• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTWood12

Zoba, the third I can't remember, and myself did. It was Arc and we fucked up the initial dps so we ended up running around for 15 minutes playing hot potato, reviving folks, and damaging Skolas a bit.

I think I have a video of that run somewhere...

That's really impressive. Even the fucking dregs can like 2 shot you right? It was insane.

lt519

Oh no. We've officially reached the point of the sine curve where I have to remind everyone that arachnophobia is a real thing for some people so please don't post horrifying spider pictures.

Dark Destiny days indeed.

I'm just amazed we reached the point where the content that got the most vitriol, PoE, is now being looked back as the best boss fight in the game.

Can we post pictures of spider tanks?

eZ8vl76.gif

Skolas encounter was a less than minute kill with burns... the fight is way better after they remove the burns.

Arc = Arc Efreddit (or any other sniper)
Void = Void Efreddit (or any other sniper)
Solar = Solar Efreddit (or any other sniper) or just Gally him

Pfft...

Arc burn was the reign of the Fourth Horseman AKA Death.

LTWood12

The few times I played Skolas when it had burns, we did void normally. Arc was my least favorite. Goddamn fallen snipers.

Yeah I did Void normally as well. That's when I realized it really is a great encounter, that was initially fucked by the modifiers. Corrective Measure on his fat-ass head felt damn good.

flkraven

I'm just amazed we reached the point where the content that got the most vitriol, PoE, is now being looked back as the best boss fight in the game.

Can we post pictures of spider tanks?

eZ8vl76.gif

The biggest problem with PoE was that the rewards were garbage.

Namikaze1

That's really impressive. Even the fucking dregs can like 2 shot you right? It was insane.
We didn't even get him low enough for the first set of mines to appear since once of us ended up dying during dps.

It was insane. We put all of our focus on taking out the snipers first cause they just kept one shotting us with their near perfect aim.

We spent most of the time just running around in circles cause of those snipers and the brand.

Skolas became a good encounter not just when they removed the burns, but when they changes the adds from spawning on time intervals to health intervals.

Before the change, Skolas would have adds spawn every 45 seconds. So if you didn't clear everything out in 45 seconds, you were fucked because you would get outnumbered super quickly.

The change was something like adds spawned every 8% of his health that was lost. Which meant you controlled when adds spawned, but also encourages people to take their time with the encounter so as not to trigger too many adds at once.

This usually meant slow pacing until Skolas was around 25% where people would unleash the demons of hell upon him and burn him down, despawning the adds in the process.

Afrocious

Skolas was not good because he was a bullet sponge as far as when I played. Burns were removed from that fight AFAIK. Also there was no semblance of strategy that was worthy of an endgame boss aside from pass the debuff.

He'd be a good world boss though.

LTWood12

Alright, whose up for putting on some year one armor, equipping year one weapons, and giving Skolas the ol' number 6 for old times sake?

And no checkpoints if people wanted to take a break.

That was a huge problem, all or nothing. There were so many times i would get up to skolas. And had to quit due to time, family or jyst tired. Just to have to run it all over again the next time i tried.

darknil

Skolas was a fun idea, it really needed checkpoints, getting only to Skolas was already challenging and long. I hated the Cabal round with Arc Burn, getting killed by randomly Arc waves sent by Psion while taking cover. Also, killing the VIP without arc shotguns almost felt luck based.

Rewards were shit, yes, but I think mainly because of Variks perks being shit.

I've been running Skolas these last weeks, now it's a fun encounter, almost like I was having revenge after getting killed so many times in HoW.

On Destiny present, any recommendations on rolls of Tuonela, Kumakatok and Uffern?

Also, what is worth getting this week? Zarinea? Arminious-D?

LTWood12

This little fella never had his moment in the sun save for the last solar burn nightfall.
xX0oltql.jpg

365 was a cool 'max level' number.

PoE was just boring. It was such a crappy replacemen for a raid, at least at the time that's how I felt. I wanted another VoG, but now that KF is a thing I'm not looking forward to new raids anymore. VoG was a fluke I guess.

Oh, Crota's End exists too and that wasn't very good either.

This little fella never had his moment in the sun save for the last solar burn nightfall.
xX0oltql.jpg

365 was a cool 'max level' number.

Last solar burn nf i remember before ttk was archon priest. It alao had small arms. With a wol bubble we killed him with one clip of voc.

Oh memories

Eyusluna is ace, can't wait for the patch and hopefully get a LiTC version

Skolas was balls but this it still gave me my favourite thing from Destiny

Kr6k3Q.gif

Void Burn Skolas was when I discovered just how useless Truth is in PvE. Corrective Measure >>>>>>>>>> Truth

Truefacts

Also, am i the only one salty that Truth was ever buffed? Should have stayed 1 rocket before reloading. Nothing like dodging one rocket and having the second or even third one come flying after.

E92 M3

Truefacts

Also, am i the only one salty that Truth was ever buffed? Should have stayed 1 rocket before reloading. Nothing like dodging one rocket and having the second or even third one come flying after.

!heavy

Yeah, nothing fun about dodging truth rockets.

Strider

I'd probably run PoE if it was the current end game instead of KF tbh

So idk if I actually prefer raids or not in the end :/

!heavy

Yeah, nothing fun about dodging truth rockets.

I can dodge Truth rockets well enough (and by dodge "rockets", I mean, dodge one and then run the other way, putting lots of big ass covers between you and the shooter), it's that damn Elulim's Frenzy with the insane cluster bombs that gets me every fuckin' time...

I cheated on my Skolas kill, I used Drizz.

I can relate. I have only one Skolas kill (left after TDB) and Drizz and iRawr did all the heavy lifting on that one kill I have to my credit.

Can we post pictures of spider tanks?]

Haha yes awesome spider tank gifs are always acceptable.

To be fair, pretty much everyone liked Skolas post burn. The problem was that hardly anyone cared about PoE anymore by then. The terrible loot plus the other boring rounds w unchanging modifiers burned people out fast.

Moments of Triumph created a very unique situation. It meant tons of people wanted to kill Skolas... but only once. Which was perfect because it was such an immanently teachable encounter. Newbies could both make mistakes without causing a wipe (unlike Oryx) and have a chance to make big plays, to feel valuable (unlike Scrota).

I'm totally okay with a little fond reminiscence for ol' Skolly.

my lasting memory of skolas is of sitting in the airlock waiting for ammo synth to cool down and doing "ammo runs"

love him as a character though and that music of course

Only thing that sucks about ranking up with the Gunsmith is that now I have these two great new primaries sitting at a useless 280 and no extra primaries to infuse into them.

Guess I'll have to hope that my last raid drops a primary or two. First world problems.

Sky Walker

It seems I was the only one who used to kill Skolas almost every week before and after the burn patch.

Why?
I thought the encounter was challenging in a fun way especially after post-burn patch
.*hides*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom