• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this base damage increase is based on each bullet doing 0.04% more than before, that adds up to 2.4% more damage in the same timeframe, assuming a 60 bullet clip.

I'm uncertain if they are referring to base damage or dps though, if its base damage then the above is correct

The thing is when you fire a bullet, it rounds up. Unless I'm wrong, the game isn't going to go 'Oh you fired 25 bullets, time to do 1 more damage.'

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Necrochasm does 2.16% more dps
Name a pulse rifle and I can tell you how much less dps it does

Can you also tell me about Auto Rifles? If so:
No Time To Explain
Red Spectre
Monte Carlo
An Answering Chord

Anyone doing sparrow boosting atm?

Ghazi

I literally don't like racing on Mars because every other lap the lift kills me. Who the fuck tested and ok'd that garbage?

lt519

The thing is when you fire a bullet, it rounds up. Unless I'm wrong, the game isn't going to go 'Oh you fired 25 bullets, time to do 1 more damage.'

A small adjustment to an Auto Rifle may not be enough to change the displayed number, but (THIS IS A HYPOTHETICAL EXAMPLE) if your base damage changed from 20 to 20.2, and then you fired that damage value every other frame (at 30 fps) over the duration of a 50 round magazine, you're actually getting a change in DPS even though the base number still reports as 20 in the UI.

It only rounds up for display, which was an interesting revelation. So hypothetically there will be a difference in damage output. But he's also trying to tell us that to feel the difference we have to connect a precision shot on every round in the clip. That's just not a realistic expectation in PvP to actually change the balance.

Unstable

The move with a microtransaction model was always to fund expansion-sized content. I presume Bungie didn't want to commit to anything publicly in case microtransactions were a failure. Obliviously they weren't.

From what I gathered, the game actually takes decimal damage into consideration, but the UI rounds up to show us nice clean numbers.

So if you shot a bullet that was doing 10.1 damage every shot, you'd see 10 pop up 10 times, but on the 10th shot, you'd have actually doe 101 damage.

A small adjustment to an Auto Rifle may not be enough to change the displayed number, but (THIS IS A HYPOTHETICAL EXAMPLE) if your base damage changed from 20 to 20.2, and then you fired that damage value every other frame (at 30 fps) over the duration of a 50 round magazine, you’re actually getting a change in DPS even though the base number still reports as 20 in the UI.

Specifically for PVP, add precision damage scaling and the barrel upgrades that scale up Impact available on Exotic and King’s Fall Auto Rifles, and you’ll start to feel the new change a bit more.

Will that be enough to “properly buff” Auto Rifles? We’ll see. As always, we’re watching data and planning the next update every day. Until then, keep that feedback coming.

KS48Xfg.gif

LTWood12

Honestly, this was better than I expected. Urk did a good job w/ his portion of the update.

But,

Jon Weisnewski's explanation, while better than I'd hoped for, doesn't make a lot of sense. Everything he said is probably true, but why not actually address WHY the disparity in the numbers was so incredibly VAST. Based on his explanation, the 3,7, & 4% base damage increases for the different auto-rifle archetypes were what were in the works at that time. Why not tell us a bit of WHY you guys decided to slam on the brakes on the buff? 4% and .04 is a HUGE difference when you're talking about DPS.

SnakeEyes

Banned
TIL that if I ever race DeeJ in the SRL, that I'm going to make sure I'm not stuck neck-and-neck with that cheating bastard!
I'm also looking at you Slammin >.>

iBWxrAJ.gif

lt519

Honestly, this was better than I expected. Urk did a good job w/ his portion of the update.

But,

Jon Weisnewski's explanation, while better than I'd hoped for, doesn't make a lot of sense. Everything he said is probably true, but why not actually address WHY the disparity in the numbers was so incredibly VAST. Based on his explanation, the 3,7, & 4% base damage increases for the different auto-rifle archetypes were what were in the works at that time. Why not tell us a bit of WHY you guys decided to slam on the brakes on the buff? 4% and .04 is a HUGE difference when you're talking about DPS.

Agreed he could have elaborated further but I can see that they would be hesitant to nerf PRs and buff ARs significantly at the same time. That could just flip the problem and now everyone is running around with a Suros.

The lack of communicating that information to us while they are testing and playing in the sandbox is the larger issue here and hopefully they've learned.

They simply could have come out and told us they were bringing PRs down a bit to reduce TTK and that they are going to try and bring Auto Rifles back up a bit but want to do it gradually to not create another problem. If that's all they said this whole thing would have been avoided. Or they can spill the beans and communicate everything. By telling us one thing, ignoring it for 3 weeks, and then doing something different they hosed themselves. Either go all in or speak in general terms.

From what I gathered, the game actually takes decimal damage into consideration, but the UI rounds up to show us nice clean numbers.

So if you shot a bullet that was doing 10.1 damage every shot, you'd see 10 pop up 10 times, but on the 10th shot, you'd have actually doe 101 damage.

So for PvE, there's probably a miniscule, tiny, .04% of a slight difference.

For PvP, it's literally nothing.

I don't really care about the percentage and the numbers of the patch. All I know is Auto Rifles were not good before the patch and they're still in exact the same spot after the patch. Can they do something about that? I don't really care what theoretical numbers or input or output numbers they give. I just want to use my Suros in PVE.

Can they do something about that or are they working as intended?

Namikaze1

Seriously, I'll take The Dark Below 2: Darker and Lower / Crota's Revenge / Electric Boogaloo / DARKNESS NO PARENTS / Here's the content you all been asking for.

These events aren't doing it for me.

We knew this day would come. Now we must wait.
Vault-Tec just called. Said our new fallout shelter is ready. Our new fallout shelter is bigger and better. Has the indoor pool you requested.

inthrall

The Stranger's Rifle.

18.7551% less damage after emptying a clip (assuming you have no mods that affect clip size)

Nirwen's Mercy

26.793% less damage after emptying a clip (assuming you have no mods that affect clip size of 30, 27 clip would be 24.1137%)

Note that the difference changes for PvP kills, the dps decrease is less drastic. Assuming you shoot off two bursts of 3 bullets, your effective dps with nirwens would be 5.3586% less

Frenden

Banned
I don't really care about the percentage and the numbers of the patch. All I know is Auto Rifles were not good before the patch and they're still in exact the same spot after the patch. Can they do something about that? I don't really care what theoretical numbers or input or output numbers they give. I just want to use my Suros in PVE.

Can they do something about that or are they working as intended?

They doubled down on their current state.

Axoman

Is really that hard to put out accurate information about weapon changes prior to an update?

I think every weapon update has rarely followed the article speaking of the changes.

As previously mentioned, Mytho was one of the first, claiming a 34% damage reduction that in reality was 50%

Or prior to Taken King, the 2.0 balance initially said shotguns would receive a 10% reduction in PVE, but it turned out to be 45%.

I just want them to actually do what they say they are going to do for once.

So for auto rifles, for every 1,000,000 damage I do, I now do an extra 400. Wow. Such damage. Much pew.

LTWood12

18.7551% less damage after emptying a clip (assuming you have no mods that affect clip size)

24.1137% less damage after emptying a clip (assuming you have no mods that affect clip size of 30, 27 clip would be 26.793%)

Note that the difference changes for PvP kills, the dps decrease is less drastic. Assuming you shoot off two bursts of 3 bullets, your effective dps with nirwens would be 5.3586% less

Would you mind to share the math behind the #s?

Yup with challenge mode and SRL dropping 320 items the light level will be increased.

I can't wait for them to level up Oryx's light so we can do him all over again for 330 gear. Those 10 points will be worth an update!

Would you mind to share the math behind the #s?

Dividing/multiplying the % given with the magazines of the guns. That's how he got the 2.16% damage increase for Necrochasm, atleast.

MrDaravon

Me reading this week's BWU

nESu11E.jpg

I think there are a few different levels to the communication problems. The first is there's a general uneasiness about the future of the game we're all invested in. Destiny is a 10 year journey, and one year in Bungie initiated a major change to how the game will be supported and funded - and barely communicated their intentions to the community. They pivoted to micro transactions without ever stating what their line in the sand regarding what can go the MTX route, so people are uneasy with each update and the subtle ways the line has shifted. We have no expectations about what kind of scope the Live team will develop, what their planned cadence is, etc. We don't really know where the game is going. I think the community is still on edge about MTX and are waiting for the other shoe to drop. Bungie doesn't seem to recognize this unease. Deej and company have said they want to keep releasing surprises like SRL, with little to no warning. That's fine, but I think they are making a big mistake in providing no compass whatsoever about Destiny's near or long term future.

The other is in how they do bring out information. Deej is needlessly, relentlessly opaque in the BWU's, obfuscating information when there's often no reason to do so. Why was the release of the challenge modes a surprise? Why was the date of the patch saved for PSX? Why does he say things like "in one rotation of the earth" instead of "tomorrow"? Why are so many changes made to the game without context or explanation (the Great Weapons Parts Famine of 2015)?

The moment to moment communication is really quite poor and seems totally detached from what the community, who are clearly very invested in the game, want to hear. I understand there's a lot they can't talk about. They're not going to announce the next expansion / Destiny 2 plans this early. Their long term roadmaps for the game may still be in flux. But it just feels like there's a fundamental disconnect with what the community is interested in and what ends up in the BWU's and other communication channels.

Yup, couldn't agree more. Regardless of whatever his actual job title is right now, they desperately need urk (or someone else) to be doing the BWU at this point, even though I wasn't thrilled with the specifics/news of his part of the BWU this week it at least was well-written, made sense, and wasn't condescending. Honestly just uninstalled the game, the more event-type stuff that it sounds like is mostly what's in the 2016 pipeline doesn't really appeal to me at all, and they still haven't addressed a lot of the endgame issues I have. Extremely disappointing. Wish everyone the best, if they make significant changes/additions or next expansion I will be back for sure, but I'm just not enjoying the game that much at this point and deej's attitude and updates are honestly infuriating. As a minor aside I can't believe they haven't fixed the Firefly crash bug -_-.

Also is it true that Nightfalls can drop paid emotes now? Haven't bothered doing one in forever. That seems crazy if true.

Yeah so the problem here is we don't have access to base damage. That means nothing to us. We see the output, not the input. So, you guys predicting damage or dps based on the stated percentage changes will always be wrong. The percentage change in damage output (what we see) will always be different than the percentage change in base damage (input, what we don't ever see).

There is where the communication issue arises. We need to be informed of changes in terms of damage output in a few typical cases (like pvp with no range penalty, and pve at same level with no range penalty, etc.) Some base state must be established to communicate changes to us, such that it can be easily tested and verified by us.

That said, yeah, a .04% increase still does next to nothing. But that may be the point. Autos got a very slight change while shotties and pulses were brought down, meaning pulses should be less of an obvious choice for everything.

Fusion rifles were still broken again. Someone at bungie is actively sabotaging fusion rifles.

Zoidberg

Obfuscation Symposium held in Feb 2014, just enough time for Bungie to get some sweet, sweet tips:

The Symposium on Obfuscation will bring together experts from a variety of backgrounds who study, script and design technologies that either simulate, detect, or are susceptible to obfuscation. By obfuscation we mean the production of misleading, ambiguous and plausible but confusing information as an act of concealment or evasion. In the course of the day, we will critically explore and assess the use of obfuscation as a strategy for individuals, groups or communities to hide; to protect themselves; to protest or enact civil disobedience, especially in the context of monitoring, aggregated analysis, and profiling in (digital) space.

I'm going to assume Deej was in attendance.

/s

Unstable

I believe this quote to be quite apt.
"You should never change anything less than 10%. Players won’t notice it at all, and a balance problem has to be fairly big to be noticeable in the first place. Overshoot and then come back if you can."- Jaime Griesemer, Halo 3's lead multiplayer designer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom