• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Kyoufu

What do you guys think of Life Leech on the raid MG?

Three rapid kills heals a small amount and starts health regeneration.

Deku Tree

No one at Bungie/Activision bothered to correct that article when it was released though. It sure was in their best interest to wait until now to clear the air.

Well I don't know what they could have said... but Bungie/Activision could not have commented on DLC that they haven't acknowledged even exists up to this point.

Yeah it would have been nice to know their plans. But we still don't know their plans even with this conference call comment.

Don't buy the dances thinking that you are funding free DLC... buy them if you want them. That is all.

ich00

What do you guys think of Life Leech on the raid MG?

Three rapid kills heals a small amount and starts health regeneration.

That's the perk I have on mine, I notice it everyone in a while. It comes in handy in the raid in a few places if clearing adds.

I would disagree - the conversation can always use nuance.

I mean there are plenty of people who dislike the new matchmaking on the grounds that it makes Lighthouse harder and that if anything changes should be made to make it accessible to all.

I think it's worth mentioning that I hope they go back to the old system while explaining the rationale for it: connection quality is king. Whether it makes the mode harder or easier is irrelevant, it's all about the connection because it impacts the fun and experience directly.

You're adding fantasy, not nuance. Black and white issues (like laggy Trials) are hurt by imposed nuance, not helped. I'm sorry for being harsh about this point but it's important. HoW Trials was compelling because of the game mode, the competition, the loot and the connection quality (which was noticably better than any other Crucible). Connection vs skill based MM is always a trade-off, this isn't hindsight.

It doesn't matter if people like or dislike the new MM for making Mercury more or less accessible. Connection is king, like you said. I just don't understand why you insist on defending this "in a perfect world" position. New bounties are great. New MM is terrible.

E92 M3

I am not expecting much from this November patch. Hopefully this Thursday Deej tells us a little more. Really want QOL and economy changes.

ich00

I am not expecting much from this November patch. Hopefully this Thursday Deej tells us a little more. Really want QOL and economy changes.

I don't expect much anymore out of those updates. They usually paint broad strokes, probably in case something needs to be chnaged last minute. The patch notes are the only things I get hypes for most of the time.

flkraven

What difference does it make? If you like a dance you buy it. If you don't think it's worth it you don't.

How does DLC in the future have anything to do with that? Unless you're suggesting some people bought a dance thinking that made them an angel investor putting money into unannounced content leaked by a journalist but never confirmed or even acknowledged by the publisher or developer.

There was very little outcry regarding adding microtransactions into a game that is already a full priced product + dlc (OG Destiny players have already paid, at minimum $60 + $35 + $40 over the past 13 months). The reason was because it was implied that the microtransaction were replacing dlc. Maybe it was the Kotaku article in tandem with the fact that DLC/Season 2 pass has not been mentioned, but this was clearly an assumption made by most of the community.

I'm sure that if they cleared the air prior to the microtransactions' release, there would have been a much larger outcry and countless negative articles. I believe a few people bought some dances and stuff during the Halloween event simply to support the live team. I wonder how they feel about paid DLC still coming out.

You're adding fantasy, not nuance. Black and white issues (like laggy Trials) are hurt by imposed nuance, not helped. I'm sorry for being harsh about this point but it's important. HoW Trials was compelling because of the game mode, the competition, the loot and the connection quality (which was noticably better than any other Crucible). Connection vs skill based MM is always a trade-off, this isn't hindsight.

It doesn't matter if people like or dislike the new MM for making Mercury more or less accessible. Connection is king, like you said. I just don't understand why you insist on defending this "in a perfect world" position. New bounties are great. New MM is terrible.

Thank you Drizz for being able to eloquently explain what I cannot in my post Trial loss rants.

I really think Bungie can solve some of these end game issues by repurposing PoE. They acknowledged in an interview a while ago that they need something in between strikes and the raid but if they were hoping for CoO to fill that role then it isn't doing the trick. They need an activity about 20-30 minutes long that rewards decent loot, is fun but not too 'mechanic-y' and can be matchmade. I exclude NFs because they are just harder strikes. They'd need to change some stuff about PoE, make it more exciting, but a Horde mode would fit the bill nicely.

Lothars

No one at Bungie/Activision bothered to correct that article when it was released though. It sure was in their best interest to wait until now to clear the air.
I think what's more telling is that there hasn't been another season pass or expansion pass released yet? I am more on the side that the dlc packs will be included and the next pay for expansion is destiny 2 in september.

Kyoufu

First KF clear of the week:

320 Sniper
319 Mark

and this...

