• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocean

Banned
Still can't believe that bungie is selling the very thing they promised they weren't going to sell. Lol such hypocrisy. And the price!
They never mentioned this at all.

What they discussed specifically when it showed up in data mining was consumables which would increase your chances of getting Loot drops (3 of Coins style), which at any rate were (allegedly) going to be sold by the Speaker and not for real money.

They curiously ignored the issue of level boosters completely when they made their comments, which basically confirmed it was in the works.

You may like it or not like it, but there's no need to muddle up the waters by saying they're "doing the very thing they promised they wouldn't".

GlamFM

Banned
Promise is maybe a strong word, but when this stuff was exposed bungie ran out and said we were overreacting, that they weren't selling it for real money, and that it was supposed to be a consumable sold by the speaker. They claimed they removed it for technical reasons.

You have it mixed up:

Bungie has denied it has any plans to sell drop rate buffs in Destiny after a series of new items were found in patch files.

Following yesterday's update, which added the new real-money currency Silver to the game along with purchasable emotes, a number of players in the community were surprised to notice new items that appeared to offer significant bonuses to anyone who managed to acquire them.

The items include ones to buff armour and weapon drops in the King's Fall raid, the ability to acquire more Moldering Shards in the raid, and the option to fully level your character's equipped subclass. Concerns deepened when a thread made to bring up the issue on Bungie's forums was locked.

Now, creative director Luke Smith has taken to Twitter to address concerns over the items, saying: "We aren't (nor are we planning) on selling consumables that buff King's Fall drop rates for Silver." It's entirely possible, therefore, that these items are buffs that will organically be found in the world to increase your chances of finding the loot you're after.

But while that addresses concerns around the drop rate buffs, It doesn't touch on the level-boosters. The original level boosting item was handed out to players with The Taken King expansion, so those who wished to play with their friends could do so instantly, but the subclass boost is new

Daemul

A shader for the 50 fragments? You can't make shit like that up.
Unbelievable. Even as Destiny has been with loot this year, that's bad.

Hey on the bright side you probably no longer need to do the raid ever again after today :p

Don't forget the ship and hadium flakes.

mjcry1.png

On the subject of boosters:

Folks are free to spend their money as they see fit. I will never be mad at anyone who purchases microtransactions.

The price they are charging is absurd and it's clear that we will continue to see more of these kinds of things over time. I love Destiny. I play it pretty much every day still. My hope is these types of microtransactions and live events don't drive Destiny to become a game I don't want to play.

Jinjo

What exactly are we meant to do with the 14 Hadium flakes? Save them to level up the Harrowed ToM or something?

It's hinting at a possible new quest at the 14th of february. Bungie is all about 7's and 14 (hadium flakes)/2 (month of the year) = 7. BELIEVE

Folks are free to spend their money as they see fit. I will never be mad at anyone who purchases microtransactions.

The price they are charging is absurd and it's clear that we will continue to see more of these kinds of things over time. I love Destiny. I play it pretty much every day still. My hope is these types of microtransactions and live events don't drive Destiny to become a game I don't want to play.

As long as the stuff available for purchase is stuff that I can simply play to complete normally, I have no issue.

And as a stipulation to that rule, as long as there is no "pay to not grind" stuff for the endgame.

The moment that someone can get a full set of Raid gear with ease, while some of us here still don't have shit, is the day I leave.

Daemul

Yeah, Bungie avoided talking about the boosters when they talked with IGN, but people assumed that when Bungie said they wouldn't sell items that increase your raid drops drops(for silver), that it also meant that they wouldn't sell boosters either, which wasn't and isn't the case.

That "for silver" part does give Bungie a get out of free card for them to one day maybe sell raid drops buff items for non-silver cash though.

spyder_ur

Well said - I feel similarly. But sadly I think the game has already reorientated to being at least partially driven by microtransactions, and it's hard for me to see them pulling a 180 on that. Despite liking SRL I am pretty pessimistic.

Oh, and the price is, quite frankly, fucking insulting.

E92 M3

Gathering the materials for the exotic swords might be the worst thing I have done in this game.

Jesus. The ability kills took me like 20 Mayhem matches to get all 3 done but after only finishing the Spinmetal grind I already want to kill myself.

Yeah, it's dreadful. The only thing that makes it bearable is having a podcast on.

E92 M3

Not really happy with my drops. 2 320 primaries but not 320 armor drops. Is it better to infuse those to make my TOM 320 or a on Hung Jury?

You'd want to do both eventually, but logically speaking TOM is rather important for the final battle (where light matters most), so get that first. I have mine at 317 and will definitely take to 320.

GlamFM

Banned
Not really happy with my drops. 2 320 primaries but not 320 armor drops. Is it better to infuse those to make my TOM 320 or a on Hung Jury?

My TOM is fine where it is - you only need it for two encounters & it gets the job done just fine at 310.

I´d infuse my non exo primary.

EDIT: LOL, 2 replies - two opinions.

One thing I haven't seen any guides elaborate on for the Challenge Mode Oryx.

After you stagger him, what do you do before the phase ends? Just stand in the middle and kill adds until you have to stagger him again? Then he goes to the front for the shade phase?

GlamFM

Banned
One thing I haven't seen any guides elaborate on for the Challenge Mode Oryx.

After you stagger him, what do you do before the phase ends? Just stand in the middle and kill adds until you have to stagger him again? Then he goes to the front for the shade phase?

Exactly.

My TOM is fine where it is - you only need it for two encounters it gets the job done just fine at 310.

I´d infuse my non exo primary.

EDIT: LOL, 2 replies - two opinions.

I agree with this one. The part of the raid that requires ToM doesn't seem like it would be easier with a higher level ToM. The only thing it might do is help you fill in the gaps if people have died, but 9 times out of 10, if someone dies, everyone wants to just wipe and start fresh anyway.

Deku Tree

Yeah so we did our first CM first try. Now we've done it over and over numerous times perfectly, and every single time the fourth ogre on the fourth round teleports to the middle when it has 10% health and it screws us.

If it was lag it wouldn't be exactly the same thing every single time.

Defuser

Spent an hour dying 9 times soloing nightfall and I got a legendary sparrow...FUuuuuu

The Taken and Psions flairs are a fucking nightmare with arc burn.

No kidding, I didn't get my Dead Orbit ship until Rank 26 and 28 for New Monarchy.

I'm level 34 with DO and I'm still missing a shader and both ships.

RNG is dumb for shaders, emblems, and ships. You should be able to purchase them for glimmer and or have definable goals to get them. Even if it's "Get to Rank X to get this" at least I know it will eventually happen and I can set my expectations accordingly.

I really want those Trials shaders daw gummit

ocean

Banned
£25 for all that shit.
heh.png

Who is setting these prices?
Prices are set by consumers. Or rather, what firms believe the profit-maximizing price is considering market demand dynamics.

It's not Bungie and it's not Activision. It's the consumers who decide the pricing behind anything which succeeds in a free market :)

This is obviously not intended for us and is yet another beautiful illustration of how much "not the average consumer" we are among their player base.

maomaoIYP

Cheers Gong and Maomao that was painful solo, 1st NF 302 Gauntlets 2nd 289 Questing Beast 3rd I won't bother

No problem. I wouldn't have hopped on if I didn't see your post. NF rewards aren't really worth it. My 1st crucible NF this week did give me a 300 Eyasluna with rangefinder and hidden hand though.

WipedOut

I'm level 34 with DO and I'm still missing a shader and both ships.

RNG is dumb for shaders, emblems, and ships. You should be able to purchase them for glimmer and or have definable goals to get them. Even if it's "Get to Rank X to get this" at least I know it will eventually happen and I can set my expectations accordingly.

I really want those Trials shaders daw gummit

I've been very lucky when it comes to shaders and Ships, I have all shaders for NM and DO. The Y1 NM ship, Fermi and New DO ship. Zero Shaders and Ships for FWC though.

flkraven

Prices are set by consumers. Or rather, what firms believe the profit-maximizing price is considering market demand dynamics.

It's not Bungie and it's not Activision. It's the consumers who decide the pricing behind anything which succeeds in a free market :)

This is obviously not intended for us and is yet another beautiful illustration of how much "not the average consumer" we are among their player base.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Edit: top of page

hatersgonnahate_05d460_3317189.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom