• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

ocean

Banned
doesn't it affect Iron Banner?
Barely noticeable. "Power matters" is basically bullshit if you take it to mean higher light = stomping others.

The only reason "power matters" in IB/Trials is you can't use Y1 weapons (which are generally better than the new stuff). So you won't see Messenger, Shadow of Veils, perfect rolled Benevolence / Matador / Part Crasher, Thorn (still the only HC with 3 body shot kill) and the rest of the gang.

Namikaze1

I find all this funny. Some folks all up for raid MM now against ToO MM.

For raid MM, let folks have it but just for NM and it has to be optional. I know folks who would like to go in alone for screenshots and whatnot.

If people want ToO MM, let them have it. Doesn't hurt anyone on either side. It actually benefits premade teams looking for flawless...
(but they first need to address that damn lag)

Shiv47

Does anyone know if you use the jumping in a friend's quests to skip the Taken War champion-killing stuff, once you finish the King's Decay and Entropy's Pinnacle, will that trigger the artifact to drop from Eris if you've already done the raid, or do you need to do it again with the Summoner's Circle mission officially dropped?

ocean

Banned
I still don't see how it would be an issue. It just means the pre-made fireteams may get an easy win in one of their first couple of matches. I cannot see a match made group going flawless
At that point you can let people complete the bounties in Control too. 9 consecutive wins in Clash? Here's Lighthouse for you.

The whole reason Trials is exciting is it's the only place you have teams vs teams. Add matchmaking and it's literally just normal Crucuble with hyper jacked up rewards.

Kyoufu

If people want ToO MM, let's them have it. Doesn't hurt anyone on either side. It actually benefits premade teams looking for flawless...

Nami, that's the whole reason why they won't allow MM for ToO. They want people to earn their flawless, not by stomping randoms.

For raid MM, let folks have it but just for NM and it has to be optional. I know folks who would like to go in alone for screenshots and whatnot.

If people want ToO MM, let's them have it. Doesn't hurt anyone on either side. It actually benefits premade teams looking for flawless...

Why not HM as well? Mechanically speaking there is very little difference in any of the raids HM versions. If they can do NM chances are they can do HM with the right light level.

I'll join. PSN churmom

Aaaaand we're a go. Fresh Hard Mode King's Fall:

1. XchildofhateX
2. F0X-AIV3E
3. Greyblade
4. Greyblade's friend
5. Jakfu
6. churmom

I'll send out party chat invites soon.

Does anyone know if you use the jumping in a friend's quests to skip the Taken War champion-killing stuff, once you finish the King's Decay and Entropy's Pinnacle, will that trigger the artifact to drop from Eris if you've already done the raid, or do you need to do it again with the Summoner's Circle mission officially dropped?

Nope. You need to finish all the quests BEFORE doing the raid. In essence, you skip most of the Taken War stuff and do the most pertinent quests, then finish Raid. After that go to Eris and get your artifact.

Namikaze1

Why not HM as well? Mechanically speaking there is very little difference in any of the raids HM versions. If they can do NM chances are they can do HM with the right light level.
You want to test the field first. Let it just be NM. See how that works out and later, if NM MM is a success, open it up to HM. That's how I would do it personally.

You have to finish the Summoner's Circle mission. This will give you the Road to King's Fall mission, then you have to finish the raid. AFAIK there's no shortcut within the shortcut.

If people want ToO MM, let them have it. Doesn't hurt anyone on either side. It actually benefits premade teams looking for flawless...

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

You should get a quest from Eris besides the hunger pains, that requires you to kill the raid bosses. Talk to Eris for the artifact afterwards.

ocean

Banned

"Some folks" would be me :)

The thing is, adding MM to PvE content doesn't affect me at all, whereas adding MM to Trials means you might as well forget the name and Vance and everything. Just add the bounties to the Tower bounty bot and have people do 'em anywhere.

There's a reason Trials gear > IB gear. Sure, Mercury would be easier. But you wouldn't have people looking for others to play Trials all weekend long. Just like you haven't seen any posts today with people looking to group up for Elimination.

Matchmade Trials = normal Crucible with endgame rewards from easy bounties and none of the thrill it currently offers.

You want to test the field first. Let it just be NM. See how that works out and later, if NM MM is a success, open it up to HM. That's how I would do it personally.

I suppose so. They could always lock HM MM behind a 310 light wall to make sure only people who have done it alot can get in.

ich00

Optional matchmaking would be great. It's the same as going to an LFG site looking for a fireteam, without the stupid requirements that people ask for. It's obviously not for everyone. Besides what's to stop someone from leaving a fireteam if they don't like the people or not everyone is on mic, its not that hard to go to orbit and re-enter matchmaking.

