonna happen with the RNG involved, although Challenge mode on Hard may go up to 330.

There's no value in chasing 320 anymore. In Vanilla you had to reach max light because of the huge disadvantage between levels. Now, as long as you're within 10 you're fine.

Kyne

Oh whow...is there a "we don't do KF today" memo I missed? ;_;
C'mon brehs... 2 peeps to finish my first KF ever. That's like...means stuff. :p

sorry mate. Posting the day before reset isn't the best time. A lot of people have already done their runs for the week. :p

GhaleonEB

Mhm. Have a world boss that stays up, that reauires a full instanve of Guardians...even WoW started doing that again with the panda expansion. Have the boss drops be a weekly lockout, have it drop themed weapons/sparrows/ships...

They kind of started this on the dreadnaught with the weekly wormsinger/skyburners/other rune that I can't remember, which are on a weekly lockout, but it would be interesting to see that pushed to other parts of the game. I like that they are player initiated vs. waiting for a timer.

I don't think that the nerf was an evil grind scheme, but rather Bungie wanting to try and have the game's various sorts of currency retain "value" (Also remember that Destiny is their first time with an economy and managing it long term etc).

The problem is, there's no perfect balance because there's always going to be the hardcore players.

If someone has 500 strange coins now, there's no "fix" to that. You can't significantly reduce the drop rate enough or increase the cost of existing items without dire consequences for the majority of the game's players.

Weapon parts are what took the biggest hit since you burn through them so much in TTK's economy. And the problem is that a ton of people are being actively punished by a nerf that's probably designed to whittle down the huge stack of weapon parts that <5% of the game's active population has.

Nothus

Me and a friend are looking to play a few games of ToO if anyone fancies joining.
Ideally we would like to get at least the boots, if anyone wants to join just message me on psn.

My id is the same as on here.

Toki767

The way I see it. There are too many layers of RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG to make reaching 310 let alone 320 bearable.

They really need to rework the drop system at least in the HM raid.

If I had 310 boots, the game shouldn't drop me anything lower than 311. In fact, I'd rather just get a guaranteed +1 stat increase for completing the HM raid each week. Because then you'd at least be guaranteed to be at 320 in 10 weeks.

I have no idea why Fusion Rifles exist.

What are they good at? Or supposed to be good at?

CQC timed burst. Unfortunately they were too good at that AND had too long a range while shotguns were useless.. so now they've switched with shotguns. Fusion Rifles can still be ok in PvE but since switching weapons mid-mission/strike/raid effectively punishes you by taking away ammo people would rather stick to sniper rifles since you can generally hit harder with them and nearly always have the space to use them comfortably during boss fights.

Top Bottom