• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTWood12

Hey LT! Still lurking around here, nice to see that some people still remember us :p

As Ruthless said I'm taking a long break and I don't see myself returning soon tbh. I didn't feel like praying for gear that could get me one light higher. And even though we got to the Lighthouse x3 in the first week of Y2 Trials, it wasn't fun. I don't think sparrow racing will change anything for me. But most importantly, I don't have a lot of time and energy for gaming now that I've started my PhD. Last week I worked 45h.

Good to hear from you! I can absolutely understand that. Best of luck this fall in your studies/research. Glad you're still around in lurk mode. Hopefully do some pvp when you get some free time after the patch.

Legacy engram once again failed to give me my only missing exotic special weapon (the bow).
Got my 10th or so lord of wolves instead.
The random emote pack RNG is probably gonna be as good this nonsense.

Hey I just realized I haven't seen EJR around here in weeks. Miss that dude and Tears too.

Edit:regarding rng emote bags
Hypothesis
You don't ever get an emote you already own. That is until you've gotten all of them. At which point, it's not going to lock you out from purchasing them again if you're an idiot.

The random sparrow bag was greyed out and said something like "Already own everything" which sounded like they wouldn't let you keep buying them. Of course emotes might be different, and I hope you're right or at least it turns out to not be as it appears now.

Deku Tree

Legacy engram once again failed to give me my only missing exotic special weapon (the bow).
Got my 10th or so lord of wolves instead.
The random emote pack RNG is probably gonna be as good this nonsense.

The thing is that the "highly likely" chance of getting something you don't have odds become worse and worse when your only missing a few things or worse when your only missing one thing and your trying really hard to collect them all. This is a way of exploiting people who "need" to have everything.

The bow is kind of not worth it anyway IMO. Your much better off doing PoE 35 and opening the big chest for a chance at a PoE exotic, whenever you have a treasure key, if you really want the bow.

For the random fall 2015 emote bag the smart money is on not buying it. The best part of all this for me is that we are still talking about emotes that don't affect gameplay that you absolutely have no need to buy.

As far as we currently know, Destiny's MT's still do not affect gameplay. H5 MT's certainly do affect Warzone Gameplay. I don't like any MT's but for me any MTs that affect gameplay are terribly worse than MTs that don't affect gameplay.

Only for Warzone. And despite that, theyre adding BTB and Forge to it which wont be affected by REQs. And the nature of Warzone is such that even if you get what is considered an OP weapon REQ, you can still get shot by a battle rifle halfway across the map...

LTWood12

The random sparrow bag was greyed out and said something like "Already own everything" which sounded like they wouldn't let you keep buying them. Of course emotes might be different, and I hope you're right or at least it turns out to not be as it appears now.

Ah I must have missed that. Either way I'm sure as shit not spending money on anything that has a possibility of arbitrarily giving me something I already have.

The thing is that the "highly likely" chance of getting something you don't have odds become worse and worse when your only missing a few things or worse when your only missing one thing and your trying really hard to collect them all. This is a way of exploiting people who "need" to have everything.

The bow is kind of not worth it anyway IMO. Your much better off doing PoE 35 and opening the big chest for a chance at a PoE exotic, whenever you have a treasure key, if you really want the bow.

Good to know!
I mistakenly interpreted Bungie's explanation of legacy engrams as "you basically are pretty much guaranteed to get the old, useless stuff you don't have yet". Didn't realise it's far more nefarious than that.

For the random fall 2015 emote bag the smart money is on not buying it. The best part of all this for me is that we are still talking about emotes that don't affect gameplay that you absolutely have no need to buy.

What it means that if you have the formal bow emote and only want to to get the sorrow emote, you may end up spending a whole bunch of money going through all the other emotes before you eventually get the one you want.

Frenden

Banned
Buying the book to get better drops is dangerously close to pay to loot. Which, in a loot game, is a razor's edge from pay to win.

Man, I went from a little bummed that there was no shooting content and pretty hype for Sparrow Racing to pretty bummed about the whole thing now.

The best part of all this for me is that we are still talking about emotes that don't affect gameplay that you absolutely have no need to buy.

Yeah I definitely agree with you about the gameplay vs cosmetic MT distinction. That's ultimately the big picture good news for me as well.

The possibility of getting duplicate emotes just bugs me because it's changing a real world, real money transaction into a phony, video gamey transaction. It's like a restaurant telling you "we're sorry, but we decided that today you actually ordered the sandwich you ate yesterday." Then taking your money anyway.

Disclaimer:
Hopefully this doesn't sound too melodramatic, meant to be lighthearted. I know businesses need money to keep the lights on and it's still cosmetic.

Buying the book to get better drops is dangerously close to pay to loot. Which, in a loot game, is a razor's edge from pay to win.

Man, I went from a little bummed that there was no shooting content and pretty hype for Sparrow Racing to pretty bummed about the whole thing now.

Theres a book for loot? Wat?

The fuck is this, Maple Story? Theyre gonna sell 2x loot drops or something?

What the fuck

All the reasons to race are pay2access.

I assume after the initial quests, like festival of the lost, thr only way to earn the stuff worth keeping is through paying.

Man, fuck off Bungie. Fuck your microtransaction nonsense if its going to be used to fund more microtransaction filled events.

In the video, the guy has unlimited silver. Silver requirement may just be a placeholder, so I wouldn't get mad about it just yet.

The horns are like masks, and require something like glue to make them permanent. We'll probably get one legendary horn for free, like the masks.

Deku Tree

Yeah I definitely agree with you about the gameplay vs cosmetic MT distinction. That's ultimately the big picture good news for me as well.

The possibility of getting duplicate emotes just bugs me because it's changing a real world, real money transaction into a phony, video gamey transaction. It's like a restaurant telling you "we're sorry, but we decided that today you actually ordered the sandwich you ate yesterday." Then taking your money anyway.

Disclaimer:
Hopefully this doesn't sound too melodramatic, meant to be lighthearted. I know businesses need money to keep the lights on and it's still cosmetic.

I agree and I don't like it at all. The only way to get Bungie to change the way the store works is if people don't buy the RNG emote pack. That probably won't happen.

As I understand these pricing models, all you need is like 1% of the whale customers to go hog wild on the RNG emote packs to expect to make more money than you would otherwise if things were done in a more upfront manner.

In the video, the guy has unlimited silver. Silver requirement may just be a placeholder, so I wouldn't get mad about it just yet.

The horns are like masks, and require something like glue to make them permanent. We'll probably get one legendary horn for free, like the masks.

That guy had two purple horns. Wouldn't be surprised if we got one free purple and one free upgrade material. And the purples dismantle into the upgrade material so technically you can get two permanent items. Same as Halloween masks.

Edit: brb Nami and co. Mic is weird.

That guy had two purple horns. Wouldn't be surprised if we got one free purple and one free upgrade material. And the purples dismantle into the upgrade material so technically you can get two permanent items. Same as Halloween masks.

Yeah possibly. Having horns for sparrows is kinda stupid though. I know everyone will be after the duck horn, which like the skull mask, will only drop from packages bought with silver...

Wait a minute. Based on that video we have to buy the book to race? Or is it needed to get the extra stuff?

Amanda is the racing quartermaster, not Tess. So whatever Tess is peddling will not/should not be required to race.

afaik you have to speak with Amanda to get your racing license.

Eh, it's just RNG being RNG in that case, I think. The very first legacy special weapon engram I bought net me my missing Dreg's Promise.

Of course, nobody should put any faith whatsoever into real money RNG. Hell, even if Bungie goes and guarantees you'll only get emotes you don't have. If there's any emotes out there that anyone's still willing to spend money on... spend the money now to buy it specifically and definitely don't wait for RNG to take over.

for anyone at the PS event, could you ask Bungie to confirm if we can really race 6 friends. or if our fireteam of three is going to have to try finding our 3 friends(in their own fireteam) in matchmaking.

Nothus

Man those HM Oryx attempts were frustrating as hell. Took us ages to finally get our shit together as a group, and then we get down to the last bomb run and the game glitches on us?!

Namikaze1

for anyone at the PS event, could you ask Bungie to confirm if we can really race 6 friends. or if our fireteam of three is going to have to try finding our 3 friends(in their own fireteam) in matchmaking.
Deej specifically said 6 friends while he was being interviewed by the PS folks. He said you can race against your buddies or against the world via matchmaking.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Still looking for a HM Oryx run today, I will have no time tomorrow because... I'm literally defending my Master's. :lol

someone! anyone! I know I should be studying but shhhhhhhhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom