• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

flkraven

Most people I know only killed Skolas a handful of times. More people do a 6 man raid regularily than did the 3 man end game content for HoW. I think it's a combination of the lack of cp, bad rewards, and the overall challenge, but I'd still like them to revisit that encounter and extract the good stuff for the next raid.

They should be able to make a raid that still has revives that is worthy of the 'Hard Mode' designation. It's so exhilarating surviving teammate deaths long enough to get everyone up and reset. Far more rewarding too for everyone. Much better than one mistake = wipe.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Reddit is in full defense mode today regarding "Challenge" mode. Claiming elitism, etc.

Sorry, but Datto's right this time. It was lazy and lacked any creative challenge. Most groups complete this challenge without even trying to. Wouldn't their data show that?

Thanks for the sweet loot though, Bungie!

lt519

I'm totally okay with a little fond reminiscence for ol' Skolly.

Haha it makes me happy, I was trying to get as many people through for the triumphs as possible. The rounds leading up were really boring, especially having done them for the 30th time, but revisiting PoE for strange coins I realized how fun the 3 man fire teams and objectives were. There was a lot of chaos in those small arenas.

I think a big thing for me with Skolas versus Oryx is the frequency of wipes. Even with the newbie runs I was doing we had around a 33-50% success rate. The attempts were longer, progress was felt. Running KF with newbies you are going to have 50 tries to one victory and 20 tries before you even get to the thunderdome. It's way out of whack and mentally draining. The revives and only having 3 people needing to coordinate made it much easier.

They should be able to make a raid that still has revives that is worthy of the 'Hard Mode' designation. It's so exhilarating surviving teammate deaths long enough to get everyone up and reset. Far more rewarding too for everyone. Much better than one mistake = wipe.

Well said.

Jinjo

They will eventually. it wont be 320 forever.

A 10 LL increase along with some minor content in early 2016 seems like a no brainer to me.

Vault of Glass (Taken version) @ 330 light with updated Found Verdict, Fatebringer, Vision of Confluence & Mythoclast BELIEVE.

Also, Gjallarhorn updated to 330 confirmed.

You heard it here first.

Incoming complain posts in 3 months with complaints that Bungie is not delivering up to my hopes and dreams.

E92 M3

Reddit is in full defense mode today regarding "Challenge" mode. Claiming elitism, etc.

Sorry, but Datto's right this time. It was lazy and lacked any creative challenge. Most groups complete this challenge without even trying to. Wouldn't their data show that?

That's the problem, people posting online don't represent most groups.

i don't think this "challenge mode" was substantial enough to hold back for 2 months. But it not being hard enough is definitely something that will only apply to a very small portion of the playerbase. Think the bigger issue is that Bungie will be rolling out this kind of "content" instead of something meatier.

They're just grateful for finally getting good loot on a boss for once.

But you're right. The Challenge mode is a total miss. The encounter as designed doesn't encourage the same person to the be brand holder more than once. Such a bizarre choice. At least we know Golgi will be different.

GlamFM

Banned

He´s wrong. It´s not OK to expect every challenge to be tuned towards us.

Elitism is the right word for that.

E92 M3

Yesterday I realized that moldering shards have a 200 cap, such a shame. The 200 cap on materials is the biggest hassle ever.

darknil

Actually, the no revives rule have made me stay away from Hard Mode. I just don't want to use radiance like I did always on Y1.

After PoE, I really wished they were throwing that mechanic out.

Any recommendations for a bunch of newbies on Hard Mode trying to get challenge mode? We are all 300+ and did it on normal.

I'm calling it right now. The main "theme" of all the challenges are going to be that everyone in the group needs to know how to do every job at any moment of the boss encounter.

Afrocious

I GOT AFROCIOUS

WWW.TWITCH.TV/AFROCIOUS

apparently i made a justin.tv account years ago. probably when i streamed my Ocarina of Time master quest run

BUT I GOT AFROCIOUS

fuck yeah

As for challenge mode, the warpriest challenge is dumb and kind of gross IMO. I don't see why it was held back for this long - especially since it gives out guaranteed 320 gear.

But you're right. The Challenge mode is a total miss. The encounter as designed doesn't encourage the same person to the be brand holder more than once. Such a bizarre choice. At least we know Golgi will be different.

Depends. If the challenge is to have different gazers, then that's not much of a big deal.

If the challenge is to kill him without losing his gaze even once, that will be tougher, especially for those who have never done gaze duty or tried the two-gaze method.

Yesterday I realized that moldering shards have a 200 cap, such a shame. The 200 cap on materials is the biggest hassle ever.

why do you have 200 moldering shards! why!

E92 M3

I GOT AFROCIOUS

WWW.TWITCH.TV/AFROCIOUS

apparently i made a justin.tv account years ago. probably when i streamed my Ocarina of Time master quest run

BUT I GOT AFROCIOUS

fuck yeah

Congrats

Depends. If the challenge is to have different gazers, then that's not much of a big deal.

If the challenge is to kill him without losing his gaze even once, that will be tougher, especially for those who have never done gaze duty or tried the two-gaze method.

why do you have 200 moldering shards! why!

No reason to spend them, so as might as well save them. Eventually, they will convert to something useful lol.

phen0m24

Someone may have said it already but these could be more like bounties than a "challenge"

I mean heck, getting to top of the board in Iron Banner is the hardest thing for me. That should reward a 320 artifact or weapon not some crap RNG low impact sniper rifle.

I miss you Spear...

I GOT AFROCIOUS

WWW.TWITCH.TV/AFROCIOUS

BUT I GOT AFROCIOUS

fuck yeah

snoop.png

No reason to spend them, so as might as well save them. Eventually, they will convert to something useful lol.

No reason to hoard them either.

We still don't have a use for Etheric light. You reckon moldering shards and hadium flakes will have a use? High hopes my friend, high hopes.

flkraven

Is that even possible? Don't you run out of Orbs and ammo before you take him down first run?

Strider

Yea the main issue is they held it back for so long to piecemeal the content.

Tbh if they released HM one week after NM and Challenge mode one week after that you probably would've seen a lot less complaining about loot drops as well since people would've had a guaranteed way to get 320 gear early on.

Instead people bitched about it for months and ultimately ended up disappointed by Challenge mode.

yeah it wouldn't be doable to never lose his gaze

there's only 6 puddles

maybe some sort of check where you have to at least damage him from every puddle

Is that even possible? Don't you run out of Orbs and ammo before you take him down first run?

That's how we did it on the blind run 10 weeks back. 2 perma gazers, diagonal from each other. 3 in the pit for dps, 1 to clear adds (cursed thralls).

The idle gazer would get the orb down and dps team moves from one pool to the other.

Afrocious

You can kill him without failing to catch gaze.

Hell it's A LOT faster to kill him that way than doing single gaze. Just gotta watch out for cursed thralls in the middle that spawn + dropping orbs in a timely manner + worry about ammo conservation. But if folks are rolling with Hung Jury + Black Spindle + raid MG, Golgoroth HM is going down hard.

flkraven

That's how we did it on the blind run 10 weeks back. 2 perma gazers, diagonal from each other. 3 in the pit for dps, 1 to clear adds (cursed thralls).

The idle gazer would get the orb down and dps team moves from one pool to the other.

Yah, but don't you eventually run out of orbs, reset, and then go back and do all 6 again?

yeah it wouldn't be doable to never lose his gaze

there's only 6 puddles

maybe some sort of check where you have to at least damage him from every puddle

you can kill hm golgoroth with 2 puddles, so 6 would be fine. problems would arise due to lack of sniper ammo, untimely deaths, unstable light mixup, etc

2 puddles with 5 dps players
6 puddles with 3 dps players
totally doable

Kaiken

Banned
No issues with this challenge mode. It was fun to rotate characters because of several instances where the middle was the last glyph more than twice.

Time to make your own challenges if this wasn't what you wanted.

KF Hard Mode:
Flawless
Only Hand Cannons, Side Arms and Swords
No Talking
One Cycle/No Extra Cycles
Reward: Two Moldering Shards

Tbh if they released HM one week after NM and Challenge mode one week after that you probably would've seen a lot less complaining about loot drops as well since people would've had a guaranteed way to get 320 gear early on.

Instead people bitched about it for months and ultimately ended up disappointed by Challenge mode.

Yup. With all that talk of secret doors and stuff, I figured the challenges would be something more than just a modifier. Wouldn't have batted an eye if it came out on that schedule. I always thought better loot should be tied to challenging feats, like the Templar no teleport.

Still doesn't really bother me though. It's good that there's guaranteed 320 now, but unless Golgoroth and Oryx drop some swiggity swooty loot, I still don't see the point in running the Raid at all for higher light on mediocre gear.

the other issue with that is people would have even less reason to still be playing the game right now

i don't think it's possible to do 6 orbs and NOT kill him. with tether and wol, golgi goes down real quick

i guess the groups i did the 2 gazer strat with sucked then idk.. never managed to kill him in a single run

phen0m24

So prediction time.

Golgy similar challenge in that each gaze holder needs to be different

Daughters? A 2 cycle kill? So no different than now

Oryx - different runner each time

Have fun

Afrocious

Dunno what folks are saying about it'll be impossible to kill Golgy with 6 orbs unless I'm not reading these posts right. If your group's timing is right, you can nearly kill him or outright do so on the first orb drop of the fight.

I see it working out like this:

First gaze catcher grabs golgy. The first orb drops at this exact moment and dps starts blasting the boss. One dps begins taking an orb down

Unstable light dude jumps over to the second floor behind the weakened orb and grabs Golgy. DPS shoot down weakened orb and relocate to where it dropped, while tossing grenades in the middle to kill thralls. Former gaze catcher joins dps - perhaps blasting thralls along the way.

rinse and repeat four more times.

I'd actually like to try this out in HM with a team full of black spindlers.

Wait, is it about to go down? ... Is it happening now? Oohhh shit, it is...

***DRUM SOLO!!!!***

My favorites were the 45 minute long kills where the music would just stop playing at some point, haha.

Hell not just the music, but the audio would die out because of that weird glitch. I grew to appreciate it but it made the fight that much boring lol.

i don't think the sisters will have their own challenge

at least going by the emblems available in the kiosk .. theres only 2 more the spider emblem and the oryx emblem

also only 3 fragments

LTWood12

So prediction time.

Golgy similar challenge in that each gaze holder needs to be different

Daughters? A 2 cycle kill? So no different than now

Oryx - different runner each time

Have fun

Golgi could go a number of ways. I think it'll skew on the easier side than some here are hypothesizing.

There is no daughters challenge as far as we know.

Oryx i think will skew easier as well. I don't see them forcing a different runner every time. I'm thinking something more like never having a bomb get eaten.

E92 M3

Golgi could go a number of ways. I think it'll skew on the easier side than some here are hypothesizing.

There is no daughters challenge as far as we know.

Oryx i think will skew easier as well. I don't see them forcing a different runner every time. I'm thinking something more like never having a bomb get eaten.

After all of the cry babies this week, they will probably make it as hard as possible lol.

Strider

the other issue with that is people would have even less reason to still be playing the game right now

Who cares? If you've followed the thread recently you'd notice people were not playing anyway

Holding back content and being stingy with loot in the hopes of retaining players does not work and only annoys your playerbase. In the end it drives players away more than keeps them around.

--

An example of a positive change is the most recent IB. It rained loot and that loot was good. People were thrilled and talking about how much they enjoyed it and that they will be sure to play IB next time too. That's how you retain players, not the other way around.

Namikaze1

There's no challenge attached to sisters. We already knew what the challenges were for a long time (through the datamine before release)

flkraven

i don't think it's possible to do 6 orbs and NOT kill him. with tether and wol, golgi goes down real quick

Cool. My regular raid group will probably practice this a bit on normal.

When the random person becomes the 'bomb', should that person run to Golgi and detonate on him or just run away?

Afrocious

How Destiny rewards stuff has always been janky or half-assed due to the piecemeal portions of deliverables Bungie provides. Challenge mode bosses are giving us loot that we probably should've had to begin with - that said, this goes back to the issue of KF loot dropping between a range. Even if nothing in the game besides KF HM requires folks to be higher than 310, why not just give us 320 stuff to begin with so we could match Oryx at least?

Furthermore, the rewards for doing stuff makes no sense. Getting to mercury to get an assy 311 pulse rifle? Getting absolutely nothing for going flawless in a raid? Having a KDR <1.0 in a match to get a 320 ghost (no offense nami lol just trying to make a point)? Shards?

Challenge mode is a step up from the annoying time-gated exotics, but the fundamental problems can't be ignored.

I just spawned into a game of Skirmish with 1 vs 6 during a heavy ammo round.
WTF?!!!! Bungie Please!!!

PvP is kinda sorta screwy lately. Yesterday while playing Control, I died and spawned on B (which was still held by my team, but there were 3 players there sniping across the map). I took one out, but the other two sniped me. That was Death No. 1.

So, I brush it off as bad luck and press Square to respawn... guess where? The same damn place with the two snipers and got spawn sniped. That was Death No. 2.

At this point I'm kinda sorta pissed. So, I wait the whole 10 seconds for the respawn and I spawn again on B (still held by my team, but surrounded by 3 snipers AGAIN) and get killed pronto. Death No. 3 and then I just logged out.

flkraven

First gaze catcher grabs golgy. The first orb drops at this exact moment and dps starts blasting the boss. One dps begins taking an orb down

Unstable light dude jumps over to the second floor behind the weakened orb and grabs Golgy. DPS shoot down weakened orb and relocate to where it dropped, while tossing grenades in the middle to kill thralls. Former gaze catcher joins dps - perhaps blasting thralls along the way.

rinse and repeat four more times.

I'd actually like to try this out in HM with a team full of black spindlers.

Hell not just the music, but the audio would die out because of that weird glitch. I grew to appreciate it but it made the fight that much boring lol.

Sometimes the unstable light is finicky and doesn't appear until gaze is almost/totally gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom