• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Soon™

https://twitter.com/UrkMcGurk/status/675065676982259712

P76PRWD.png

I'm already annoyed.

Seems to be between 2PM and 6PM Pacific Time, usually.

In about 30-90 minutes from now is the average.

Anytime from 10-11GMT

They vary, but typically any time in the next 3 hours.
:lol thanks everyone!

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying sparrow racing. Pretty fun to spam my bicycle horn, too. tring-tring-tring-tri-tring!
I initially liked the Venus course much more, but Mars is growing on me, especially now that I've got the hang of those giant fan blades.

I don't understand the final positioning system, though. 1, 2, 3, 2, 3, 4?

SnakeEyes

Banned
I thought it was kind of funny..

Over/under on number of times "typo" appears in the BWU?
Over/under on number of times "intended" appears in the BWU?
Any typos will actually be intended, and there's probably an in-office sweepstakes going on how quickly someone posts on Twitter about them.

Intended: 5 times.

It's funny, I notice Urk gives Cozmo shit, but in a good way. Kind of like teasing a younger brother.

There's been several jokes about firing Cozmo over the past few months.

Yet I never see Urk really interact with Deej at all.

For anyone that doesn't know. Urk is Deej and Cozmo's boss.

At least Urk can keep his sense of humour during all this.
Unlike all of GAF.

Yeah to me it just seemed like Urk was a harmless jab about the fuck up. Maybe I'm am just so used to everything that is said by people saying one thing and meaning another as a result of my legal job but I don't think it is a slight towards the players at all.

Lol pulses have changed, again

• Low RoF (The Messenger, Spare Change): 14.23% base damage reduction
  • Med RoF (Hawksaw, No Time To Explain, Red Death): 10.69% base damage reduction
  • High RoF (Bad Juju): 8.17% base damage reduction
  • Highest RoF (Grasp of Marok): 2.97% base damage reduction

Also fuck this The first of these early 2016 experiences will be on a scale close to Festival of the Lost

Namikaze1

The first of the early 2016 experiences will be on the scale close to Festival of the Lost. The second will be far larger than anything you've seen since the release of the Taken King. There's also another significant update to the world and sandbox planned in this same window.

....part of me wishes for Dark Below 2: Darker and Lower

SnakeEyes

Banned
I ain't hungry! I just ate!

No pizza till next week.
You have to eat a pizza on the 16th of December.
It'll be my birthday :3

The first of the early 2016 experiences will be on the scale close to Festival of the Lost. The second will be far larger than anything you've seen since the release of the Taken King. There's also another significant update to the world and sandbox planned in this same window.

....part of me wishes for Dark Below 2: Darker and Lower
This is what I'll be honestly expecting. Patrol activities and changes to the world.

Will that be enough to “properly buff” Auto Rifles?

Hahaha, of course it won't.

The damage numbers you see in game are not the raw base numbers we work with. The number shown at a damage event gets scaled by a lot of factors (activity, target, Light level, difficulty, precision, damage type, etc.) and then displayed to the player in combat as rounded whole numbers with a clean UI presentation

Look Bungie, either you start giving your players some straight information or you just don't post anything at all. This is kinda ridiculous.

inthrall

The resulting update caused more confusion and made it seem like we were trying to cover our tracks. It was a sloppy move on my part, but none of it is malicious or a cover up.

Honestly I'm not sure why people saw it as anything else

What is the point of increasing damage if the numbers don’t go up?

The damage numbers you see in game are not the raw base numbers we work with. The number shown at a damage event gets scaled by a lot of factors (activity, target, Light level, difficulty, precision, damage type, etc.) and then displayed to the player in combat as rounded whole numbers with a clean UI presentation. A small adjustment to an Auto Rifle may not be enough to change the displayed number, but (THIS IS A HYPOTHETICAL EXAMPLE) if your base damage changed from 20 to 20.2, and then you fired that damage value every other frame (at 30 fps) over the duration of a 50 round magazine, you’re actually getting a change in DPS even though the base number still reports as 20 in the UI.

Specifically for PVP, add precision damage scaling and the barrel upgrades that scale up Impact available on Exotic and King’s Fall Auto Rifles, and you’ll start to feel the new change a bit more.

Will that be enough to “properly buff” Auto Rifles?​

Wow. Doubling down on 0.04% increase. I can't even. What?

A small adjustment to an Auto Rifle may not be enough to change the displayed number, but (THIS IS A HYPOTHETICAL EXAMPLE) if your base damage changed from 20 to 20.2, and then you fired that damage value every other frame (at 30 fps) over the duration of a 50 round magazine, you’re actually getting a change in DPS even though the base number still reports as 20 in the UI.

What the ever loving fuck does this even mean. Are you saying I have to fire 400 bullets to notice a change?

Bungie is acting stupid as fuck.

Welp.

Not sure what I was expecting.

I'm with you. I don't know what to think at this point. At the very least, Bungie knows they have a PR problem.

The new numbers...I have no idea what they are trying to do. The explanation for the minuscule percentage changes with auto rifles just doesn't make sense to me yet. Maybe it's my post lunch near food coma.

GhaleonEB

Today's update shouldn't be about patch numbers and %s. That's not the real problem. The problem is trust.

I would argue that the community doesn't trust Bungie at all anymore. Look at the subreddit. Does anyone believe Bungie anymore when they claim something is a bug? It goes back to the Atheon teleporting and the Collector's Edition ship was identical to one of the blueprint ships. Things that may be "bugs", but really strain the bounds of credibility. Then you've had their absolute silence for many of the Year 1 player problems like #Forever29. Then Crota's End cheeses getting fixed immediately, but player problems only getting fixed when its convenient. Heavy Ammo glitches taking 5 months to fix and clearly only a priority because the community wouldn't let it go. Recently you've had the $20 Collector's Edition debacle and Luke Smith's "throw money at the screen" comments. Things that wouldn't have been storms with a community that had any trust in the developer. But instead, we read the worst into both. Then you've got DeeJ who regularly seems to dismiss player concerns or just be unnecessarily glib. "My boss has 1657 weapon parts, so better act quick" is the recent example.

I think the natural state of the community in Destiny is salt, and mostly because Bungie has communicated poorly and set its priorities in ways that can be construed as player hostile. There are definite highs, but gravity drags it back down to salt.

Look at some of the posts even in DGAF yesterday when the shit was hitting the fan. People are primed to believe the absolute worst. To be clear, I don't believe Bungie is nefarious or evil. But they have their own priorities and they don't align with players quite often. And worse, they don't contextualize that.

The Bungie communication pattern is PR, silence, damage control, repeat. No part of that is player friendly. Because it often feels like Bungie's top priority for Destiny isn't the players, isn't the game, but Bungie itself. That's how these free events are being taken by people.

It doesn't have to be that way. Not every game is like this. Diablo isn't. Starcraft isn't. The community has come to a place

It won't happen. It can't happen. But I would love to see today's weekly update be about trying to de-salt the community. To reassert Bungie's love of and respect for the community. Have the Patch #'s discussed in a separate post. A little fireside chat with DeeJ, Cosmo and Urk.

tl;dr: Bungie should take a long view in damage control for once and address that the community has a lot of salt. Salt that's been building since Year one.
I think there are a few different levels to the communication problems. The first is there's a general uneasiness about the future of the game we're all invested in. Destiny is a 10 year journey, and one year in Bungie initiated a major change to how the game will be supported and funded - and barely communicated their intentions to the community. They pivoted to micro transactions without ever stating what their line in the sand regarding what can go the MTX route, so people are uneasy with each update and the subtle ways the line has shifted. We have no expectations about what kind of scope the Live team will develop, what their planned cadence is, etc. We don't really know where the game is going. I think the community is still on edge about MTX and are waiting for the other shoe to drop. Bungie doesn't seem to recognize this unease. Deej and company have said they want to keep releasing surprises like SRL, with little to no warning. That's fine, but I think they are making a big mistake in providing no compass whatsoever about Destiny's near or long term future.

The other is in how they do bring out information. Deej is needlessly, relentlessly opaque in the BWU's, obfuscating information when there's often no reason to do so. Why was the release of the challenge modes a surprise? Why was the date of the patch saved for PSX? Why does he say things like "in one rotation of the earth" instead of "tomorrow"? Why are so many changes made to the game without context or explanation (the Great Weapons Parts Famine of 2015)?

The moment to moment communication is really quite poor and seems totally detached from what the community, who are clearly very invested in the game, want to hear. I understand there's a lot they can't talk about. They're not going to announce the next expansion / Destiny 2 plans this early. Their long term roadmaps for the game may still be in flux. But it just feels like there's a fundamental disconnect with what the community is interested in and what ends up in the BWU's and other communication channels.

Fixed an issue where copies of “The Climb” FWC Ship was incorrectly providing Reputation. We have temporarily disabled the ability to re-acquire this from the Ship Collection kiosk, and will fix this in a future update.

That was a thing? Dang should have done that to hit 25 on my other two!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom