• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

On September 15, 2015, Activision Publishing and Bungie released The Taken King, the largest update to the Destiny universe yet, which was enthusiastically received by fans and critics alike. Day-one downloads broke PlayStation records, day-one engagement saw the highest number of active players in Destiny's history, daily player engagement is now well above 3 hours per day and the Destiny community has climbed to over 25 million registered players. Since its launch, Destiny has become the most watched console game on Twitch.

Acti conference call. Holy shit at that last sentence.

I was about to go Zeus, Wrath of the Gods on Activisions asses, but they're technically correct it's the most watched console game.

ocean

Banned
Seems like normal mode runs are getting harder and harder for people to do in this thread unless plenty of notice is given.
For players who are well leveled enough to do Heroic, there's exactly zero incentive to do Normal. With Crota's End, there were Normal-specific drops (Black Hammer, Hunger of Crota, Swordbreaker were sought after) and Heroic-specific drops (primaries). This meant a lot of people did both.

Now there's no drops specific to Normal and they're all asswipe tier anyways. People still raiding will always do Heroic assuming they are decently leveled.

This might make it a pain for the 290-305 crowd to make the climb and become Heroic-ready though, which is a shame.
I was about to go Zeus, Wrath of the Gods on Activisions asses, but they're technically correct it's the most watched console game.
I'm Twitch-illiterate. I'm assuming you know how to check these numbers. Which are the other contenders for the crown here?

Another Trials Rant.

These last days me and my fireteam members got to 7-0 and 8-0 still with all boons a few times. then we started running in to teams that are just so much better than any of us, real pro players.

so it seems for Trials 2.0 you really need to get lucky with the draw on who you face off with and you have to cut the guys that are only okey PVP players if you really want a shot at the lighthouse.

Last year it was a bit easier to get to the lighthouse but I kind of like and dont like this new MM system. Its fun that its more challenging and it gives that lighthouse visit a bit more status. But at the same time, normal PVP players are just not going to get there at all.. locking guys out of content..

maybe it would be better to have a MM system that compares the stats in PVP. if your like top 1 % you get to play against top 1%ers

ocean

Banned
Another Trials Rant.

so these last days me and my fireteam members got to 7-0 and 8-0 still with all boons a few times. then we started running in to teams that are just so much better than any of us, real pro players.

so it seems for Trials 2.0 you really need to get lucky with the draw on who you face off with and you have to cut the guys that are only okey PVP players if you really want a shot at the lighthouse.

Last year it was a bit easier to get to the lighthouse but I kind of like and dont like this new MM system. Its fun that its more challenging and it gives that lighthouse visit a bit more status. But at the same time, normal PVP players are just not going to get there at all.. locking guys out of content..
The new system's only issue IMO is introducing lag.

The new setup makes earning Silver/Gold packages far, far more likely than it used to be. Your chances at making the 5/7 wins are now higher than before. So effectively, content is more accessible. You can own Trials armor and weapons without being a pro.

At the same time, the co platelet symbolic trophy emblem and sticker on your guns is made more challenging, making it a higher achievement.

I think, outside the lag, the new system is far better. Regular stuff is easier to get while totally symbolic trophy stuff in Mercury rewards the better skilled guys.

All in all, I'd still rather go back to the old system just for the sake of connection quality.

noomi

Meh.

Going to do 3x Hard Mode Raids tonight, how much disappointment and salt will there be? Find out tonight...

JonCha

For players who are well leveled enough to do Heroic, there's exactly zero incentive to do Normal. With Crota's End, there were Normal-specific drops (Black Hammer, Hunger of Crota, Swordbreaker were sought after) and Heroic-specific drops (primaries). This meant a lot of people did both.

Now there's no drops specific to Normal and they're all asswipe tier anyways. People still raiding will always do Heroic assuming they are decently leveled.

This might make it a pain for the 290-305 crowd to make the climb and become Heroic-ready though, which is a shame.

I'm Twitch-illiterate. I'm assuming you know how to check these numbers. Which are the other contenders for the crown here?

Exactly. I'm 300 and need to do the Raid to get better gear for infusions.

The new system's only issue IMO is introducing lag.

The new setup makes earning Silver/Gold packages far, far more likely than it used to be. Your chances at making the 5/7 wins are now higher than before. So effectively, content is more accessible. You can own Trials armor and weapons without being a pro.

At the same time, the co platelet symbolic trophy emblem and sticker on your guns is made more challenging, making it a higher achievement.

I think, outside the lag, the new system is far better. Regular stuff is easier to get while totally symbolic trophy stuff in Mercury rewards the better skilled guys.

All in all, I'd still rather go back to the old system just for the sake of connection quality.

Yeah I agree with everything you said here. I enjoy a challenge and getting to murcury is quite a challenge and its a fun one if you do. The bounties and stuff is really nice and I like that a lot. Trials are just the best PVP mode imo however the lag has been horrible.

Thats the technicality. As far as console games go, Destinys the highest. But it's completely obliterated by any other pc game.

Deku Tree

MvSfKzX.jpg

Gonna get some mileage out of this one lol.

Feorax

Exactly. I'm 300 and need to do the Raid to get better gear for infusions.

On that subject, is it reasonable for those between 295 and 305 to do just up to Golgoroth on HM? In theory, there are enough drops there to boost light levels significantly.

Nuszka

What is up with crucible? I just can't get a game where at least 4 players have red connections, been like that for the past 2 days. Cant imagine how bad it'll be on friday.

Taborcarn

Ugh, came home and fell asleep after my bowling league and missed the Black Spindle for a third time. Damn you and your time gates Bungie, any other night and it could have been fine.

Amazing.

NM HMG
2 shards
Stupid fusion rifle HM from Oryx

Fucking
Amazing
Drops

GG Bungie you really solved the issue with loot

G
Fucking
G

Namikaze1

Totems:
Shards aka nothing

Warpriest:
Shards and 310 NM Machine aka marks

Golgoroth:
Shards and 320 Hunter chest (thank you, G!)

Sisters:
Shards and 300 shotgun aka 3 legendary marks

Oryx:
310 Zhalo and 312 hunter boots aka marks and infusion fodder

I'm keeping only one item from all that and that's the 320 chest piece.

I mentioned that the demo users may count for the registered user numbers in the gaming thread.

What have I done.

Thanks again to Shiv, irawr, and the others for the oryx nm cp last night. Received another hc, though 307 with firefly instead of 300 with surrounded. Bumped me to 303 light. That parts nerf is hurting bad though for upgrades and infusions. What was wrong with the former rate given the increased usage?

Totems:
Shards aka nothing

Warpriest:
Shards and 310 NM Machine

Golgoroth:
Shards and 320 Hunter chest (thank you, G!)

Sisters:
Shards and 300 shotgun aka 3 legendary marks

Oryx:
310 Zhalo and 312 hunter boots aka marks and infusion fodder

I'm keeping only one item from all that and that's the 320 chest piece.

I literally got nothing usable that run.

The starvation is real.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Oh it's Tuesday. Great. Time for 2283 posts from people whining about their hard mode drops. :p

Seriously ppl, your drops sucked. We get it!

Trials up to it's old bullshit again. On 5 wins last night and waiting in orbit for match making, game disconnects us before match starts and gives us a loss. Pissed off, go back to reef and get new card. Waiting in orbit to start first match, game disconnects us again and gives us a loss. Seriously what is this shit? On another note, friend got a 314 Graviton Forfeit from a silver package :0
I wonder if your team was supposed to fight mine. Our sixth match last night was a free win after the opposing team vanished immediately after matchmaking in orbit. We never even saw their names in the roster, and only my team loaded into the map.

Namikaze1

I literally got nothing usable that run.

The starvation is real.
I seriously can't fucking wait for next week. This loot system is shit. I still don't fucking understand who in Bungie thought was a good idea for some players to get fucking nothing from bosses in hard mode.

Watch them come out and say it's a bug in their system. Just watch.

Another Trials Rant.

These last days me and my fireteam members got to 7-0 and 8-0 still with all boons a few times. then we started running in to teams that are just so much better than any of us, real pro players.

maybe it would be better to have a MM system that compares the stats in PVP. if your like top 1 % you get to play against top 1%ers

Everyone knew I was going to reply to this message right? :)

The lag AND MM in Trials is an issue. I hope they go back to the old system.

Oh it's Tuesday. Great. Time for 2283 posts from people whining about their hard mode drops. :p

You will know the details of our suffering as we continue this cycle of disappointment, as it bores into the brains of the poor people staying up late at night in order to start anew in, at this time, a repetitive raid that we've done over and over again and you shall listen to the shrieks and the lament of those who gained nothing in their adventures, nothing but a sad smile saying 'thanks guys' at the end of the raid and then leaving to do their business whilst they look at the disappointing shards that they acquired, these shards that are completely useless and do nothing but compound our sorrow of the dire items that have been earned, to look towards another week of waiting and watching and hoping that the creators of this damned game are paying attention instead of watching their lapdogs who will bark in agreement at everything they say because of the modicum of attention that is provided to them, those that are afraid to speak out against their masters because they want this continued attention, not until those perish and we reign supreme and changes, sufficient changes are made to the raid and systems at hand, lest this dew of enjoyment dry up, this blooming flower shrivel up because of the indecency of the caretakers to fix their own game.

I seriously can't fucking wait for next week. This loot system is shit. I still don't fucking understand who in Bungie thought was a good idea for some players to get fucking nothing from bosses in hard mode.

Watch them come out and say it's a bug in their system. Just watch.

That's the sad part. How many bugs are there that they haven't fixed. Crucible drops, Quiver for nightstalkers,...but when it comes to black spindle dropping at 310, better get on that ASAP! one relaly does get tired from inconsistencies and amateur responses.

Owensboro

I'm always kind of shocked by the number of posts about not getting loot, but then I have to remind myself that the majority must have never played an MMO before. I always just assume everyone's loot experience is more Diablo-like, where you get a new piece of loot every 10 or so minutes. In that context, it's some bullshit.

What are the chances someone wants to let a lowly 305 into the beginning stages of a HM raid later today around 4:30pm? You know you want to!

thanks for the run nami, breezy, gunawi, raiden and jiga

Unrelated but what scope do people like for the 1000 yard stare? Year one it was all about short gaze but I noticed there's some new scopes

Hope for the best and expect the worst. No more disappointment :)

I'm always kind of shocked by the number of posts about not getting loot, but then I have to remind myself that the majority must have never played an MMO before. I always just assume everyone's loot experience is more Diablo-like, where you get a new piece of loot every 10 or so minutes. In that context, it's some bullshit.

What are the chances someone wants to let a lowly 305 into the beginning stages of a HM raid later today around 4:30pm? You know you want to!

Well coming from a background that involved WoW and the various systems guilds like to employ regarding loot, as well as the most recent 'personal' loot systems, it's still a damned tragedy at what Destiny is employing.

kidko

You will know the details of our suffering as we continue this cycle of disappointment, as it bores into the brains of the poor people staying up late at night in order to start anew in, at this time, a repetitive raid that we've done over and over again and you shall listen to the shrieks and the lament of those who gained nothing in their adventures, nothing but a sad smile saying 'thanks guys' at the end of the raid and then leaving to do their business whilst they look at the disappointing shards that they acquired, these shards that are completely useless and do nothing but compound our sorrow of the dire items that have been earned, to look towards another week of waiting and watching and hoping that the creators of this damned game are paying attention instead of watching their lapdogs who will bark in agreement at everything they say because of the modicum of attention that is provided to them, those that are afraid to speak out against their masters because they want this continued attention, not until those perish and we reign supreme and changes, sufficient changes are made to the raid and systems at hand, lest this dew of enjoyment dry up, this blooming flower shrivel up because of the indecency of the caretakers to fix their own game.

That's the sad part. How many bugs are there that they haven't fixed. Crucible drops, Quiver for nightstalkers,...but when it comes to black spindle dropping at 310, better get on that ASAP! one relaly does get tired from inconsistencies and amateur responses.

Help me Fallout 4, you're my only hope (of escape)

ocean

Banned
Sigh any Destiny news elicits people coming in talking about how they quit or its bullshit or not enough content.

Right now for US$60 you get a shooter with:

- 27 PvP maps
- 7 permanent playlists and 3 rotating weekly playlists
- A ~40 mission campaign which should take maybe 20-25 hours to complete I guess? Roughly in line with a long FPS campaign
- 13 Strikes (3-man missions which are more elaborate, with matchmaking)
- An Arena which should have been a horde but it just underwhelming tbh. Best boss fight in the game in my opinion is here though.
- 3 Raids with 2 difficulty levels each (6 man highly elaborate missions which offer unique rewards). 1 of these is the current "endgame" and has a new Challenge mode coming up soon
- 5 fairly large free roam areas for low level dicking around and trying weapons out

This is absolutely puny by MMO standards, but this is a shooter first and foremost. I think the delivered content right now is definitely in line with what most shooters offer.

If I bought a game a year ago and didn't like it, what would drive me to click on any thread which mentions the title just to offer a reminder of how I didn't like it and any data which suggests it's been highly successful must be bogus?

Top Bottom