• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Deku Tree

It's because the shade arena is directly under your feet when you're in the main arena. It's located in the middle walkway in the front area of the Oryx chamber. I think people have claimed that if you're outside and standing in the wrong place, the shade can kill you when it swings it's sword down even when you're outside. Havent seen it happen myself though.

Yeah, it seems like that part of the fight is going on under the map. Sometimes you'll see the shade's sword sticking out from the ground like a shark fin. It can also kill you if you're close enough to it when he slams it.

Wow they really should've moved it a little further under the map so the sword couldn't kill you.

MrS

Banned
My usual team needs 1 guy for 1, maybe 2 depending on how quickly we get through it, HM KFs starting in 30 minutes. Anybody wanna join?

Add Mr-Stephen on PSN if so.

ocean

Banned
I should probably qualify that I don't care all that much about the cosmetics being added, nor am I outraged at it. Just playing devils advocate, and trying to create a dialogue about whether or not Activision/Bungie was being disingenuous with the way that this stuff was presented.

Yes, it is just cosmetic stuff, but it wasn't added to the game in the normal sense. It was added via a free-to-play like currency (silver). You don't buy the microtransactions, you buy the currency. It already felt slippery-slopey, but it was okay because this substituted our DLC prices. I guess I'm just beating a dead horse, but the lack of transparency on this front feels a little gross.
Well actually it's entirely unlike F2P mechanics because you can't get it at all by grinding. It's a flat out purchase or nothing.

I don't know, lack of transparency only holds water if you follow the rumor mill, which Activision and Bungie can't be held accountable for. All they've said is this will fund the Live team. I understood that as meaning regular patches will be easier to manage.

My only disappointment is that the Quiver thing has taken so long to take care of. It's the perfect example of what the Live team should take care of. Them fixing that quickly would have been a huge validation of them smartly using the new revenue stream in our favor.

But any expectations about big content drops for free in the future are pure speculation and rumor and not something which has been officially suggested or even hinted at. I can't call them out on lack of transparency for failing to keep a promise they never made.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Guys, Destiny players are not going to leave the game permanently for some other game. You're here for 10 years, admit it :p

It seems they got tired of the hardcore raid groups clearing all their content in a week by doing ridiculous multi-million gil materia melds on their gear, so they got rid of that and made the raids way harder. The problem is that it pushes the more casual raid groups like my old one out. We were all good players, but we all had jobs and kids, and conflicting schedules and could only raid 5-6 hours a week. Throwing ourselves at A1 over and over until we got the gear to meet the DPS check and then throwing ourselves at A2 over and over just stopped being fun. And like you said, there's only two dungeons to grind tomes from and they're boring.

I didn't unsub, and I'm going to play again when the new patch hits, but I'm done with the endgame raids. There's too much good stuff to play to spend so much time grinding out content that I only have fun with like 10% of the time.

I really enjoyed Heavensward. The story was frickin' amazing. Hopefully the new patch introduces some cool stuff to reinvigorate the game.

stb

I should probably qualify that I don't care all that much about the cosmetics being added, nor am I outraged at it. Just playing devils advocate, and trying to create a dialogue about whether or not Activision/Bungie was being disingenuous with the way that this stuff was presented.

Yes, it is just cosmetic stuff, but it wasn't added to the game in the normal sense. It was added via a free-to-play like currency (silver). You don't buy the microtransactions, you buy the currency. It already felt slippery-slopey, but it was okay because this substituted our DLC prices. I guess I'm just beating a dead horse, but the lack of transparency on this front feels a little gross.

Bungie (Deej) went out of their way to say the MichaelTransjacksons fund the live team, though.

Unqualified "sources" saying something in an article that Kotaku didn't(?) ask Bungie for comment on and people inferring things doesn't change that Bungie explicitly said what the MTs are for.

Also, re: buying currency vs the items directly, I'm pretty sure that this is required by the platform holders. Can anyone confirm/refute?

Dude....

Do you know how many times this has happened to me? Infuriating....

This is by far the hardest part of the raid to me, dodging that fucking shade. I'm so bad at it... sometimes I'll try to jump back or away and that dick still one shots me.

The best is jumping back and getting physicsed into the dome.

Afrocious

TBH, since we're talking about playing other games here and there, I'm thinking about resubbing to Star Wars to check out how progression raiding is like now.

Yo Rufus! Yeah we finished 3x HM in about 4 hours. Shoulda been closer to 3 hrs but we scrubbed our first two Oryx kills real hard. Nothing worse than wiping that fight on the fourth or fifth cycle, so tedious.

I had decent loot, much better than last week. Finally got my first ever 320 item (it was also my first Hunter helmet). I think my characters will all be 313-315 now. ZW bros and Jigga are all running into the problem with the very end endgame: since they had good luck early and were already 316-317 the odds of getting a better drop now are super slim. Getting a 320 Ghost is great but also means every future Ghost drop is useless.

Imo raid gear should dismantle into a consumable that raises the Light of any gear by 1 point. Maybe have a separate normal raid item that caps at 310 but that way every raid drop would be worth something. Slow, but consistent, progression would feel good and encourage people to raid each week.

Safe strat still best for hm Oryx? Does being 315+ make a noticeable difference in the oryx fight as compared to being 311?

Could not finish my raids last week, and I don't even feel bummed out by that. I should have a wired connection in 2-3 days so will try to get 3x raids done this week, but don't have any expectations for loot drops. All 3 toons are 312+ so I'm okay with that.

It's sad to see so many regular players say they will be taking a long break from TTK, not because they have exhausted the endgame but because the endgame is in such a poor state right now - being rewarded with absolutely nothing for the efforts is infuriating.

A loot game that doesn't give loot - the irony writes itself. Have not seen Luke post in a while so I'm hoping they will announce changes/fixes soon. The Halloween stuff was nice but again, to do all those quests and get rewarded with nothing at the end just makes people wonder wtf are they doing.

border

But it'd be combined with the current state of Destiny. Vanilla was a different state. VoG was something else entirely and we'd run the ground with VoG. Nobody had nearly all the exotics, let alone boots / full gear from VoG. It was in a completely different state all together.

I think Fallout 4 will have the biggest impact. Bloodborne, depending on the length of DLC, can also. It did when it released in March and it has the ability to again. Especially with DGAF being a predominantly PS4 community.

Fallout 4 is massive game, but so was The Witcher. People beat it, put it down, and come back whenever there is significant new content in Destiny.

You can't really expect them to maintain player engagement when it's been months since a content release, but presumably we will at the very least have a Christmas event to draw interest.

Lnkn52

Guys, Destiny players are not going to leave the game permanently for some other game. You're here for 10 years, admit it :p

I really enjoyed Heavensward. The story was frickin' amazing. Hopefully the new patch introduces some cool stuff to reinvigorate the game.

I'll leave Destiny for
Destiny 2

Afrocious

As for FF14's heavensward: I'm interested in it, but I'm not done with the vanilla questline yet.

As much as I enjoy FF14's story - and it's quite enjoyable - some of the quests are even grindy to me as someone who enjoys Destiny.

Thanks dude! I got your PSN message, sorry I couldn't help w anymore Trials. I was hoping to get back on in time but barely made it online for the weekly reset. I'll be around this weekend and down for some more games though.

No worries! I know you're a busy guy in our community :)

I just want to get a win with you. You took that loss Sat morning worse than Royal and I. Right after you dropped for your first big post on the latency issues we had. I want to win for Drizz!

Reading the last 8 pages wasn carthartic in a way...

Agro and nami, what time the raid today? Im half asleep atm, dont wanna miss it.

Shito

Bungie needs some crazy new things coming around February, because SF5 will be eating up A LOT of my play time...
Until then I only see myself playing a bit of Tomb Raider and that BB dlc.
Never could get into Fallout or Bethesda games, they are way too buggy for my tastes. ^^

milkham

I'm torn between using that or the one that increases accuracy when firing longer.

Send help.

I never noticed the healing activating on mine, maybe it would be nice during taken phase of Golgoroth, but I had the same choice as you and went for increased accuracy so i can leave the dot on the echo's head in the second half of oryx fight.

Bungie know full well concurrents are going to drop heavily in November and December. Thing is, single player games aren't going to harm the playerbase in the long run, the only one that can take players away for a long period is BO3. I really believe that Destiny gained a lot of cod players who were disappointed by AW. Bungie should time a nice fat content drop for around mid-january to get people back on the train along with a Christmas event.

Fallout 4 is massive game, but so was The Witcher. People beat it, put it down, and come back whenever there is significant new content in Destiny.

You can't really expect them to maintain player engagement when it's been months since a content release, but presumably we will at the very least have a Christmas event to draw interest.

That's not a fair comparison because 1, fairly different games. 2, Witcher 3 released the same day as House of Wolves. I'm not saying it'll be dead here but considering current state / content, it'll have a pretty big impact. At least I think it will.

(and I'm not talking about long run, just for the coming month or 2 until the next big event/DLC hits. Although part of what's been happening recently might be longer for some).

But yea I'm sure we won't get anything "big" until next month. Here's hoping it'll come sooner.

PuMa

No worries! I know you're a busy guy in our community :)

I just want to get a win with you. You took that loss Sat morning worse than Royal and I. Right after you dropped for your first big post on the latency issues we had. I want to win for Drizz!

And for Puma!

GametimeUK

I miss playing Destiny for like a week and now all my friends are 310+ and I'm struggling at 307 lol. Impossible for me to find groups now on Destiny LFG :(. What level do you guys recommend for Hardmode?

Bungie needs some crazy new things coming around February, because SF5 will be eating up A LOT of my play time...
Until then I only see myself playing a bit of Tomb Raider and that BB dlc.
Never could get into Fallout or Bethesda games, they are way too buggy for my tastes. ^^

yup SFV will be taking most of my gaming time and Star Wars Battlefront will take over my PvP Christmas filler

instead of begging for teams in ToO like online dating, I will just pop into Battlefront.

ich00

I haven't done HM raid yet, but am at the point where I should be able to, at least up to oryx depending on drops. 308 Titan. PSN is shiv2099.

No problem, stress free fun run! My warlock is 310, only when I put on a sniper I haven't infused yet so no worries!

I'm down, but I can only play until 1AM EST. Is that okay?

psn: kreepmode

I think I'm already on your friend's list.

Yea that's fine, 1 is probably my tipping point as well. Yea I think we are.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
As for FF14's heavensward: I'm interested in it, but I'm not done with the vanilla questline yet.

As much as I enjoy FF14's story - and it's quite enjoyable - some of the quests are even grindy to me as someone who enjoys Destiny.
It takes forever to complete the vanilla questline but keep going. Heavensward is way better. There are so many epic moments in the expansion's story that makes the vanilla grind worth it. The requirement is still absurd though.

November is all about Fallout 4 for me. That's around 50-100 hours of quality content. I want to get Star Wars too but that depends on whether my friends are getting it or not.

border

I have a Totem checkpoint on KF HM for like 10 minutes if anybody wants it ?

Mr-Stephen on psn

I will send you a friend request from border199x. I'd like to get it on all my characters if you have time.....if not then no worries I'll find some other way to propagate it.

XenoRaven

It seems like YoshiP and his team are dealing with a pretty tight budget and are pretty overworked, so we may not see the same amount of content with every patch like we did from 2.0-2.5. I'm OK with playing the game for a month or two then taking a break once a patch gives the game a shot in the arm again. I'm not sure how good this is for the game's long term health though.

The grind from 50-60 is pretty rough, and the sidequests are kind of a drag. Worth it though, IMO. I think it holds up decently even as a regular FF game.

MrS

Banned
I will send you a friend request from border199x. I'd like to get it on all my characters if you have time.....if not then no worries I'll find some other way to propagate it.
Sent you a party invite. Join session when you're ready

Top Bottom