• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

MikeyMike

Address both of your points: I believe it's better to not do something than half-ass it. It needs to be done right or not at all. That is my opinion. I'm sure people quit, but that doesn't really matter because Bungie didn't compromise their vision for the raids. All it takes is one person to make a boss fight go from 10 minutes to 3 hours.

An in game LFG would do wonders, though.

It's all good... they'll work something out for Destiny 2.

Kyoufu

Address both of your points: I believe it's better to not do something than half-ass it.

Sadly, vanilla Destiny to me was nothing but half-assed content and gameplay systems. It was pretty crazy how much I loathed the game back then and then how much I started to enjoy it once they made improvements.

Bogeypop

I understand that concern, it certainly is a valid concern, however, speaking for myself here, I quit vanilla Destiny because I didn't have a raid group.

I'm willing to bet my GAF and PSN account that I wasn't the only one to do that.

You're right. I myself quit shortly after Crota's End HM came out because I didn't have a group and didn't constantly want to join new groups waiting for people to relearn the raid.. How times have still not changed. Wish my group could all get together more regularly.

ocean

Banned
In a game where Bungie couldn't even be arsed to make really different drops between NM and HM KF? ^^
For it to work, they would get to play a longer version of a strike, and end up feeling completely unimpressed by what they just played, not understanding the people telling them how cool the raids are. And they would get crappier rewards than what we already are getting, can you imagine that? ^^
It's a LOT of work for a "meh" result, in the current state of the game.
Meh for us. But it means making compelling content for the vast majority of the player base.

Raids are hyper dev-intensive and generate press but honestly, most dudes out there don't play them at all or maybe just once. I also think the raids are already fairly easy. They wouldn't need that much dumbing down.

Imagine this:

KF launched a while ago, tons of news on strats and stuff has been released. People have had time to level up. Next week, an Easy KF opens. 280 Light. 280-300 drops. Impossible to join if you're even 1 light below the activity level (unlike the 40 below leeway you get elsewhere). Matchmaking. Easier DPS checks, more forgiving timing. Simplified mechanics (show Warpriest totem order from the front instead of the back, let people jump on platforms at roughly the same time instead of in order, whatever).

Absolute garbage for us but still, quite likely, the most popular Raid in the game. And it doesn't detract from us at all. Quite the contrary. It helps randos (who you'll eventually pair up with in strikes or PvP or whatever) gear up and learn a bit more about the game. Basically a Raid equivalent to what PoE 28 was.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
After last weeks drops dunno if I can bother with Nightfall again. Anyone get decent drops this week?

Kyoufu

You're right. I myself quit shortly after Crota's End HM came out because I didn't have a group and didn't constantly want to join new groups waiting for people to relearn the raid.. How times have still not changed. Wish my group could all get together more regularly.

You made it far. I quit right after clearing normal mode VoG. Just didn't have a group at the time and the concept of using external sites or even GAF to do raid tier content was just so foreign to me.

I was not a 1% of the 1% back then and it was rough.

2 more spots left for Hard Mode Raid:

1. XchildofhateX
2. F0X-AIV3E
3. Greyblade
4. Greyblade's friend

Jakfu, if you don't mind waiting 40-50 minutes, we're starting a fresh hard mode raid. Just quote this post.

I'll go ahead and jump in as well if Liam and I can't get more before then. So have a back up.

there is no reason why Trials of Osiris shouldn't have matchmaking.

if Elminination is on the playlist, then take your chances with what you get

if the game's modes are problematic relating to communication, checkpoints, to enable matchmaking for certain modes, then maybe it's the game that is the problem not being properly set up for such modes.

IMO, the Tower should have lounges for people want to form groups and Bungie should transform the Dead Orbit lounge area as a place to form groups.

My biggest complaint about the game is the need to ''beg' for a group and waiting for a reply. It's like online dating

LFG is an aweful place, awful and dreadful.

Personally, I haven't completed the raid yet, i joined a newbie team last week-end and after 6 hours people folded tent. So i never got a completion

LTWood12

if the game's modes are problematic relating to communication, checkpoints, to enable matchmaking for certain modes, then maybe it's the game that is the problem not being properly set up for such modes.

IMO, the Tower should have lounges for people want to form groups and Bungie should transform the Dead Orbit lounge area as a place to form groups.

My biggest complaint about the game is the need to ''beg' for a group and waiting for a reply. It's like online dating

Personally, I haven't completed the raid yet, i joined a newbie team last week-end and after 6 hours people folded tent. So i never got a completion

There's too much at stake in trials for matchmaking. Matchmade fireteams are disposable.

spyder_ur

Finally ordered a new controller from Amazon as mine had all the problems you regularly hear about - eroding thumbsticks, squeaky triggers, terrible battery life. Checked out on Amazon and was able to get it delivered today for free - that's the first time I'd seen that option on something I bought. Sweet.

ocean

Banned

There's actually a great reason why Trials shouldn't have matchmaking. The whole point is being competitive and matching a random pug completely does away with the spirit of the event. The whole point of it is being a teams vs teams playlist.

There's too much at stake in trials for matchmaking. Matchmade fireteams are disposable.

I just want to clear the bounties in Trials.

if people want to go 9-0, nothing is stopping them from forming groups.

IMO, the bounties is all a care about out of Trials. Just jump in, do my best, then be glad to actually get something.

ocean

Banned
I just want to clear the bounties in Trial.

IMO, the bounties is all a care about out of Trials. Just jump in, do my best, then be glad to actually get something.
That makes sense. But it becomes regular Crucible at that point. It would be Trials in name only. I'm sorry you didn't find a group to get your bounties but this is basically asking for the activity to become a joke with amazing loot. It would eliminate the thrill of not knowing who you're up against next. A solid win wouldn't be something to feel good about either just oh lol poor randos.

Having a teams vs teams playlist is probably the best thing that's happened to the game. Without it, HoW would have seen the population nosedive so, so hard.

PuMa

I just want to clear the bounties in Trials.

I agree. With the way ToO bounties are now, I don't think MM would be an issue. It would definitely make it easier for those of us forming fireteam groups!

That makes sense. But it becomes regular Crucible at that point. It would be Trials in name only. I'm sorry you didn't find a group to get your bounties but this is basically asking for the activity to become a joke with amazing loot. It would eliminate the thrill of not knowing who you're up against next. A solid win wouldn't be something to feel good about either just oh lol poor randos.

Having a teams vs teams playlist is probably the best thing that's happened to the game. Without it, HoW would have seen the population nosedive so, so hard.

then how does one get out of the purgatory of being below 299?

Nabbis

LFG normal kings fall, fresh. 301 light hunter. Could try hard mode, but i haven't done any research regarding it.

PSN: Snarfsnarfy

Namikaze1

Everything should have matchmaking.

Even watching the TTK trailer in the director.

"Searching for players 1/6"

"Searching for players 5/6"

*two drops out*

"Searching for players 3/6"

*3 are added*

"Searching for players 6/6"

"Starting video"

Joke post

I still don't see how it would be an issue. It just means the pre-made fireteams may get an easy win in one of their first couple of matches. I cannot see a match made group going flawless

Meh for us. But it means making compelling content for the vast majority of the player base.

Raids are hyper dev-intensive and generate press but honestly, most dudes out there don't play them at all or maybe just once. I also think the raids are already fairly easy. They wouldn't need that much dumbing down.

Imagine this:

KF launched a while ago, tons of news on strats and stuff has been released. People have had time to level up. Next week, an Easy KF opens. 280 Light. 280-300 drops. Impossible to join if you're even 1 light below the activity level (unlike the 40 below leeway you get elsewhere). Matchmaking. Easier DPS checks, more forgiving timing. Simplified mechanics (show Warpriest totem order from the front instead of the back, let people jump on platforms at roughly the same time instead of in order, whatever).

Absolute garbage for us but still, quite likely, the most popular Raid in the game. And it doesn't detract from us at all. Quite the contrary. It helps randos (who you'll eventually pair up with in strikes or PvP or whatever) gear up and learn a bit more about the game. Basically a Raid equivalent to what PoE 28 was.

You underestimate how difficult it can be for players to even figure out what they're supposed to do, even when there's resources like Youtube and Reddit where they can watch the fights or have them explained.

There's a decent amount of players who have to be legitimately carried through the content as it is. If you put an entire team of those players together, not only will they be utterly confused but they'll cannibalize each other.

And while that may not affect us directly... we were just talking yesterday about how game designers are forced to placate the casual majority because that's where the money is. It's better to encourage that casual majority to reach higher than throw them in the deep end and have them walk away hating the game as a result. People will hate the bad experience or if Bungie makes the raids too easy, they'll get bored even faster than GAF does at normal difficulty and either way they'll shout their grievances from the rooftops.

That's a worse look than players quitting because they can't get a group together for raids.

Top Bottom