• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

flkraven

If there is a 50 fragment quest that is time-gated, then that is horrible mission design. It has literally taken 3 months to be able to finish this quest, and to not receive immediate gratification afterwards is hilariously poor. It's like having a full season of football end, and then you have to wait a while before the playoffs start (and not even knowing if there will be a playoff).

btw. I know I have sounded like a stick in the mud for a bit now, but this passion comes purely from the fact that I love this game. If literally any other game pulled this micro transaction shit, I would have walked away. I'm still here because I love Destiny.

If Ship Combat does come to this game, it would be insane, but it won't heal these wounds. :p

I'll be home in a hour if anyone wants to do Oryx CM HM.

GhaleonEB

So with the information that we have another Festival of the Lost, and then an event "Bigger" than Sparrow Racing, lets pose a hypothetical.

There were two things that were requested like crazy in Year 1, pretty much simultaneously. Sparrow racing was one, and the other was Ship to Ship combat.

So assuming Bungie took both of those requests to heart, and started working on them together, let's assuming for this exercise that Ship Combat is coming in March.

What's your opinion on that?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LQPB8FJ

I never saw a lot of requests for ship to ship combat, just one now and then.

Sparrow racing works because they can take assets and mechanics already in the game and re-contextualize them into a race. Ship to ship combat would be like building a whole new game - new sandbox, mechanics, environments, etc. Bungie has experience doing that, with the Saber mission in Reach; they said at the time that it was a huge draw on development resources to make for the reasons I mentioned. I don't think that will be it. My hope is they do something closer to the core shooting experience for the 'big' event.

Very disappointed at the boosters for sale. It looks especially bad since TTK comes with the spark of light to boost your character to level 25, but it does not apply to your subclass. Want that subclass leveled too? That will be $30. It's the most Activision thing to happen to Destiny yet, and it does nothing but give Destiny and Bungie a bad name.

So with the information that we have another Festival of the Lost, and then an event "Bigger" than Sparrow Racing, lets pose a hypothetical.

There were two things that were requested like crazy in Year 1, pretty much simultaneously. Sparrow racing was one, and the other was Ship to Ship combat.

So assuming Bungie took both of those requests to heart, and started working on them together, let's assuming for this exercise that Ship Combat is coming in March.

No way this is happening as a Microtranscation event. If true, this is a Destiny 2 selling point.

maomaoIYP

Never ceases to amaze me how great the racing armor looks with almost any shader
CWR9NUSUAAU4w0-.jpg:large

Lnkn52

Sparrow racing works because they can take assets and mechanics already in the game and re-contextualize them into a race. Ship to ship combat would be like building a whole new game - new sandbox, mechanics, environments, etc. Bungie has experience doing that, with the Saber mission in Reach; they said at the time that it was a huge draw on development resources to make for the reasons I mentioned. I don't think that will be it. My hope is they do something closer to the core shooting experience for the 'big' event.

Very disappointed at the boosters for sale. It looks especially bad since TTK comes with the spark of light to boost your character to level 25, but it does not apply to your subclass. Want that subclass leveled too? That will be $30. It's the most Activision thing to happen to Destiny yet, and it does nothing but give Destiny and Bungie a bad name.

Hey, are you still interested in participating on what I sent you via PM?

Never ceases to amaze me how great the racing armor looks with almost any shader

Joseph Cross is the man

With 320 helmets dropping this week, this is pretty much the final nail in the coffin to "SPARRUH RACIN!" for me. Unless they add new tracks before IB and change the loot table, the grind just isn't fun. Will just do the bounties sometimes.

There was really no reason to tie the remaining fragments to the Challenge modes. It's cool that we got a very unique Exotic out of it all this, but it's really bad design to build anticipation for something and have it be a shader.

It is either the helmet or the primary weapon. I got 2/3 primary weapons :(

You disgust me

Ship to Ship combat would be awful, or at least not done on any level that would be any good. What I would rather they do is fix the crappy P2P matchmaking, monthly weapon balancing and roll out new strikes/PvP maps/game modes. They must be swimming in cash with all this cheap ass nonsense they're putting out

Edit usually Bungie staff are all over Twitter on a day like today but so far none of them have popped there head above the parapet

Exactly what I was thinking!

No way this is happening as a Microtranscation event. If true, this is a Destiny 2 selling point.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's likely.

We do know that Destiny is built off the old Reach Engine, so some of the assets are there. I'm sure we can hypothesize that it was probably intended to be a part of the game originally, back before things started getting cut for time here and there. Why else would we have various ships to equip, really?

I would love to see that as a Destiny 2 selling point, and agree that it is much more likely than just being an event that comes to town.

GlamFM

Banned

Also disappointed, but I think they are not crossing the line... yet.

The existence of this boost is not worth talking about IMO, but the price..... holy cow.

You disgust me

Ship to Ship combat would be awful, or at least not done on any level that would be any good. What I would rather they do is fix the crappy P2P matchmaking, monthly weapon balancing and roll out new strikes/PvP maps/game modes. They must be swimming in cash with all this cheap ass nonsense they're putting out

Edit usually Bungie staff are all over Twitter on a day like today but so far none of them have popped there head above the parapet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO0-wPUlyvI

IDK, building upon the space combat foundation they established in reach would probably be as much if not moreso than sparrow racing.

The existence of this boost is not worth talking about IMO, but the price..... holy cow.

As someone who's interested in this product for a lauch...jesus, give me all three subclasses boosted and I want an autolevel to 40 for this price

25 and only ONE subclass? lmao

neoism

I feel like I'm the only one that didn't actively participate in sparrow racing.

nah its bland and boring...and just not that fun... but why did they have to fuck with pvp....haven't wanted to play much since the patch.... and since no IB this month.........
😐

flkraven

See, I'm off the opposite opinion. The less we talk about it, the more it becomes 'okay', and the more they try to balance future content around it + push the envelope even further.

Mindlog

I secretly hope that the smaller event is an Easter Egg hunt around the tower.
I even more secretly hope that the mission involves hopping from egg to egg. I want a tower full of guardians hopping everywhere.

maomaoIYP

You disgust me

I didn't pay a single cent for any of my gear, just did the racing. It's a super quick way to earn 7 wins for the weekly crucible NFs!

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
If there is a 50 fragment quest that is time-gated, then that is horrible mission design. It has literally taken 3 months to be able to finish this quest, and to not receive immediate gratification afterwards is hilariously poor. It's like having a full season of football end, and then you have to wait a while before the playoffs start (and not even knowing if there will be a playoff).

btw. I know I have sounded like a stick in the mud for a bit now, but this passion comes purely from the fact that I love this game. If literally any other game pulled this micro transaction shit, I would have walked away. I'm still here because I love Destiny.

Precisely. It's incredibly dumb game design to build anticipation and then not reward the player. There is no reason why the 50 frags couldn't have all been organized to result in Malice. You get a straightforward, satisfying resolution with a cool reward at the end. Done. No need to tie them to Challenge Mode since you already get a bunch of stuff for that anyway.

WipedOut

See, I'm off the opposite opinion. The less we talk about it, the more it becomes 'okay', and the more they try to balance future content around it + push the envelope even further.

But it really does not affect anything. You don't have to buy it. It's for new users that don't have time to put in to get to end game content. I see nothing wrong with giving people access to and xp / subclass boost. If they want to pay for it let them. EA and other companies have been doing this for years.

GhaleonEB

In isolation, I don't think it's a big thing. What worries me at this point isn't what's for sale but what might go up for sale. I'm seldom one to make the slippery slope argument, but this is a far cry from what we thought this would be when Festival of the Lost was selling cosmetic only items. In one event we went from cosmetic only gear, to stats and quests and gear that can be light-infused behind a paywall, and now level boosters. I think Bungie has considerably blurred the line they drew when this rolled out. I still don't think we'll see weapons etc. sold outright, but the line has definitely shifted, again.

It also gives the game a bad name / rep, IMO. Just a bad road to go down.
Hey, are you still interested in participating on what I sent you via PM?
I totally forgot to reply, apologies. I'll pass, but thanks.

GlamFM

Banned
In isolation, I don't think it's a big thing. What worries me at this point isn't what's for sale but what might go up for sale. I'm seldom one to make the slippery slope argument, but this is a far cry from what we thought this would be when Festival of the Lost was selling cosmetic only items. In one event we went from cosmetic only gear, to stats and quests and gear that can be light-infused behind a paywall, and now level boosters. I think Bungie has considerably muddied the line they drew when this rolled out. I still don't think we'll see weapons etc. sold outright, but the line has definitely shifted, again.

It also gives the game a bad name / rep, IMO. Just a bad road to go down.

Absolutely true. We sure are one step closer to where it gets ugly now. I think it´s time for Luke and Urk to get in front of a camera with Jason or the IGN guys and have a talk.

I secretly hope that the smaller event is an Easter Egg hunt around the tower.
I even more secretly hope that the mission involves hopping from egg to egg. I want a tower full of guardians hopping everywhere.

The only way I would like this is if they did it like that mission for Sleeper Simulant where you go to twilight gap, by yourself, and have to find a treasure chest.

If it's something that a guide will be up on Reddit within an hour, it's a waste.

Also, games like this that have world events tend to avoid any religious based holidays, and if they do have an event around then, they turn it generic like 'winter festival' or something.

Halloween works because it's a holiday about having fun, and has very very loose religious ties.

Stuff like Easter, Christmas, or even 4th of July is usually ignored or turned generic to make it more broadly appealing.

TL;DR - Don't expect easter eggs.

WipedOut

No weapons please - and get the enemies of the track while you´re at it.

More tracks would be nice obviously.

Simple ones would be cool.

what? Weapon pick ups like wipeout would be awesome but yes agree that they should get rid of the enemies.

Also since day 1 I've been wanting a sparrow with a weapon on it. Why bungie have you not done this yet. Should make it an exotic sparrow please.

I feel like I'm the only one that didn't actively participate in sparrow racing.
I ran two races. Have had no desire for a third.

I had a very intense Skirmish match last night. Heart racing, palms sweating. I played at a much higher level than I usually do, although I know I am always capable of it. I literally could not sustain that level of intensity. I don't know how you guys who go to the Lighthouse every week do it!

Semi-related: no matter what Bungie does, a rushing shotgunner is still very hard to kill. Especially with autorifle and sniper. Need to work on my no scope headshots, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom