• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Owensboro

Well coming from a background that involved WoW and the various systems guilds like to employ regarding loot, as well as the most recent 'personal' loot systems, it's still a damned tragedy at what Destiny is employing.

Maybe I'm missing something, but from what I remember with Personal Loot you can still roll nothing on a boss, right? In fact, the entire 5-person team can roll nothing on a boss in rare situations. And holy hell DKP, lets not even get into that. On the bright side of Destiny's loot, I like the fact you can still get dupe drops that help you (higher light so you can infuse) and that those drops make whatever weapon you prefer viable again (love that I can keep leveling up my Hung Jury).

All that being said though, I'd still prefer some sort of raid boss token system like WoW did employ. At least that way you're guaranteed of eventually getting a vendor version of a piece of gear you want. The first time I saw "Mouldering Shards" that's what I was hoping was happening and I was super excited! Then I found out what they were really for. An extra roll on loot is nice.... kind of? /cry

If I bought a game a year ago and didn't like it, what would drive me to click on any thread which mentions the title just to offer a reminder of how I didn't like it and any data which suggests it's been highly successful must be bogus?

people want their opinions validated and if something is successful they didn't like there's a feeling of insecurity i guess

I still think moldering shards should be used like Variks' cores.

Collect 20 moldering shards and you can take them to Eris to buy her armor or weapon of the week. (At 315 perhaps?) Or keep it on your character during Oryx and get an extra random roll.

All bosses should drop loot AND moldering shards, since loot has a high chance of being worthless (dupe, lower light level) and essentially being infusion fodder.

All I got was shards shouldn't be a thing.

Zoidberg

Well that run wasn't half bad, weapons were shit, armor was good. You win this round bungalow.

NM Rocket Launcher 308
NM Shotgun 300
HM Shotgun 312
HM Ghost 315
HM Chest (with sniper ammo) 320 from Oryx
HM Boots 317

Still yet to receive either helm, waiting on both for the shaders.

Maybe I'm missing something, but from what I remember with Personal Loot you can still roll nothing on a boss, right? In fact, the entire 5-person team can roll nothing on a boss in rare situations. And holy hell DKP, lets not even get into that. On the bright side of Destiny's loot, I like the fact you can still get dupe drops that help you (higher light so you can infuse) and that those drops make whatever weapon you prefer viable again (love that I can keep leveling up my Hung Jury).

All that being said though, I'd still prefer some sort of raid boss token system like WoW did employ. At least that way you're guaranteed of eventually getting a vendor version of a piece of gear you want. The first time I saw "Mouldering Shards" that's what I was hoping was happening and I was super excited! Then I found out what they were really for. An extra roll on loot is nice.... kind of? /cry

The main difference being that WoW drops come max level. None of this light crap. That's the huge issue right now. When I get the same damn HMG at 306 with the same perk for a 3rd time, there's a problem with the system.

Nuszka

How many bugs are there that they haven't fixed. Crucible drops, Quiver for nightstalkers,...but when it comes to black spindle dropping at 310, better get on that ASAP!

This. That is most likely my biggest issue i have with Bungie for a long time now. I just can't understand anything about it.
Somehow they still manage to introduce new problems for something that works:
- etheric system was good. Bungie :"lets change it to something more RNG so very view will reach highest light level"
- ToO was very popular and fun. Bungie : "lets change the way you get matched, prioritize wins over connection quality, we said we would not do it, but whatever. Oh and the gear, lets make it uninteresting and not worth getting"

I could find more examples, but...
What is the point of it anyway.
We have been going through it for over a year now, and we still keep on complaining.
We all need to realize that we will never get what we want and the way we want it.
Either we need to stop complaining or stop playing at all.
I know i will keep on playing, with having zero expectations for raid drops, increasing my light level.
My quest for tonight - dropping XO from a ledge. To his death, even if it means a wipe.
After doing that i will feel accomplished.

Bungie is on the right track with infusion imo the problem is it's geared toward people with multiple characters

I'm always finding stuff to do with infusion but if I only had 1 character I'd be way more annoyed with drops

talking armor of course the weapons can be easily transferred and more likely to disappoint

I still think moldering shards should be used like Variks' cores.

Collect 20 moldering shards and you can take them to Eris to buy her armor or weapon of the week. (At 315 perhaps?) Or keep it on your character during Oryx and get an extra random roll.

All bosses should drop loot AND moldering shards, since loot has a high chance of being worthless (dupe, lower light level) and essentially being infusion fodder.

All I got was shards shouldn't be a thing.

Yeah the current implementation of shards is nonsense

They need to Upgrade all HoW content to year 2 soon. Doesnt make sense to leave it behind any longer

Zoidberg

Bungie is on the right track with infusion imo the problem is it's geared toward people with multiple characters

I'm always finding stuff to do with infusion but if I only had 1 character I'd be way more annoyed with drops

talking armor of course the weapons can be easily transferred and more likely to disappoint

I only run 1 character and can confirm this. If I get shafted in the raid for a week I can make zero progression. I've got so many weapons I need to infuse up and nothing to infuse them with.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Got an invite last night to HM daughters since someone left. I joined in and we beat them right away and got a 315 Warlock Bond. 2 others got nothing. Felt bad.

wjANVCD.jpg

E92 M3

I seriously can't fucking wait for next week. This loot system is shit. I still don't fucking understand who in Bungie thought was a good idea for some players to get fucking nothing from bosses in hard mode.

Watch them come out and say it's a bug in their system. Just watch.

Always blame the bean counters at Bungie. These are the people that don't play Destiny beyond work and don't extrapolate statistics properly.

(Remember when Bungie said everyone was using an AR and IB just happened with an AR bounty?)

Agent

Welp, preordered the Deluxe Edition of Black Ops III. It is the first COD I've bought in 5 years (since original Black Ops). Mistakes have probably been made, but RIP to Destiny time this weekend.

First game I've bought since Destiny released. It has definitely saved me money from other gaming purchases.

Namikaze1

I think I'm done. Just gonna do the raid with my group later and take a few weeks break. Just need to figure out what game to play till Tuedsay.

Fake edit: forgot I have to pick up First Curse tomorrow.

Edit: You know what else sucks? The whining about the whining. We get it!

Zoidberg

Hmm its weird they are holding back the Ship though o.o

There's a lot of stuff we are still waiting on the ol' patented bungle express time-gated choo choo train to deliver:

Crucible, strike and cryptarch shaders
Theres 3 exotic armor pieces for each class missing
Exotic weapons that were datamined and not in-game (only the vibrator was confirmed by Luke as being scrapped)
Raid ship
Final 3 fragments (tied to challenge mode)
Final part of the ToM quest, or whatever actually gives us the shader for completing the old hunger

Owensboro

The main difference being that WoW drops come max level. None of this light crap. That's the huge issue right now. When I get the same damn HMG at 306 with the same perk for a 3rd time, there's a problem with the system.

At the moment it seems equivalent to Wow's system where a raid item can drop with an extra Gem Slot, bonus stat, or be "war forged" and 6 item levels higher. If all you care about is the 6 item levels you're going to be running bosses over and over until it drops as War Forged.

Also, don't take this as me defending the system, I'm just pointing out how an alternate version works. Quality of Life improvements (boss tokens, a somewhat smart loot system, the ability to combine dupes to increase item levels, perhaps the ability to smash X amount of items together to make one higher level item, etc.) would be super welcome.

The game has always been geared towards making you have multiple characters. They want to keep us suckers playing as long and as much as possible after all. As someone with multiple characters, I'm glad I have something else to shoot for (infusion fodder for my main) other than just Exotic Weapons.

Namikaze1

There's a lot of stuff we are still waiting on the ol' patented bungle express time-gated choo choo train to deliver:

Crucible, strike and cryptarch shaders
Theres 3 exotic armor pieces for each class missing
Exotic weapons that were datamined and not in-game (only the vibrator was confirmed by Luke as being scrapped)
Raid ship
Final 3 fragments (tied to challenge mode)
Final part of the ToM quest, or whatever actually gives us the shader for completing the old hunger
Don't forget about this other ship that looks like the new New Monarchy ship.

Owensboro

What's the Nightfall this week? I hate how they updated Bungie's website so it only says "Launches a Random Nightfall Strike" on the emblem, and no longer says which it is under "My Legend". At least it shows the modifiers....I guess...

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
What's the Nightfall this week? I hate how they updated Bungie's website so it only says "Launches a Random Nightfall Strike" on the emblem, and no longer says which it is under "My Legend". At least it shows the modifiers....I guess...

Mr bullet sponge in Mars I believe.

Zoidberg

Don't forget about this other ship that looks like the new New Monarchy ship.

Speaking of ships, why did they add so many ships to the crucible/strike playlists in HoW, yet we got no new ones for TTK? We can't even get the HoW ones to drop as that playlist doesn't exist anymore (I think you can get them from PoE?).

Small things could make the strikes and crucible a lot more appetizing:

All strikes/maps in the playlist
Shaders in loot pool
Ships in loot pool

I seriously can't fucking wait for next week. This loot system is shit. I still don't fucking understand who in Bungie thought was a good idea for some players to get fucking nothing from bosses in hard mode.

Watch them come out and say it's a bug in their system. Just watch.

Yeah, stupid stupid STUPID design choice. There should ALWAYS be a drop on HM, fair enough if they want to RNG the light but to have RNG to see if people get a drop or not is just insane.

I only run 1 character and can confirm this. If I get shafted in the raid for a week I can make zero progression. I've got so many weapons I need to infuse up and nothing to infuse them with.

Why not make another character of the same class if you dont want to bother with running other classes.

Getting to level 40 is easier than ever then you can take a stab at the raid etc 3 times.

Bradach

anyone know who the T3 CoO boss is this week?

(if its mini crota I get a touch of malice this week!)

EDIT: yes, its mini crota. Bring on the ToM!!

Top Bottom