8kLZANo.gif

Bullshit 320

ocean

Banned
There was very little outcry regarding adding microtransactions into a game that is already a full priced product + dlc (OG Destiny players have already paid, at minimum $60 + $35 + $40 over the past 13 months). The reason was because it was implied that the microtransaction were replacing dlc. Maybe it was the Kotaku article in tandem with the fact that DLC/Season 2 pass has not been mentioned, but this was clearly an assumption made by most of the community.

I'm sure that if they cleared the air prior to the microtransactions' release, there would have been a much larger outcry and countless negative articles. I believe a few people bought some dances and stuff during the Halloween event simply to support the live team. I wonder how they feel about paid DLC still coming out.
Negative outcry over cosmetic stuff being sold?

Imagine free DLC had never been mentioned. Scratch that, imagine a Y2 Season Pass were already on sale with 2 new expansions in the pipeline (the dream).

Having a cosmetics marketplace in this scenario would be no different than it is now. The game is basically the same with or without Thriller dances. I'd say it's a little better, but regardless of whatever DLC model they follow it certainly isn't worse.

I just don't see why there would have been any outcry at all over this, paid DLC or no, full price game or no. The issue is always what gets sold, not whether something gets sold. And that mini crisis happened anyways (they're gonna sell Raid loot rolls I knew it!!!!! Argh blah)

The current storefront is purely optional, purely cosmetic and thus purely benign. Why would anyone mind if dances are sold?

Hey Drizz! Did the reset scrub team finish 3x raids today? How was the loot? Are the ZW bros 319 yet? Why is ji66a not playing halo5? :p

Yo Rufus! Yeah we finished 3x HM in about 4 hours. Shoulda been closer to 3 hrs but we scrubbed our first two Oryx kills real hard. Nothing worse than wiping that fight on the fourth or fifth cycle, so tedious.

I had decent loot, much better than last week. Finally got my first ever 320 item (it was also my first Hunter helmet). I think my characters will all be 313-315 now. ZW bros and Jigga are all running into the problem with the very end endgame: since they had good luck early and were already 316-317 the odds of getting a better drop now are super slim. Getting a 320 Ghost is great but also means every future Ghost drop is useless.

Imo raid gear should dismantle into a consumable that raises the Light of any gear by 1 point. Maybe have a separate normal raid item that caps at 310 but that way every raid drop would be worth something. Slow, but consistent, progression would feel good and encourage people to raid each week.

XenoRaven

That's exactly the reason I unsubbed from FFXIV a few months ago. Doing Fractal and Neverreap for Esoterics every week is just not something I want to do. Alex savage is pretty nasty too and I hate the token system. It's just not fun for me. Destiny doesn't have a monthly sub so the endgame is kinda tolerable.
It seems they got tired of the hardcore raid groups clearing all their content in a week by doing ridiculous multi-million gil materia melds on their gear, so they got rid of that and made the raids way harder. The problem is that it pushes the more casual raid groups like my old one out. We were all good players, but we all had jobs and kids, and conflicting schedules and could only raid 5-6 hours a week. Throwing ourselves at A1 over and over until we got the gear to meet the DPS check and then throwing ourselves at A2 over and over just stopped being fun. And like you said, there's only two dungeons to grind tomes from and they're boring.

I didn't unsub, and I'm going to play again when the new patch hits, but I'm done with the endgame raids. There's too much good stuff to play to spend so much time grinding out content that I only have fun with like 10% of the time.

Afrocious

@My Reset Raiding Crew:

Would you folks be cool with starting at 6pm instead of 5-530 Eastern? I need to briefly stop somewhere after work.

border

There was very little outcry regarding adding microtransactions into a game that is already a full priced product + dlc (OG Destiny players have already paid, at minimum $60 + $35 + $40 over the past 13 months).

Full-priced games have had cosmetic microtransactions for at least 6-7 years now. People are simply used to it. I doubt the "outrage" would have really been more pronounced if expansion packs were on the horizon.

E92 M3

I don't think Bungie wants to fragment the user base anymore. I can see only one major expansion a year.

Also, for the love of Osiris, please stop excluding Year 1 strikes and PVP maps from the current playlist. It feels like I have less content now.

Kyoufu

Imo raid gear should dismantle into a consumable that raises the Light of any gear by 1 point. Maybe have a separate normal raid item that caps at 310 but that way every raid drop would be worth something. Slow, but consistent, progression would feel good and encourage people to raid each week.

Yeah, I suggested something like this a couple of weeks ago. Moldering Shards should also be used for that because they're currently useless.

Lnkn52

Totally agree.

I hope for everyone's sake something good in Destiny happens within the next few weeks.

Fallout 4: 7 Days
Battlefront: 14 Days
Bloodborne DLC: 21 Days

All I can see so far is challenge mode, obtaining the last 3 calcified fragments and hopefully getting something cool along with unlocking a questline.

A PvP balance patch would also go a long ways.

Afrocious

I'm in the camp of preferring HM raid gear dropping at 320 and nothing lower, but that's crazy talk in some ears.

I'm not a fan of this 310-320 range of drops business in HM KF.

noomi

Dude....

Do you know how many times this has happened to me? Infuriating....

This is by far the hardest part of the raid to me, dodging that fucking shade. I'm so bad at it... sometimes I'll try to jump back or away and that dick still one shots me.

flkraven

Negative outcry over cosmetic stuff being sold?

Imagine free DLC had never been mentioned. Scratch that, imagine a Y2 Season Pass were already on sale with 2 new expansions in the pipeline (the dream).

Having a cosmetics marketplace in this scenario would be no different than it is now. The game is basically the same with or without Thriller dances. I'd say it's a little better, but regardless of whatever DLC model they follow it certainly isn't worse.

I just don't see why there would have been any outcry at all over this, paid DLC or no, full price game or no. The issue is always what gets sold, not whether something gets sold. And that mini crisis happened anyways (they're gonna sell Raid loot rolls I knew it!!!!! Argh blah)

The current storefront is purely optional, purely cosmetic and thus purely benign. Why would anyone mind if dances are sold?

Full-priced games have had cosmetic microtransactions for at least 6-7 years now. People are simply used to it. I doubt the "outrage" would have really been more pronounced if expansion packs were on the horizon.

I should probably qualify that I don't care all that much about the cosmetics being added, nor am I outraged at it. Just playing devils advocate, and trying to create a dialogue about whether or not Activision/Bungie was being disingenuous with the way that this stuff was presented.

Yes, it is just cosmetic stuff, but it wasn't added to the game in the normal sense. It was added via a free-to-play like currency (silver). You don't buy the microtransactions, you buy the currency. It already felt slippery-slopey, but it was okay because this substituted our DLC prices. I guess I'm just beating a dead horse, but the lack of transparency on this front feels a little gross.

Afrocious

Dude....

This is by far the hardest part of the raid to me, dodging that fucking shade. I'm so bad at it... sometimes I'll try to jump back or away and that dick still one shots me.

The only way I know to avoid is to have people who are warped in to hang near the edges of the arena. That way, the echo won't go across the middle all the time to hit people.

I should probably qualify that I don't care all that much about the cosmetics being added, nor am I outraged at it. Just playing devils advocate, and trying to create a dialogue about whether or not Activision/Bungie was being disingenuous with the way that this stuff was presented.

Yes, it is just cosmetic stuff, but it wasn't added to the game in the normal sense. It was added via a free-to-play like currency (silver). You don't buy the microtransactions, you buy the currency. It already felt slippery-slopey, but it was okay because this substituted our DLC prices. I guess I'm just beating a dead horse, but the lack of transparency on this front feels a little gross.

Not that I condone it, but to enjoy Destiny, you'll have to swallow the hard pill that Bungie barely attempts to be transparent where it matters.

border

I hope for everyone's sake something good in Destiny happens within the next few weeks.

It's not as if vanilla Destiny didn't survive CoD: Advanced Warfare, Dragon-Age, Assassin's Creed Unity, and all the other 2014 games that nobody talks or cares about anymore.

None of those titles are even remotely doing what Destiny does, so people will beat them and inevitably return to Destiny. I imagine Battlefront will have an incredibly short shelf-life.

Shiv47

Repost for some top of the page views.

What: HM king's fall! (PS4)
When: tonight 10pm est (earlier if the family is asleep earlier)
Where: dreadnaught
Who: anyone! (I'm not worried too much about light level, 300 would be nice)
1. Ichabod00
2. Austinjohnson34
3. Manthatyoufear
4. Futbol_dude77

Looking to maybe complete my first king's fall raid, got to the daughters last week and couldn't get a group to finish it. Maybe this could become a weekly thing if we want.

Who's with me!?!

I haven't done HM raid yet, but am at the point where I should be able to, at least up to oryx depending on drops. 308 Titan. PSN is shiv2099.

Imo raid gear should dismantle into a consumable that raises the Light of any gear by 1 point.

I suggested something similar a long time ago! Even multi infusion with differences. 301+302 infused to a 305 would give 308. Each worth the difference from 300. Even a +1 like you said would be a step up. Just something to make the lower crap (which shouldn't be there in the first place with rng to obtain) relevant.

Possible solutions

1) add said infusion fodder above
2) make it so the rng gear has guaranteed max light (or even upper half of current range, at worst).
3) make guaranteed gear have rng light, with #1 implemented.

If either 1 or 3, min needs to be +1 what it is now regardless.

Kyoufu

Dude....

Gliding high backwards usually does the job for me, but being spawn killed is some bullshit man.

Thankfully the group 5man'd it fine, but damn, that's really silly.

Thank you Drizz for being able to eloquently explain what I cannot in my post Trial loss rants.

Thanks dude! I got your PSN message, sorry I couldn't help w anymore Trials. I was hoping to get back on in time but barely made it online for the weekly reset. I'll be around this weekend and down for some more games though.

First KF clear of the week:

320 Sniper
319 Mark

and this...

8kLZANo.gif

Bullshit 320

Lol the Shade teleport is so stupid. Both going inside (like your gif) and going back out which occasionally glitches and kills someone for no reason. That fight feels so kitchen-sinky. Much better than Crota, which was not even half baked but closer to 10% baked. Oryx is okay but just... off.

It's not as if vanilla Destiny didn't survive CoD: Advanced Warfare, Dragon-Age, Assassin's Creed Unity, and all the other 2014 games that nobody talks or cares about anymore.

None of those titles are even remotely doing what Destiny does, so people will beat them and inevitably return to Destiny. I imagine Battlefront will have an incredibly short shelf-life.

But it'd be combined with the current state of Destiny. Vanilla was a different state. VoG was something else entirely and we'd run the ground with VoG. Nobody had nearly all the exotics, let alone boots / full gear from VoG. It was in a completely different state all together.

I think Fallout 4 will have the biggest impact. Bloodborne, depending on the length of DLC, can also. It did when it released in March and it has the ability to again. Especially with DGAF being a predominantly PS4 community.

It's not comparing against those games. I'm saying there will be a pretty significant drop-off especially if nothing new happens or changes. There already has been the past week with Halo 5 alone.

Deku Tree

Sometimes I see the shade glitch into the geometry outside of the big black orb thing when I am outside. It looks kind of funny.

Afrocious

Destiny is a game that technically keeps going, so you'd be better off comparing it to games with continuing experiences like MMOs and not games that are meant to be beaten and shelved for the most part.

Nobody cares if people put a game back down to play Destiny, whatever their reason.

Sometimes I see the shade glitch into the geometry outside of the big black orb thing when I am outside. It looks kind of funny.
It's because the shade arena is directly under your feet when you're in the main arena. It's located in the middle walkway in the front area of the Oryx chamber. I think people have claimed that if you're outside and standing in the wrong place, the shade can kill you when it swings it's sword down even when you're outside. Havent seen it happen myself though.

EL CUCO

Yeah, it seems like that part of the fight is going on under the map. Sometimes you'll see the shade's sword sticking out from the ground like a shark fin. It can also kill you if you're close enough to it when he slams it.

All I can see so far is challenge mode, obtaining the last 3 calcified fragments and hopefully getting something cool along with unlocking a questline.

A PvP balance patch would also go a long ways.
I thpught thwy said it would be 7 weeks before the challenges go live?

Imagine if Bethesda had good gameplay in their games.

homersimpsondrool.jpg

Now that's just cold......

Seems like people are finally getting burnt out though. Can't say I blame you guys. I'd love to the old strikes and stuff added back to the playlists though. What's the point in keeping them out now ? I still haven't run the new raid....Only thing I haven't done in TTK so far.

Repost for some top of the page views.

What: HM king's fall! (PS4)
When: tonight 10pm est (earlier if the family is asleep earlier)
Where: dreadnaught
Who: anyone! (I'm not worried too much about light level, 300 would be nice)
1. Ichabod00
2. Austinjohnson34
3. Manthatyoufear
4. Futbol_dude77

Looking to maybe complete my first king's fall raid, got to the daughters last week and couldn't get a group to finish it. Maybe this could become a weekly thing if we want.

Who's with me!?!

I'm down, but I can only play until 1AM EST. Is that okay?

psn: kreepmode

I think I'm already on your friend's list.

Afrocious

It's because the shade arena is directly under your feet when you're in the main arena. It's located in the middle walkway in the front area of the Oryx chamber. I think people have claimed that if you're outside and standing in the wrong place, the shade can kill you when it swings it's sword down even when you're outside. Havent seen it happen myself though.

I can confirm this. I've died to it and have seen others die to it.

This is why, when the warping phase is happening and you're still outside, you don't stand in the middle strip near the orb.

Top Bottom