• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really find it odd that these new racing sparrows, as cool as they look, are slower and worse at racing than any regular sparrow upgraded to legendary. I want to use my new sparrow...but I'd like to win too.

IDK I was consistently placing 2-4 last night with my S-34. Then when i got the EV-42 I won 90% of the races I completed last night.

What is this book glitch I keep hearing about. Does it make it worthless to have the book?

Strider

I would love to build out ideal sets of gear, INT/STR for my Defender, INT/DISC for my Sunbreaker/Striker, Scout/Sniper perks for Raiding, Scout/Shotgun for No Back Up Plans in the Crucible, etc.

But drop rates are so low that it doesn't feel worth it. It's the familiar Year 1 experience all over. I want to play more, but the game pushes me away.

Man, Bungie's whole talk about shortening the vertical power climb and allowing us to work on horizontal progression turned out to be completely backwards. The vertical power climb is infinite and if you want to go horizontally, it requires going down vertically.

Year 2 end game is just a complete mess.

This post
goodjob.gif

Nailed it.

I just wanna hit end game then make a bunch of different builds like I do in D3... That's it. Every time I play I wanna feel like I'm playing a different style. Instead... In order to do end game activities I'm forced to run the same gear and weapons each time. Sucks.

The investment team has clearly been prioritzing a grind to stretch the content as far as possible. Why? Because I think that they correctly realize most people are chasing 320, rather than optimizers like me. But they're partly at fault here because their design decisions are telling players that's what matters.

The new light system is a mistake and not only does it not change the progression depends on RNG of year 1, it doubles down on it.

E92 M3

The investment team has clearly been prioritzing a grind to stretch the content as far as possible. Why? Because I think that they correctly realize most people are chasing 320, rather than optimizers rather than me. But they're partly at fault here because their design decisions are telling players that's what matters.

I think everyone was very happy that in HoW customized loadouts were very prominent.

Afrocious

Tried the MIDA for the first time ever yesterday. It's like a Tlaloc without the bullshit of waiting for your super and only being for Warlocks.

Deku Tree

I would love to build out ideal sets of gear, INT/STR for my Defender, INT/DISC for my Sunbreaker/Striker, Scout/Sniper perks for Raiding, Scout/Shotgun for No Back Up Plans in the Crucible, etc.

But drop rates are so low that it doesn't feel worth it. It's the familiar Year 1 experience all over. I want to play more, but the game pushes me away.

tumblr_mal31bp8gh1rnjyuy-38913e1d6a7b94cb0f55994f679f5956.gif

Man, Luke's whole talk about shortening the vertical power climb and allowing us to work on horizontal progression turned out to be completely backwards. The vertical power climb is infinite and if you want to go horizontally, it requires going down vertically.

Year 2 end game is just a complete mess.

To be fair it you are fully over LL for every single thing in the game except HM Oryx when your 300+.

So you could keep one set of Max LL gear for HM Oryx, and then optimize your different builds using stuff that drops from playing the game and using infusion as long as you don't stress too much about being better than 300+.

TBH as I said being over 300+ doesn't really matter at all to do anything other than HM KF.

The investment team has clearly been prioritzing a grind to stretch the content as far as possible. Why? Because I think that they correctly realize most people are chasing 320, rather than optimizers like me. But they're partly at fault here because their design decisions are telling players that's what matters.

The new light system is a mistake and not only does it not change the progression depends on RNG of year 1, it doubles down on it.

TESTIFY! John, you are much more eloquent than I at expressing my concerns with the game. Thank you.

Tried the MIDA for the first time ever yesterday. It's like a Tlaloc without the bullshit of waiting for your super and only being for Warlocks.

I want to finish sparrow stuff tonight, but I could be down for some skirmish-ishshshshshs later tonight.

Afrocious

TESTIFY! John, you are much more eloquent than I at expressing my concerns with the game. Thank you.

I want to finish sparrow stuff tonight, but I could be down for some skirmish-ishshshshshs later tonight.

Cool. I don't get it. I do well in 6v6 games for the most part, but in 3v3, I can't carry for shit.

Cool. I don't get it. I do well in 6v6 games for the most part, but in 3v3, I can't carry for shit.

6v6 is chaotic. It's a bit easier to find unaware opponents and get the flank on them.

3v3 is more competitive. You face more teams that play together and communicate. You're a good player Afro-san. You're too hard on yourself. Stop being such a Vegeta. Is that the right reference? I watched DBZ a long time ago. :p

Raven117

This right here. (except that I really enjoyed the vertical progression up until about 295 or so...and they designed it that way).

Often, people say "why is Bungie doing this? Bungie is stupid...etc..." But I, respectfully, disagree. They know what they are doing and trying to accomplish, yet must gauge where the community is to try and find that line of what the community will put up with.

I think they overstepped here a bit in what the community will put up with.

Its just too much chance for an end game piece of armor to drop to be what you need.
(1) Is it a piece of armor at all (May drop, may not)
(2) It it a piece you need?(gauntlet, boots, chest...etc)
(3) Is it a higher light level than what you have equipped?
(4) Does it have perks you want for your build? (Infusion can augment this a bit...but not always)

That's 4 things that need to happen for you to use ONE piece of armor...and often, nothing drops at all...so...Its just too oppressive to try and min/max that.

Add that up with a raid that, while good, can be excruciatingly irritating in its exacting nature....and you have something that does not equal fun.

Ken

I really find it odd that these new racing sparrows, as cool as they look, are slower and worse at racing than any regular sparrow upgraded to legendary. I want to use my new sparrow...but I'd like to win too.

I got my S License and I'm at like 60-70% wins out of 50 races using only a new Sparrow. Shrug.

Taking corners and knowing how to side boost is probably more important to winning than your Sparrow choice.

Thanks for all the kind words, y'all.

To be fair it you are fully over LL for every single thing in the game except HM Oryx when your 300+.

So you could keep one set of Max LL gear for HM Oryx, and then optimize your different builds using stuff that drops from playing the game and using infusion as long as you don't stress too much about being better than 300+.

TBH as I said being over 300+ doesn't really matter at all to do anything other than HM KF.

I'm not even stressing about infusing. Setting aside that drop rates are waaaaay too low to even contemplate infusing everything up to the same level, but there are three things here:

Drop rates are too low and too random meaningfully allow me to optimize. Iron Banner and Trials of Osiris both gave me DISC/STR helmets, which I hate. I want INT/DISC or INT/STR. Both of those events have the perk I want "Angel of Light" and both of them only have the helmet available for a limited time. Even outside of that, when was the last time you got a legendary weapon drop? Or some boots when that's what you need? I'm missing like 8 pieces of armor that I need to really build some kits, so it's not an issue of me wanting something incredibly specific at a high light level. Beyond that, I actually care about how I look. I hate my Hesperos helm. I don't feel like a Titan with it on, but it's the only INT/DISC, Better already helmet I've gotten since TTK launch. I just want drops. I want some gloves with pulse rifle loader, I want them with sniper loader, I want them with scout loader. I want to experiment. Which brings me to my next point.

Leveling of gear discourages experimentation, especially with the absurdly high XP requirements for armor. How do I know which I'll like better, sniper loader or scout rifle loader? Provided I can even get both, it takes 10x more XP to level up even a purple armor piece than a weapon. And weapons get telemetries. It's ridiculous. I'm actually out of armor parts right now because I keep trying new gear and spending glass needles to re-roll my exotics. AND I CAN'T BUY MORE. C'mon, Bungie.

Finally, going down in level feels bad. Before, it was "hit max level once, do whatever you want." Now, it's a constant juggling act between what do I want to do, what gear can I swap out without taking the biggest hits, etc. And while I feel big and mighty as a 315 Hard Raider, going down to 295 to play Crucible doesn't feel like progression. It feels like a demotion. I'm not saying it is, I'm saying it "feels" like one.

I got my S License and I'm at like 30-50 win/loss using only a new Sparrow. Shrug.
Sure, it's possible to win on the new, because player skill is involved, but the swiftriver and the year 1 sparrow (and I think all the legendary upgrades) have the same top speed, and higher boost.

Or do the stats on a sparrow actually mean nothing? It certainly feels like its easier on my swiftriver...

Lnkn52

I've had terrible luck when in first.

The Mars map has a section near the end where there is a pillar right in the middle, I hate it. But I also have won races where 1st place would wipe out on random stuff right at the end too, so you live by the sword, you die by one.

Ken

Sure, it's possible to win on the new, because player skill is involved, but the swiftriver and the year 1 sparrow (and I think all the legendary upgrades) have the same top speed, and higher boost.

Or do the stats on a sparrow actually mean nothing? It certainly feels like its easier on my swiftriver...

I feel like that'll take more testing than anyone cares to do for SRL lol.

Are you talking about legendary upgrades from Xur? Cause I've never bought any of those so I don't know how or what they boost.

Namikaze1

Alright, just need rabbit gloves to have a matching set. Sucks that only the legendary versions (with the excpetion of the vendor gear) are the only versions that changes color scheme when a shader is applied.

Afrocious

6v6 is chaotic. It's a bit easier to find unaware opponents and get the flank on them.

3v3 is more competitive. You face more teams that play together and communicate. You're a good player Afro-san. You're too hard on yourself. Stop being such a Vegeta. Is that the right reference? I watched DBZ a long time ago. :p

Less people to distract the enemy team. They can also focus on you if they know you are the "guy".

Haha. With me, if I see someone do better than me, I may feel good about what victories I have, but I will want to get good as or better than that other player. This is why I don't get carried. I resent them because it's like saying to me "Oh, you can't get to Mercury yourself?" The only time I ever was carried was when I returned to Destiny the week before TTK dropped and that was because Figs looked out for me and got me to the highest light level, so she got Wicked and Rubenov.

Since then, I haven't played with either of those two in PvP because I'm above being carried. For folks who want it? Sure, go right on ahead. I'd much rather be the person who gets asked for carries than the person asking for carries.

I'm decent at Destiny's PvP, but I could be better.

As for 3v3, I think I could have better map and situational awareness. So far, I hang back, but that doesn't help out as much when playing with randoms.

LordofPwn

so what's the reasoning for not being able to infuse the racing gear besides helm and class item?

Also hi! it's been awhile, you may remember me from being that one guy

I didn't notice much of a difference in my go-to Nirwen's Mercy when playing in the Crucible, but I did see that Jade Rabbit is kind of a beast now. I don't usually play well with scout rifles, but I did really well last night. I have a couple of other scout rifles that I want to try out, mostly Boolean Gemini, but I prefer the look of Jade Rabbit.

I had some issues with Eirene, but I think that was mostly because I got used to using Her Benevolence with my Warlock. After a few matches, I started getting my groove back.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
What rank are you?

I haven't seen a shader drop either. I hope it's not tied to having purchased a book cause I don't want to buy it.

In the time it took me to reach rank 1 yesterday I've had 5 shaders drop..........

Ken

So is the only way to get the new legendary sparrows to buy them outside of the two you get from quests?

And any other instance you can get a free Sparrow toolkit which I believe includes Nightfall and the free ones from S License quest and maybe the PS+ exclusive quest too.

I don't know the rank up rewards at 3+ so maybe there will be another Sparrow toolkit there but it'll probably be more useless racers toolkits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom