• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermas

FUCK SRL.

Nothing in this game has ever made me this salty.

It's pretty frustrating... but kind of fun.

The whole "I finished a couple tenths of a second ahead of that guy, but he's ahead of me on the leaderboard" thing is kind of a problem, though. Especially if you finish 3rd and it gives you credit for 4th. That's no bueno.

LordofPwn

The whole "I finished a couple tenths of a second ahead of that guy, but he's ahead of me on the leaderboard" thing is kind of a problem, though. Especially if you finish 3rd and it gives you credit for 4th. That's no bueno.

i think that's because they completed 3 laps faster than you, but you completed the race before them. a way to help those that start in the back. kinda like in drag racing?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Didn't realize until now that the overall is based on lap times, not placing. :/

shermas

i think that's because they completed 3 laps faster than you, but you completed the race before them. a way to help those that start in the back. kinda like in drag racing?

I guess that COULD be why they do that.

There's not really a back, though. Three spots are a *teeny* bit closer to the white line when you start, but everyone is pretty equal heading into the first gate.

I haven't done HM yet this week, happy to do full or start from Golgorth Challenge and then continue through to end ..

I'm available to start in about 90 minutes, about 8:30 GMT ?

psn aanx10uss

I gave up. Couldn't get a crew in time.
Will try to do this on a Sunday late afternoon/evening (CET time).

LordofPwn

I guess that COULD be why they do that.

There's not really a back, though. Three spots are a *teeny* bit closer to the white line when you start, but everyone is pretty equal heading into the first gate.

at the start you don't have any momentum so that little edge is still probably a couple of tenths.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Can you wait behind the start line for a bit and then go to prevent being bashed into walls and out of gates?

That sounds like a hilarious idea cause your gates will also be bigger. Someone try. Then we'll know if it's actually race time from first gate (no matter when yo cross it) or if the ones starting in the back row just get a blank, say, 0.04 seconds bonus deduction

For the record LAP times is wrong. It's total RACE time. Question is just when it starts. At 0 ir at first cross of the gate. First cross would explain someone finishing physically behind you ending up ahead of you in the final standing, since they likely crossed the first gate behind you as well.

WipedOut

Hook me up Achilles! I've yet to even attempt HM Oryx. My titan can be 315.

wait what? Not even attempted it? Prepare to be a little frustrated, Killing the Knights is by far the best strat. Downed him x3 this week, only the last one was close to being clean. Wiped once, came close to finishing him off with only 4 people.

Axoman

You haven't? Ok then, we've got to do that.

Sweet! I've been too worried to attempt HM Oryx until I felt I was high enough level.

I've got HM Oryx cp as well. I also need one more Golgo challenge and have the checkpoint for that as well.

This Raid with Achilles sponsored by Icy Hot Extra Strength Medicated Patches XL

Also, Axo just join up in the party later if you want to play the division

Will do. I probably won't be on until later though, after 11-11:30PM your time.

They really need to change these weekly crucible bounties as its an exercise in smashing your head against a brick wall. Nothing should be contingent on getting team mates with either thumbs or understanding how to play game modes

Iceman829

wait what? Not even attempted it? Prepare to be a little frustrated, Killing the Knights is by far the best strat. Downed him x3 this week, only the last one was close to being clean. Wiped once, came close to finishing him off with only 4 people.

We beat oryx without dmh dying once this week. Axo will be fine

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
They really need to change these weekly crucible bounties as its an exercise in smashing your head against a brick wall. Nothing should be contingent on getting team mates with either thumbs or understanding how to play game modes

Hey, at least sparrow racing counts for the "win 7 matches" bounty lol

Iceman829

Sweet! I've been too worried to attempt HM Oryx until I felt I was high enough level.

I've got HM Oryx cp as well. I also need one more Golgo challenge and have the checkpoint for that as well.

Will do. I probably won't be on until later though, after 11-11:30PM your time.

Ax man when you jump on tonight can you toss the golgo cp over to me? Sorry we butchered it on Tuesday. We realized one of our teammates only had 1 character and I forgot to reset my cp.

Sounds fine. I'll probably be up until 2-3 in the morning anyway. I don't sleep and I took off Friday

So the more I look at Sparrow racing the more I realize that shortcuts are almost always worth it, which seems so counter-counter intuitive.

Like, start with a racing game, okay simple enough.

Find a shortcut - Oh Shortcuts are good, they usually get me around a hard part of the track, or get me to the finish line faster.

Missing gates is bad - Oh, except when I take this shortcut I miss this gate or two, and I'm slowing down. So I guess I should stick to the main path.

After taking enough shortcuts - Okay, somehow, despite the speed decrease, I'm still actually getting ahead with these shortcuts, but I feel so slow... I don't understand, but I guess I'll keep doing it.

Anyway, other than that, I'll say that the only change I think SRL needs is for enemies on the track to me more aggressive with First place. It's funny to me that Ghost makes the comment about first place means more enemies shooting at me, but because all enemies have terrible aim, they're shooting at me, but hitting anyone behind me. Thus, first place actually catching less flak from enemies.

I'm not sure if it's possible to change the way enemies aim for specific targets, but I feel like that change would really help keep 1st place from breaking away from the pack for a guaranteed win so much.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
They really need to fix some of the geometry on these race tracks. Holy shit.

Make it as complex visually as you want bungie, but the terrain hitboxes should be super simple.

It's funny to me that Ghost makes the comment about first place means more enemies shooting at me, but because all enemies have terrible aim, they're shooting at me, but hitting anyone behind me. Thus, first place actually catching less flak from enemies.
I just love that I often get Ghost complaining that I lost first place, then when I retake first a second or two later, he complains that we are in first and enemies will shoot us.

Kinda wish I could hear a sarcastic Dinklebot chastise me like that...

Make it as complex visually as you want bungie, but the terrain hitboxes should be super simple.

There is one hole in the wall near the second bend of the first S curve on Mars. Just before where the Cabal ship shoots at you.

Anyway, if you don't take the turn right there is a full on hole in the wall you can get stuck in. You can't strafe out of it, you actually have to throw your sparrow in reverse to get out of it.

It's super annoying.

Deku Tree

So this does happen

CV4tukvUAAAs7H6.jpg

Wonder if he has an S license, or high rank?

This... PLEASE! Please, if you're going to make a racing game, please acknowledge this for next time. It's important in racing games!

Also, I just feel like the controls/physics for the Sparrow just aren't designed for this either. But that's a whole other story.

I am sure that a sparrow section in a Raid would be amazing, but racing Sparrows is just not the best thing.

So the more I look at Sparrow racing the more I realize that shortcuts are almost always worth it, which seems so counter-counter intuitive.

Like, start with a racing game, okay simple enough.

Find a shortcut - Oh Shortcuts are good, they usually get me around a hard part of the track, or get me to the finish line faster.

Missing gates is bad - Oh, except when I take this shortcut I miss this gate or two, and I'm slowing down. So I guess I should stick to the main path.

After taking enough shortcuts - Okay, somehow, despite the speed decrease, I'm still actually getting ahead with these shortcuts, but I feel so slow... I don't understand, but I guess I'll keep doing it.

Anyway, other than that, I'll say that the only change I think SRL needs is for enemies on the track to me more aggressive with First place. It's funny to me that Ghost makes the comment about first place means more enemies shooting at me, but because all enemies have terrible aim, they're shooting at me, but hitting anyone behind me. Thus, first place actually catching less flak from enemies.

I'm not sure if it's possible to change the way enemies aim for specific targets, but I feel like that change would really help keep 1st place from breaking away from the pack for a guaranteed win so much.

From what I've seen and how it's felt.. shortcuts on Venus seem like they're worth it almost every time (exceptions being if you hit the shortcuts sloppily causing you to lose more speed than normal) but on the Mars track, they're not always advantageous.

The other aspect that isn't immediately obvious is that it's very worth it to brake or to at least let off the gas to adjust to take the quickest line. This is especially true of cornering. And, while I haven't gotten a helmet leveled to the perk yet, I'm certain that limiting air time by controlling your pitch will net speed gains overall, except in situations where extending your air time will allow you to hit a shortcut.

LordofPwn

My brain is trying to understand how lap time totals don't add up to race placements. Halp.

in an attempt to explain the odd phenomenon of ppl placing in front of you even though you crossed the line first; I suggested that maybe bungie is counting a lap start as crossing the start line and not from when you can actually move. so while someone may have beat you by a hair, you actually completed 3 laps faster than them. It's a concept that i guess they use in drag racing. theres the time from when the light goes green and you crossing the finish line, and then there's the time from when you cross the start line and then cross the finish line.

From what I've seen and how it's felt.. shortcuts on Venus seem like they're worth it almost every time (exceptions being if you hit the shortcuts sloppily causing you to lose more speed than normal) but on the Mars track, they're not always advantageous.

The other aspect that isn't immediately obvious is that it's very worth it to brake or to at least let off the gas to adjust to take the quickest line. This is especially true of cornering. And, while I haven't gotten a helmet leveled to the perk yet, I'm certain that limiting air time by controlling your pitch will net speed gains overall, except in situations where extending your air time will allow you to hit a shortcut.

I'm trying to think of Shortcuts on mars that isn't that first S curve.

Venus has the one after the big drop on the left, and the one after the teleport on the right. And that really small one in that cave that has the upper path that isn't really a shortcut.

Axoman

Ax man when you jump on tonight can you toss the golgo cp over to me? Sorry we butchered it on Tuesday. We realized one of our teammates only had 1 character and I forgot to reset my cp.

Sounds fine. I'll probably be up until 2-3 in the morning anyway. I don't sleep and I took off Friday

Will do. You guys can just run it with me! :)

Who are you raiding with now? Seems VFI has pretty much disbanded.

I'm trying to think of Shortcuts on mars that isn't that first S curve.

Venus has the one after the big drop on the left, and the one after the teleport on the right. And that really small one in that cave that has the upper path that isn't really a shortcut.

The ones on Mars aren't really as clearly a shortcut as the ones on Venus. Other than the taking the high path in that S curve, they're all jumps on either the far inside or far outside of the track.

On Venus, there's also a jump on the right side of the drop that you could take instead of dropping in the river.. you would take that jump, land on top of the Fallen ship then drop onto a landing ramp that send you straight at the step-up to the left of the S curve. There's also a straight path to the far right that you can take immediately after the teleport but before you hit the finish line (technically should be faster since it's straight but you miss at least two gates, so it's sketchy).

The ones on Mars aren't really as clearly a shortcut as the ones on Venus. Other than the taking the high path in that S curve, they're all jumps on either the far inside or far outside of the track.

On Venus, there's also a jump on the right side of the drop that you could take instead of dropping in the river.. you would take that jump, land on top of the Fallen ship then drop onto a landing ramp that send you straight at the step-up to the left of the S curve. There's also a straight path to the far right that you can take immediately after the teleport but before you hit the finish line (technically should be faster since it's straight but you miss at least two gates, so it's sketchy).

Yeah, I don't think of Skiff Jump as a shortcut for some reason, probably because of the 4 times I've tried it my sparrow spins out of control and I end up blowing up for some reason.

I mentioned the path after the teleporter, Though there are actually two. You can go far left, but I have no idea why you would. I recommend trying the far right, though. You miss two gates, but if you line up the last gate of the lap right, you shoot straight at the finish line and really pull ahead doing that.

I've jumped from 3rd to 1st a few times doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom