• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuszka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eBhv4bP8fk
in this video the guy mentions a record book, which gives you access to additional bounties that give you extra loot, it costs $10 though. Not sure what to think about it. Im all in for paying for customization items that don't affect the gameplay, but this is a bit to much , especially if its for an event that is not even confirmed to stay on, as we know bungie likes to try different things and change stuff around.
Definitely not getting defensive about it, will see how things will be on Tuesday and what sort of stuff you can get for opening your wallet.

Deku Tree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eBhv4bP8fk
in this video the guy mentions a record book, which gives you access to additional bounties that give you extra loot, it costs $10 though. Not sure what to think about it. Im all in for paying for customization items that don't affect the gameplay, but this is a bit to much , especially if its for an event that is not even confirmed to stay on, as we know bungie likes to try different things and change stuff around.
Definitely not getting defensive about it, will see how things will be on Tuesday and what sort of stuff you can get for opening your wallet.

The $10 record book (called vol. 1) is definately for this event only, even if the event comes back with the same type of record book, you'll most likely need to buy a new book.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Good luck! Gotta do a thesis defense in a year..need to find a lab first :/

thanks!

how are you planning to do a thesis defense in a year without a lab yet? it takes longer than a year from start to finish! :p

If you live near me I can easily get you a lab haha

thanks!

how are you planning to do a thesis defense in a year without a lab yet? it takes longer than a year from start to finish! :p

If you live near me I can easily get you a lab haha

Current plan is get into a lab this week since I have a few interviews over the next few days. Then a year worth of research with a thesis defense in the following spring to finish up my master.

Smiley90

Current plan is get into a lab this week since I have a few interviews over the next few days. Then a year worth of research with a thesis defense in the following spring to finish up my master.

A year's worth of research is gonna cut it really close for a Master's - depends on the field of course, but that's REALLY short - especially given that you usually just spend the first 1-2 semesters learning techniques and not really doing your project yet. Unless you're doing something like theoretical physics, those are AFAIK the shortest ones. Just saying. :p Most people here take 2-3 years for an MSc. Good luck for your interviews though!

Actually if there's one good thing about the sparrow racing is it should introduce lag to the masses. I can't wait for the salty tears when they have to deal with teleporting sparrows and losing races to red bar warriors

Hopefully it will force Bungies hand to sort out Crucible

anx10us

Banned
Still looking for a HM Oryx run today, I will have no time tomorrow because... I'm literally defending my Master's. :lol

someone! anyone! I know I should be studying but shhhhhhhhhh

I have CP for HM Oryx, but I need about 45 minutes until I have the house nice and quiet ...

GMT 8:15 ?

psn aanx10uss 310 Hunter

Smiley90

I have CP for HM Oryx, but I need about 45 minutes until I have the house nice and quiet ...

GMT 8:15 ?

psn aanx10uss 310 Hunter

that means we need 4 more still ;)

I'll be running with a 313-ish Defender Titan with ToM

A year's worth of research is gonna cut it really close for a Master's - depends on the field of course, but that's REALLY short - especially given that you usually just spend the first 1-2 semesters learning techniques and not really doing your project yet. Unless you're doing something like theoretical physics, those are AFAIK the shortest ones. Just saying. :p Most people here take 2-3 years for an MSc. Good luck for your interviews though!
Thanks, but yeah it's fast since its apart of my masters program. Welp I guess it's 4 semesters, it's goes from spring, summer, fall and spring. Hopefully if things goes well.

anx10us

Banned
that means we need 4 more still ;)

I'll be running with a 313-ish Defender Titan with ToM

Lets get it done then, TOM ready to go, do you want to start a list ? we should easily get 4 more in 40 minutes ..

No idea what strategy you want to do, but as a suggestion

1. Don't bother with no Knight
2. Let the runner pick themselves
3. kill everything and win ;-)
4. get it done 1st time
5. if it starts going south, swap people around, maybe change the AD control people, or swap which plinth people are on ...
6. kill everything, every single time and win ...

The more I think about it, the more I'm disliking the idea of having events like this.

Festival of the Lost, and now Sparrow Racing-to get the most out of both events, you have to spend money. Sparrow Racing League is introducing some way to get rewards by filling up this little book you buy.

It's a slippery slope that Bungie has fallen through. And if every future event is going to have this bullshit, microtransactions to get the most out of the event, then that's not what alot of people were hoping for. That is something an F2P game does, and Destiny isn't F2P. It's just slimey. Sure you can argue 'Well these are optional events, you don't HAVE to do them', but the truth is that these are the only updates they're doing for the game so far. Yeah I don't have to do Sparrow Racing but then what? I'm supposed to wait 3 more months until they actually update the PvE of the game? Until they release something that isn't attached to microtransactions?

This is worse than Blizzard ever was with World of Warcraft. Yes, they sell mounts, but these mounts would be released alongside huge patches that had alot of game content not tied to microtransactions.

Ugh.

This is turning me sour on the future of Destiny. This is what I feared when I first heard about microtransactions, and Bungie is doing the worst possible job they can implementing them.

Deku Tree

The more I think about it, the more I'm disliking the idea of having events like this.

Festival of the Lost, and now Sparrow Racing-to get the most out of both events, you have to spend money. Sparrow Racing League is introducing some way to get rewards by filling up this little book you buy.

It's a slippery slope that Bungie has fallen through. And if every future event is going to have this bullshit, microtransactions to get the most out of the event, then that's not what alot of people were hoping for. That is something an F2P game does, and Destiny isn't F2P. It's just slimey. Sure you can argue 'Well these are optional events, you don't HAVE to do them', but the truth is that these are the only updates they're doing for the game so far. Yeah I don't have to do Sparrow Racing but then what? I'm supposed to wait 3 more months until they actually update the PvE of the game? Until they release something that isn't attached to microtransactions?

This is worse than Blizzard ever was with World of Warcraft. Yes, they sell mounts, but these mounts would be released alongside huge patches that had alot of game content not tied to microtransactions.

Ugh.

This is turning me sour on the future of Destiny. This is what I feared when I first heard about microtransactions, and Bungie is doing the worst possible job they can implementing them.

As far as we know, you can do as much sparrow racing as you want for free. The PSX build shows that you can get some exclusive rewards by having the $10 book... But we currently have no idea about the scope or content of those rewards vs. other regular rewards. WoW is a PC game with a subscription fee.

So far every MT in Destiny that we know about has been cosmetic and optional. No reason to jump the gun and assume SRL will not be that too.

If that is not the case, and it is P2W, then I will be just as upset as you.

Smiley90

Lets get it done then, TOM ready to go, do you want to start a list ? we should easily get 4 more in 40 minutes ..

No idea what strategy you want to do, but as a suggestion

1. Don't bother with no Knight
2. Let the runner pick themselves
3. kill everything and win ;-)
4. get it done 1st time
5. if it starts going south, swap people around, maybe change the AD control people, or swap which plinth people are on ...
6. kill everything, every single time and win ...

1) agree
2) agree
3) disagree!
4) disagree! :p
5) WE'LL DO THIS. as long as everyone knows which orb to run to and we have good timers and communication going lol
6) nah I like to keep a few ogres alive

... TL;DR

Anyone down for HM Oryx:

1. SmileyFM
2. aanx10uss

As far as we know, you can do as much sparrow racing as you want for free. The PSX build shows that you can get some exclusive rewards by having the $10 book... But we currently have no idea about the scope or content of those rewards vs. other regular rewards. WoW is a PC game with a subscription fee.

So far every MT in Destiny that we know about has been cosmetic and optional. No reason to jump the gun and assume SRL will not be that too.

If that is not the case, and it is P2W, then I will be just as upset as you.

Even if you get your '1 free sparrow and 1 free suit', it still feels wrong they lock the rest of them off. Instead of this being fun content where we can collect the rewards, you end up buying most of them. It leads to well..it leads to the line of thinking that gets Shaders and Emblems locked behind the Silver system. And some people will still defend it.

"Well you don't need that Sparrow/Shader or Racing suit/Emblem. It's cosmetic. It's alright if they lock it behind an MT."

It really isn't alright. It really, really isn't. This defense of 'Well it's only cosmetic!' Is so disgusting. It's a slippery slope that leads to locking content behind that should've been available to the players without paying.

"Hey we can have these unlockable sparrows for playing this event. Oooor we can only give out the charity sparrow to those poor bastards and lock the rest behind Microtransactions!"

It's disgusting. It leads to locking out content-That is what this is-in favor of having people pay for them.

Edit-I'm not trying to insult you Deku or your opinion, it's just that thinking about how Bungie is implementing the MTs disgusts me and makes me type out with a fury.

Disgusting !!

137593505136.jpg

Shiv47

I will try out the racing, of course, but there is no way I'm paying for any loot. I play Destiny to shoot aliens, not as a substitute for Wipeout or whatever.

FyreWulff

New content has to be funded somehow. Other MMOs make you pay a monthly subscription for your "free" new content. Destiny is putting cosmetics behind MTs, with no P2W, and you can still play the event without spending an additional dime.

This is preferable to the playerbase being split between map pack permutations, etc. Plus they can be more experimental, which was the point of not having to piggyback ride on a major release to come out. They even said in the vidoc that they're seeing if people like this racing thing, and if it doesn't work out they'll go try something else, but if people like it they'll come back to it. I'd prefer a Destiny with the freedom to be experimental between major expansion releases than one that loses features from the logistics of crunch.

The only problem I have right now with the cosmetic MTs is the random bag type MTs. I'd prefer everything just be directly purchaseable.

D_psipher

1) agree
2) agree
3) disagree!
5) WE'LL DO THIS. as long as everyone knows which orb to run to and we have good timers and communication going lol

... TL;DR

Anyone down for HM Oryx:

1. SmileyFM
2. aanx10uss

If you guys are still looking I need a Oryx kill as well. PSN is d-psipher.

Trakan

Ugh.

I kind of agree with what you're saying but it could be a lot worse. They could straight up sell exotics. For Festival of the Lost, I was able to get the only masks I wanted with no money spent.

It could definitely be done better though.

Ken

I think Breezy's point isn't to get rid of microtransactions but to not to create ones that make the "f2p" rewards feel compromised for the sake of having things to sell.

Instead of making paid gear and sparrows, the same stuff you use in the actual content, they could make race themed emotes, like champagne popping! Or something.

I have no problems with what's been shown in regards to events or micro transactions thus far.

Looks to be pretty close to the GW2 model, which is the best monetization model out imo.

GGWP Bungie. I get what you're layin' down and I'm not angry.

Ken

I have no problems with what's been shown in regards to events or micro transactions thus far.

Looks to be pretty close to the GW2 model, which is the best monetization model out imo.

GGWP Bungie. I get what you're layin' down and I'm not angry.

Doesn't GW2 sell gold and also better...dusting items or whatever? The thing that breaks down junk into useful junk.

I think Breezy's point isn't to get rid of microtransactions but to not to create ones that make the "f2p" rewards feel compromised for the sake of having things to sell.

Instead of making paid gear and sparrows, the same stuff you use in the actual content, they could make race themed emotes, like champagne popping! Or something.

Yeah.

Like, these events are fine, but having these events replace static PvE content, and then tying alot of microtransactions to these events falls ill with me. If they had released....if instead of buying the sparrows or whatever that loot book is, they had said "oh we're also going to release these 6 racing themed emotes!" that'd be great. Instead they're saying "Oh you get 1 free sparrow(If the precedent set by Festival of the Lost is continued) and have to buy the rest!" is....full F2P.

Breezy likes Emotes funding content. Breezy doesn't like tangible loot-IE a book that gives out loot or unique looking Sparrows-being hidden behind the MT's. I've been riding my TimeBreaker since like.....last year. And now if I want to earn different ones I need to pay for them? Fuck, man. No wonder Oryx doesn't drop a Sparrow..

GhaleonEB

Yeah.

Like, these events are fine, but having these events replace static PvE content, and then tying alot of microtransactions to these events falls ill with me. If they had released....if instead of buying the sparrows or whatever that loot book is, they had said "oh we're also going to release these 6 racing themed emotes!" that'd be great. Instead they're saying "Oh you get 1 free sparrow(If the precedent set by Festival of the Lost is continued) and have to buy the rest!" is....full F2P.

Breezy likes Emotes funding content. Breezy doesn't like tangible loot-IE a book that gives out loot or unique looking Sparrows-being hidden behind the MT's. I've been riding my TimeBreaker since like.....last year. And now if I want to earn different ones I need to pay for them? Fuck, man. No wonder Oryx doesn't drop a Sparrow..

I'm going to hold off on judgment until it's actually out and we see how things are working. But I am also not liking transactions tied to every event that pops up. I thought the MTX were going exist on the side (emotes, shaders, etc.), while a steady stream of content and events come from the live team funded by them. Instead, the MTX are tied directly into the events themselves. Themed emotes is fine, and I thought it was handled fine in FotL. But if (big if) that book purchase is in the event is accurate, then it's a disappointing direction. That's too intrusive on the game.

Hopefully this is much ado about nothing.

Smiley90

1) agree
2) agree
3) disagree!

... TL;DR

Anyone down for HM Oryx:

1. SmileyFM
2. aanx10uss
3. d-psipher

If you guys are still looking I need a Oryx kill as well. PSN is d-psipher.
added!

Deku Tree

Even if you get your '1 free sparrow and 1 free suit', it still feels wrong they lock the rest of them off. Instead of this being fun content where we can collect the rewards, you end up buying most of them. It leads to well..it leads to the line of thinking that gets Shaders and Emblems locked behind the Silver system. And some people will still defend it.

"Well you don't need that Sparrow/Shader or Racing suit/Emblem. It's cosmetic. It's alright if they lock it behind an MT."

It really isn't alright. It really, really isn't. This defense of 'Well it's only cosmetic!' Is so disgusting. It's a slippery slope that leads to locking content behind that should've been available to the players without paying.

"Hey we can have these unlockable sparrows for playing this event. Oooor we can only give out the charity sparrow to those poor bastards and lock the rest behind Microtransactions!"

It's disgusting. It leads to locking out content-That is what this is-in favor of having people pay for them.

Edit-I'm not trying to insult you Deku or your opinion, it's just that thinking about how Bungie is implementing the MTs disgusts me and makes me type out with a fury.

I feel like I got my money's worth and then a lot more for the $40 I spent on TTK.

This stuff is additional, and I don't feel like my $40 that I spent on TTK and the $90 that I spend on The digital guardian edition of Destiny entitles me to completely free add on content for all of year 2.

New content needs to be paid for and it needs to be profitable to continue. This method that Bungie is using now lets people try out experimental content "for free" and pay for what they want. If all the loot or 90% of it or most of it is locked behind MTs I'll be right there with you complaining next week. As I remember it I was the first or second person to notice and post in long details about the vol. 1 SRL book for $10 and to wonder what rewards were locked behind that...

...Right now my biggest complaint is that they let us find out these half story details without being open and up front and transparent about the whole story. We have to wait until the patch drops, and until it's datamined, and people play it for us to figure out how good or bad SRL is in terms of both gameplay and MTs and loot etc...

Edit:

Yeah.

All the new sparrows have identical stats and they only vary based upon how they look. Of the FotL model continues, then you will get to try out all the sparrows if you want to grind for them and you will be able to keep exactly two of them. Then it looks like there could be exactly one really cool looking sparrow that can only be obtained by very good luck at the beginning or by buying enough Sparrow packs from Tess to get it via RNG.

I'm going to hold off on judgment until it's actually out and we see how things are working. But I am also not liking transactions tied to every event that pops up. I thought the MTX were going exist on the side (emotes, shaders, etc.), while a steady stream of content and events come from the live team funded by them. Instead, the MTX are tied directly into the events themselves. Themed emotes is fine, and I thought it was handled fine in FotL. But if (big if) that book purchase is in the event is accurate, then it's a disappointing direction. That's too intrusive on the game.

Hopefully this is much ado about nothing.

Yeah like....give me Racing themed inspired Shaders. Shaders that have the Jade Rabbit Logo so I can rep Jade Rabbit or Hakke or whatever. Give me dance emotes like they're adding to the SRL. Maybe Emblems for repping the fake sparrow racing leagues. That kind of stuff is purely cosmetic.

Sparrows however? There's only 2 sparrows worth driving, the Crota one and the Atheon one. (I'm not counting the promotional ones). You're telling me if I want a different Sparrow, and these Sparrows do look cool with the lightning rebounding off them or the ones with fire on the side, I need to buy them? It's like...no thanks.

I'm wondering if it's like the FotL where the blue rarity Sparrows will 'break' after the leagues over, or whether they're just not as good as the purple rarity sparrows. And it is a wait and see for that book they're selling...:l It's extremely intrusive.

I know I'm ranting right now, like I've done in the past about Bungie, but it's like, they're so close to making it great. It's 1 steps forward 2 steps back all over again though.

Actually if there's one good thing about the sparrow racing is it should introduce lag to the masses. I can't wait for the salty tears when they have to deal with teleporting sparrows and losing races to red bar warriors

Hopefully it will force Bungies hand to sort out Crucible

You know that is never going to hapen.
BUt, it's more than likely that more players will initialy join this event than any PvP or other end game content. So there is hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom