• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
After all of the cry babies this week, they will probably make it as hard as possible lol.

Sigh, its probably going to happen also. I finally decided to run hm after boycotting it because if how crappy the rewards system is.

Bungie needs to stop listening to datto and pay attention to the other 19,999,999 people that bought their game.

Dattos challenge videos are fun to watch but his ideas, elitism, and anger are bad for the game and community in general.

lt519

I imagine Oryx will be a random runner, not different runners, like the Sisters. The mechanic is there and it would make the encounter so much more difficult. Everyone would need to learn the relic as opposed to 4 designated people.

I don't want the challenge mode to be harder. Just more substantially different.

Exactly.

The "challenge" of the warpriest is something my friends and I did by default anyway, so some of us feel a bit miffed by it.

If the other challenge modes continue to be something that players were doing already anyway, then where exactly is the challenge?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
He´s wrong. It´s not OK to expect every challenge to be tuned towards us.

Elitism is the right word for that.

I don't feel like people were expecting hardcore challenges aimed at top players. I think we were just looking for...anything really. Something that makes you approach the fight a little differently and have fun working out. As it is, the encounter already encourages different people assigned to plates so most of the time different people get the aura anyway.

Nothing elitist about wanting something a little more creative than that.

Cool. My regular raid group will probably practice this a bit on normal.

When the random person becomes the 'bomb', should that person run to Golgi and detonate on him or just run away?

golgi detonation barely does any damage, focus on clearing adds from a safe distance

whoever gets unstable light automatically takes on add duty

or you could jump out and become the second gazer if you have unstable light, but that would mean everyone in the group being comfortable with gaze duty

Afrocious

Also, because I like bringing up old as fuck conversations, I've always thought no reviving in HM was dumb. It along with the scaling of enemies with little emphasis on changing fight mechanics themselves to be harder make for poor design.

Enemy scaling up + trickier mechanics (by that I mean more than what Bungie has provided in their HMs) + revives would be good. Hell make revives have a 1 minute cooldown or stack for the entire group per fight (first dude down gets 30 secs, second dude gets 45 and so forth).

I don't feel like people were expecting hardcore challenges aimed at top players. I think we were just looking for...anything really. Something that makes you approach the fight a little differently and have fun working out. As it is, the encounter already encourages different people assigned to plates so most of the time different people get the aura anyway.

Exactly.

Fun ideas that change the encounter would be

Warpriest only takes melee/sword damage.

Golgoroth only takes damage from his back side-weakspot.

Oryx has an elemental shield, and the "Match Game" modifier is in effect.

JackHerer

Fear's Embrace is fucking impossible to do solo. I wish it was a strike just to have MM for it, it's so bad at the end.

It is soloable and so is the slightly harder version for the calcified fragment (did both) but it is definitely not fun.

Running some strikes this AM for the first time in a while.

Also, because I like bringing up old as fuck conversations, I've always thought no reviving in HM was dumb. It along with the scaling of enemies with little emphasis on changing fight mechanics themselves to be harder make for poor design.

Enemy scaling up + trickier mechanics (by that I mean more than what Bungie has provided in their HMs) + revives would be good. Hell make revives have a 1 minute cooldown or stack for the entire group per fight (first dude down gets 30 secs, second dude gets 45 and so forth).

The counter argument you often see is "It's Hard mode - you're supposed to stay alive", etc.

Which I would agree with if the encounters were built around that. The problem is that the way the mechanics are, when you layer no-revives on top of it the fail states don't test skill - they test patience. Even if you were to remove the possibility of stupid, unexpected deaths that aren't tied to lack of skill, it still wouldn't be fun.

Totally agree. Not about difficulty but seeing the fight from a different perspective.

Yep. Templar No Teleports is a perfect template.

Outside of that I don't want to engage with the CM debate. It's the type of Destiny conversation that gets really personal and doesn't involve anything I love about the game or the community. I can understand both sides but anything I say is going to be viewed through the "1% of 1%" lens which won't help anyone.

Sigh, its probably going to happen also. I finally decided to run hm after boycotting it because if how crappy the rewards system is.

Bungie needs to stop listening to datto and pay attention to the other 19,999,999 people that bought their game.

Dattos challenge videos are fun to watch but his ideas, elitism, and anger are bad for the game and community in general.

I have watched his videos and generally enjoyed them - but I tuned in to his stream the other day, and also watched his video and have unsubscribed.

I can understand his, and others, disappointment...but he seems to miss several points...most centered around the fact that he and his group are the 1% of the 1%. (That still equates to 2,500 people out of the 25 million registered players!).

I would have been fine if challenge mode had been ultra hard and just gave emblems/shaders..I'm also fine with it as it is now, as it's basically a "fix" to the raid loot that has been pretty shitty.

I don't think he needed to react the way he did, especially having time to reflect before publishing a youtube video, because it was just unnecessary.

Especially as Trials exists, and is going to be a lot harder than almost any PvE encounter.

Mindlog

They should be able to make a raid that still has revives that is worthy of the 'Hard Mode' designation. It's so exhilarating surviving teammate deaths long enough to get everyone up and reset. Far more rewarding too for everyone. Much better than one mistake = wipe.
If the engine is as hard to work with as rumors suggested then it's understandable. However, there's so much more room to add lore appropriate mechanics. For example being torn is something that should happen when you die. Oryx is trying to kill you permanently and is fully aware of what your Ghost can do. Instead of picking up the spark he purposely leaves behind on a platform (for some reason) players should just be standing there when he slams (let Oryx kill you.) Being torn starts a timer to permanent death (a little longer than it would take to run the relic at moderate pace.) Stealing the brand revives you.

That opens up a whole bunch of again lore appropriate possibilities.
Instead of a small armor boost when torn the raid perk increases your perma-death timer.
You must be at least 1/2-3/4 on your super meter to revive a teammate and it costs a significant amount of that light.
Instead of killing Ogres getting them below 15% stuns them. Entering their aura while torn kills you permanently and enrages them. Entering their aura while alive makes them unstable and the more super you feed them the more damage they do when they explode. Instead of a Light Eater Knight that spawns in the opposite corner (for some reason) a group of Taken adds will spawn to protect the stunned Ogre.

In my raid the Daughters are performing the ritual that makes it all possible. Instead of one player being randomly torn one player will be marked with 'Brand of the Sacrifice.' Upon death they are torn and can start the encounter.

I like the raid, but I don't understand why a lot of the stuff that happens in King's Fall actually happens. Vault of Glass was pretty good with adding mechanics that made you nod and say, 'Neat.'

and that's lunch
Fear's Embrace is fucking impossible to do solo. I wish it was a strike just to have MM for it, it's so bad at the end.
1% of 1% and all that, but I hope Fear's Embrace is the template for Destiny 2 campaign encounters. I enjoy that mission so much :]

GlamFM

Banned

That I absolutely agree with.

LTWood12

I have never been a fan of no revives in Hard Mode. As far as upping the difficulty of something, I think it's even less creative than the underleveling. The 30 second revive timer is perfect though. So many frantic and clutch moments can happen going for revives. I really hope they don't feel obligated to always make HM no revives now.

flkraven

It's too late for them to make any changes to the next two challenges so I wouldn't expect our feedback to have any impact in the short term.

LTWood12

None of my 320 artifacts have intellect. My Titan one is strength only. Warpriest must have gotten it back in May from Variks.

None of my 320 artifacts have intellect. My Titan one is strength only. Warpriest must have gotten it back in May from Variks.

Those gear pieces still have a split stat option, just won't be very much. Inspect the item and look at the other stat bubble, once it's leveled up you can throw a little something toward another stat.

Yes, correct; but all the adds are 320. They are not going to allow us to be over leveled for that encounter.

They just gave us the chance to grab a 320 artifact, almost 10 weeks after TTK came out. We still don't have any 320 exotics.

I don't believe 330 loot is a thing, at least not for another 2-3 months when they may end up adding some more content.
Speak for yourself. Nuscka does!

Anyone else still get shafted by RNG last night? My hard mode runs have given me a few rockets at 319. By few I mean 5. Last night they kept the joke rolling by giving me 3 more rockets. A bud in my clan has been going through the same issue, except with snipers. Is bungie scared of my thesan hitting 320?

One my favorite things about TTK: Dis./Str. builds are fun and viable. Been trying to build loadouts for both Int/dis and dis/str.

Smoke bombs/Invis and Vortex nades for days. Controlling that space....or trying to :(

Planet destiny also posted a critical yet constructive view of challenge mode. Its biggest problem, no one had any idea why they initially passed or failed the challenge. And why making a super hard challenge would have been a bad idea.

Datto's video is something I strongly disagree with, and I'm not sure how anyone can be so disappointed or upset when the main premise is completely manufactured.

"If you're going to do challenge modes in Destiny, or any game at all, you need to give them the respect that they deserve or don't do them at all."

This is elitism, plain and simple. 'Hey, Bungie, if I'm not challenged enough, don't even fucking bother, ok?' It's nonsense. Also, we've never had a challenge mode in a Destiny raid, so Datto is outraged over something completely novel not respecting what? An idea he had in his head of how it a challenge mode should work. 'It doesn't respect what I had in my head!' As I said, it's overly dramatic and manufactured.

"I think the worst thing about all of this is just all the negativity it's going to bring. I've been trying really hard to stay positive, but this is just bad news all around, at least for now, at least in the eyes of the hardcore."

This is the kind of posturing that turns differences in opinions about a video game into heated arguments. If you agree with me, you're hardcore and are disappointed. You're seeing a similar implementation of this rhetoric when people on this forum bang on about Reddit. Delineating forum-wide groupthink to dismiss others or to support your point is not a good look.

With all that said, I'm pretty ambivalent on the challenge mode. I'm reserving judgment until I see the other bosses' challenges. I like the loot, though. Good guy, Bungie.

Planet destiny also posted a critical yet constructive view of challenge mode. Its biggest problem, no one had any idea why they initially passed or failed the challenge. And why making a super hard challenge would have been a bad idea.

would agree with that

if you weren't looking for that modifier icon when you select the raid from orbit you wouldn't even know to be doing a challenge lol

I mean at least have Shaxx yell at us or something

everyone's gonna have their own idea about what a Good Challenge is.. Some people think Oryx is too unforgiving

I don't like the dark souls games but many consider them brilliant

It's only a bad idea if the challenge is obfuscated. Challenge mode is literally 'Hey this guy challenges you but we're not going to say what you need to do lolol'.

They should've called it mystery mode. Or something. And really, it's not a challenge as it is a different way of doing the boss. It's definitely not harder. It's the same damn thing. If they made a challenge like, 'Warpriest starts off with all 3 powers', then that would be more fun and actually challenging. What they did instead was 'Ok you can't do it this way, you have to do it that way'. It's weird, confusing, and really not fun.

I get what they're going for, but it's a disappointment.

Infuse, and wait another 3 weeks to get some more 320 artifacts.

Pewpew got a hunter artifact that has the gjlalarhorn emblem on a glove, looks so cool.

Fist of eight moons.

c94954fc8b0f29a380f56e8bd77f9519.png

E92 M3

It's only a bad idea if the challenge is obfuscated. Challenge mode is literally 'Hey this guy challenges you but we're not going to say what you need to do lolol'.

They should've called it mystery mode. Or something. And really, it's not a challenge as it is a different way of doing the boss. It's definitely not harder. It's the same damn thing. If they made a challenge like, 'Warpriest starts off with all 3 powers', then that would be more fun and actually challenging. What they did instead was 'Ok you can't do it this way, you have to do it that way'. It's weird, confusing, and really not fun.

I get what they're going for, but it's a disappointment.

Bungie is smart to not balance the encounters - which are already not played by many - towards only the elite. PUG and premade ones need to be able to do it. Right now, even HM Oryx still gives LFG groups a ton of problems.

I think challenge mode just needs to be a bit more creative, but fair. Unfortunately, the Live Team can't do stuff like that.

Infuse, and wait another 3 weeks to get some more 320 artifacts.

Pewpew got a hunter artifact that has the gjlalarhorn emblem on a glove, looks so cool.

Fist of eight moons.

c94954fc8b0f29a380f56e8bd77f9519.png

That's awesome.

Somebody in a Twitch stream chat (super reliable source of course) said they got a 318 Graviton from the Challenge chest. Is that possible? Everyone from our groups got 310 exotics only so I assumed it was like the Mercury chest and not Trials silver package.

LTWood12

Those gear pieces still have a split stat option, just won't be very much. Inspect the item and look at the other stat bubble, once it's leveled up you can throw a little something toward another stat.

You're right. Titan one can have some discipline, and hunter one can have some intellect.

^ That's the one I got on my Hunter too.

I would hold off on infusing though. For all we know the 320 artifact could be a first-time drop.

Somebody in a Twitch stream chat (super reliable source of course) said they got a 318 Graviton from the Challenge chest. Is that possible? Everyone from our groups got 310 exotics only so I assumed it was like the Mercury chest and not Trials silver package.

My friend got a 320 zhalo from the chest. It said:

"Player found Zhalo Supercell" at the bottom of the screen just like if he found an exotic at the gorgons chest.

Top page edit: the most terrifying enemy in destiny

gxlMgaj.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom