• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

lt519

So damage each bullet does is increased or decreased by the percentage given in the BWU, but that doesn't reflect the actual damage difference. If you shoot a gun with base damage increased by 0.04%, a clip of 50 bullets adds that 0.04% onto each bullet. Over the course of the clip, you do (0.04% * 50) = 2% more damage in the same amount of time.

An example with a real gun (Grasp of Malok) which had a 2.97% base damage nerf, while emptying a clip of 30 into an enemy:
0.0297% * 30 = 0.891% less damage

Against a player, assuming two bodyshots of 3 bullets each:
0.0297% * 6 = 0.1782% less damage

To find out how much your gun is affected, simply choose the amount of bullets you want to shoot, and multiply it by the percentage shown on this page The tiny changes are important, because the damage under the scenes is not rounded like what you see visually in-game

I'm not quite sure this is the way to interpret it? You multiply the damage each bullet does by how many rounds in a clip. Not the percentage by the number of bullets. Say you are doing 50 damage output and you are now doing 55 damage output. That's safe to say it is a 10% increase in damage. If you have 20 rounds you don't multiply 10% by 20 to get a 22% increase in damage. You take 50 damage multiply it by 1.1 to get 55 and then multiply that by the number of rounds. So before you did 1000 damage, now you do 1100 damage. Doing it your way implies a 22% increase in damage which would be 1220 damage. A percentage increase is just that, your before and after ratio of damage doesn't changed based on your clip size so that shouldn't even be factored in until you start to talk about how much damage you are doing per second with rate of fire versus what it takes to kill someone.

stay gold

The super rans out way faster. I stopped using it because of that, the fourth shot is useless if you can't don't even have the time to get 3 good shots in. Im actually upset at this nerf. Sigh..

It's ridiculous. Meanwhile Stormcallers with Transcendence are knocking on 30 seconds of super time, with an armour boost thrown in for good measure.

Frenden

Banned
Yeah let's make the one good Exotic for Gunslingers bad, and oh let's just make Nothing Manacle be nothing as well but it's okay they can have the Ram again (but it's nerf also lol).

Almost no exotics are worth having. Almost no guns feel good to fire. Year two, folks.

Lima

The addiction to this game is real. Damn man. This shit is like being an alcoholic and then drinking again after you've been absent for a few years.

DrDrizzy sound off on all this pls.

Umm... errr... ehh... Tbh I don't have much to say about the game currently. It feels like everything's been said 100x over and the main problem now is that there's nothing new to say. I haven't played since 9am Tuesday, no NFalls, still haven't done any SRL, etc.

Basically I still enjoy reset raiding because of the people, and I enjoy Trials (with the huge caveat of "when it's not laggy") but otherwise I feel pretty disconnected from the game. I never anticipated year 2 being this flat but I've made peace w it for now.

v1perz53

Hmm, I had no idea a fully upgraded exotic dismantles into 2 exotic shards. Only takes like 10-15 motes of light to fully upgrade a 4th Horseman so I guess I have infinite shards now. Cool, I was being super judicious with my shards before, now I can upgrade those awesome collectors edition class items.

Also, I god damn love SRL, so much more than I expected to. Maybe though it is because everyone seems to be terrible at it, so it is something in this game I can actually be competitive in. Don't think I've lost a race yet for any of the ones I was actively trying for first on, and never came below 3rd even when I was going slow to hit every gate for the quest.

I do really hate that this game seems unable to reward people who play well though. I've gotten my best items when I came in 3rd, and never got shit for coming in 1st. Is it so hard to have 1st be guaranteed good loot and all other positions be random?

Ji66a-Man

The addiction to this game is real. Damn man. This shit is like being an alcoholic and then drinking again after you've been absent for a few years.

That addiction being supplied by all the good loot and progress you made in 1 week of playing TTK.

inthrall

I'm not quite sure this is the way to interpret it? You multiply the damage each bullet does by how many rounds in a clip. Not the percentage by the number of bullets. Say you are doing 50 damage output and you are now doing 55 damage output. That's safe to say it is a 10% increase in damage. If you have 20 rounds you don't multiply 10% by 20 to get a 200% increase in damage. You take 50 damage multiply it by 1.1 to get 55 and then multiply that by the number of rounds. So before you did 1000 damage, now you do 1100 damage. Doing it your way implies a 200% increase in damage which would be 2000 damage.

Really its (impact * 0.04) * number of bullets, but I'm simplifying out all the extra stuff in an attempt to make it more readable.

Say you are doing 50 damage output and you are now doing 55 damage output. That's safe to say it is a 10% increase in damage.
In your example, it is a 10% increase in damage(dps?), but the base bullet damage was only increased by 0.5%. (0.5 * 20 = 10% increase)

Lima

Picked a shitty time to return

Considering I've been playing for not even a week and have all characters at 315 already I'd say I picked a pretty good time to return. Plus challenge mode is pretty fun.

Couldn't care less about the garbage PvP in this game if that is what you are referring to.

That addiction being supplied by all the good loot and progress you made in 1 week of playing TTK.

Thanks again man.

Well, at least they explained why a 0.04% damage increase is going to help change the PVP meta...

Oh wait, they actually explained nothing. As usual.

What a joke Bungie has become. Now let's all delete our Destiny characters and get the new fresh and revolutionary Ubisoft title The Division® out early 2016 for both PS4 and Xbox One. This will surely fill the empty Destiny-shaped hole left in our hearts.
And dont forget to preorder for some free dlc crap. You guys love free dlc crap, right? yeah you do. You fucking love it.

I am not serious. At all.

Lnkn52

Well I guess that's that for me in Destiny.

PvE has gotten boring and stale for me and the only enjoyment I was getting was from the Crucible, and even that's a lag infested poop show with no signs of getting better.

Hopefully Destiny 2 comes strong out the box. Not sure I want to deal another situation of Bungie trying to figure out what they're doing while they're doing it.
I think this is when you post a pic of yourself burning your Destiny disc. # never forget LeBron

Me everytime I come back to check on this game

tumblr_inline_nbz935El9R1qapser.jpg

lt519

Really its (impact * 0.04) * number of bullets, but I'm simplifying out all the extra stuff in an attempt to make it more readable.

In this example you do the damage of two more bullets essentially, so 200% is correct, if scaled wrong

Your first equation is correct but that isn't what you are doing in your examples. You don't multiply the percentage by the clip size or else you get a different answer.

(Impact * Buff) * Clip Size = New Total Damage
Impact * Clip Size = Old Total Damage

New Total Damage/Old Total Damage = Buff

Clip size is irrelevant to the buff so just taking the percentage buff/nerf and multiplying it by clip size gets you the wrong answer. For the Grasp example, say it does 30 damage pre patch and has 36 rounds.

30 * 36 = 1080 total damage

Now buff each bullet by 2.97% and you get 30.84 damage.

30.84 * 36 = 1110

1110/1080 = 2.97%

The percentage is independent of the clip size. Change that number to 50 or to 100 and you get the same ratio of old damage to new damage. Clip size only matters when you want damage per second and factor in both clip size and rate of fire. I'm not sure why you would multiple the buff by the clip size, that changes the wrong variable.

So when they say a .04% increase in base damage, assuming that translate to output damage, it's just that a 0.04% increase in damage. The important thing they are trying to tweak is time to kill. A .04% increase on something that shoots 100 rounds in 2 seconds is going to dish out more increased damage than a 0.04% increase on something that shoots 10 rounds per 2 seconds. That's why they change the buff/nerf based on the Rate of Fire archetype.

inthrall

Your first equation is correct but that isn't what you are doing in your examples. You don't multiply the percentage by the clip size or else you get a different answer.

(Impact * Buff) * Clip Size = New Total Damage
Impact * Clip Size = Old Total Damage

New Total Damage/Old Total Damage = Buff

Clip size is irrelevant to the buff so just taking the percentage buff/nerf and multiplying it by clip size gets you the wrong answer. For the Grasp example, say it does 30 damage pre patch and has 36 rounds.

30 * 36 = 1080 total damage

Now buff each bullet by 2.97% and you get 30.84 damage.

30.84 * 36 = 1110

1110/1080 = 2.97%

The percentage is independent of the clip size. Change that number to 50 or to 100 and you get the same ratio of old damage to new damage. Clip size only matters when you want damage per second and factor in both clip size and rate of fire. I'm not sure why you would multiple the buff by the clip size, that changes the wrong variable.

I've left out impact, as it remains the same before and after. I'm measuring how much more damage you do in the same time period, which is easier to comprehend by clip size. (eg: 6 bullets from grasp now do x more damage in the same time period)

Shito

Reduced the time the super is active.
No way...
We're getting into absurd levels of "balancing" there; I've pretty much stopped playing since the economy patch, but it seems we're only going downhill from there. As a PVE player I must say Year 2 has been abysmal so far.

Got an email saying the 9 strange coins were for being an email subscriber. It also included a survey asking what I would like to see in future emails, stats, cosmetic stuff, actual gear, special challenges, etc..

It was a check all that apply question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom