• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrS

Banned
Tons of people actually. There are people who bought every single emote. Those people.

You should be glad though since it supposedly benefits all of us in some way. Bungie works in mysterious ways.
It's too early to say if that's going to be the case. If we don't have a new raid/decent new content (Festival of the Lost is not decent new content) by September then it will be false.

flkraven

Yeah, it's pretty damn fun and completely underrated.

It's apparent that these events are just engines for microtransactions. It's actually a bit sad what Year 2 is looking to become.

FML. This is what I've been saying for weeks. All signs point to Bungie doing nothing substantial with the game until next year with the next TTK or Destiny 2. This fucking sucks. Every piece of additional content recently has been centered around microtransactions or making an additional purchase, so it seems we can expect more of the same.

shingi70

Banned
It makes me wonder could a lackluster year two I.pact the sales of Destiny 2.

I'd much rather buy $20-$30 DLC content than whatever the live steam is doing. Vex void and Forge of the Gods sounded so cool and probably is being out into the sequel.

Shiv47

A friend of mine just got a PS4 and TTK on Black Friday, and once I've played through stuff with him, and finish what I need for the platinum trophy, I'm probably done with the game as a regular thing until Destiny 2. The mini events and whatnot just aren't that compelling. Iron Banner will be fun once in a while, I'm not bothering with Trials, and it remains to be seen whether the racing is any good.

lt519

It's apparent that these events are just engines for microtransactions. It's actually a bit sad what Year 2 is looking to become.

I'm more disappointed than I should be. Destiny was my go to game last year between everything else and is what always brought me and my online buddies back together to play. They made a lot of improvements with TTK but in the process destroyed the end game. Nightfalls are all but pointless. Weeklies are even more useless. Trials is way above my skill level. The raid is to strict to have any fun in it, it's too systematic at this point. Iron Banner is probably the only thing that'll bring me back beyond next week just to play the PvP for shits and giggles.

Desperately hoping part of the live teams job is to retool the Y1 raids.

E92 M3

FML. This is what I've been saying for weeks. All signs point to Bungie doing nothing substantial with the game until next year with the next TTK or Destiny 2. This fucking sucks. Every piece of additional content recently has been centered around microtransactions or making an additional purchase, so it seems we can expect more of the same.

It would be an even bigger punch in the gut if we can't bring our cosmetic gains over to the next big expansion.

I'm more disappointed than I should be. Destiny was my go to game last year between everything else and is what always brought me and my online buddies back together to play. They made a lot of improvements with TTK but in the process destroyed the end game. Nightfalls are all but pointless. Weeklies are even more useless. Trials is way above my skill level. The raid is to strict to have any fun in it, it's too systematic at this point. Iron Banner is probably the only thing that'll bring me back beyond next week just to play the PvP for shits and giggles.

I feel you, but in a way I am a bit happy because I can play other games without worry of missing out too much.

phen0m24

In case you guys didn't know there is a new PSN Messages app out now that is supposedly much smoother and easier than the PSN app.

Just fyi

Yes, I agree, but let's not have rose-tinted glasses when it came to Year 1.

Queen's Wrath was a complete joke of an event, that at least gave guaranteed legendaries until Bungie nerfed that into the ground.

The Dark Below brought re-Xurbishing, no way to level up our existing guns, a brief story mode that was almost all going backwards through existing maps, a raid that was cheesed to death by week 2, and then was the most bullshit thing ever at the end of it with hard mode. The raid exotic was complete garbage. People feel better about Crota's End these days, but let's not forget how much we hated it at the time.

House Of Wolves was better, but had no raid and had only 4 weeks of Prison of Elders, which quickly lost its appeal. The original Skolas fight was the worst thing Bungie had shipped with burns that made it awful and then the entire time the fight had the worst rewards of any activity. And the one PvE event (Queen's Wrath) instead of coming back as a repeating event for everyone got turned into paid DLC. They also introduced sidearms with only one model. And we went the entire expansion, centered on the Reef and the Queen, without actually even seeing the Queen.

People want more substantial content, myself included. But let's not kid ourselves that the stuff that got shipped Year 1 was only good in comparison with vanilla. It wasn't up to our standards or Bungie's.

Let's also not forget that with no live team, we also had to wait:
  • 5 months for Heavy weapons glitch to be fixed (Hell, they didn't even deign to have Xur sell heavy ammo while they fixed it. They ignored it and ignored it until the subreddit complained every day.)
  • 8 months for the Crucible's Thorn problem to be fixed
  • 4 months for the drop rate on Crux's white gun to be fixed
  • etc.

I can't fathom why Bungie didn't think they'd need a live team on their MMO-lite shooter. I can't fathom why Bungie wouldn't give resources to supporting a game in between expansions with at least bug patches.

Year 1 may not have had microtransactions, but it was trying in its own way.

Deku Tree

CVtevUBXIAAmnUS.jpg

So close, and yet so far...

flkraven

Watching people on reddit justify the $10 sparrow pack for a guaranteed helmet and class item are hilarious.

'It's only 3 light, so it's okay'

I mean, when will it end? This could very well be the beginning of the end as Destiny moves to a free-to-play model (with a retail purchase), and in just a month we've gone pretty fucking far down this slippery slope. Next up, selling raid gear with a low light level? Y2 exotics?

lt519

I feel you, but in a way I am a bit happy because I can play other games without worry of missing out too much.

Yeah I've played through Fallout 4, Undertake, and 90% of Divinity Original Sin since Thanksgiving. I actually may need a break in gaming in general. Or at least hit up some more bite sized games.

E92 M3

Yes, I agree, but let's not have rose-tinted glasses when it came to Year 1.

Queen's Wrath was a complete joke of an event, that at least gave guaranteed legendaries until Bungie nerfed that into the ground.

The Dark Below brought re-Xurbishing, no way to level up our existing guns, a brief story mode that was almost all going backwards through existing maps, a raid that was cheesed to death by week 2, and then was the most bullshit thing ever at the end of it with hard mode. The raid exotic was complete garbage. People feel better about Crota's End these days, but let's not forget how much we hated it at the time.

House Of Wolves was better, but had no raid and had only 4 weeks of Prison of Elders, which quickly lost its appeal. The original Skolas fight was the worst thing Bungie had shipped with burns that made it awful and then the entire time the fight had the worst rewards of any activity. And the one PvE event (Queen's Wrath) instead of coming back as a repeating event for everyone got turned into paid DLC. They also introduced sidearms with only one model. And we went the entire expansion, centered on the Reef and the Queen, without actually even seeing the Queen.

People want more substantial content, myself included. But let's not kid ourselves that the stuff that got shipped Year 1 was only good in comparison with vanilla. It wasn't up to our standards or Bungie's.

Let's also not forget that with no live team, we also had to wait:
  • 5 months for Heavy weapons glitch to be fixed (Hell, they didn't even deign to have Xur sell heavy ammo while they fixed it. They ignored it and ignored it until the subreddit complained every day.)
  • 8 months for the Crucible's Thorn problem to be fixed
  • 4 months for the drop rate on Crux's white gun to be fixed
  • etc.

I can't fathom why Bungie didn't think they'd need a live team on their MMO-lite shooter. I can't fathom why Bungie wouldn't give resources to supporting a game in between expansions with at least bug patches.

Year 1 may not have had microtransactions, but it was trying in its own way.

Yes, Year 1 had problems, but HoW introduced the best end-game that we had yet. Etheric light allowed all gear and raids to be relevant. It was a beautiful and elegant solution by Bungie.

I'd love to know whats really going on, as from my view it looks like they're utterly clueless. A rudderless ship fronted by Deej, truly the stuff of nightmares

Btw there buzzword for events are "Community Lightning Rods"
Majority of the team (I'd wager basically a whole studio except for Live Team) is on Destiny 2 headed by Jason & co.
Big bet on their part to have TTK+community carry the whole IP until 2 comes out, we'll see how it'll play out. TTK was good, but I don't think it'll sustain itself for a whole year.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Watching people on reddit justify the $10 sparrow pack for a guaranteed helmet and class item are hilarious.

'It's only 3 light, so it's okay'

I mean, when will it end? This could very well be the beginning of the end as Destiny moves to a free-to-play model (with a retail purchase), and in just a month we've gone pretty fucking far down this slippery slope. Next up, selling raid gear with a low light level? Y2 exotics?

The Destiny community is all about the fear of missing out. I'm guilty of this as well. I bought in to the Festival of the Lost stuff. I haven't used a mask since. I'm not buying the book. I can't even get the new Trials shaders to drop playing the game. I am Rank 35+ in DO and still don't have the last shader or emblem. Nah, I'm not buying in when for stuff when I can't even get the things I want from the proper game.

Edit: It's cynical to say this, but Bungie helps cultivate this mentality with time gated exotic quests, emotes going away after X time, and having timed events.

Majority of the team (I'd wager basically a whole studio except for Live Team) is on Destiny 2 headed by Jason & co.
Big bet on their part to have TTK+community carry the whole IP until 2 comes out, we'll see how it'll play out. TTK was good, but I don't think it'll sustain itself for a whole year.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think it could if we got a balance patch more than once every 4 months...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

plenty of content in the game. bungie just needs to make it all relevant again. been through MMOs with larger content dryspells (talking years) but there was so much there on top of the holiday events and that made it worth coming back to.

make all the content relevant with difficulties at 300 and 320 light, and then update all the old gear. that's at least 3 more months added to the game.

E92 M3

plenty of content in the game. bungie just needs to make it all relevant again. been through MMOs with larger content dryspells (talking years) but there was so much there on top of the holiday events and that made it worth coming back to.

make all the content relevant with difficulties at 300 and 320 light, and then update all the old gear. that's at least 3 more months added to the game.

Exactly! We have so many strikes that are not used anymore. They could easily be thrown into the playlist.

flkraven

The Destiny community is all about the fear of missing out. I'm guilty of this as well. I bought in to the Festival of the Lost stuff. I haven't used a mask since. I'm not buying the book. I can't even get the new Trials shaders to drop playing the game. I am Rank 35+ in DO and still don't have the last shader or emblem. Nah, I'm not buying in when for stuff when I can't even get the things I want from the proper game.

Edit: It's cynical to say this, but Bungie helps cultivate this mentality with time gated exotic quests, emotes going away after X time, and having timed events.

It's been said here many times, but Bungie encourages hoarding and over doing things since they stay quiet about things then suddenly add things, remove things, or change something's value. Those that deleted a bunch of wormspore feel silly now. I know I felt silly burning all my weapon parts in HoW only to get the drop rate nerfed a few months later. Thank god they fixed that one though.

Trakan

The difference is Destiny isn't an MMO and has nowhere near the amount of content. Making old raids relevant doesn't do anything for me personally, I don't see it adding 3 months to the game.

E92 M3

New emotes are trash. Sticking with my Fall 2015 grieve, golf clap, cheer, and zombie dance.

Thumbs Down is a must buy for me, but otherwise I am sticking with the old ones.

It's been said here many times, but Bungie encourages hoarding and over doing things since they stay quiet about things then suddenly add things, remove things, or change something's value. Those that deleted a bunch of wormspore feel silly now. I know I felt silly burning all my weapon parts in HoW only to get the drop rate nerfed a few months later. Thank god they fixed that one though.

Yep, been hoarding since day 1 and have been benefiting from it. NEED MORE VAULT SPACE

It's a sorry state of affairs when I found myself missing Phogoth last night.

I play the old strikes here and there - even had a lot of fun with Omnigul!

darthbob

A few people on here already said they would.

There's a shader and emblem. They're going to make bank again.

Edit: And for the record, people can do whatever they want with their money, that's fine. Personally, I'd rather buy small chunks of new content then just cosmetic stuff for "events"

Agreed, and I understand that people will buy it. I personally don't see the value in purchasing it, but I also purchased a whole bunch of emotes and shit and there's barely any value in those either.

I guess my only problem with it is that it's $10 for the book and what if SRL never comes back? Well, you'll at least have those fond memories I suppose.

Number45

I might very well buy the book. 5800 silver up on PSN for the low, low price of £40.

Destiny is actually saving me a HUGE amount of money so I'm tempted

Thumbs Down is a must buy for me, but otherwise I am sticking with the old ones.
Thumbs Up/Down really does beg for customisable emote equips. :(

This is all true. This is why I pretty much just play PvP and Strikes for the co-op and log off. The rest of the stuff is just a waste of time at this point. Why bother grinding to 320 when there is no future content that makes being that high a light matter? It's completely negligible in ToO and IB as well.

Also as you said the weekly stuff is mostly pointless with no rep buffs. That said I still love the way the game plays so I'll be playing PvP off and on until Destiny 2.

Deku Tree

So CM Oryx is gonna be different runner every time IMO. If you only have two titans then the one running weapons is gonna have to be the fifth runner if someone misses a bomb.

LTWood12

So CM Oryx is gonna be different runner every time IMO. If you only have two titans then the one running weapons is gonna have to be the fifth runner if someone misses a bomb.

Yep pretty much. I'm of the mind that you'll want your 'weakest' runner to go first so there's less pressure on them. Wiping at the start is a lot less frustrating than getting to the end and having to rely on someone who hasn't filled that roll very often. Someone like, well, me.

The difference is Destiny isn't an MMO and has nowhere near the amount of content. Making old raids relevant doesn't do anything for me personally, I don't see it adding 3 months to the game.

Ehhh... Yes and no.

If you made a list of everything in this game that currently has little to no purpose/use, you'd find yourself with a larger list than you'd expect.

We have 5 strikes that aren't in use at all.
We have 2 raids.
We have 1 Arena (with 6 major variations).
We have 3 PvP maps that are highly underused.
We have X exotics weapons/armor that don't have Year 2 versions.

On top of all that, we have a new PvP Gametype in the code of the game that hasn't been officially commented on yet called Armament.

If the Strikes, Raids, and Arena would all be tuned up, they could easily hold me over until year 3.

Wait - there's lewd games on the Vita???

Does anyone have a list of all the exotics being dropped in today? How many actual new ones? I have some engrams saved up.

Only heard of the returning ones
Mida
Nlb
Dragons breath
Sga

Nothing mantacles
Dance boots
Bones of eao
A symbiote

3 new armors

Dont know if any new weopons

Still waiting on that microphone rocket launcher

Gonna need that guide how to party chat via remote play...lol
No longer needed. It doesn't try to find the best wifi signal anymore, so it doesn't boot you out of the party anymore either. Both good and bad.

Party chat with remote play still doesn't work right on the PSTV though. I can be in a party on the Vita and remote play, and both audios will be fine, but if I do it on PSTV, the game audio is all distorted. That's why I party up on the Vita and play on the PSTV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom