• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

flkraven

just switched from PS4 to Xbox One Destiny.....thanks for all the memories and the amazing black spindle opening week....shit was crazy lol. All my friends who actively play are xbox one players. How is the community on here for my Bone?

XB1 community on GAF is much smaller but it is relatively equal everywhere else (LFG, reddit). I'm on XB1 and pretty active.

gt: flkRaven

Also:

The factions take different planetary mats this week. FWC = Spinmetal; NM = Relic Iron; Dead Orbit = Helium Filaments

Huge!

Mindlog

My Racer's Toolkit.
Gave me a 3 Light class item.

My Racer's Toolkit.
Can I get all my exotic swords at the same time? I mean kill all three dudes and the boss at the same time or do I have to play the strike three times?
Price is right because subclasses take way too long to level. That conflict of interest sucks.

Also.

My Racer's Toolkit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I thought your original post was a question. I see now it was a statement. Sorry for the confusion. I need more coffee this morning. I was trying to say that it doesn't surprise me they have metrics suggesting this is the best price to sell it at.
It doesn't surprise me either; it still is and will remain a terrifying notion.

It's completely their prerogative to charge for such boosters and collect their winnings. I don't begrudge them their every chance to turn a profit but the wider the scope of "what one can pay for with silver" the narrower the value proposition of buying the game in the first place. Additional "convenience" services provided outright for cash are easier to stomach if one can visualize that revenue being reinvested into the game for the benefit of all players. Subsidizing the live team, in other words, makes the proposition of selling something like this a more reasonable one whether or not you're the target market.

This is all bearing in mind the frequency and quality of live updates to the game thus far. Without ultimate context (how will this look different in the grand scheme after we see what has been released between now and a year from now?)... whether innocuous or offensive, the notion that you can buy your way to a maxed subclass right now is something that would contribute to me telling someone to at least wait to buy the game. It doesn't improve the game by itself, and I haven't seen evidence yet that putting something like this in the store is going to mean the game will get better down the line either.

There's some room to prove that there is consumer value in the new microtransaction-fueled model over the next few months if the content updates Urk was alluding to (coming sometime before mid-June 2016) are good. I wish he'd have come out and specified that they will be free but unfortunately we didn't even get that assurance.

ViciousDS

Banned

WipedOut

just switched from PS4 to Xbox One Destiny.....thanks for all the memories and the amazing black spindle opening week....shit was crazy lol. All my friends who actively play are xbox one players. How is the community on here for my Bone?

Welcome to the DXB1 family. Make sure to add GT WipedOut.

Lnkn52

This is what Jason thinks

http://kotaku.com/destiny-is-now-selling-level-boosters-and-they-sure-co-1748105644

Jason Schreier said:
In October, when we broke the news that Destiny would be getting microtransactions, my understanding was that they would be limited to cosmetics. Until now, that’s been the case—Bungie has only charged for emotes and collectible gear tied to timed events like this month’s Sparrow Racing League. Clearly plans have changed, and Bungie has taken another shaky step closer to a line that no Destiny player wants them to cross.

Destiny 2 will be balanced around the existence of these short cuts. Expect even more grinding. Get ready for Armor telemetries being locked behind a pay wall too.

but that still won't impact us as greatly, as we're supposed to be able to bring our toons with us... right, Bungie?!?!?!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Isn't the shortcut just like Battlefield Shortcuts that EA does?

Like the Assault/Engineer/Medic/Recon class cuts also the vehicle ones
He'll if you wait a year, you get the Premium edition for last years MSRP, I think it includes all the shortcuts too if I remember correctly
I think PS+ gave it away for free for one of the BF's

The incredible levels of salt in this thread just goes to show how much Bungie has poisoned the well of the community.

I honestly believe the natural state of the community is salt at this point. And it's not that the community is bad. Destiny's community is amazing. Probably the best of any game I've ever been a part of, but Bungie keeps shooting itself in the foot.

I mean, just in year two you have 2 shards for 20, grinding for rare sword mats, 0.04% buffs, Iron Banner drops that were denied being bugged, Nightfalls being gimped, etc. This summer had rebuying the whole game to buy TTK, throwing money at the screen, $40 digital collector's edition, $40 = £40, no Crucible update for 6 months, etc.

Year one had ReXurbishing, Crota's End cheeses being fixed immediately, while bugs months later. Heavy ammo glitch going 5 months without a fix. #Forever29, Global nerfs because of single OP guns, Raid guns that were useless, Skolas rewards never being fixed, etc.

Some of this stuff got fixed, but a) why was it a problem in the first place and b) the fixes often came slowly, not at all or after fixes to things that helped players. Bungie can't seem to not shoot itself in the foot.

It's been 15 months of Destiny being kinda abusive toward the players and it's taken its toll. People seem to believe Bungie hates fun, hates player progress, will do anything for a buck, etc. How much longer can this attitude persist before it completely overtakes the community?

flkraven

but that still won't impact us as greatly, as we're supposed to be able to bring our toons with us... right, Bungie?!?!?!

My predication if Destiny 2 'proper' ever gets released: we get to bring our grimoire, emblems, and shaders. Everything else is a wipe. Heck, they could just invent 3 new classes and say that Destiny 2 doesn't have a Titan, Warlock, or Hunter, making it easy to explain away that characters can't come over.

Namikaze1

Good run, guys. :)

Got a 320 pulse with firefly. All that's left is for me to get a 320 class item and my Titan is fucking set. Will have to infuse my Hunter's 320 chest on to my Titan's IB chest though.

Lnkn52

The incredible levels of salt in this thread just goes to show how much Bungie has poisoned the well of the community.

I honestly believe the natural state of the community is salt at this point. And it's not that the community is bad. Destiny's community is amazing. Probably the best of any game I've ever been a part of, but Bungie keeps shooting itself in the foot.

I mean, just in year two you have 2 shards for 20, grinding for rare sword mats, 0.04% buffs, Iron Banner drops that were denied being bugged, Nightfalls being gimped, etc. This summer had rebuying the whole game to buy TTK, throwing money at the screen, $40 digital collector's edition, $40 = £40, no Crucible update for 6 months, etc.

Year one had ReXurbishing, Crota's End cheeses being fixed immediately, while bugs months later. Heavy ammo glitch going 5 months without a fix. #Forever29, Global nerfs because of single OP guns, Raid guns that were useless, Skolas rewards never being fixed, etc.

Some of this stuff got fixed, but a) why was it a problem in the first place and b) the fixes often came slowly, not at all or after fixes to things that helped players. Bungie can't seem to not shoot itself in the foot.

It's been 15 months of Destiny being kinda abusive toward the players and it's taken its toll. People seem to believe Bungie hates fun, hates player progress, will do anything for a buck, etc. How much longer can this attitude persist before it completely overtakes the community?

62ef41c29334f36d3ba3a9d4fa9e2d73.gif

GraveRobberX

I think we will leave behind these toons as remnants
It will be like FFXIV

Destiny Year 1-2 was seriously 1.0 of FFXIV
Destiny Year 3-4 will be 2.0 A Realm Reborn scenario
You'll have remnants of the past but everything will move forward
They might throw us a bone and help us start out with an advantage for years of service

Might just crater the whole field and plateau all stars, gears, weapons and force a new start
Somethings will remain familiar but most will change up

Be kinda of crazy for new install base to "catch up", while the old guard has roughly a 2 year head start on them

Daemul

My GT is Daemul33. Add me if you want.

E92 M3

Feel free to add me, Trance Addix

Of course the game won't change now, but they already made the changes regarding XP with TTK launch. They have to establish the baseline of the mechanics before they attach a price. If they started tweaking XP numbers every few months after thousands of people hand over $30, there would be legit outrage. But at TTK launch, they did remove the free Nightfall XP buff, increase the XP to level armor and increase the XP to level sublcasses (not confirmed if original subclasses take for ever to level now, but all three of the new TTK subclasses took ages to level)

I think we will leave behind these toons as remnants
It will be like FFXIV

Destiny Year 1-2 was seriously 1.0 of FFXIV
Destiny Year 3-4 will be 2.0 A Realm Reborn scenario
You'll have remnants of the past but everything will move forward
They might throw us a bone and help us start out with an advantage for years of service

Might just crater the whole field and plateau all stars, gears, weapons and force a new start
Somethings will remain familiar but most will change up

Be kinda of crazy for new install base to "catch up", while the old guard has roughly a 2 year head start on them

but isn't that the way of MMOs? I honestly don't know, as the only MMO I played (for about 6 months) was the first Star Wars MMO.

Good run, guys. :)

Got a 320 pulse with firefly. All that's left is for me to get a 320 class item and my Titan is fucking set. Will have to infuse my Hunter's 320 chest on to my Titan's IB chest though.

I think I am going to infuse my Warlock's ToO armor to 320. The Titan IB gear is GOAT so I see why you would upgrade it.

I can't remember, did Bungie ever explicitly say they would not sell booster items for money or was it something the community just assumed? That seemed like ages ago already.

Level up packs are fine guys... it won't change the game.

I even like them in JRPGs to make my grind easy.

The reason why everyones so fucked off with it all is from Yr1 we've gone from Destiny, Dark Below and House of Wolves as a season pass, to all of a sudden TTK, Festival of The Lost, Sparrow Racing, another FoTL type event and some vague promise of something bigger, all supported by the relentless pushing of silver/MTs

We as a community should absolutely be up in arms about this, we made the game and we could as easily break it

I can't remember, did Bungie ever explicitly say they would not sell booster items for money or was it something the community just assumed? That seemed like ages ago already.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/10/14/bungie-addresses-concerns-of-fresh-destiny-microtransactions

Now, creative director Luke Smith has taken to Twitter to address concerns over the items, saying: "We aren't (nor are we planning) on selling consumables that buff King's Fall drop rates for Silver." It's entirely possible, therefore, that these items are buffs that will organically be found in the world to increase your chances of finding the loot you're after.

But while that addresses concerns around the drop rate buffs, It doesn't touch on the level-boosters. The original level boosting item was handed out to players with The Taken King expansion, so those who wished to play with their friends could do so instantly, but the subclass boost is new.

Luke also said this on GAF http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=181613460

Couple things:

The Valorous/Heuristic/Indomitable Light were Three of Coins-like buffs sold by the Speaker for Motes+Planetary Materials (I honestly don't remember exactly what they cost, [but it was never Silver] I can't keep the entire economy in my head) but for a variety of bug-related reasons they were removed. They were also - as has been pointed out - in the data files before TTK shipped.

Someone PM me when Zoba hasn't talked about TLW for a month (seriously, move on). Clock starts now ;b

LTWood12

Apparently the challenge is detonating 16 bombs at once, If you lose a bomb or two, you can do a 5th cycle. You just have to take him from 100% to 0% health w/ one detonation. Obviously doing it in four rounds is the cleanest, but isn't required.

TacticalFailure

Neo Member

I don't play as much as I used to due to a change in work and kids, but feel free to add me. GT: TacticalFailure

Edit: Apparently the golgoroth challenge cost me around $50 last night. I went over my data plan on my phone while using it as a hotspot.

It is really defeating to do two hard mode raids this morning, including the Oryx Challenge and not have those characters increase in light level...at all. Not one small inch on that progress bar.

They are 319/318/318 but it still just seems so worthless.

One last chance to get a 320 helmet, my Titan and Hunter both got 320 primaries :(

Namikaze1

I think I am going to infuse my Warlock's ToO armor to 320. The Titan IB gear is GOAT so I see why you would upgrade it.
I'm in love with the IB set. It's my favorite set in the game with the Titan ToO set a close second.

The marks though are a different story. I actually like the SRL mark a lot.

Apparently the challenge is detonating 16 bombs at once, If you lose a bomb or two, you can do a 5th cycle. You just have to take him from 100% to 0% health w/ one detonation. Obviously doing it in four rounds is the cleanest, but isn't required.

Ready to run, Lietenant Dan.

giphy.gif

So with the information that we have another Festival of the Lost, and then an event "Bigger" than Sparrow Racing, lets pose a hypothetical.

There were two things that were requested like crazy in Year 1, pretty much simultaneously. Sparrow racing was one, and the other was Ship to Ship combat.

So assuming Bungie took both of those requests to heart, and started working on them together, let's assuming for this exercise that Ship Combat is coming in March.

What's your opinion on that?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LQPB8FJ

The reason why everyones so fucked off with it all is from Yr1 we've gone from Destiny, Dark Below and House of Wolves as a season pass, to all of a sudden TTK, Festival of The Lost, Sparrow Racing, another FoTL type event and some vague promise of something bigger, all supported by the relentless pushing of silver/MTs

We as a community should absolutely be up in arms about this, we made the game and we could as easily break it

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/10/14/bungie-addresses-concerns-of-fresh-destiny-microtransactions

Now, creative director Luke Smith has taken to Twitter to address concerns over the items, saying: "We aren't (nor are we planning) on selling consumables that buff King's Fall drop rates for Silver." It's entirely possible, therefore, that these items are buffs that will organically be found in the world to increase your chances of finding the loot you're after.

But while that addresses concerns around the drop rate buffs, It doesn't touch on the level-boosters. The original level boosting item was handed out to players with The Taken King expansion, so those who wished to play with their friends could do so instantly, but the subclass boost is new.

Luke also said this on GAF http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=181613460

Couple things:

The Valorous/Heuristic/Indomitable Light were Three of Coins-like buffs sold by the Speaker for Motes+Planetary Materials (I honestly don't remember exactly what they cost, [but it was never Silver] I can't keep the entire economy in my head) but for a variety of bug-related reasons they were removed. They were also - as has been pointed out - in the data files before TTK shipped.

Someone PM me when Zoba hasn't talked about TLW for a month (seriously, move on). Clock starts now ;b

Thanks for looking that up. Ok I totally forgot about the "raid buffs," that was the thing they said they would never sell. Looks like they never said they wouldn't sell XP boosts though. There was no dishonesty in that regard. Some people on Reddit were saying they were going against their word but doesn't seem like anyone went on the record saying no XP boosts.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
With 320 helmets dropping this week, this is pretty much the final nail in the coffin to "SPARRUH RACIN!" for me. Unless they add new tracks before IB and change the loot table, the grind just isn't fun. Will just do the bounties sometimes.

There was really no reason to tie the remaining fragments to the Challenge modes. It's cool that we got a very unique Exotic out of it all this, but it's really bad design to build anticipation for something and have it be a shader.

Thanks for looking that up. Ok I totally forgot about the "raid buffs," that was the thing they said they would never sell. Looks like they never said they wouldn't sell XP boosts though. Looks like there was non dishonesty in that regard. Some people on Reddit were saying they were going against their word but doesn't seem like anyone went on the record saying no XP boosts.

Plausible deniability

Gathering the materials for the exotic swords might be the worst thing I have done in this game.

Jesus. The ability kills took me like 20 Mayhem matches to get all 3 done but after only finishing the Spinmetal grind I already want to kill myself.
I think it's literally the worst thing they ever put in the game.

GraveRobberX

but isn't that the way of MMOs? I honestly don't know, as the only MMO I played (for about 6 months) was the first Star Wars MMO.

In a MMO of course, but you have to realize this game isn't per say MMO
It's quasi-MMO but it really is a shared online shooter

MMO it would categorized if there was an auction house, livable world, named servers to keep lag/ping down
Can you imagine a GAF, EU GAF, Oceania GAF on different servers, we would never interact with each other.

All I'm saying is this game tries to use assets of MMO's like raids, grinds, economy, etc. but never the full gist
They are mimicking Guild Wars but using certain parts

Can you imagine the lag if 1,000+ guardians all descended onto a public event like in the Rocket Yards, that's why the lobbies created and shuffle players in and out help keep this game going

If we by Destiny 2 are say level 50; LL 350; hypothetically, then D2 drops, how do you infuse new players into the fold?
How do you retain older players from blowing through the content with their arsenal of gear/weapons that they amassed

The MMO's then time gate end game, do dps checks, and loot is drip Fed in till next raid tier Destiny with its RNG is really unforgiving already can you imagine the clusterfuck if all that was layered on top

You can brute force or learn a cheese mechanic, but if Destiny say for Oryx HM was that you had to be 315 overall LL to do max DPS with at least 2 weapons @ 320; for all 6 players and the CM version you be 319-320 to overcome, how many would go do it...

The grind to get to the new grind which might not even give you great results/rewards is headache inducing
What if the rewards were just +bonus stats or maybe 1 new set of extra perks but didn't overlevel you to make stuff easier...

LTWood12

Anybody got a HM Oryx checkpoint they can throw my way?

edit: I think the boosters are dumb, but no one is going to buy them anyway. I don't think they've crossed the line yet.

GlamFM

Banned
So with the information that we have another Festival of the Lost, and then an event "Bigger" than Sparrow Racing, lets pose a hypothetical.

There were two things that were requested like crazy in Year 1, pretty much simultaneously. Sparrow racing was one, and the other was Ship to Ship combat.

So assuming Bungie took both of those requests to heart, and started working on them together, let's assuming for this exercise that Ship Combat is coming in March.

What's your opinion on that?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LQPB8FJ

Exactly what I was thinking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom