• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
So this does happen

CV4tukvUAAAs7H6.jpg

Wonder if he has an S license, or high rank?
Soooo good.

Iceman829

Will do. You guys can just run it with me! :)

Who are you raiding with now? Seems VFI has pretty much disbanded.

Me, Defyler and misterthirsty have been raiding together for awhile now. We just subbed out the people who quit and moved on or prefer to start earlier. Kelson started playing again, so he joined up and being west coast our late start doesn't hurt him. The last 2 have been a rotating group of dmh, truelize, my friend monkey, and just about anyone who is alive and needs a raid at that point. Last week we LFGed for the warpriest challenge. Just couldn't find a 6th and my friend stayed on his only character for all 3 runs to help out. I used the 100 group to kill oryx x3 over the weekend. I got lucky where most of the groups just wanted a relic runner so I jumped counter clockwise for a few hours to get 3 kills. Had a few lag issues, but everyone was friendly and had a good time from that site that I played with.

just saw that was directed at mr. panic

Are you guys still leaving the knights alive? And that is a christmas miracle. But don't you mean Thirsty?

Murder death kill everything. I swear runs seem to go better when someone misses an orb on the first phase. It takes all the be perfect pressure off the run.

If we're going by shortcut=alternate path that involves missing a gate, then Venus has 2, Mars has 1.

I think.

Yup.

There is a way to get the mars shortcut while getting the gate next to it(Risky if you're near other racers/you can't nail it.)

For Venus, going down the river, you can nail the gate and hit the shortcut(Missing only 1 gate) but it's risky too.

What are the requirements for an s-license?

3 races without destruction, winning 1st place in 3 races.

Deku Tree

It's part of Holliday's quest. You do stuff to get a C license, then a B, A, and finally S.

S is win 3 races and complete 3 races without dying.

Thx. I won my first race earlier. Still working on my A license. I'm only rank 1 so far lol. Missed the first few days of racing.

WipedOut

Me, Defyler and misterthirsty have been raiding together for awhile now. We just subbed out the people who quit and moved on or prefer to start earlier. Kelson started playing again, so he joined up and being west coast our late start doesn't hurt him. The last 2 have been a rotating group of dmh, truelize, my friend monkey, and just about anyone who is alive and needs a raid at that point. Last week we LFGed for the warpriest challenge. Just couldn't find a 6th and my friend stayed on his only character for all 3 runs to help out. I used the 100 group to kill oryx x3 over the weekend. I got lucky where most of the groups just wanted a relic runner so I jumped counter clockwise for a few hours to get 3 kills. Had a few lag issues, but everyone was friendly and had a good time from that site that I played with.

just saw that was directed at mr. panic

Murder death kill everything. I swear runs seem to go better when someone misses an orb on the first phase. It takes all the be perfect pressure off the run.

exactly, no need to be perfect, if you miss a bomb it's not the end of the world. Killing everything is the way to go, or as the fight is intended.

Yup.

There is a way to get the mars shortcut while getting the gate next to it(Risky if you're near other racers/you can't nail it.)

For Venus, going down the river, you can nail the gate and hit the shortcut(Missing only 1 gate) but it's risky too.

Yeah, in both situations you have to approach from a specific angle and then side-boost to actually get up the ramps. Definitely something you don't do with other racers nearby, but something that you should do if you can if you're in the lead with a good distance.

Also, the issue with the shortcuts is that if you miss a gate, your max speed goes down. Your little speedometer has 5 little giblets, you start off with 3(Hitting a gate or the start line gives you 1 giblet, missing a gate makes you lose 1). Like, it literally goes down. So any advantage gained from the shortcut is nullified because missing a gate is...bad.

We need more race tracks.
So this does happen

CV4tukvUAAAs7H6.jpg

Wonder if he has an S license, or high rank?
I've gotten helmets as high as 305.
Also, the issue with the shortcuts is that if you miss a gate, your max speed goes down. Your little speedometer has 5 little giblets, you start off with 3(Hitting a gate or the start line gives you 1 giblet, missing a gate makes you lose 1). Like, it literally goes down. So any advantage gained from the shortcut is nullified because missing a gate is...bad.
It depends. Shortcuts still give you a nice lead if you can afford missing a boost. Shortcuts also have a nice path to drive through instead of slowing down for wild turns.

Ken

I think the Venus shortcut depends on if you can take the corner safely coming right off a gate. Might be worth it for safety if you can't.

Same with the Mars "shortcut" especially on lap 1 if you want to avoid congestion. It's also pretty hard to hug the inner corner going through the gates, not that you'd want to since you want to also set yourself up to grab the 2 gates before the Cabal dropship.

Probably the biggest position killer is the wonky collision physics more than anything, IMO.

WipedOut

So being in the top 3 in an SRL race counts as a crucible win for the exotic class item faction quest.
Just completing the race counts. Just need to have the shader, class item and emblem on. Did New Monarchy last night, now I need to go kill people in crucible.

Today's update shouldn't be about patch numbers and %s. That's not the real problem. The problem is trust.

I would argue that the community doesn't trust Bungie at all anymore. Look at the subreddit. Does anyone believe Bungie anymore when they claim something is a bug? It goes back to the Atheon teleporting and the Collector's Edition ship was identical to one of the blueprint ships. Things that may be "bugs", but really strain the bounds of credibility. Then you've had their absolute silence for many of the Year 1 player problems like #Forever29. Then Crota's End cheeses getting fixed immediately, but player problems only getting fixed when its convenient. Heavy Ammo glitches taking 5 months to fix and clearly only a priority because the community wouldn't let it go. Recently you've had the $20 Collector's Edition debacle and Luke Smith's "throw money at the screen" comments. Things that wouldn't have been storms with a community that had any trust in the developer. But instead, we read the worst into both. Then you've got DeeJ who regularly seems to dismiss player concerns or just be unnecessarily glib. "My boss has 1657 weapon parts, so better act quick" is the recent example.

I think the natural state of the community in Destiny is salt, and mostly because Bungie has communicated poorly and set its priorities in ways that can be construed as player hostile. There are definite highs, but gravity drags it back down to salt.

Look at some of the posts even in DGAF yesterday when the shit was hitting the fan. People are primed to believe the absolute worst. To be clear, I don't believe Bungie is nefarious or evil. But they have their own priorities and they don't align with players quite often. And worse, they don't contextualize that.

The Bungie communication pattern is PR, silence, damage control, repeat. No part of that is player friendly. Because it often feels like Bungie's top priority for Destiny isn't the players, isn't the game, but Bungie itself. That's how these free events are being taken by people.

It doesn't have to be that way. Not every game is like this. Diablo isn't. Starcraft isn't. The community has come to a place

It won't happen. It can't happen. But I would love to see today's weekly update be about trying to de-salt the community. To reassert Bungie's love of and respect for the community. Have the Patch #'s discussed in a separate post. A little fireside chat with DeeJ, Cosmo and Urk.

tl;dr: Bungie should take a long view in damage control for once and address that the community has a lot of salt. Salt that's been building since Year one.

Not true.

I mean, it feels like that's the case, but I've passed a lot of people while missing 1 or 2 gates pretty often now to realize that missing the gates aren't as big a deal as you would think.

I've moved from 4th to 1st taking the shortcut on Mars and missing two gates.

I've moved from 3rd to 1st taking both shortcuts on Venus.

Ken

Not true.

I mean, it feels like that's the case, but I've passed a lot of people while missing 1 or 2 gates pretty often know to realize that missing the gates aren't as big a deal as you would think.

I've moved from 4th to 1st taking the shortcut on Mars and missing two gates.

I've moved from 3rd to 1st taking both shortcuts on Venus.

I think you immediately return to max speed anyways on the next gate hit, no?

I believe there's flavor text on one of the items that even suggests that missing gates can be advantageous.

"A wise Guardians knows when to hit gates.. and when to miss them" or something along those lines.

Nah, you only gain 1 giblet in your speedometer.

~~

So I got 9 strange coins from the mail(mysterious benefactor) for no reason today. I thought it was related to Sparrow Racing, but I logged on to my character who I haven't raced with yet.

Uhh. Hm.

agreed JoM

only thing I can hope for at this point is that current issues are a result of the huge percentage of manpower that's going towards Destiny 2 or Destiny Year 3 rather

Stuff like catapult just now getting a buff is very frustrating on top of many other things

I don't think so, but gates always come in sets. So usually as soon as you hit your first one again after missing some, there is a second one ready to get you to max very shortly.

The Mars shortcut has 2 gates right after that jump.

The Venus S-curve shortcut has two gates right after that jump.

The Venus Portal Shotcut is probably the worst. You only have 1 gate towards the end of it, but if you hit it right, it'll lead you into the starting line, which counts as a gate anyway.

ethomaz

Banned
Just wait....

If I reach lvl 25 in a faction I receive a Exotic Faction quest?

So I need to do that with all chars in all three factions to get all the Exotic?

Which is the fastest way to level up factions? Mote of light trade-in?

Just wait....

So I need to do that with all chars in all three factions to get all the Exotic?

Motes, and buying heavy ammo through Variks, and buying weapon parts. I also like spending strange coins on heavy ammo, 33 strange coins it's basically enough for one rank up in a faction.

Ax man when you jump on tonight can you toss the golgo cp over to me? Sorry we butchered it on Tuesday. We realized one of our teammates only had 1 character and I forgot to reset my cp.

Sounds fine. I'll probably be up until 2-3 in the morning anyway. I don't sleep and I took off Friday

I can also toss you a HM Golgo CP if needed.

My group of randoms couldn't complete it last night due to either A) people not paying attention to debuff or B) People missing shooting his back to take the gaze and blaming it on glitches. heh.

Ken

Nah, you only gain 1 giblet in your speedometer.

~~

So I got 9 strange coins from the mail(mysterious benefactor) for no reason today. I thought it was related to Sparrow Racing, but I logged on to my character who I haven't raced with yet.

Uhh. Hm.

I don't think so, but gates always come in sets. So usually as soon as you hit your first one again after missing some, there is a second one ready to get you to max very shortly.

Yeah that must be why it never felt like I'm slowed that much. Anyways, I still think shortcuts come down to how well you can side boost and how much fuel you have going in.

If I can get 310+ armour piece I'm all over SRL.

Just heads and class items.

ethomaz

Banned
Motes, and buying heavy ammo through Variks, and buying weapon parts. I also like spending strange coins on heavy ammo, 33 strange coins it's basically enough for one rank up in a faction.
I'm checking my ranks...

|Warlock Master Race|
DO 7
NM 3
FWC 20

|Hunter|
DO 11
NM 1
FWC 1

|Titan "The Useless"|
DO 1
NM 7
FWC 1

I need more 173 rank up... OMG!!!

Two recent examples of completely unnecessary salt generators:

Players: Hey! We're running out of weapon parts!
Bungie: "Changes to economy of the game are made in the interest of preserving the value of the items in your inventory and ensuring that you have good uses for the things you’re saving."
Players: U wot, m8? We can't upgrade our guns!
But they weren't content to fix something for the players. Gotta insult their needs first,
Bungie: "My boss has 1,656 weapon parts. Gotta act fast."
But they weren't content with being glib, gotta remind the community who's game this really is.
Bungie: But seriously, we can do whatever we want. It's our game.

Players: I'm not getting any Iron Banner drops in Year 2. I'm at Rank 5 and haven't gotten anything!
Bungie: You have to be Rank 2 to get drops.
Players: We know that! I'm Rank 5!
One week later.
Bungie: There's a bug in Iron Banner related to drops. Whoops.

Destiny is such a frustrating game to care about. Even in Year 2.

Your posts could use a TL;DR sometimes.

Noted. Added one above.

lt519

Agreed. The patch and their incompetence with weapons balancing is a separate issue. I just want to trust that they aren't going to disregard my investment into the game. I don't want to grind or farm anymore because I never know if they will be making what I'm working for/towards irrelevant. I spend all this time getting the raid PR to level 320 and then they nerf it. That's fine, but if I had known it was going to be so bad I wouldn't have infused my other hard earned 320 raid primaries into it. I'm OK with the game running out of content, it's going to happen, but don't try and sell me things then make them part of the loot pool a month later. There's just no need for them to operate in the shade.

Deku Tree

Just wait....

I posted about this yesterday:

Ok, this is it:

0dK85Q5.jpg

Let me know if I made any mistakes.

Seems to me the best way to grind rep without going out of your way to "grind" is (1) buy heavy synth with ether seeds from Variks (pick up your variks package each week if you can) (2) donate the motes that you get from playing the game and handing in bounties (3) donate your excess planetary mats that you accumulate if it is consistent with your chosen faction (4) buy weapon parts with your excess glimmer from the gunsmith and donate it.

I always try to equip the proper ghost to accumulate glimmer and/or generate planetary mats while playing. Seems easy and a no brainer.

If you want to "go out of your way to grind faction rep" then either (1) farm glimmer with a glimmer ghost plus a glimmer consumable and buy weapons parts and donate them or (2) do the draksis ether seed farm and buy heavy synth from variks and donate them. Very boring but can effectively grind your faction rep all the way to 25 in probably less than one faction rank per hour. Not sure which is faster.

ethomaz

Banned
I posted about this yesterday:

If you want to "go out of your way to grind faction rep" then either (1) farm glimmer with a glimmer ghost plus a glimmer consumable and buy weapons parts and donate them or (2) do the draksis ether seed farm and buy heavy synth from variks and donate them. Very boring but can effectively grind your faction rep all the way to 25 in probably less than one faction rank per hour. Not sure which is faster.
Cool I have over 1k motes so I will try use them and over 500 Heavy packs.
I will use my Strange Coins to buy more heavy packs or get more Motes (I will check which is better).

Agreed. The patch and their incompetence with weapons balancing is a separate issue. I just want to trust that they aren't going to disregard my investment into the game. I don't want to grind or farm anymore because I never know if they will be making what I'm working for/towards irrelevant. I spend all this time getting the raid PR to level 320 and then they nerf it. That's fine, but if I had known it was going to be so bad I wouldn't have infused my other hard earned 320 raid primaries into it. I'm OK with the game running out of content, it's going to happen, but don't try and sell me things then make them part of the loot pool a month later. There's just no need for them to operate in the shade.

I mean, really. Even if they flat out said that the original emotes would be potential nightfall drops in 3 months, people still would have bought them. The type of person that buys that kind of stuff is going to buy it regardless of potential future availability.

Hell, it's the same system they do with their PvP maps

LTWood12

As many mainstream gaming press articles that we used to see about Destiny, I'm pretty surprised to not even have seen a single one about this .04% kerfuffle.

flkraven

Two recent examples of completely unnecessary salt generators:

Players: Hey! We're running out of weapon parts!
Bungie: "Changes to economy of the game are made in the interest of preserving the value of the items in your inventory and ensuring that you have good uses for the things you’re saving."
Players: U wot, m8? We can't upgrade our guns!
But they weren't content to fix something for the players. Gotta insult their needs first,
Bungie: "My boss has 1,656 weapon parts. Gotta act fast."
But they weren't content with being glib, gotta remind the community who's game this really is.
Bungie: But seriously, we can do whatever we want. It's our game.

Players: I'm not getting any Iron Banner drops in Year 2. I'm at Rank 5 and haven't gotten anything!
Bungie: You have to be Rank 2 to get drops.
Players: We know that! I'm Rank 5!
One week later.
Bungie: There's a bug in Iron Banner related to drops. Whoops.

Destiny is such a frustrating game to care about. Even in Year 2.

Noted. Added one above.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the fucking WORST was husk of the pit. Sure, many people found theirs in the first few weeks, but after that the drop rate was bugged so it would NEVER drop. It was reported everywhere for months and Bungie just kept saying it was working as intended. Finally they admit there was a bug preventing it from dropping, they patched it, and I got mine in 15 minutes after the patch. Meanwhile, I had grinded for HOURS before since they said it was working. Still really salty.

Deku Tree

Cool I have over 1k motes so I will try use them and over 500 Heavy packs.
I will use my Strange Coins to buy more heavy packs or get more Motes (I will check which is better).

2SC = 1 mote
5 motes = 100 rep
So 10SC= 100 rep
SC = 10 rep

Or

3SC = 5 heavy synth
1 synth = 25 rep
So 3SC= 125 rep
SC = 125/3 = 41.66666 > 10

So buy heavy from Xur with your SC

Status
Not open for further replies.