• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Afrocious

I'm seriously late to the party, but I'm now finding it hilarious that HoW shipped with Skolas having Arc Burn.

Oh man I'm glad I missed out on that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

(CLICK HERE)
PS4 - Thursday, November 5th, 2015 - Crota's End Newbie Raid
  • 9:00PM ET - 8:00 PM CT - 6:00PM PT - 2:00 AM Friday BST
  • Minimum Level is 26 for Vault of Glass and 29 for Crota's End, Light Level 285 for King's Fall
  • These are specifically geared for first-timers, and all encounters are fully explained for all roles, along with overall raid tips (and maybe even a tiny bit of lore). However, those who have run the raid before and even veterans are welcome if you feel like joining and can be patient with the truebies.
  • First come first serve. If you filled out the form completely and submitted it, your spot is reserved. The form shuts down automatically when the group is full.
  • If you wish to be an alternate, want to help but don't want to take a spot right away, or otherwise want to be kept in mind for the group just send me a PM on GAF or a PSN message.
  • 5 spots remaining.

you guys are ridiculous btw. I've been one of the GLs of the GAF GW2 guild for 2 years.

Frenden

Banned
Decided to try the First Curse quest. Four games of Clash to get the seven precision kills. What a turd the Imprecation is.

I feel like Bungie needs to clarify terminology. When they say "DLC" do they mean TDB and HoW amounts of content? When they say "expansion" do they mean TTK amounts or a full discs worth?

Calling TDB and HoW "expansions" early on and then changing their content delivery strategy is what's leading to this confusion.

I'd expect the cosmetic cash shop to be able to fund TDB/HoW levels of stuff while having to pay for larger Disc-sized content at $40-ish or so. Preferably getting TDB/HoW-ish stuff every 4 months or so and Disc-sized content every year and a half.

Namikaze1

I'm seriously late to the party, but I'm now finding it hilarious that HoW shipped with Skolas having Arc Burn.

Nah, first week was Solar Burn. Gjallarhorn made that fight piss easy.

But then again we spent more time waiting on cooldowns than actually attempting the fight.

Taken King is DLC. That's my reading of what we should expect. It'll be big yearly release.
"Destiny's microtransactions and paid expansions are both selling well, Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg said on an earnings call today, November 3. As such, Destiny players can expect to see more of both in the future. Not one or the other, but both--and at the same time, Hirshberg explained.
"I think they're already co-existing," Hirshberg said in response to an analyst's question. "We had a full year of expansions to the game that have been very well received and sold quite well. More recently, you've seen us introduce smaller, in-game purchases that allow people to customize their experience and express themselves; those have been very well received and have sold well also. I think we've already shown that DLC and microtransactions can co-exist and that our community is hungry for more great content."
Not really seeing where they're just doing one large dlc per year.

To be honest Crota and PoE weren't that small. But if that's what we can expect. For the "small" events. I can deal somewhat.
It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place. I love Destiny, but I hate to support such a business model.

loki 16

Hi DestinyGAF,

I've been playing Destiny on the PS4 since launch (not long after I got my GAF account). I haven't been active in the threads much at all, though. So, hello!

I have mixed feelings about Destiny, honestly. I have the three expansions, and while I took a little time off between TDB and HoW, it's been a pretty steady grind, but I always feel like I'm not getting as much out of it as I could be.

Part of my issue is that I just don't feel like I'm any good at it. I've made it up to 296 light just by sheer time spent, and while that makes most activities fairly easy, I still find myself dying constantly.

Probably my biggest issue is that I don't feel that there's ever enough cover in most arenas. I always end up flanked by aggressive enemies and dead in seconds. Strike bosses like the Bond Brothers and SABER 2 are the most egregious examples of this, where reinforcements just swarm and there's almost nowhere to hide and heal. This is even with my character specced for max armor and an artifact defense boost for my class.

I'm a pretty decent gamer in most games - beat Souls, Halos on Legendary, etc. - however, in Destiny I just kind of feel like I'm dead weight. I haven't done any of the raids and rarely attempt the Nightfall, mostly because I don't know a ton of people playing it, but also cause I feel like I'll just be a drag.

This sounds like a pity party lol, but I guess I'm just venting. I'd like to play with GAF sometime, to see if I can improve and hopefully get some new gear.

PSN is JohnnySomething
I can help you with raids, strikes and night fall. Which you need to do to get better gear. Add futbol_dude77 on PSN

Arrrammis

Ha, it was way worse other weeks. It has a rotating elemental burn, so once solar burn hit, Skolas was dead in 30 seconds every time. Everyone just grabbed their Gjallarhorn and Black Hammer, then wrecked him before he hit his second phase. It was absolutely ridiculous.

Ah, it was a simpler time.

R0ckman

They're doing both. DLC and small events.
I just don't like games that are priced fully with Microtransactions and payed dlc. Rubs me the wrong way.

No ones talking about who went to who...

After the mess that I heard that was Hard Mode and the fact that all it was was getting higher light level items, I figured I'd wait until new content not locked to grinding the raid. What have been recently revealed news on the future of Destiny? How was Trials?

To be honest Crota and PoE weren't that small. But if that's what we can expect. For the "small" events. I can deal somewhat.
Activision likely won't comment but that's what Jason from Kotaku is saying.

I am not sure why you're accusing Kotaku of "spreading confusion" when that's exactly what we reported. There will be a paid expansion next fall. They refer to it as "Destiny 2" but it may be called something else to avoid confusion. The big difference is that this year there won't be smaller packs like Dark Below and House of Wolves. If you want to understand why that's the case, please read this story.

Namikaze1

They still haven't reactivated the Sleeper Simulant quest again for folks who missed it the first time around haven't they? They have done the No Time To Explain quest twice so far but haven't seen any mention of SS being activated again here or reddit.

Yup. It was the second week where me and many others said 'fuck that shit'.
I was one of those many others. :p

I feel like Bungie needs to clarify terminology. When they say "DLC" do they mean TDB and HoW amounts of content? When they say "expansion" do they mean TTK amounts or a full discs worth?

Calling TDB and HoW "expansions" early on and then changing their content delivery strategy is what's leading to this confusion.

I'd expect the cosmetic cash shop to be able to fund TDB/HoW levels of stuff while having to pay for larger Disc-sized content at $40-ish or so. Preferably getting TDB/HoW-ish stuff every 4 months or so and Disc-sized content every year and a half.

TDB and HoW are straight up DLC/Expansions. Per Bungies/Activisions terminology, I'm sure.

E92 M3

I wouldn't mind paying $5 a month for a Bungie pro subscription that can include stuff like quadruple the vault space and maybe free emotes. No issues paying for a game I love and play mostly everyday.

I know many here wouldn't, though.

TDB and HoW are straight up DLC/Expansions. Per Bungies/Activisions terminology, I'm sure.

But then what do we call TTK and whatever is coming next Fall?

Edit: For clarification.. I'm aware that TDB and HoW were called Expansions.. but with the change in content delivery and monetization, I'm not sure that still applies. Which is what I think would help if Bungie clarified.

Jason posted on that thread that the confusion is on gamespot's part and that DLC/Expansion as mentioned by Activision means Destiny 2/whatever.

I am not sure why you're accusing Kotaku of "spreading confusion" when that's exactly what we reported. There will be a paid expansion next fall. They refer to it as "Destiny 2" but it may be called something else to avoid confusion. The big difference is that this year there won't be smaller packs like Dark Below and House of Wolves. If you want to understand why that's the case, please read this story.

If anything, this thread (and that GameSpot article) are spreading even more confusion because Hirshberg's comments are super unclear.

Edit: beaten

Afrocious

I always figured we'd get free stuff supported by microtransactions before Destiny 2 is released.

I'm hoping one of those free things is a new raid or two.

But then what do we call TTK and whatever is coming next Fall?

TTK is an expansion.

Destiny 2 is going to be a new game.

Edit. Beaten by Schreier.

I'm cool with microtransactions supporting Festival of the Lost type events and paying $40 every year for Taken King.

I always figured we'd get free stuff supported by microtransactions before Destiny 2 is released.

I'm hoping one of those free things is a new raid or two.

T-two raids?

shaq.gif

I HIGHLY doubt we'll get one.

Although we did get the hot scoops from the Gaming side thread-

Bungie (and High Moon) have been working on a new Mars area called "Pyramidion" that has a raid. Unless something changes, I believe we'll see it in the next big expansion, which will be out next fall. Feel free to bookmark this post etc.

So I've gotten a ton of rare masks from filling the candy sack over and over again, but I don't have any paper glue and the masks always dismantle into paper scraps. Is it possible to get paper glue from dismantling rare masks or do I have to buy the mystery bags from Tess?

Cause fuck people who have to work.

I realized this was why we had zero patience for the Spindle mission. It's hard enough trying to get guys together on the weekend, and on the rare occasion we can get a fireteam on a weeknight it's usually late. Everyone is already tired and had a long day at work and the last thing we need is a timed mission getting swarmed by adds with that dipshit boss whipping those blinding things at you. Quit after the second try.

ocean

Banned
Help me understand the problem with cosmetic micro transactions in a full priced game or why I should care if they're added.

Take any full priced game with zero DLC. A finished product, if you will. It's a game you love. Or hate. A game you play daily. Or which you finished and happily out away satisfied. Or one you rage quit out of early cause you didn't like it. Doesn't matter.

Developer decides to sell a costume or skin or hat or whatever. I can totally see you, as a consumer, airing an opinion about the value offered. You might not like it in particular, or not care about cosmetics in general. Or maybe you like it but think it's overpriced so you pass on it. Or maybe you happen to like it and agree with the asking price so you buy it.

So far, this is absolutely standard supply and demand. Like literally any product or service ever, consumers' averaged aggregate utility curves and the supplier's set price will meet somewhere. The success of the product/service will depend on the supplier's ability to gauge these consumer utility curves - basically, finding a profit-maximizing price. Perhaps at US$10 they'll sell 1,000 units whereas they'd have sold a million units at US$1. Consumers are ultimately kings here, as businesses aren't price-setting in an open market with access to information.

So, no snark or sarcasm, tell me where the issue comes up here because I genuinely don't see it.

Deku Tree

Thought I would cross post this from the gaming side thread:

So are you saying as of when you got your information that the only planned raid between now and "Destiny 2" is kings fall? And all Destiny stuff or "events" between now and Destiny 2 will be like Queens Wrath or festival of the lost or Trials or Iron Banner?

I don't know what free stuff they've got planned, but I think there'll be some quests, too -- stuff that's more substantial than Festival of the Lost, but not quite as meaty as House of Wolves. I don't know any of that for sure, though, and I don't know if they're going to add a raid. (It'd sure be nice if they clarified!)

What I do know is that--unless something has changed in the past month, which, sure, anything's possible!--there will be no paid expansions until fall 2016.

Top Bottom