• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

I miss playing Destiny for like a week and now all my friends are 310+ and I'm struggling at 307 lol. Impossible for me to find groups now on Destiny LFG :(. What level do you guys recommend for Hardmode?
Perfectly fine for HM even for oryx depending on the team and player of course. Careful tho with LFG since some of the requirements are..,absurd...

Ken

The grind from 50-60 is pretty rough.

It's not bad the first time through because of MSQ experience points.

Here I am finally thinking about buying TTK while everyone is ready to leave for other games. Maybe I'll just wait for next expansion.

Afrocious

It seems like YoshiP and his team are dealing with a pretty tight budget and are pretty overworked, so we may not see the same amount of content with every patch like we did from 2.0-2.5. I'm OK with playing the game for a month or two then taking a break once a patch gives the game a shot in the arm again. I'm not sure how good this is for the game's long term health though.

The grind from 50-60 is pretty rough, and the sidequests are kind of a drag. Worth it though, IMO. I think it holds up decently even as a regular FF game.

Oh yeah, the story holds up quite well. Knocks FF13 out the park, though that's not difficult at all.

GhaleonEB

No one at Bungie/Activision bothered to correct that article when it was released though. It sure was in their best interest to wait until now to clear the air.
They're not under any obligation to comment on rumors, but they did put out the announcement within hours of the article going live. Which said the following:

Our plan is to use these new items to bolster the service provided by our live team for another full year, as they grow and create more robust and engaging events that we’ll announce later this year. It has been, and continues to be, our goal to deliver updates to the game. Going forward, our live team is also looking to grow beyond vital updates and improvements to focus on world events, experiences, and feature requests.
Obviously they are not going to announce next September's expansion now, but the implication there is, I think, pretty clear: The live team will be supporting the game in a more robust way for the next year. When that year is up, it's reasonable to expect another expansion (though again, they're not going to announce that).

The only real question at this point is what the scope of the Live team is chartered with. Events and feature requests are reasonably well defined, but "experiences" is a catch all that does not set expectations. Perhaps because Bungie themselves don't have a pipeline defined for all 12 months and don't want to box themselves in. As we've seen, plans with Destiny are pretty fluid.

XenoRaven

Fucking finaallllyyyyy... after about 60 + masks i got oryx...
-___-
no mo candy for me
How much longer is the event going? I pretty much started two days ago and I have Eris, Atheon, Legendary Engram, and Rare Engram.

I wish I would have logged on to do this from the start. I love little events like this. I hope they do one for Christmas.

Mupod

Safe strat still best for hm Oryx? Does being 315+ make a noticeable difference in the oryx fight as compared to being 311?

Could not finish my raids last week, and I don't even feel bummed out by that. I should have a wired connection in 2-3 days so will try to get 3x raids done this week, but don't have any expectations for loot drops. All 3 toons are 312+ so I'm okay with that.

It's sad to see so many regular players say they will be taking a long break from TTK, not because they have exhausted the endgame but because the endgame is in such a poor state right now - being rewarded with absolutely nothing for the efforts is infuriating.

A loot game that doesn't give loot - the irony writes itself. Have not seen Luke post in a while so I'm hoping they will announce changes/fixes soon. The Halloween stuff was nice but again, to do all those quests and get rewarded with nothing at the end just makes people wonder wtf are they doing.

I mean, this isn't a sub mmo. Doesn't seem strange at all to me to take long breaks from the game when something else comes out. I'm taking a break for bloodborne and xenoblade...probably.

I guess I'm disappointed when I get nothing from HM, especially after hours of wiping to Oryx. But overall my loot drops have been decent. Certainly far better than what I got from normal aka basically nothing. For example I got no ghosts and no heavy weapons in 13 clears of normal but on HM I have gotten 4-5 of both in 6. Progress is slow and steady but I do agree that it needs to be more 'guaranteed', do like every other reasonable game and give us gradual progress towards something even if we get no drops.

But yeah, cosmetic events are NOT content that will compel me to keep playing. I have rarely given a shit about those things in MMOs. I'm not here to have fun I'm here to get bigger numbers. So I'm hoping they have more in the pipe than that kind of thing.

flkraven

They're not under any obligation to comment on rumors, but they did put out the announcement within hours of the article going live. Which said the following:

Obviously they are not going to announce next September's expansion now, but the implication there is, I think, pretty clear: The live team will be supporting the game in a more robust way for the next year. When that year is up, it's reasonable to expect another expansion (though again, they're not going to announce that).

The only real question at this point is what the scope of the Live team is chartered with. Events and feature requests are reasonably well defined, but "experiences" is a catch all that does not set expectations. Perhaps because Bungie themselves don't have a pipeline defined for all 12 months and don't want to box themselves in. As we've seen, plans with Destiny are pretty fluid.

I'm totally fine with a big expansion released next September as DLC. All along, I assumed that the big, TTK sized stuff would cost money. I assumed that these micro transactions would take care of the smaller, HoW-style expansions. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but this article says that I should expect a $20, small expansion in the next few months.

I like how Bungie teased a certain amount of Exotic armors in the Armory on the their site but noticably some of them are completely unavailable in TTK and don't match the Blueprint slots.

hmmmmm....

I think it's because "experiences" is vague and better than saying "holiday festivals that don't add any actual content."

Kyoufu

I like how Bungie teased a certain amount of Exotic armors in the Armory on the their site but noticably some of them are completely unavailable in TTK and don't match the Blueprint slots.

hmmmmm....

Looking forward to trying Twilight Garrison whenever they add it.

Sushi Nao

Hi DestinyGAF,

I've been playing Destiny on the PS4 since launch (not long after I got my GAF account). I haven't been active in the threads much at all, though. So, hello!

I have mixed feelings about Destiny, honestly. I have the three expansions, and while I took a little time off between TDB and HoW, it's been a pretty steady grind, but I always feel like I'm not getting as much out of it as I could be.

Part of my issue is that I just don't feel like I'm any good at it. I've made it up to 296 light just by sheer time spent, and while that makes most activities fairly easy, I still find myself dying constantly.

Probably my biggest issue is that I don't feel that there's ever enough cover in most arenas. I always end up flanked by aggressive enemies and dead in seconds. Strike bosses like the Bond Brothers and SABER 2 are the most egregious examples of this, where reinforcements just swarm and there's almost nowhere to hide and heal. This is even with my character specced for max armor and an artifact defense boost for my class.

I'm a pretty decent gamer in most games - beat Souls, Halos on Legendary, etc. - however, in Destiny I just kind of feel like I'm dead weight. I haven't done any of the raids and rarely attempt the Nightfall, mostly because I don't know a ton of people playing it, but also cause I feel like I'll just be a drag.

This sounds like a pity party lol, but I guess I'm just venting. I'd like to play with GAF sometime, to see if I can improve and hopefully get some new gear.

PSN is JohnnySomething

On the Sealing the Blade part of the exotic sword quest, can you kill the other knight that nobody needs first to get him out of the way?

For instance me and a buddy are going for the void sword and our other buddy is going for arc. Can we just kill the solar knight right away to get him out of the way and then focus on the other two knights we need to kill within 30 seconds of the boss?

Shito

On the Sealing the Blade part of the exotic sword quest, can you kill the other knight that nobody needs first to get him out of the way?

For instance me and a buddy are going for the void sword and our other buddy is going for arc. Can we just kill the solar knight right away to get him out of the way and then focus on the other two knights we need to kill within 30 seconds of the boss?
Yes, you can, and you should. :)

Lothars

Yes, It's the best way to do it. It's hard with an extra knight but still achieveable.

border

I honestly think you would have a less frustrating time if you just ran it twice - once for void, once for arc. Having to do that boss with two knights up is hot garbage.

neoism

How much longer is the event going? I pretty much started two days ago and I have Eris, Atheon, Legendary Engram, and Rare Engram.

I wish I would have logged on to do this from the start. I love little events like this. I hope they do one for Christmas.

9th i think

I honestly think you would have a less frustrating time if you just ran it twice - once for void, once for arc. Having to do that boss with two knights up is hot garbage.

Fair enough. We rage quit last night just trying for Black Spindle a few times without swords and decided we need them if we're ever going to get Spindle.

Is this strike as rage inducing? Because if so maybe we won't bother with this either and our problem is solved. No weapons but no rage either.

ich00

Repost for some top of the page views.

What: HM king's fall! (PS4)
When: tonight 10pm est (earlier if the family is asleep earlier)
Where: dreadnaught
Who: anyone! (I'm not worried too much about light level, 300 would be nice)
1. Ichabod00
2. Austinjohnson34
3. Manthatyoufear
4. Futbol_dude77
5. Shiv2099
6. Kreepmode

Looking to maybe complete my first king's fall raid, got to the daughters last week and couldn't get a group to finish it. Maybe this could become a weekly thing if we want.

Who's with me!?!

Group looks full! I'll send out friend requests in a few and start a party chat when it gets close to time. I'm going to try and find a totems cp too if that's cool with everyone

Here's that D2 CoMmNity
Shitpost
|OhhhhhhhhhT| Baby

┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻| _
┻┳| •.•) Destiny 2 gonna be great
┳┻|⊂ノ
┻┳|

Remember that Destiny 1?
giphy.gif

LdR7k1R.jpg

All about that Destiny 2 now!

Think you won't be back? Nuh-uh.
giphy.gif

Think you'll be ever be done? Nuh-uh.
giphy.gif

All those people waiting til late Octover to play on there PErsonal ComputerS?
o7 salute!

Me right now:
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ D2

Me tuesday at 11pm launch:
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Yay got D2

giphy.gif

Seriously, WHAT ARE YOU STILL DOIGN IN THIS THREAD?!"""

GET TO THE REAL D2 OT AND START POSTING!

giphy.gif

Afrocious

Hi DestinyGAF,

I've been playing Destiny on the PS4 since launch (not long after I got my GAF account). I haven't been active in the threads much at all, though. So, hello!

I have mixed feelings about Destiny, honestly. I have the three expansions, and while I took a little time off between TDB and HoW, it's been a pretty steady grind, but I always feel like I'm not getting as much out of it as I could be.

Part of my issue is that I just don't feel like I'm any good at it. I've made it up to 296 light just by sheer time spent, and while that makes most activities fairly easy, I still find myself dying constantly.

Probably my biggest issue is that I don't feel that there's ever enough cover in most arenas. I always end up flanked by aggressive enemies and dead in seconds. Strike bosses like the Bond Brothers and SABER 2 are the most egregious examples of this, where reinforcements just swarm and there's almost nowhere to hide and heal. This is even with my character specced for max armor and an artifact defense boost for my class.

I'm a pretty decent gamer in most games - beat Souls, Halos on Legendary, etc. - however, in Destiny I just kind of feel like I'm dead weight. I haven't done any of the raids and rarely attempt the Nightfall, mostly because I don't know a ton of people playing it, but also cause I feel like I'll just be a drag.

This sounds like a pity party lol, but I guess I'm just venting. I'd like to play with GAF sometime, to see if I can improve and hopefully get some new gear.

PSN is JohnnySomething

Add Afrodeeziyak to your Friend List. I'm at work, but I'd be down to help out with raiding and nightfalls. You're definitely at the point where you need to be doing them to progress.

Owensboro

Some arena's are just designed poorly (hello opening Warstat on SABER 2!), but for those two fights you mention sometimes it's just better to ignore the boss, find a wall or object you can put between the boss and yourself, and kill adds (Note: "adds" means "Additional Enemies". I had someone yesterday who didn't know that). By "kill the adds" I mean focus on killing adds only, and getting pot shots at the boss when none are up. Most of the time randoms are going to focus only on the boss, so being the designated add cleaner is worth it. On SABER 2 in particular, focusing on only killing sniper shanks in that last part greatly helps a group since no one else ever seems to do it.

ich00

Fair enough. We rage quit last night just trying for Black Spindle a few times without swords and decided we need them if we're ever going to get Spindle.

Is this strike as rage inducing? Because if so maybe we won't bother with this either and our problem is solved. No weapons but no rage either.

I don't think it's that bad, first time I did it and we had to kill all three knights since my group all had different swords, second time we had to kill 2. Bring a titan bubble and a hunter as well if you can, titan bubble helps a lot tho.

Fucking hell. Destiny to continue having both paid microtransactions and expansions-
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/destiny-microtransactions-and-expansions-can-co-ex/1100-6431944/

According to the Acti conference meeting or whatever..

"We had a full year of expansions to the game that have been very well received and sold quite well. More recently, you've seen us introduce smaller, in-game purchases that allow people to customize their experience and express themselves; those have been very well received and have sold well also. I think we've already shown that DLC and microtransactions can co-exist and that our community is hungry for more great content."

JonCha

Just watched the 34-minute Raid video for the first time. What the hell.

What can't all the raids I do be that quick?

GhaleonEB

I think it's because "experiences" is vague and better than saying "holiday festivals that don't add any actual content."

That would be an event, which they listed separately. When describing Destiny, Bungie tends to choose words carefully. They described the Live team's expanded charter as:

Going forward, our live team is also looking to grow beyond vital updates and improvements to focus on world events, experiences, and feature requests.

Events (usually described in-game as a "limited time event") are things like Iron Banner, Queen's Wrath and Festival of the Lost. We've seen these before and have now seen the first of the new ones for year 2; Festival of the Lost is an event.

Feature updates are self-explanatory and what we are used to getting with updates, though they will presumably grow more robust over time. Hoping for things like in-game Grimorie (or whatever it's called).

Experiences are not well defined; are they activities (patrols, strikes), updates to them (Taken versions of year 1 strikes, new patrols), new modes for old content (Crota challenge modes)? We have no idea and I don't think we've seen what they mean by that term, as yet.

Owensboro

I don't suppose anyone is going on a Hard Mode raid and wants to take along a 305....do they? (You know you want to!) (I have no problem dropping out when my light is too low for a boss, I just need the gear to get higher light!)

D_psipher

Hi DestinyGAF,

PSN is JohnnySomething

It can seem crazy with all that is going on but add control is a big part of the encounters in the game. Are you playing with friends or randoms because communication is also a huge thing. Teams that communicate well provide the best Destiny experience possible. Also, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. It happens. Just keep going. DGAF is awesome and people are always willing to help. So if you need someone to play with add me PSN is d-psipher.

Shito

Nah, easier than the Black Spindle mission.
Take it slow during the strike, as a lot of the enemies will have a shield, then for the boss don't group up and revive yourselves as quickly as you can (a nightstalker with vanish in smoke can help a lot). If keeping two knights alive proves to be too much, don't hesitate to do it twice as was suggested.
It's a fun boss fight, this quest step is one of my favourite content in the game, up there with the black spindle mission. :)

Some arena's are just designed poorly (hello opening Warstat on SABER 2!), but for those two fights you mention sometimes it's just better to ignore the boss, find a wall or object you can put between the boss and yourself, and kill adds (Note: "adds" means "Additional Enemies". I had someone yesterday who didn't know that). By "kill the adds" I mean focus on killing adds only, and getting pot shots at the boss when none are up. Most of the time randoms are going to focus only on the boss, so being the designated add cleaner is worth it. On SABER 2 in particular, focusing on only killing sniper shanks in that last part greatly helps a group since no one else ever seems to do it.

Bingo. This is absolutely true in Matchmaking Strikes. Years of singleplayer games have made players feel like in any boss fight, they have to focus most of their attention on the boss. However in MMO's and MMO-Lite games like Destiny, players are better suited playing different roles at times. One of those roles is support and support can sometimes mean doing little or no damage. Or in Destiny's case, it's often killing off the smaller enemies that get added in boss fights. It absolutely makes a difference.

phen0m24

Hi DestinyGAF,

PSN is JohnnySomething

You don't need to feel like dead weight. But I can totally sympathize. I feel like dead weight nearly every time I play. Especially when I play with Dr. Drizzay or Unstable or Twilight or Fig or Hawkian or Wallach or Rawr or Dhruv and nearly every other frequent occupier of this thread. And I have 1000+ hours in the game.

A) you get better all the time. Listen and learn.
B) you just happened to fall face first into the most patient nexus of hardcore Destiny 1%ers in the internet. I could speak for extended periods about the awesomeness of the people here. I may have already.

Just jump in games, be willing, don't get rattled, do your best, and if you're bad,
try to make people laugh. It's why they keep me around. :p

That would be an event, which they listed separately. When describing Destiny, Bungie tends to choose words carefully. They described the Live team's expanded charter as:

Events (usually described in-game as a "limited time event") are things like Iron Banner, Queen's Wrath and Festival of the Lost. We've seen these before and have now seen the first of the new ones for year 2; Festival of the Lost is an event.

Feature updates are self-explanatory and what we are used to getting with updates, though they will presumably grow more robust over time. Hoping for things like in-game Grimorie (or whatever it's called).

Experiences are not well defined; are they activities (patrols, strikes), updates to them (Taken versions of year 1 strikes, new patrols), new modes for old content (Crota challenge modes)? We have no idea and I don't think we've seen what they mean by that term, as yet.

Ah.. but see Queens Wrath (Missions and Items with stats) and Iron Banner (Unique Bounties and Items with Stats) are Events that add playable content while Festival of the Lost only adds superficial content (Quests with no meaningful reward and cosmetic items).

So when they say Events.. I think Queens Wrath, Iron Banner, and ToO. When they say "experiences" it sounds less substantial. Things to do that are fun but ultimately don't progress your character either vertically or horizontally.

D_psipher

This is the gospel. I jumped in to help a couple of friends get their spindles last night and we cleaned house up til the boss room. I noticed that we all thought someone else was clearing adds and things got crazy. So I designated one guy for add clearing and one for boss DPS while I helped with both, switching as needed. We got the boss down with 40 secs left on the clock. I was saving that Transcendence Storm Call for just the right time and we cleared the adds. 15 secs left.

Arrrammis

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnd another Destiny thread in gaming side, this time focusing on how Destiny is now having microtransactions AND paid DLC's ("Oh my! The scoundrels!"). Don't go over there, it's just fools grabbing any opportunity to be pissed at Bungie. I tried bringing logic- I forgot that this is the internet.

Time gating and that kind of thing is still a problem, but I like to think that it's not so much time gated (besides the daily stuff) as Bungie hasn't finished it yet, and seeing how players act is pretty much impossible to estimate. If I saw players 2-man what is supposed to be the hardest boss in the game just 2 weeks after it launched, I would definitely want to go back and adjust some things in the next iteration of that boss.

I really think some people just need a few days break.

Afrocious

mfw we have a year of time gated stuff all related to king's fall and challenge mode stuff can only be done on certain days of the week

15EODyD.gif

Yeah. If they continue to charge for DLCs like TDB and HoW...ugh. Not looking forward to it.

I can't imagine them doing DLCs like TDB and HoW. Looking back we weren't very happy with them and neither were Bungie. It was waaaaay too much to ask of them. Crota's End was built in 9 weeks. Prison of Elders was near a complete letdown. Skolas shipped with Arc Burn, for goodness' sake.

That Kotaku story about Destiny's development sheds some light on this. Activision didn't come to Bungie and tell them to put Microtransactions in. Bungie went to Activision and said we can't do two more small-DLCs. Let us do Microtransactions and small events so we can really make Destiny 2 into something to be truly proud of.

PuMa

You don't need to feel like dead weight. But I can totally sympathize. I feel like dead weight nearly every time I play. Especially when I play with Dr. Drizzay or Unstable or Twilight or Fig or Hawkian or Wallach or Rawr or Dhruv and nearly every other frequent occupier of this thread. And I have 1000+ hours in the game.

A) you get better all the time. Listen and learn.
B) you just happened to fall face first into the most patient nexus of hardcore Destiny 1%ers in the internet. I could speak for extended periods about the awesomeness of the people here. I may have already.

Just jump in games, be willing, don't get rattled, do your best, and if you're bad,
try to make people laugh. It's why they keep me around. :p

Psshhht...dead weight, my ass.

I can't imagine them doing DLCs like TDB and HoW. Looking back we weren't very happy with them and neither were Bungie. It was waaaaay too much to ask of them. Crota's End was built in 9 weeks. Prison of Elders was near a complete letdown. Skolas shipped with Arc Burn, for goodness' sake.

That Kotaku story about Destiny's development sheds some light on this. Activision didn't come to Bungie and tell them to put Microtransactions in. Bungie went to Activision and said we can't do two more DLCs. Let us do Microtransactions and small events so we can really make Destiny 2 into something to be truly proud of.
They're doing both. DLC and small events.
I just don't like games that are priced fully with Microtransactions and payed dlc. Rubs me the wrong way.

No ones talking about who went to who...

Top Bottom