PuMa

"Some folks" would be me :)

The thing is, adding MM to PvE content doesn't affect me at all, whereas adding MM to Trials means you might as well forget the name and Vance and everything. Just add the bounties to the Tower bounty bot and have people do 'em anywhere.

There's a reason Trials gear > IB gear. Sure, Mercury would be easier. But you wouldn't have people looking for others to play Trials all weekend long. Just like you haven't seen any posts today with people looking to group up for Elimination.

Matchmade Trials = normal Crucible with endgame rewards from easy bounties and none of the thrill it currently offers.

I disagree. You'd have to get wicked lucky to be MM into a ToO group that gets you to Mercury.

Shiv47

Nope. You need to finish all the quests BEFORE doing the raid. In essence, you skip most of the Taken War stuff and do the most pertinent quests, then finish Raid. After that go to Eris and get your artifact.

You have to finish the Summoner's Circle mission. This will give you the Road to King's Fall mission, then you have to finish the raid. AFAIK there's no shortcut within the shortcut.

You should get a quest from Eris besides the hunger pains, that requires you to kill the raid bosses. Talk to Eris for the artifact afterwards.

Okay, that's fine, I just want to skip the killing champions on each planet part, so the extra step isn't as big a deal.

ocean

Banned
I disagree. You'd have to get wicked lucky to be MM into a ToO group that gets you to Mercury.
Now, sure. With the player pool full of randoms? It would be akin to spending the afternoon playing Skirmish or Elimination. Have even a single buddy join your party and 5-10-play until you fall asleep-streaks aren't rare.

Trials isn't like that because it's always teams vs teams. That's literally the only reason it's different from the Elimination playlist on the Director.

And mind you, I'm not some pro trying to keep the masses from the Lighthouse or any of that. I'm average on my best days. But I still enjoy the thrill and challenge of Trials, even when I get my ass handed to me. Diluting that spirit of competitiveness by turning it into a normal playlist doesn't sound like a positive to me.

And the ToO isn't even worthwhile this time around. It is by far, the most aesthetically pleasing armor, but the weapons are nothing to rave about. I forgot I got the adept HC on my Titan. I used it this morning in the Daily story for about 10 seconds.

PuMa

Now, sure. With the player pool full of randoms? It would be akin to spending the afternoon playing Skirmish or Elimination. Have even a single buddy join your party and 5-10-play until you fall asleep-streaks aren't rare.

Trials isn't like that because it's always teams vs teams. That's literally the only reason it's different from the Elimination playlist on the Director.

And mind you, I'm not some pro trying to keep the masses from the Lighthouse or any of that. I'm average on my best days. But I still enjoy the thrill and challenge of Trials, even when I get my ass handed to me. Diluting that spirit of competitiveness by turning it into a normal playlist doesn't sound like a positive to me.

I don't think that's the ONLY different between ToO and regular Elimination though. Just the fact that people are fighting for those 9-0 cards really adds a level of intensity in Trials in my opinion. That's the real difference, MM or no.

Haven't kept up with the news lately, but are 320 exotics dropping out of engrams yet? I know 310+ exotics were dropping in ToO from reward packages, but I haven't seen anything about decrypting them from engrams yet.

ocean

Banned
And the ToO isn't even worthwhile this time around. It is by far, the most aesthetically pleasing armor, but the weapons are nothing to rave about. I forgot I got the adept HC on my Titan. I used it this morning in the Daily story for about 10 seconds.
Well that's cause all HCs are in a bad spot. Trials weapons last time around vs now:

- HC? Jewel was beautiful. New one is lower impact = better TTK. Great roll and stats, meh bc HC nerf
- Scout? Last year's was max impact, this one is high RoF full auto. Very different but both pretty good
- Shotgun? Nobody used it
- Fusion? Nobody uses any of them
- Sniper? Super good roll and stats but low impact. Still great for 6v6 (like Y2)
- RL? Super popular. Y2 probably will be too.
- MG? it was good, but BTRD owned the field and few people used them anyways. Expect the same from Y2 (outclassed by Quill's but still good)

Other than the Pulse dropping from the God-tier Messenger archetype, everything is at least as good as it was. And the armor now gets cool perks we didn't get before like Second Wind (I fucking love this perk). Plus there's the whole aesthetic aspect. I'd rather stop playing than settle on a loadout that uses KF gear, it looks absolutely gross.

Now Trials drops are easier to get than ever, and it's all as good and good looking as ever, and Lighthouse runs are more competitive than ever. Great times. Just sucks it's laggier now.

I support fire team MM on raids, but I have to agree with ocean about ToO MM. Despite the fact that I would benefit tremendously by having the skill pool dilluted in ToO, and actually have a shot at Mercury, it kind of defeats the purpose of ToO. Exclusive team v team PvP is the bread and butter of ToO. Also, a fireteam of 3 players is consistent throughout Destiny. Getting that same group together for PvP activity isn't a stretch. However, getting 6 people together for a raid can be a stretch for many groups. That is why they should take the exact same MM they have in ToO right now and put it in raids. Instead of having those two comparable fire teams square off in PvP, allow them to join each other in PvE raids. Or as we have said countless times, make dedicated socials spaces within the existing ones with tools to facilitate in-game LFG/LFM. The idea that Tower and Vestian Outpost were ever billed as social spaces is embarrassing.

NF's done

1. 294 Ghost
2. 10 3oC
3. 300 Ghost

No rep, no xp buff, no cool flames around my guardian's head...why do I bother???

Thanks Bungie.

You'll be doing it again next week! ;)

Glad that I decided to break away from Destiny. No loot at raid encounters and nothing worthwhile in the NFs was bad, but how they messed up Trials is what pushed me over the edge. Will be enjoying a nice long break.

ocean

Banned
I don't think that's the ONLY different between ToO and regular Elimination though. Just the fact that people are fighting for those 9-0 cards really adds a level of intensity in Trials in my opinion. That's the real difference, MM or no.
That's just keeping score. But the fact of the matter is that, yellow dots on your screen or not, winning consecutive matches of Elimination or Skirmish isn't as challenging or thrilling or exciting as it is in trials because of the matchmaking situation, which is why I understand the rewards are different.

With the current state of the economy and endgame, matchmade trials giving the gear it does would be akin to having the Heroic Strrike streak start dropping 307 stuff. Or, again, giving me a 310-320 primary for winning 7 consecutive matches of any playlist. Just seems a little odd.

But I'll let it go since I'm apparently in the minority for liking a teams vs teams exclusive playlist?

I guess Luke forgot to have a chat with the team about that. :(

Raid bosses should not give 300 stuff. I can get those in easier content like a blue engram or Nightfalls.

The whole 10 light level RNG thing on gear is just junk though. I don't understand Bungie at all.

Yea regardless, it shouldn't be RNG on RNG. Xzibit is the only person that would approve.

Kilau

Now that is one hell of a raid wipe.

HmkLveM.png

MikeyMike

Haven't kept up with the news lately, but are 320 exotics dropping out of engrams yet? I know 310+ exotics were dropping in ToO from reward packages, but I haven't seen anything about decrypting them from engrams yet.

310 is still the maximum LL for exotic engrams.

EDIT : Ignore this post. As someone who doesn't PVP in this game, I'm wrong on this one.

Well that's cause all HCs are in a bad spot. Trials weapons last time around vs now:

- HC? Jewel was beautiful. New one is lower impact = better TTK. Great roll and stats, meh bc HC nerf
- Scout? Last year's was max impact, this one is high RoF full auto. Very different but both pretty good
- Shotgun? Nobody used it
- Fusion? Nobody uses any of them
- Sniper? Super good roll and stats but low impact. Still great for 6v6 (like Y2)
- RL? Super popular. Y2 probably will be too.
- MG? it was good, but BTRD owned the field and few people used them anyways. Expect the same from Y2 (outclassed by Quill's but still good)

Other than the Pulse dropping from the God-tier Messenger archetype, everything is at least as good as it was. And the armor now gets cool perks we didn't get before like Second Wind (I fucking love this perk). Plus there's the whole aesthetic aspect. I'd rather stop playing than settle on a loadout that uses KF gear, it looks absolutely gross.

Now Trials drops are easier to get than ever, and it's all as good and good looking as ever, and Lighthouse runs are more competitive than ever. Great times. Just sucks it's laggier now.

I'm all for the new bounty/reward system. Just go back to the old MM, which was better IMHO, fix the lag, and I'm happy. The new weapon meta is what it is. We will never have another Messenger or anything like it. We will just have good archetype weapons and different flavors of them.

3 bonds (303, 316 and 320!), two garbage ass auto rifles and a 310 Truth. Pretty uneventful raid. My Warlock is still helmetless ;_;

Running the relic on the Warlock felt pretty ok. It's still worse than what a titan is capable of but it's fine. Main difference was the timing beat the vessel when picking up the relic from the back is tighter.

Top Bottom