• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

The thing TTK did very right is that I had zero desire to touch my alts. I have all exotics and didn't need to rely on alts, a lot of them are quest bound and others eventually just came by 3oC usage. NF is shit anyway and only ran it 3 times. I never felt the urge to run KF 3 times in a week. I completed it perhaps 3 times over the last few months. Its okay, there is no need for me to rinse it.

Best thing I have done is kicking those alts down the gutter.

Well... I mean there are 3 class specific exotics ;) Personally the variety of playing as each class is critical to maintaining my interest. I feel like it gives a full picture of "what Destiny is" and it's definitely important for understanding PvP.

GutZ31

There are so many things raid weapons could have been, nay, should have been.

Shotgun that does an area of effect blast under the player at the same damage/impact of the gun on double kills.

Hand cannon that does a razers edge wave of damage equal to damage/impact of HC upon a headshot, body shot, headshot(or at achance if it procs too often).

Pulse rifles that can be shot like a scout rifle with all 3 rounds going out at the same time(slower fire rate if OP).

Scout rifle that shoots normally by pulling the trigger each time, but can be changed like a fusion rifle, and when fully charged, will fire 5 shots from the mag that spread similar to a low range shotgun.

Auto rifle that when swapped to, will act like it has infinite ammo(long cool down after first use).

SkylineRKR

Well... I mean there are 3 class specific exotics ;) Personally the variety of playing as each class is critical to maintaining my interest. I feel like it gives a full picture of "what Destiny is" and it's definitely important for understanding PvP.

I don't have Raze Lighter and Dark Drinker, true. But thats mainly because the quest is so shit. Otherwise I might've considered. If I could just grab the 2 other swords, infuse them and do Darkblade again it'll be cool.

As for classes, I had a 34 Warlock as well and played a good 100 hours with it but I could never really get to terms with it, In terms of movement and pure gunplay Hunter is my class.

ocean

Banned
I understand. My point is there's no such thing as "in principle," there's only reality. It doesn't help the conversation to say "if this fatal and unavoidable flaw didn't exist..."
I would disagree - the conversation can always use nuance.

I mean there are plenty of people who dislike the new matchmaking on the grounds that it makes Lighthouse harder and that if anything changes should be made to make it accessible to all.

I think it's worth mentioning that I hope they go back to the old system while explaining the rationale for it: connection quality is king. Whether it makes the mode harder or easier is irrelevant, it's all about the connection because it impacts the fun and experience directly.

Kyne

People in this thread getting bored.

I suppose I picked the wrong time to jump back into Destiny. D:

see, this is the kind of stuff I wanted to avoid.

Xeno, the game isn't dead. The people who are bored (see part of the previous discussion) make up about 1% of all Destiny players.

If anything you just picked the wrong time to jump into the Destiny GAF thread.

The reason people here are getting 'bored' is because they've already poured hundreds, if not thousands of hours into the game.

Frenden

Banned
I played all three pretty equally before TTK, but I tend to play Hunter more than the other two now. Though they still get some time.

I don't have Raze Lighter and Dark Drinker, true. But thats mainly because the quest is so shit. Otherwise I might've considered. If I could just grab the 2 other swords, infuse them and do Darkblade again it'll be cool.

As for classes, I had a 34 Warlock as well and played a good 100 hours with it but I could never really get to terms with it, In terms of movement and pure gunplay Hunter is my class.

I was actually talking about Tllaloc (Warlock), Ace of Spades (Hunter), and Fabian's Strategy (Titan) from hitting Gunsmith rank 3. You could get all 3 swords on one character if you played the alts just enough to get the legendary swords.

I wonder if they plan to do small things like Y2 versions of the rest of the Y1 strikes, Y2 Prison of Elders, etc. I think there's a lot of small things they could do-- whether alone or in total that would be enough to keep the player base attached, I have no idea. I can imagine them hoping to make it through the holidays without any announcements, see how many units they move via Xmas sales, markdowns,, etc., and then see where they stand in January and evaluate. I have no real idea though, just thinking out loud.

Luke mentioned in the Planet Destiny podcast that they were more focused on making new content than further revising Y1 strikes (he was asked about more Taken versions). Maybe the transition to MTs with a beefed up Live team will change that but it's all speculation now.

Deku Tree

First week of HM my Titan got a 314 chest piece and I was very happy.
Second week got a 313 chest.
Third week a 312 chest.

S M A R T L O O T

ocean

Banned
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/destiny-microtransactions-and-expansions-can-co-ex/1100-6431944/
Activision dude:

Expansions and micro transactions can coexist
They're aware we'll eat that stuff up because we the most engaged kids in town
No announcement on future content, but they've got plenty of options

I read this as him answering everything with a grin made out of money. which btw I don't think is a bad thing at all. A game that makes money is a game that satisfies consumers, necessarily.

noomi

Guys guys guys, tonight is the night. I'm getting lucky.

That scout rifle is going to drop, and a hard mode helmet too.

ITS GOING TO HAPPEN

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Such bullshit on these drops for me today.

Truelize ran his sons Titan and got like everything lol.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

Don't worry about it.

He called that shit a long time ago. I was really hoping with the frequent patches Bungie would have addressed it by now, but I guess it's not happening.
Frequent patches have never happened in Destiny's history. Get ready to wait for months.

phen0m24

What are we supposed to do during the wait for Destiny 2?

TTK for the remainder of the year sounds... not good.

Festival of the Found which will feature the Macarena and Gang Nam Style dances

I'm worried about The Division's community.
Those darkness zones with PVP or whatever the name was, and the fact that you can betray your teammates, well... I don't see this fostering a nice community like Destiny has... :/

Almost require a good/bad dichotomy betrayer/not betrayer forums

lately reading the Destiny OT has gotten me a little down.. and it's hard to blame people.

anyways, I know reddit is mostly positive about Destiny so I figured I'd go hang out over there for the afternoon.

Let's see what the top post of this active positive community is.

sigh.

I think I might just stay off Destiny internet for a while. All of my real life friends don't even worry about this stuff and they are having a blast with the game.

I tend to be realistic/slightly pessimistic and don't mean to. I still like the game (!!!) it is just bringing on feelings of fatigue now.

I expect the Division to disappoint in a big way.

It looks like it could be incredible and hopefully it turns out that way but I'm skeptical. Very skeptical.

Ubisoft. Watch Dogs. Downgrade imminent.

Yeah this is the biggest issue right now. I don't mind having mostly exhausted TTK. It's been fun and I'll still enjoy reset raiding plus a little bit of Trials each week. Ignoring all the boring stuff like Dailies, bounties, Gunsmith tests etc. is fine by me.

But the fact they've been silent about a meaningful content release concerns me. Are they really focusing just on Destiny 2 now? With only the MT-funded Live team adding Festival of Lost style bits and pieces over the next 10 months? Maybe they're okay with letting the game die in order to make D2 as big as possible... but the game will be ice-cold by then.

They just broke records with TTK and I'm sure the silver sales would cause us all to blush. They're probably in some huge room (counting money jk) trying to figure out how they could push out meaningful content in any sort of realistic (read:soonish) timetable. Unlikely. Just some eventual big writeup in an update or a new carefully edited (read: Zoba-proof) vidoc. "Can't wait to show your what we have planned for Destiny 2. It's gonna blow your mind$!"

Tl;dr flush with cash and can't put it to work immediately, they make grand promises for the future... eventually

XenoRaven

see, this is the kind of stuff I wanted to avoid.

Xeno, the game isn't dead. The people who are bored (see part of the previous discussion) make up about 1% of all Destiny players.

If anything you just picked the wrong time to jump into the Destiny GAF thread.

The reason people here are getting 'bored' is because they've already poured hundreds, if not thousands of hours into the game.
Yeah I'm not too worried about it. This is my shooter game for the foreseeable future regardless of what other people are doing. I just can't get into Halo 5 unfortunately.

Nah, it's always a good time. That just means there's plenty of stuff for you to do. Lord knows I'll always be here if you need help.

Said it many times but bears repeating: TTK is great. I like it a lot. Tons of fun stuff, tons of improvements. But the endgame is bad and most everyone here is firmly entrenched in the end game. We have a skewed view but it's still important for the larger player base. We're the canary in the coal mine that warns of trouble ahead for casual players. We're just the first people to recognize where the systems break down.

This is what I've really been wondering. In a weird way, knowing there was new content on the horizon has been a spur for me to keep going...to make sure I'm at a good level going into it, and that I'll have a decent stock to give me a boost at the start.

I weirdly enjoyed completing bounties just before TTK, to give me a boost at launch.

(This is the inverse of "why bother levelling up - you'll just need to do it again anyway).

With just a vacumn on the horizon I don't feel any incentive to make sure I'm close to 320...

Yeah you make a really good point about how future content motivates the current activity. I was happy to grind out 310 exotics to infuse up for HM KF but there's nothing to grind now. Trials only has a chance for 310+ exotics and then 310+ primaries at Mercury.

Guys guys guys, tonight is the night. I'm getting lucky.

That scout rifle is going to drop, and a hard mode helmet too.

ITS GOING TO HAPPEN

I got my very first Scout today!
305 normal scout w life support :-/
. I also finally got my first Warlock and Hunter helms, both hard mode too. I believe in your luck Noomi!

flkraven

So they say that microtransactions will basically fund dlc for the year so we don't get pissed off when it's implemented, then 2 weeks later straight up say 'had our fingers crossed' and say they are still doing paid dlc?

Deku Tree

So they say that microtransactions will basically fund dlc for the year so we don't get pissed off when it's implemented, then 2 weeks later straight up say 'had our fingers crossed' and say they are still doing paid dlc?

They never said MTs would fund the DLC. They said MTs would fund the "live team".

A kotaku article with un-named sources said that MTs would fund the DLC and that it would all be free. Bungie nor Acti never commented on the article.

noomi

. I also finally got my first Warlock and Hunter helms, both hard mode too. I believe in your luck Noomi!

If Drizz says it, then it must be true! Thanks bruh! :D

Congrats on your lewts as well!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Other than that past couple weeks, there was a patch or hotfix every week since Taken King launched.
They only do that when there's an exploit or something they need to fix like the recent Nightstalker super glitch. Quiver is still broken which is kinda shocking. I really wish they would release balancing patches frequently.

Hey Drizz! Did the reset scrub team finish 3x raids today? How was the loot? Are the ZW bros 319 yet? Why is ji66a not playing halo5? :p

XenoRaven

Nah, it's always a good time. That just means there's plenty of stuff for you to do. Lord knows I'll always be here if you need help.

Said it many times but bears repeating: TTK is great. I like it a lot. Tons of fun stuff, tons of improvements. But the endgame is bad and most everyone here is firmly entrenched in the end game. We have a skewed view but it's still important for the larger player base. We're the canary in the coal mine that warns of trouble ahead for casual players. We're just the first people to recognize where the systems break down.
Thanks man. I'm a crazy person who is going to attempt to manage two different characters on two different platforms, but I'll hit you up if I need help on PSN.

I hear you on the endgame. FFXIV's endgame is ass right now, which is part of the reason I'm playing a bunch of different games now. I would still recommend the game to anyone, but the endgame sucks and there's really not a lot on the horizon to look forward to.

Trakan

They only do that when there's an exploit or something they need to fix like the recent Nightstalker super glitch. Quiver is still broken which is kinda shocking. I really wish they would release balancing patches frequently.

That's fine. It showed they were staying on top of things and setting the standard for Y2. It's a shame it fell apart so quickly.

flkraven

They never said MTs would fund the DLC. They said MTs would fund the "live team".

A kotaku article with un-named sources said that MTs would fund the DLC and that it would all be free. Bungie nor Acti never commented on the article.

No one at Bungie/Activision bothered to correct that article when it was released though. It sure was in their best interest to wait until now to clear the air.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
FFXIV's endgame is ass right now, which is part of the reason I'm playing a bunch of different games now.
That's exactly the reason I unsubbed from FFXIV a few months ago. Doing Fractal and Neverreap for Esoterics every week is just not something I want to do. Alex savage is pretty nasty too and I hate the token system. It's just not fun for me. Destiny doesn't have a monthly sub so the endgame is kinda tolerable.

ocean

Banned
No one at Bungie/Activision bothered to correct that article when it was released though. It sure was in their best interest to wait until now to clear the air.
What difference does it make? If you like a dance you buy it. If you don't think it's worth it you don't.

How does DLC in the future have anything to do with that? Unless you're suggesting some people bought a dance thinking that made them an angel investor putting money into unannounced content leaked by a journalist but never confirmed or even acknowledged by the publisher or developer.

Top Bottom