• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what the Raid gear should have looked like:

WsE2TM8.jpg

Or if they were so desperate to do a palette swap for Hard mode, they should have made the Hard mode gear be taken like that.

I remember during the alpha and beta, people speculated that you could get enemy weapons because you unlocked their cards and when you got killed it would specify the weapon...they should do that. It would increase replay of old areas(oh I want to farm a fallen line rifle) and they could use existing assets for those weapons. Even have unique perks for each enemy faction.

Its lame. Theres so many things Bungie could be doing in regard to loot variety. Im sick of getting hand cannons or scout rifles that practically look and feel the same.

XenoRaven

The light level system is fine, the problem is the loot that goes with it.

The game gives you drops based on your light level up to a certain point. Why this certain point isn't the cap, i have no idea.

The system could work, if the loot system complimented it.
This is fair. It just seems to me like with the current system you do content and consistently get drops that are completely worthless to you, even before you've maxed your Light. This is kind of annoying considering Light is an actual barrier to certain content.

It seemed like pretty much everyone agreed that unlocking damage/defense nodes to raise your Light Level was dumb. At least with that system, you could do some bounties, do your daily/weekly/NF, do some Crucible, and upgrade the weapon in a reasonable amount of time. You had a clear objective and you knew what you needed to do to upgrade the weapon. Now you do content with the hope you'll get a drop that's higher Light than what you already have, so you can infuse it and upgrade the weapon you actually like to possibly the same Light level as the infused weapon but probably a few points lower. But it all depends on RNG giving you a drop that's higher Light than what you have, but isn't good enough to actually use.

It gets especially weird with Exotics, since each time you infuse something into an Exotic, you're burning an Exotic shard. So you want to wait to upgrade your Exotics until you get some really high Light gear to minimize the number of Exotic shards you lose. But higher Light drops are also dependent on your current Light, so by not upgrading your Exotics, you lessen your chance of getting a higher Light drop.

They cynic in me says the Light system isn't so much meant to be an improvement for the player, but an attempt to give the most hardcore players something to strive for. In the old system, once you hit 34, the only incentive for you to continue playing (other than the fact that the game is fun, which is enough IMO) was to collect every Exotic/Raid Legendary/Elemental Primary/whatever else people collected. Now, it's really difficult to hit the maximum possible Light, and it gives completionists a goal rather than the completionists having to invent their own.

Orys giving no loot slays me, not even Atheon was that stingy. Even if all you got was shards or energy from him at least those shards could go to leveling up your gear or weapons.

what

why is that better

you don't need those stupid things to upgrade weapons anymore! and you can use motes of light to level up! way better imo

I've also never personally experienced getting nothing at all from oryx.. usually theres an exotic at the very least.. and I've done 3x raids pretty much every week

GhaleonEB

well i mentioned this before

Being max level in Year One meant that you could play the whole game at max level - Dailys, Nightfalls, Weekly Heroics, Iron Banner, Trials of Osiris, Raids and Prison of Elders. Once you hit 300 in Year Two, there's no reason to chase light unless you want to keep raiding. So not only is the gear dropping at a lower level then you'd need it to, there's also the fact that you don't even need it to begin with.

I have a hypothesis that the reason IB gear is dropping at over 300 - and over 310 - is because there are going to be more activities at those light levels before much longer, and Bungie is providing another way for players to get ready for them. (One raid, Trials and Prison of Elders from the list was added after Destiny shipped; I think we'll see a similar build out of endgame activities as year 2 progresses.)

Lnkn52

REFER A FRIEND
Become Legend Together
RaF_Header_Frontpage.jpg

https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Troubleshoot?oid=13995
GUIDED SUPPORT: REFER-A-FRIEND PROGRAM FOR DESTINY: THE TAKEN KING
The Refer-A-Friend program is a new feature that allows two players to earn unique rewards while playing Destiny: The Taken King together.

Veterans are those who have played Destiny: The Taken King, and are looking to invite friends or new players to play with.
Referees are new players looking to play Destiny: The Taken King with a Veteran.

Refer-a-Friend is available on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One console platforms.
For additional information, follow the links below.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Troubleshoot?oid=13996
REFER-A-FRIEND: VETERANS
Veterans are those who have played Destiny: The Taken King, and are looking to invite friends or new players to play with.

Veteran status is granted to players upon playing Destiny: The Taken King for the first time.
Veterans may only create referral links to players who qualify for Referee status.

Please note:
Referees may only accept a referral from a single Veteran.
If a Pending, Accepted, or Active Link is cancelled after accepting a referral, Referees may only accept another referral from the same Veteran.
If you qualify for both Veteran and Referee status, accepting a referral will have no impact on pending referrals you've sent to other players.
For steps on how to form a Link with a Referee, follow the "Forming a Link" button below.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Troubleshoot?oid=13962
REFER-A-FRIEND FAQ
Q: How do I qualify for Refer-a-Friend?
A: Players must have played Destiny: The Taken King in order to qualify for this program. For additional details on how to qualify for Referee, or to qualify for Veteran status to send referrals, please read the below information.
Refer-a-Friend is only available on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles.

Referees (New Players)
Players may qualify for Referee status for 7 days when playing Destiny: The Taken King for the first time after purchase.
Only players who qualify for Referee status may accept a referral.
Referees may only accept a referral from a single Veteran.
If a Pending, Accepted, or Active Link is cancelled after accepting a referral, you may only accept another referral from the same Veteran.
Veteran status is automatically granted once a player logs into Destiny: The Taken King for the first time.
If you qualify for both Veteran and Referee status, accepting a referral will have no impact on pending referrals you've sent to other players.

Veterans (Existing Players)
Veteran status is granted to players upon playing Destiny: The Taken King for the first time.
Veterans may only create referral links to players who meet the requirements above.

Q: How can I form a Link with other players?
A: In order to initiate an in-game Link, players must link to each other through Bungie.net. Refer-a-Friend features are not currently available in the Destiny Companion App.

If you are a Referee:
Follow the referral link that a Veteran has provided you.
If you have not created a Bungie.net profile, you will be asked to create one.
Follow the steps to Link to the Veteran. Ensure that you are linking to your Veteran on the correct console platform (e.g., PlayStation 4 or Xbox One).
If you see an incorrect platform, you will need a new referral for the correct platform.
It may take up to an hour for your completed Link to appear in-game.
Once Linked, the Quest "A Tale of Two Guardians" will become available from the Speaker in the Tower.
*Please note: If your referral link is not working, please check with the Veteran to ensure that the referral is still available.

If you are a Veteran:
Create a referral link on Bungie.net through the Refer-a-Friend tab. Be sure to create an invitation for the correct console platform, as referral links are only valid for the platform specified.
Send the Referral link to your Referee.
After your Referee has followed this URL, your accounts will become Linked on Bungie.net.
It may take up to an hour for your completed Link to appear in-game.
Once Linked, the Quest "A Tale of Two Guardians" will become available from the Speaker in the Tower.
*Please note: Veterans may have a total four Pending, Accepted, or Linked Referees at a time, per console platform. These may be viewed under the Refer-a-Friend tab.

If a player needs to remove a Pending referral or Referee, this can be done through the Refer-a-Friend page on Bungie.net.

Q: I accidentally cancelled my Link with another player. What should I do?
A: If you are a Referee, you may only accept a new referral from your original Veteran. You may not accept new referrals from other Veterans.
If you are a Veteran, you may create and send a new referral to your Referee.

Q: How do I complete the Refer-a-Friend Quest "A Tale of Two Guardians"?
A: Quest steps may only be completed while Linked to a player who is present in your Fireteam.
Quest steps will only be marked as complete if they are active on a character while in a Fireteam with a Linked friend.
Personal Quest progress may be viewed on Bungie.net, or in Destiny under the Quest tab in Character Inventory.

Q: Why didn't I make progress on my Quest?
A: Ensure that both you and your Linked friends have acquired the Quest "A Tale of Two Guardians".

All Quest steps must be completed with a Linked friend present in your Fireteam.
When completing Quest steps, make sure you're both engaged in the same activities (e.g., Patrol Bounties, Public Events)

Q: Where do I view my Linked friends and Quest progress?
A: Players have the ability to view the Quest progress for their own characters and those of their Linked friends under the Refer-a-Friend tab.
Players must acquire the Quest "A Tale of Two Guardians" to view progress on Bungie.net
Both Linked players must acquire this Quest for progress to appear to each other on Bungie.net

All qualifying players may view their personal progress within Destiny, under the Quests tab in Character Inventory.

Q: Can I access Refer-a-Friend if I am playing Destiny through console sharing features?
A: Bungie does not support console sharing features. Players must own Destiny: The Taken King in order to qualify for Referee status in the Refer-a-Friend program, and meet the requirements listed above.

Q: Where do I recover my rewards?
A: Rewards can be recovered through their respective Collections in the Tower. More information can be found at this Help Article.
If an Infinite Edge sword is Dismantled or Infused, another can be purchased from Lord Shaxx in the Tower.

If none of these steps solved your problem, you may return to the help page to seek other answers.

Email Invites

Rewards
jtyiMDv.png

Quests
Complete a Story mission with a Linked Friend.
"When allies work toward a common cause, there is little that can stand in their way." —The Speaker

Complete Patrols with a Linked Friend.
"This world is vast, and danger lurks in every shadowed corner. Shine your Light, and give the Darkness no place to hide." —The Speaker

Win a Crucible match with a Linked Friend.
"In the fires of the Crucible, a Guardian watching your back can be the difference between glorious victory and agonizing defeat." —Lord Shaxx

Reach Level 40 and then return to the Tower to talk with the Speaker.
"You have achieved great things, Guardian, but there is always more to accomplish." —The Speaker

Complete the Daily Heroic Story mission with a Linked Friend.
"The galaxy is more dangerous than ever. Fight as one, and together you will triumph against the Darkness." —The Speaker

Complete a Heroic Strike with a Linked Friend.
"When the going gets tough, two guns are always better than one." —Cayde-6

Complete the Weekly Nightfall Strike with a Linked Friend.
"Keep your friends by your side and your weapons loaded." —Cayde-6

Talk to the Speaker in the Tower.

No it wouldn't, because you still couldn't equip them. They both still require LL290 to even enter the playlist.

I can't equip my messenger and armamentarium and be over 290. I end up around 284.

If you remove the LL effectiveness from IB and Trials then there's little reason at all to have a LL requirement. It's just adding a gate before the activity.

This would be especially bad for IB since it would eliminate the ability to quickly bring alts up.

My 2 week old Warlock alt is now LL 299, heavily as a result of IB.

ich00

No it wouldn't, because you still couldn't equip them. They both still require LL290 to even enter the playlist.

I can't equip my messenger and armamentarium and be over 290. I end up around 284.

You just have to start matchmaking then you can equip y1 gear. We ran into a group using icebreakers and messengers on Friday. I got a kill with my khvostov too(that was really hard, had to team shoot the guy).

Axoman

I'll try and see if anyone wants to join!

Hard King's Fall from Totems on xb1:

1) xplicitone
2) iceman
3)
4)
5)
6)

I doubt I can play with you guys tonight, but in the future, hit me up. I've yet to finish HM KF. But, I think max I can currently be is 307-308.

If you remove the LL effectiveness from IB and Trials then there's little reason at all to have a LL requirement. It's just adding a gate before the activity.

This would be especially bad for IB since it would eliminate the ability to quickly bring alts up.

My 2 week old Warlock alt is now LL 299, heavily as a result of IB.
I don't understand your point at all. The LL minimum exists already, so how could it be worse than it already is now?

You just have to start matchmaking then you can equip y1 gear. We ran into a group using icebreakers and messengers on Friday. I got a kill with my khvostov too(that was really hard, had to team shoot the guy).

Yeah, but they're still at a disadvantage. I love my messenger, and even tried to use it in IB, but it became a 3-shot kill. Which meant it was pointless to continue using.

Namikaze1

I have a "friend". His name is StormVega01. If anyone wants to help that "friend", send him a friend request.

I only ask that I can help out your "friend" afterwards.

wink wink

I make a sub-account.
You make a sub-account.

I refer you.
You refer me.

I have a "friend". His name is StormVega01. If anyone wants to help that "friend", send him a friend request.

I only ask that I can help out your "friend" afterwards.

wink wink

I would be down to do this. Sooo badly. Wait.............we have to level up a new account to level 40? Ahhhhhhh
Is that really in the game? where?

Its a taken centurions gun.

Who needs challenge mode, balanced raid drops, any sort of drop from crucible, more crucible maps. No one lets give them refer a friend they'll lap it up

And so the Destiny mirage continues

Deku Tree

I'll do refer a friend legit if someone want's help, but there is no way I am getting an alt on a sub account NF ready or even NF eligible just to get a shader, sparrow, and a dance.

Nah bro...

tumblr_n3bu0sWwEo1r5lqijo1_500.gif

Why can't they just let us buy this cosmetic stuff instead, they could still make $$$$$$

It's called artificial word of mouth advertising.

Basically, they're trying to provide positive reinforcement for pulling a friend into the game where maybe their own advertisement is failing/lacking.

Namikaze1

I finally get to put that alt count I made almost a year ago to good use.

I mean my "friend" will finally try out Destiny! Yes. That...

Who needs (1) challenge mode, (2) balanced raid drops, (3) any sort of drop from crucible, (4) more crucible maps. No one lets give them refer a friend they'll lap it up

And so the Destiny mirage continues

1) Challenge mode details come tomorrow or Wednesday.
2) Hahaha.
3) Last week's patch literally addresses just this.
4) They had an event that added one for free, which they've never added maps outside of a major DLC before.

So 3/4 ain't bad?

Destiny still has some serious problems, but on those points, they're doing okay.

E92 M3

Can the "friend" be carried in this mission. My friend doesn't like playing for too long and I want to make the experience as smooth as possible for him.

It's called artificial word of mouth advertising.

Basically, they're trying to provide positive reinforcement for pulling a friend into the game where maybe their own advertisement is failing/lacking.

Anyone would think they wouldn't need it, what with there 25 million accounts
2) Hahaha.
4) They had an event that added one for free, which they've never added maps outside of a major DLC before.

So 3/4 ain't bad?

Destiny still has some serious problems, but on those points, they're doing okay.

1) Details
2) same
3) Its changed nothing for normal crucible, someone tested it on Reddit they got 1 legendary from 25 games
4) Come on thats stretching it, its been there since Day 1 but was released to up the good will, which would then encourage people to spend real cash

Anyone would think they wouldn't need it, what with there 25 million accounts

It's a cascading effect. They're trying to reach markets they might not normally reach, or just get people to submit because "Well, it's what everyone else is playing, so I guess it's really my only option."

WoW worked the same way. People talked about it, and it had such a large advertising presence that it was pulling in people that had never played MMOs before, or people that were curious about other MMOs, but knew WoW had the numbers, so why not play with your friends.

Anyone have a "friend" I can help sherpa throughout this stuff? Will return the favor, I just need to find some free PSN cards. Also my SO's mother is staying over in our apartment so I have to find time to grab the tv :(

Deku Tree

2) Hahaha.

So 3/4 ain't bad?

Tales from... how do you know that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom